Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just got this babby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Very nice! Do you have matching controllers?

I'm dealing with a Saturn Tribble problem myself, in that I went from no Saturn stuff at all to two JP Saturns (one white, one grey) and more Saturn game discs than I've ever had before in my life.

So be careful!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

Just got this babby.

This is cool!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Very nice! Do you have matching controllers?

I'm dealing with a Saturn Tribble problem myself, in that I went from no Saturn stuff at all to two JP Saturns (one white, one grey) and more Saturn game discs than I've ever had before in my life.

So be careful!

I wish I had some Cool Pads but nope, got it with a black large pad.

Actually this is the TecToy Skeleton Saturn. The shell is probably based on the Japanese Derby one. No "This is Cool" on top.

Now to burn tons of Saturn ISOs. Excelsior!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

I wish I had some Cool Pads but nope, got it with a black large pad.

Actually this is the TecToy Skeleton Saturn. The shell is probably based on the Japanese Derby one. No "This is Cool" on top.

Now to burn tons of Saturn ISOs. Excelsior!

This is not cool?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

New Chrontendo episode out today. It's been a good while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Zs8kEBsyY

I'd probably never play them myself, so it's always interesting to see all those weird-rear end JP-only games. That, I think, is the best thing about this series.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’m not sure how I have a Jaguar and a CD-I but no Saturn.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Funny thing actually, I found out my brother in law still has my Saturn. We played Radiant Silvergun for a bit and had fun but the library never grabbed us. The Capcom fighters are better on MAME. Is there anything out there other than Panzer Dragoon Saga that would be worth the time to mod it or install a pseudosaturn? I don't recall the Sega first party stuff aging well either.

I mean we like a little bit of everything but nothing seems to be jumping out at us.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m not sure how I have a Jaguar and a CD-I but no Saturn.

to be fair there are more games worth playing on jaguar than saturn

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

financially racist posted:

What if I like bad JRPGs and awful arcade ports that inexplicably sell for $250 on eBay?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

falz posted:

Unfortunately this won't function. Does anyone know if you can re wire a 32x so it works in Master System mode?

Nope, because they use the same line to do their thing. The Game Genie and Virtua Racing work the same way.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Finally grabbed a copy of Contra Shattered Soldier. The early 2000's sure were a crazy time. Mandatory edgy intro fmvs with heavy metal music and gritty reboots for all. Great game nonetheless.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

what

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dishwasherlove posted:

Finally grabbed a copy of Contra Shattered Soldier. The early 2000's sure were a crazy time. Mandatory edgy intro fmvs with heavy metal music and gritty reboots for all. Great game nonetheless.

Don't worry, there's plenty of self-aware ridiculous bullshit in there too, and Neo Contra is even more over-the-top.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't worry, there's plenty of self-aware ridiculous bullshit in there too, and Neo Contra is even more over-the-top.

What, what do you mean, that game was dead ser-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azVh3H_EP6E

(I love that stupid-rear end opening theme and Sota's entire soundtrack for the game)

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've never even heard of an Atari XE before, but here's one with a lot of games complete in-box.

I have one of those in storage! It was my family's first real game console (before that, we had some awful Sears Pong clone that never worked right). I should dig it out and fire up Blue Max again, that game was amazing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, you!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Who the gently caress doesn't like the Saturn???

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every incarnation of this thread has a high concentration of weirdos who love the trashy also-ran consoles to a fault.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And also a weird group of people that randomly come out of the woodwork to proclaim that Super Mario World is a bad game

:staredog:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Eh it's no Addams Family Values but I can see why some people might like it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

And also a weird group of people that randomly come out of the woodwork to proclaim that Super Mario World is a bad game

:staredog:

Super Mario World is a great game and those posters are crazy.

Super Mario 3, on the other hand...

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
And a bunch of weirdos that claim people hate their favorite things if anyone finds any faults with them at all.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Haha, I hadn't heard of it before.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Yo my man what are you smoking

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was a homeless teenager in the days of the saturn/ps1/n64 so it's the one generation of console I've got no nostalgia for since I wasn't really exposed to much. Eventually when I got back on my feet in like, 98 the Playstation was still big and I got into it. I've played some N64 since and was generally unimpressed and the biggest impression I get from that whole era is "the hardware wasn't ready for 3D yet but gently caress it let's do it anyway and make everything look like poo poo"

Sega didn't help that impression with holding back a lot of the good Saturn 2D games from North America so it wasn't even until earlier this year that I even realized that in Japan the saturn was known as THE system for arcade ports and so many people on youtube don't even talk about the saturn that I'm only just now being exposed to it by watching old episodes of game sack, and they seem to really like the arcade ports?

I don't have one yet but I've been planning on getting one. Is the general consensus that the Saturn's arcade ports are poo poo, or is that just one poster with bad opinions?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

GutBomb posted:

I don't have one yet but I've been planning on getting one. Is the general consensus that the Saturn's arcade ports are poo poo, or is that just one poster with bad opinions?

Certain arcade genres tended to fare better on the Saturn than PSX, given the standards of the time, but that doesn't mean all the ports are still relevant today or that it didn't have its share of mediocre ports.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

I was a homeless teenager in the days of the saturn/ps1/n64 so it's the one generation of console I've got no nostalgia for since I wasn't really exposed to much. Eventually when I got back on my feet in like, 98 the Playstation was still big and I got into it. I've played some N64 since and was generally unimpressed and the biggest impression I get from that whole era is "the hardware wasn't ready for 3D yet but gently caress it let's do it anyway and make everything look like poo poo"

Sega didn't help that impression with holding back a lot of the good Saturn 2D games from North America so it wasn't even until earlier this year that I even realized that in Japan the saturn was known as THE system for arcade ports and so many people on youtube don't even talk about the saturn that I'm only just now being exposed to it by watching old episodes of game sack, and they seem to really like the arcade ports?

If you're after arcade games, have you considered a Dreamcast?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

seriously anyone who thinks the saturn is bad needs to get one cheap and use pseudo saturn to explore the library for free, the console is stuck in most people's minds as a failure because sega was awful at selling video games back then, not because it lacks good games. I'm not even talking about JRPGs and ports of 2D arcade games made obsolete by MAME, the arcade ports that still matter on Saturn are 3D stuff because it's like a consolized ST-V arcade board, the same way a dreamcast is like having a consolized Naomi.

e:

GutBomb posted:

if you want to play 2D arcade games on a console the saturn is the system for you, most of the ports are perfectly fine even today, though some things like don/dodonpachi are better on PSX

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 1, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ST-V arcade games you can play on "real" hardware with a saturn:

astra super stars
baku baku animal
cotton 2
cotton boomerang
decathelete
die hard arcade
final fight revenge
funky head boxers
golden axe: the duel
groove on fight
guardian force
hanagumi taisen columns
purikura daisakusen
puyo puyo sun
puzzle & action: sando-r
radiant silvergun
shienryu
soukygurentai/terra diver
steep slope sliders
suikoenbu
virtua fighter kids
virtua fighter remix
virtual mahjong :nws:
virtual mahjong 2 :nws:
winter heat

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 1, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're after arcade games, have you considered a Dreamcast?

I've definitely got a dreamcast and love it.

d0s posted:

if you want to play 2D arcade games on a console the saturn is the system for you, most of the ports are perfectly fine even today, though some things like don/dodonpachi are better on PSX

I've been taking a lot of advice from you lately and I'm going to continue that trend. Does pseudo saturn require a swap trick? Are there good mod chips available?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I've been taking a lot of advice from you lately and I'm going to continue that trend. Does pseudo saturn require a swap trick? Are there good mod chips available?

to use pseudo saturn you need an "action replay 4m plus" or similar (see OP). to initially flash it to the action replay you need to do a precisely timed swap trick the first time, after that it just boots burned games. I don't know anything about saturn mod chips

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

GutBomb posted:

Does pseudo saturn require a swap trick?
Just once to flash the cart from your Saturn.

E:beaten.

I found most YouTube videos and descriptions of the swap trick to be pretty terrible. Also it depends on your Saturn model.

On model 2 it requires opening the case to tape the lid sensor to make it think it's closed, boot with burned disk, swap to real disk at Saturn logo, then swap back once disk starts spinning faster. Or something.

falz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 1, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does the saturn use the same AV cable as the genesis model 2? I'm using an HD retrovision component cable on my genesis/segacd/32x monster on a nice 27" CRT and it would be nice if this worked on the saturn too.

:retrogames:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Does the saturn use the same AV cable as the genesis model 2? I'm using an HD retrovision component cable on my genesis/segacd/32x monster on a nice 27" CRT and it would be nice if this worked on the saturn too.

no, but it does do RGB out and SCART cables are readily available. this is why it is better to invest in a SCART->component box than retrovision cables

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

no, but it does do RGB out and SCART cables are readily available. this is why it is better to invest in a SCART->component box than retrovision cables

I have one of those too that I'm currently using with my raspberry pi and a pi2scart (for MAME games to look right on a CRT at their proper resolution)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

GutBomb posted:

They sell an adapter to make it work on the Saturn.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

GutBomb posted:

I've definitely got a dreamcast and love it.

I just dropped a Phantom Universal into my Saturn to play burned games. It does require soldering, but it works on every model of Saturn.

However, it doesn't break the region lock. Still need an action replay for that.

https://www.r43ds.org/products/Phantom-Universal-Sega-Saturn-Modchip.html

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My Life in Gaming did a video about the two Saturn SD slot options that looked neat, but I probably just wait for the one that plugs into the back of the Saturn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJnHbBd_sC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Any reason not to get a japanese Saturn (other than waiting for it to arrive) since I''ll be using a pseudo saturn?