Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Selene still has Fey Wind, which is a dps buff. What the heck are you guys smoking?

Fairy dust duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I inject it directly into my veins.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

My RAF friend resubbed for 6 months and now I'm the proud owner of a barrel rolling dragon with chicken legs :3:

EDIT:

Why the gently caress isn't the Proto Ultima Mesh dyeable :psyduck:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bolow posted:

Why the gently caress isn't the Proto Ultima Mesh dyeable :psyduck:

Proto Ultima fanfest raid got our hopes up. Adding it as a sub-boss in an existing raid was the troll move, making the mesh un-dyeable was the salt thrown in our faces.

(I never actually bought the mesh)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Selene still has Fey Wind, which is a dps buff. What the heck are you guys smoking?

i'm smoking free-convalescene-and-dark-mind-for-the-whole-raid, it's good poo poo

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in extremely echo chamber voice mistel, you're using the wrong fairy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I mean it still exists, some people seem to be under the impression that they got rid of it years ago.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Jinh posted:

Yeah they did a big fairy rework, I think when heavensward came out or a patch or two after, that changed most of their abilities and messed with sch in a bunch of other ways. I think selene used to provide some kinda magic damage boost? She was considered the dpsing sch fairy at the time while eos was the boring safe one. But that's gone now.
That difference still exists, the big reason people generally use Eos and not Selene now is because encounter design has shifted towards more frequent/heavy raid damage than it was back in 2.0. In 2.0 Eos was just as good at supporting healing as now, it was just complete overkill for the encounters that existed at the time. Selene did have different buffs, instead of the AoE Esuna she had separate (and more effective) skill/spell speed buffs, which might have helped Eos more in the spotlight too. But it's primarily AoE damage in encounters having gone up compared to 2.0.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I use Selene a lot*

*In the situation where there are two scholars and the other one spawns with Eos and won't swap

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean it still exists, some people seem to be under the impression that they got rid of it years ago.

Selene went from having seperate 30% spell speed and skill speed buffs to just having one 3% attack speed buff. It was a pretty massive nerf.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Didn't they also massively increase the uptime or is it my turn to be huffing farts?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ShowTime posted:

Sorry, I did mean Savage. I typed that on mobile waiting on an appt.

I'll PM you to talk about some of the details of your group, like what day/time, etc.

I'm too cheap to buy Platinum, shoot me a message on Discord (Estelle Auberlaint, Smug Elezen#4324) if you like. We should be getting underway soon, hopefully this reset; I probably would have gotten things rolling sooner but I've had the flu for a week and haven't felt like doing anything besides dying.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The amount of good glamour pieces that are locked behind DoH/DoL in Stormblood is maddening.

I really like the i180/200 Botanist stuff for the hippie organic gardener look.

SLAY TREES, DEATH TO THE ELEMENTALS

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

You will never need Eos's (very good) healing abilities outside of current savage raids and extreme trials. The 50% uptime 3% attack speed boost is still worth taking Selene for in literally all other PVE content.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
intelligent use of eos' abilities will get you a few extra broils and probably one extra energy drain per minute even in easy content, though admittedly it's pretty much a wash and selene is less effort to use

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Riding the GCD for the entirety of the speed buff nets everyone about one free GCD. You can figure out if it's worth it from there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nobody in speed running has looked too hard into Selene as I understood it. You gain less than a gcd per haste but you probably only need half of those GCDs across the raid to be completed to make up for any lost healer GCDs from lack of whispering dawn or embrace (especially AST dps gcds). This thinking basically underpins the whole pet swap to Selene mid fight theorycrafting.

Nobody really wants to fuss with it though cause hasting the raid can get real dumb when TA windows are involved. On one hand you might maximize usage under windows, on the other you might have gained enough gcds that your best abilities slide out from the window. And this is setting aside interruptions to uptime.

You get a similar conversation when you start talking about AST and arrow.

As a random aside I don't think people realize how much the speedrunning community has kind of just died for the moment or been uninterested in this tier.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 1, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm finally starting to get i330 gear on my MNK and have just started to look at melding some materia. All of the pieces seem to be +Skill Speed and +Determination, which left me with like 750 Crit...

I take it just slotting +40 Crits into everything that will take them isn't the worst idea? And do Direct Hit for gear that actually Crit built in?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Once you get past all of the Trio attacks in Phase 3 of Ultimate Bahamut, you need to kill both Twintania and Nael on the field at the same time, which also involves placing Liquid Hells in places that are away from Neurolinks so that hatches can be solved properly. Taking too long makes you die to Bahamut's teraflare probably.

I imagine it's probably apt to call that phase 4.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I ran Lakshmi seven times and she didn't drop a dog once.

:negative:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Once you get past all of the Trio attacks in Phase 3 of Ultimate Bahamut, you need to kill both Twintania and Nael on the field at the same time, which also involves placing Liquid Hells in places that are away from Neurolinks so that hatches can be solved properly. Taking too long makes you die to Bahamut's teraflare probably.

In a Mr. Happy guide that would be phase 96.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's more going on during any of the trio attacks than there is during an entire phase of o3s, tbh

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Rhymenoserous posted:

In a Mr. Happy guide that would be phase 96.

"And in this 150 phase fight,"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

there's more going on during any of the trio attacks than there is during an entire phase of o3s, tbh

“You guys wanted more GCO right?”

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
3 hour long mr happy video on how to do ultimate INC

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Holyshoot posted:

"Uhh I don't know what this marker means, I just died for no reason. Onto phase 42"

Gotta get those videos out first!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I ran Lakshmi seven times and she didn't drop a dog once.

:negative:

I've run Lakshmi.. *check* over 32 times and saw a dog drop once.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I've started playing this game again. Are any goons still playing on Faerie? My FC only has a handful of people left, and it'd be nice to have a linkshell or something else to fill the gap.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Phone posted:

I'm finally starting to get i330 gear on my MNK and have just started to look at melding some materia. All of the pieces seem to be +Skill Speed and +Determination, which left me with like 750 Crit...

I take it just slotting +40 Crits into everything that will take them isn't the worst idea? And do Direct Hit for gear that actually Crit built in?

Any crit gear actually wants +skill speed, once you have a certain amount you'll be able to go under 2.00 GCD at GL3.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Just remember to tank all three of them north. :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wait until there’s one minute left on the timer to open the chests or you might not get loot

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine the problem with Selene is that if you buff her at all it's probably going to get ridiculous. To be honest I suspect they'd just have gotten rid of her if not for cutscenes and stuff. It feels like Eos is the one they genuinely want to be part of the kit and Selene is a leftover legacy mechanic.

Wait, when is Selene ever in a cutscene? Does she show up after level 60 or something, because before then I thought it was all Eos all the time.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 2, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
She's in the very first cutscene, at least.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lily is the Scholar's fairy that comes with the soul stone. Eos and Selene are both aspects of her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eopia posted:

Wait, when is Selene ever in a cutscene? Does she show up after level 60 or something, because before then I thought I was all Eos all the time.

She shows up in the very first cutscene when the fairy is being introduced. You see both forms of the fairy.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Going through the scholar quests legit makes me feel :smith: whenever i go through Wanderer's Palace now. I mean it's a pretty poo poo dungeon,but i'm going through a poo poo dungeon killing ACTUAL PEOPLE.

Well, at least for the tonberries, don't know about the other stuff in there.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
*slaughters all other people that show up in dungeons with no regrets*

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait for the Nier style new game plus where you hear the voices of the things you kill and also their new/un? born children. That part was rad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tonberries were lalafells, not people.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Video evidence. They get half of their HP back along with Damage Up, and I'm pretty sure Twin uses triple-Generate like in the 5th trio attack. That's just their first mechanic too, I would be unsurprised if Nael's combo attacks and both of their tankswaps also return. There's a lot of potential for shenanigans here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Tonberries were lalafells, not people.

i'm looking forward to the patch where we learn miqote are just an upjumped beast tribe