Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

RE the AC:Origins benchmarks, the 4C/8T 7700K being 50% faster than the 4C/4C 7600K is pretty crazy.

It's too bad they don't have the 8600K on the list as a point of comparison against the 8700K.

Word is that AC: Origins is using multiple types of CPU-heavy DRM simultaneously, it may not be representative of modern game engines in general:

https://torrentfreak.com/assassins-creed-origin-drm-hammers-gamers-cpus-171030/

You need an 8 thread CPU so that 4 threads can run the DRM while the other 4 run the game. I know this is just rumormongering at this point, but performance has improved in other games when Denuvo was removed so it's not that outlandish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Word is that AC: Origins is using multiple types of CPU-heavy DRM simultaneously, it may not be representative of modern game engines in general:

https://torrentfreak.com/assassins-creed-origin-drm-hammers-gamers-cpus-171030/

You need an 8 thread CPU so that 4 threads can run the DRM while the other 4 run the game. I know this is just rumormongering at this point, but performance has improved in other games when Denuvo was removed so it's not that outlandish.

I find that very hard to believe, but if so it's ridiculous. Using half the computer's power just for DRM?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
128 lanes of pcie gen4? Holy balls. :stare:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

feedmegin posted:

I find that very hard to believe, but if so it's ridiculous. Using half the computer's power just for DRM?

It's a Ubisoft game, so it's pretty believable

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

feedmegin posted:

The rumor is slowly working its way to slightly more reputable blogs: https://www.techpowerup.com/238377/cpus-bare-brunt-of-ubisoft-deploying-vmprotect-above-denuvo-for-ac-o

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

We should be able to see "clean" benchmarks once someone cracks it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Plus it shouldn't be that hard to just profile it and see where it's spending cycles. But let's rumormonger instead.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

We should be able to see "clean" benchmarks once someone cracks it.

Probably not, these VM-based DRM systems mangle the executable so much that it's practically impossible to reverse them back into the original binary.

They usually get cracked by leaving the DRM in place but spoofing the environment around it so the licence checks succeed.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol neither the crack scene nor Ubisoft are trustworthy but the latter just released a statement about this

quote:

Ubisoft: AC Origins’ DRM On PC Has No “Perceptible Effect” On Game Performance
http://gearnuke.com/assassins-creed-origins-anti-tamper-tech-pc/

Rumors circulating the web indicated that the DRM solution was implemented at the cost of CPU usage with an additional 40% usage recorded purely for the purpose of DRM, however Ubisoft has confirmed to us in a statement that this is not true and that the DRM has no effect on the performance of the game on PC. “We’re confirming that the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin’s Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance, ” said Ubisoft in an official statement.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, because THAT'S supposed to be so much more reassuring. "Noooo, it's not the DRM that's doing it! Our game just runs like absolute poo poo on its own!"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

RE the AC:Origins benchmarks, the 4C/8T 7700K being 50% faster than the 4C/4C 7600K is pretty crazy.

It's too bad they don't have the 8600K on the list as a point of comparison against the 8700K.

The cracker community is saying that most of that overhead goes to calling their DRM library hundreds of times per second, which kinda implies that once they crack that poo poo the cracked version should run a ton better on more modest hardware.

Hasn't stopped the AMD fanbois from proclaiming this to be the future of gaming titles :tif:

edit: apparently I am a page behind.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Lmao that the reason we need more multicore power in the future is because we need to have loving 120 threads for some obtuse as gently caress DRM while 8 run the software.

eames
May 9, 2009

i guess that's one way to make games scale with cores...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FaustianQ posted:

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/925348852147908608

So doubled cores, quadrupled L3, doubled PCIE lanes for Zen2 is what they are predicting/leaking. CanardPC was responsible for some very accurate leaks about Ryzen early on the 5Ghz single core on air notwithstanding (apparently from a CPU-Z dump?). Would mean the base processor for the AM4 platform is a 16C/32T monster and everyone will feel weird about Threadripper until the 32C, 28C, 24C and 20C TRs get released.
Or maybe just double the CCX on the package? Then again, that would get awfully cramped.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The cracker community is saying that most of that overhead goes to calling their DRM library hundreds of times per second, which kinda implies that once they crack that poo poo the cracked version should run a ton better on more modest hardware.
Gotta admire their tenacity about this DRM thing. The more complex versions don't delay pirated releases significantly. They might as well just drop in some token copy protection scheme to make casual copying impractical, because that's what the complex ones still only do, and leave it at that.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 1, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Or maybe just double the CCX on the package? Then again, that would get awfully cramped.

Nah, for 64C on current Summit processors you'd only have 128MB of L3 Cache, and to have 256MB you'd obviously have 128 cores or 16 Summit processors. The other hint is that it's still only Octochannel memory.

Still wondering at the doubled L3 though, like aren't there diminishing returns on larger L3s and wouldn't it be better to hit a more optimum size and go for better latency characteristics?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AC:O's "anti-tamper" solution is to literally run the DRM in a non-hardware assisted, software-based x86 virtualization wrapper. Even if that's using some kind of magical dynamic translation engine that's still going to eat cores like a hot drat.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

AC:O's "anti-tamper" solution is to literally run the DRM in a non-hardware assisted, software-based x86 virtualization wrapper. Even if that's using some kind of magical dynamic translation engine that's still going to eat cores like a hot drat.

That's how most (somewhat) effective DRM systems work, although the VM is often a custom design rather than based on x86. The trick is to only VM-ify parts of the code that aren't in the hot path so performance doesn't go to poo poo.

Doom 2016, MGS5, Mad Max, etc all used VM protection and ran fine because the developers weren't dumbasses and only wrapped performance insensitive code.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Doing full software virtualization and throwing the hot path and friends in is absolutely mindblowingly retarded though.

It's not quite "they just threw Denuvo in a QEMU instance" but it's drat close.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Nah, for 64C on current Summit processors you'd only have 128MB of L3 Cache, and to have 256MB you'd obviously have 128 cores or 16 Summit processors. The other hint is that it's still only Octochannel memory.

Still wondering at the doubled L3 though, like aren't there diminishing returns on larger L3s and wouldn't it be better to hit a more optimum size and go for better latency characteristics?

The rule of thumb is that doubling the cache size reduces your miss rate by sqrt(2), or ~1.41x. So yeah at some point it's good enough and you will start crowding out other stuff or increasing latency.

It sounds to me like they are going to 8-core CCXs.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

repiv posted:

That's how most (somewhat) effective DRM systems work, although the VM is often a custom design rather than based on x86. The trick is to only VM-ify parts of the code that aren't in the hot path so performance doesn't go to poo poo.

Doom 2016, MGS5, Mad Max, etc all used VM protection and ran fine because the developers weren't dumbasses and only wrapped performance insensitive code.

According to people on Twitter stepping through the assembly, it goes to the VM every time the character moves, so NBD I'm sure.

E: the VMs plural because I guess there are two layers of it and one(?) is 'fractional' so it spawns a bunch of them... somehow? IDK how something like that would work at all unless what they're seeing is two VM layers per thread

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 1, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

According to people on Twitter stepping through the assembly, it goes to the VM every time the character moves, so NBD I'm sure.

Ubisoft never fails to disappoint :allears:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

The rule of thumb is that doubling the cache size reduces your miss rate by sqrt(2), or ~1.41x. So yeah at some point it's good enough and you will start crowding out other stuff or increasing latency.

It sounds to me like they are going to 8-core CCXs.

Well yea, but even then they're still doubling the cache per core, so 4MB instead of 2MB per core. It's the one part of the"leak" that I think is bullshit, everything else is moderately believable, even a theoretical 64 PCIE lanes per die.

Actually, gently caress are there even motherboards that'd be capable of utilizing a full theoretical 128 PCIE lanes?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Well yea, but even then they're still doubling the cache per core, so 4MB instead of 2MB per core. It's the one part of the"leak" that I think is bullshit, everything else is moderately believable, even a theoretical 64 PCIE lanes per die.

Actually, gently caress are there even motherboards that'd be capable of utilizing a full theoretical 128 PCIE lanes?

You can do up to 7 slots in an EATX/SSI-CEB form factor, PCPP says there was one 8-slot board on LGA1155 that used an ATX-XL form factor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

repiv posted:

So the point of the VM is to have the DRM implemented in an unknown instruction set, so that it can't be easily reverse engineered?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If all else fails you could route them to a shitload of U.2 ports (4 lanes each).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

So the point of the VM is to have the DRM implemented in an unknown instruction set, so that it can't be easily reverse engineered?

http://vmpsoft.com/
Pretty much:

VMProtect posted:

VMProtect protects code by executing it on a virtual machine with non-standard architecture

It can do this over and over:

VMProtect posted:

Each time you protect the application, VMProtect generates a completely different set of virtual machines, so even if a cracker finally understand an architecture of the particular virtual machine, he has to start from the very beginning for the second protected procedure of the same file.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

repiv posted:

If all else fails you could route them to a shitload of U.2 ports (4 lanes each).

This is probably the biggest use case. Light up a storage server with 32 full-speed U.2 ports for fast enterprise SSDs with a single CPU.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

HalloKitty posted:

http://vmpsoft.com/
Pretty much:

It can do this over and over:

"You asked me to design a next-generation piracy countermeasure. It's not my fault it requires next-generation hardware to work!" - an engineer

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gotta admire their tenacity about this DRM thing. The more complex versions don't delay pirated releases significantly. They might as well just drop in some token copy protection scheme to make casual copying impractical, because that's what the complex ones still only do, and leave it at that.

Not to defend DRM that just wastes cycles but AC:O is apparently uncracked a week on while Wolfenstein literally got cracked two days before the game actually launched with their CTO whining about piracy. Watch Dogs 2 was another Ubisoft release which managed to delay a crack release buy a couple months.

There was an interesting article on arstechnica a while back that delaying a cracked release by a couple months results in a material impact on sales.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Not to defend DRM that just wastes cycles but AC:O is apparently uncracked a week on while Wolfenstein literally got cracked two days before the game actually launched with their CTO whining about piracy. Watch Dogs 2 was another Ubisoft release which managed to delay a crack release buy a couple months.

There was an interesting article on arstechnica a while back that delaying a cracked release by a couple months results in a material impact on sales.

yeah what with how heavily AAA game sales are weighted around time of release it doesn't need to be permanently uncrackable, just uncrackable while there's launch buzz. it's just a shame that people who actually bought the game get treated like criminals. i mean ubisoft could try making more interesting games with a more sustainable business model and... who am i kidding; 42 nested vms and biometric authentication it is

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 2, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Watchdogs 2 took months to crack? Wouldn't have thought that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Game released Nov 15, 2016. First crack was Jan 18 apparently.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Watchdogs 2 took months to crack? Wouldn't have thought that.

yeah as drm goes denuvo is pretty loving effective at the purpose it was designed for. obviously as a concept the whole thing remains a stupid loving idea, but it is slightly less openly contemptuous of your customers than lying to them about why the singleplayer game they paid money for needs a constant internet connection a la simcity

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Too bad denuvo gets cracked in a few hours now

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PerrineClostermann posted:

There’s only a few people who know how to break it, depending on the engine. This year’s Life Is Strange sequel was easier than many games because it uses Unity for some reason I’m not hardcore enough to understand.

Also, a few high profile games that remove it after launch month get so much attention that it ignores the big list of games that have been broken but haven’t removed it anyway. There was a big old list of games that weren’t cracked until someone came on the scene with a new identity, cracked a lot of them, and then disappeared back into the unknown.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

obviously just needs more vms fam

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It'd be hilarious if AMD does a "Powered by AMD" technical partnership with game devs to drive multi process utilization by spamming DRM VMs.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Wouldn't be that different than Nvidia and gameworks tesselation

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Crashing Ryzen update:

I took the computer apart and dusted off all the components - which were clean anyway, since I thoroughly dusted them off a few months ago when I first built the system, but figured that it can't do any harm. Then put everything back together, zerofilled the drives and reinstalled everything from the ground up.... and the system is now bulletproof. I don't get it. I know we've come a long way since the DLL hell days of Win9x, but sometimes the guy's gotta wonder, as I have no rational explanation for this. Hooray I guess? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's just how computers work these days. Doing the exact same thing over and over is not guaranteed to produce same or even similar results. :shrug: