Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, my K70 RGB had Reds and everytime I sneezed or coughed with my fingers on the board I typed out a sentence. I don't see how anyone can use linear switches that light.

I like them for gaming, but for day to day typing I'm absolutely in love with my blacks. Getting very curious about dark grays though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I'm looking to replace my old Razer Black Widow at some point, and I really want a keyboard that has:

-Blues or some other kind of clicky switch
-A volume wheel/roller - I had one on the keyboard that came with my 2003 Dell and drat that thing was handy
-Backlighting

The closest things I found are the:

Azio L80 which has everything I want on paper, but the OP warns against Kailh switches. The price is definitely attractive, but if it's too cheap that has me concerned. I also like they way the keys themselves sit on the frame so it's easy to dust.

The Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum has all the features I want and some I don't, but it's expensive, and their proprietary switches feel too light for my liking and aren't clicky.

The Das Keyboard has the switches I like but no backlighting, so I ruled that out.

What would you experts suggest? I use it purely for typing, so 1337 G@/\/\3r features like programmable macros aren't necessary.

MagicHateBall
Dec 11, 2002

Humans were drinking alcohol five thousand years ago, and they're still drinking it now. Alcohol is humanity's friend.

Can I abandon a friend?

Sunshine89 posted:

I'm looking to replace my old Razer Black Widow at some point, and I really want a keyboard that has:

-A volume wheel/roller - I had one on the keyboard that came with my 2003 Dell and drat that thing was handy
-Backlighting

<snip>

How about the Logitech G610? It's the same layout as the 810, but with Cherry Browns and white backlighting instead of RGB.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Corsair K70 meets that need, but the glyphs on the new ones look like absolute poo poo, and the caps can't easily be replaced because the bottom row isn't standard.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

G-Prime posted:

Corsair K70 meets that need, but the glyphs on the new ones look like absolute poo poo, and the caps can't easily be replaced because the bottom row isn't standard.

Awesome, this is my new top pick.

MagicHateBall posted:

How about the Logitech G610? It's the same layout as the 810, but with Cherry Browns and white backlighting instead of RGB.

This has basically everything I want (I'm not picky about the colour it lights up as long as it lights up) and the price is right, just wish they made one with Blues instead of Browns.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sunshine89 posted:

-Backlighting

The closest things I found are the:

Azio L80 which has everything I want on paper, but the OP warns against Kailh switches. The price is definitely attractive, but if it's too cheap that has me concerned. I also like they way the keys themselves sit on the frame so it's easy to dust.

The Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum has all the features I want and some I don't, but it's expensive, and their proprietary switches feel too light for my liking and aren't clicky.

The Das Keyboard has the switches I like but no backlighting, so I ruled that out.

What would you experts suggest? I use it purely for typing, so 1337 G@/\/\3r features like programmable macros aren't necessary.

I have the G810 and it’s absolutely perfect for gaming, I really like it and it’s fun to write scripts to make the LEDs do neat stuff. The switches are really great too

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is the ~` key on a different layer on these 60% keyboards that I keep seeing?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Sunshine89 posted:

Awesome, this is my new top pick.

This has basically everything I want (I'm not picky about the colour it lights up as long as it lights up) and the price is right, just wish they made one with Blues instead of Browns.

G710 (not G710+) has blues. I have one at work (and a G710+ with browns at home) and it's great. Volume control and media keys are awesome. I get a good amount of use out of the programmable G keys, but that obviously depends on what tasks you do and how much they can be automated.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Odette posted:

Is the ~` key on a different layer on these 60% keyboards that I keep seeing?

Pok3r makes it Fn+Esc or Shift+Esc, on the base layer, depending on which of the two you want.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

G-Prime posted:

Pok3r makes it Fn+Esc or Shift+Esc, on the base layer, depending on which of the two you want.

Neat. I'm considering going down the DIY rabbithole with a GH60. Anyone who's done this, any advice would be pretty awesome.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
ugh ugh ugh

I thought this Massdrop annoyance would be it for me re mechanical keyboards, but now I am reading articles about DIY keebs

what did you do to me, thread

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Odette posted:

Neat. I'm considering going down the DIY rabbithole with a GH60. Anyone who's done this, any advice would be pretty awesome.

I'd recommend doing something like the GH60 or Infinity 60% or Zeal60 over the Pok3r cause their firmware is completely programmable letting you do whatever the hell you want with the different layers. I'd also recommend using a layout that moves backspace to where the \| key is and learning to really like it as a simple method to prevent you from buying a million new keyboards afterwards.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

ugh ugh ugh

I thought this Massdrop annoyance would be it for me re mechanical keyboards, but now I am reading articles about DIY keebs

what did you do to me, thread

I warned you in the OP. :v:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I know, I should've listened; I should've believed that it could happen to me, but I was young and brash and now must pay the price for my hubris

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Odette posted:

Advice / Things to note:

- Going DIY is going to cost you more, how much more depends on how much you ball out on certain parts. Case, PCB, switches, stabs and keycaps add up. A lot.

- Don't bother with a GH60 or a Satan GH60 (improved China knockoff), use a DZ60 PCB instead which is an improvement over both and also already includes underglow RGB LEDs and supports QMK.

- Don't bother with a Zeal60. I like Zeal, but $130 USD for a PCB is goddamn ridiculous, even if it's the only programmable 60% with RGB in-switch LEDs. (technically, you can get an igk61 / igk64 full RGB PCB for $40 but it's only programmable through really lovely Chinese software)

- You don't actually need to learn or build QMK as there are online configurators available to program your board, but it's nice to know.

- Use genuine Cherry stabilizers

- Skip using Cherry switches, there's much better choices out there for all of linear, tactile or clicky MX switches. I mean if you're going to use Cherry switches, you might as well get a pre-built board. Exception is for Cherry MX Clears

- Acrylic cases are nice, but I find that most people grow out of it and move on to wood or metal cases. Up to you if you want to skip this step and go ahead with wood and aluminium. But yeah, $$$.

- If you're considering making your PCB have hotswappable switches, don't use Holtites, they're poo poo unless the PCB holes are a perfect fit. Use these instead (soldering required, though): https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/0305-2-15-80-47-80-10-0/ED90584-ND/2639493

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 30, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Goddamn I haven't made a PCB since high school and let me tell you that is one loving disgusting process. Like 10x worse than brewing your own beer.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

pr0zac posted:

I'd also recommend using a layout that moves backspace to where the \| key is and learning to really like it as a simple method to prevent you from buying a million new keyboards afterwards.

This is so true. I love having backspace there now that I'm used to it, but it means I'm constantly hitting \ instead of backspace when I use other keyboards.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

K-Type is pretty hot. drat well better have been for the price.

So far no complaints and the Halo Clears work for me.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

Nephzinho posted:

Where did you get that case? There's a similar one in rosewood up in massdrop right now, but I love that walnuty finish.

e; Looks like $150 on Datamancer :(

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/60-keyboard-wood-case

It's this one. A lot cheaper, though it takes a while to ship to the US. Fits poker and most 60% keyboards but none of that annepro stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not totally crazy about it. Might prefer it without the accents.

Not bad though, and the DSA ABS caps feel surprisingly good. Hopefully they last.

I really like that there's a "FUNCTION" alternate for the capslock. Perhaps I'll put these on my Pok3r where that'd be accurate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

teethgrinder posted:

K-Type is pretty hot. drat well better have been for the price.

So far no complaints and the Halo Clears work for me.

Noice, mine should be coming in either today or tomorrow. Really still wish it was a darker aluminium though. I also prefer a 75% now since the time I've ordered it, but we'll see.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The tool for customising it and manuals and crap aren't even really ready yet. Maybe November 5?

So unless you flash some basic firmware to it (and know how to do that), it's currently stuck in perpetual moving rainbow mode.

But that said, I think the light aluminum works very well with the lighting. The white caps too.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Right, had the itch for a new board after promising myself I wouldn’t get one. Had several over the years as such (bearing in mind I mainly game on my PC at home but still use it for other stuff):

Blackwidow with MX Blues – loved it

Cherry made board with MX Reds – Was cool and quicker for games if light but was US layout. I missed my big return key.

Corsair K70 with Reds – Felt nice and looked cool at the time (gamerz) but made a lot of typing mistakes and wasn’t sure on no casing

Blackwidow Chroma – Didn’t like the cheap feeling switches

K70 RGB – Felt even lighter for some reason and found my hands were tense as I wasn’t resting when typing worried about mistypes.

Ducky Shine 5 MX Brown – Did like this but didn’t find the Ducky as amazing as I thought? (Got a secret mouse too that was kinda meh). Having the bump helped typing and was quick but felt a little scratchy and membrane like. Wasn’t sure if they were on par with reds?

Currently I have a v2 Widow I got as a bday gift. The wrist rest is super comfortable and I like the clickyness again. The switches feel a little better (greetech maybe) but I’m not sure if I could really argue they were good for games? I don’t really like the keycaps as they feel super cheap in comparison and seem to wear more.

I know its dumb but I like the RGB a bit? Mainly for things like overwatch and diablo where it does some neat reactive stuff across my KB+M. Due to worries about the Razer build quality and how the deathadder didn’t really seem as good as G502 I tried I was thinking of getting a new mouse, probs a Logitech one so started looking again thinking I should get a matching set etc. Gone all around the houses and managed to get myself in an indecisiveness hole.

Lots of places say how great the K95 with speeds is but I’m not sure if they live up to the hype or are just a pain, the Logitech board was interesting but had new switches I wasn’t 100% on (not sure how well the lighting works as its under your fingers too) or I just not give a drat about silly RGB profiles etc splash out on another ducky or something and a separate wrist rest and possibly get one with blues? Unless people think I really shouldn’t use blues for games.

Getting the feeling people are gonna say RGB is pretty dumb, get a good keyboard from like mech boards and whatever mouse etc etc. Is the rec going to be a Mechkeyboards board with blues? I’m actually in the US the next week would they ship a UK board to my hotel or would I need to send abroad

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Got a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns as baby's first mechanical keyboard. The actuation force is surprisingly light, so I am getting used to that. No accidental double-input or anything, and my fingers feel less tired typing now, so that's great.

Going from a Microsoft Sculpt, my typing experience feels a little cramped? I guess I can get used to typing on a regular-shaped keyboard, but now I'm also looking at ergonomic split mechkeebs. I hear a lot about the ErgoDox and Freestyle Edge, but I would really like one that would most likely have custom caps out there. Seems like many sets have (had) ErgoDox-compatible caps, and the Freestyle seems to be 95% regular keycaps, but do you guys have any other recommendations?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Got a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns as baby's first mechanical keyboard. The actuation force is surprisingly light, so I am getting used to that. No accidental double-input or anything, and my fingers feel less tired typing now, so that's great.

Going from a Microsoft Sculpt, my typing experience feels a little cramped? I guess I can get used to typing on a regular-shaped keyboard, but now I'm also looking at ergonomic split mechkeebs. I hear a lot about the ErgoDox and Freestyle Edge, but I would really like one that would most likely have custom caps out there. Seems like many sets have (had) ErgoDox-compatible caps, and the Freestyle seems to be 95% regular keycaps, but do you guys have any other recommendations?

While Ergodox do have compatible custom caps. Its a biiiiiiiiitttch to find a lot of them and they usually are pretty expensive. I got a set of blank caps from Pimp My Keyboard than ran over $100. My "expensive" set ended up costing nearly $250.

The major issue is that you need a shitload of 2U (enter keys) and 1.5U (caps lock sized) keys, which you dont get many in regular sets so you really need to find specific keysets with ergodox support for them. E.g. if you see an alpha set you like but no dox support, you need to try either sourcing blanks from somewhere or it look jank as gently caress. like so

That being said, you can end up with a really sweet looking board if you get a good set of caps and Ergodoxes are loving awesome. Pic isnt my board but is the same set up

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

namaste faggots posted:

Goddamn I haven't made a PCB since high school and let me tell you that is one loving disgusting process. Like 10x worse than brewing your own beer.

How the hell did you make your pcbs? It's super easy just a bit dirty depending on how you do it

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Ergodox advice

Thanks :) Looks like I'll be saving up for an ErgoDox EZ then :shepspends:

Unrelated, any other Varmilo VA87M owners able to swap the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys? According to the manual I just need to hold Fn+LCtrl for 3 seconds until the Caps Lock light blinks three times, but it never blinks and the function never swaps. Is this actually not a feature of this keyboard, despite the manual claiming thus?

http://www.varmilo.com/resources/upload/software__20170804151948.pdf

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Thanks :) Looks like I'll be saving up for an ErgoDox EZ then :shepspends:

Unrelated, any other Varmilo VA87M owners able to swap the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys? According to the manual I just need to hold Fn+LCtrl for 3 seconds until the Caps Lock light blinks three times, but it never blinks and the function never swaps. Is this actually not a feature of this keyboard, despite the manual claiming thus?

http://www.varmilo.com/resources/upload/software__20170804151948.pdf

Depending on where you live i can recommend some suppliers that can build/ship parts to build an ergodox for you. Cheaper than an EZ but slightly less flashy.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks! I live in Houston TX

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
This is probably a super dumb suggestion, but did you try fn + caps (instead of control)?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Thanks! I live in Houston TX

http://shop.profetkeyboards.com

Check out these guys

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

forkbucket posted:

This is probably a super dumb suggestion, but did you try fn + caps (instead of control)?

Yup. It just turns on Caps Lock :v:

Thanks! I'll check them out

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

pr0zac posted:

I'd recommend doing something like the GH60 or Infinity 60% or Zeal60 over the Pok3r cause their firmware is completely programmable letting you do whatever the hell you want with the different layers. I'd also recommend using a layout that moves backspace to where the \| key is and learning to really like it as a simple method to prevent you from buying a million new keyboards afterwards.

unggg is that 3run? I just ordered it from the MD recap sale. I think I'm gonna toss it on a xd64.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i hadn't seen mito gmk laser yet and it is loving attractive https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-gmk-laser-custom-keycap-set

drop starts nov 3

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

emdash posted:

i hadn't seen mito gmk laser yet and it is loving attractive https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-gmk-laser-custom-keycap-set

drop starts nov 3

Urgh. I backed out of the revamped pulse set last week to buy a 2nd hand Sky Dolch set. Looks like my savings are taking another hit then.

mewse
May 2, 2006

emdash posted:

drop starts nov 3

:shepspends:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm way happier with the Miami caps after removing most of the mods I had. Hell it'd look great completely on the default keys.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

One issue for the OCD, every single cap has a slight divot on the front edge. I haven't had that issue with any other caps I've bought. Seems like poor design ... if that's necessary for this ABS double-shot process ... maybe put it on the top edge where it isn't typically visible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

One issue for the OCD, every single cap has a slight divot on the front edge. I haven't had that issue with any other caps I've bought. Seems like poor design ... if that's necessary for this ABS double-shot process ... maybe put it on the top edge where it isn't typically visible.

Actually I'm pretty sure Signature Plastics is infallible so you can't be correct.

I checked your posts because I like your miami dolch set and saw you're also in Canada. I got the SA miami set from mechkeys.ca like 2 days after ordering because they were in-country already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
K-Type came in. It's not as blindingly bright as the videos made it look. The aluminum is gorgeous, and the magnetic bar they set up to incline it is great. Feels premium all around. The glyphs look questionable to me (I don't like side-by-side), but the caps themselves feel nice. I made a mistake in that I bought the version with the Kailh reds (back before I realized I wanted a heavier switch). Now trying to figure out next steps. Thinking about buying a bunch of Cherry MX RGB Blacks, and replacing the springs in half of them with something roughly equivalent to Dark Greys. I'm told that Kailh switches can't easily have the springs swapped, which is what's driving me that direction, but if anybody knows a decent way to do that I'd love to hear it.

Need to decide if I want to do different caps on it too. So many decisions to make.