Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Officers never use cell phones for official police communication. That's detective poo poo.
It's encrypted radio transmission back to dispatch and that's it.

That cop was just dicking around on his phone.

Definitely not true. The radio coms are recorded and subject to FOIA. Many departments radio systems are also not encrypted so anyone can listen. Also if you need to chat with a supervisor and it's going to take a minute, you don't want to tie up the channel with your bullshit.

Lots of official info gets shared over personal cell phones for lots of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Something something trucks something something cyclists something something New York.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

spog posted:

Something something trucks something something cyclists something something New York.

These are the motorists you share a bike path with.

How long before someone sues Home Depot?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

https://www.facebook.com/drivetribe/videos/535006030212873/

Unmarked(?) cop car is at a roundabout, motorcycle is behind the cop, there is a pretty short gap that the cop might have been able to use or maybe not, but the cop didn't take the gap because the cop was on his phone (or possibly because the gap was kinda small). Guy on motorcycle honks, revs, and gestures at the cop, who then stops the police car to go have a loooong conversation with the biker. The cop threatens to write a ticket for road rage due to honking, says he was on the phone with a judge or some other important call, insists that when the phone is subpoenaed the judge will also see video of the biker standing up on his bike and swerving around the street "to avoid pot holes". Facebook people are retarded as usual and it was posted on a biker group, I'm finding it kinda hard to really dislike what the cop did. I guess I think it was unprofessional for the cop to get out of his car, but at the same time I think the biker was a douche bag for honking and probably even more so if he was hot dogging on his bike right before the incident.

That whole exchange in the middle of the road was loving idiotic by both of them, I would have told the cop to go ahead and write me a ticket, let me go about my business, then we can argue about it in court instead of in the middle of the loving street.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Spent roughly six miles behind a subaru squatting the left lane, left blinker on, bumper sticker "Honk all you want, I'm deaf"

Jesus loving christ.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Javid posted:

Spent roughly six miles behind a subaru squatting the left lane, left blinker on, bumper sticker "Honk all you want, I'm deaf"

Jesus loving christ.

You do have this thing called high beams.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Broad daylight, and given that they don't fire explosive rounds, they wouldn't have given this person the specific nudge they needed.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yes, but it should be.

Maybe, but only on paper. The reality is that people in buildings often do not have access to car radio frequencies, as they are only in cars, communications centers or like a main watch desk at a substation. If an Sgt, Lt or Captain has a question he wants the answer to or something he needs info on, which does happen, they are almost always going to use a cell phone to reach a specific officer. The radio is used for dispatch related traffic only, really. At least that's been my experience. Hell, believe it or not some (larger) places still use a radio system that can be hot miked so traffic is kept minimal.

EDIT: Beaten like crazy

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That whole exchange in the middle of the road was loving idiotic by both of them, I would have told the cop to go ahead and write me a ticket, let me go about my business, then we can argue about it in court instead of in the middle of the loving street.

What did the motorbike rider do that was idiotic? Everyone who fucks around on their phone wile driving gets honked at. The cop could have just ignored him and drove away.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Javid posted:

Broad daylight, and given that they don't fire explosive rounds, they wouldn't have given this person the specific nudge they needed.

Get 20 of those eye melting LED bars.

Attach them vertically on your front bumper and create a rectangular wall of light so bright it will melt anything within 100 metres.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/highway-400-fatal-pileup-cookstown-1.4381540

14+ cars, at least 2 dead, and it's not even winter yet!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tarantula posted:

What did the motorbike rider do that was idiotic? Everyone who fucks around on their phone wile driving gets honked at. The cop could have just ignored him and drove away.

Argued with a cop in the middle of the road? He continued the argument multiple times when he could have just left, what is the cop going to do, give him a ticket? For what? Even if he did who cares, then you can have your dumbass argument in court instead of in the road holding up traffic.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Argued with a cop in the middle of the road? He continued the argument multiple times when he could have just left, what is the cop going to do, give him a ticket? For what? Even if he did who cares, then you can have your dumbass argument in court instead of in the road holding up traffic.

Where exactly was he supposed to go? At what point could he "just leave"? Next time an angry cop argues with you, just drive off and let me know how that works out for you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Am I under arrest? No? Ok can I leave then? Pretty simple. Or, if you're going to give me a ticket then do it so i can leave please thank you, preferably on the side of the road out of the way.

The moron chose to sit there and argue when he didn't have to.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

`Nemesis posted:

Definitely not true. The radio coms are recorded and subject to FOIA. Many departments radio systems are also not encrypted so anyone can listen. Also if you need to chat with a supervisor and it's going to take a minute, you don't want to tie up the channel with your bullshit.

Lots of official info gets shared over personal cell phones for lots of reasons.

I worked at two different law enforcement agencies as a dispatcher and it was common practice for officers to avoid using the primary radio frequencies. Each car had CB which was unrecorded, and of course cellphones. At the first place there was also one line in dispatch that they thought was unrecorded so they would either dial in on that number or ask to be transferred to it before talking poo poo about their coworkers.

It was recorded. :frogsiren:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I worked at two different law enforcement agencies as a dispatcher and it was common practice for officers to avoid using the primary radio frequencies. Each car had CB which was unrecorded, and of course cellphones. At the first place there was also one line in dispatch that they thought was unrecorded so they would either dial in on that number or ask to be transferred to it before talking poo poo about their coworkers.

It was recorded. :frogsiren:

Again, ACAB...

http://woodtv.com/2017/09/13/grpd-phone-line-recordings-of-ex-prosecutors-crash-released/

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xergm posted:

Where exactly was he supposed to go? At what point could he "just leave"? Next time an angry cop argues with you, just drive off and let me know how that works out for you.

Can confirm leaving before being told to do so by the officer is a bad idea.

Had two cops threaten to shoot me on sight if they ever saw me in the neighborhood again when they nearly caused an accident by pulling out of a parking lot right in front of me.

Exchanged some words at the scene, they didn't tell me to stop so I went about my business, they pulled a u-turn and pulled me over about three blocks later and screamed at me for 20 minutes ending in the shoot on sight threat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geoj posted:

Can confirm leaving before being told to do so by the officer is a bad idea.

Had two cops threaten to shoot me on sight if they ever saw me in the neighborhood again when they nearly caused an accident by pulling out of a parking lot right in front of me.

Exchanged some words at the scene, they didn't tell me to stop so I went about my business, they pulled a u-turn and pulled me over about three blocks later and screamed at me for 20 minutes ending in the shoot on sight threat.

did you get those dipshit assholes fired?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Tried, learned if you have a run-in with the police don't complain to the police about it.

Went through the proper channels, sent a typed complaint form via registered mail and a printed copy to all of city council & the mayor's office. Department sat on the complaint for over four months, then sent a sergeant (who claimed to be the only person who handled complaints, in the fifth largest police department in my state) to speak with me. According to him he was on "medical leave" when my complaint was received, and by the time he got to it the dashcam footage of the stop had already been rolled over - giving them no choice but to close the investigation in favor of the officers due to lack of evidence.

If something like that ever happens again I'm recording it myself and immediately going to the media and/or an attorney because I have no reason to believe they'll treat future complaints any differently.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geoj posted:

If something like that ever happens again I'm recording it myself and immediately going to the media and/or an attorney because I have no reason to believe they'll treat future complaints any differently.

yeah i would have started with this part of it but you seem to be a nice person.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I generally respect the police for the poo poo they have to put up with but they close ranks real fast when you push back on them. If you want them to ever admit fault you better have your own proof stashed somewhere.

Dash cams for everyone!

Should be a standard feature of vehicles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah i would have started with this part of it but you seem to be a nice person.

This was 2011, before the Supreme Court ruled recording the police is protected under the first amendment. If I had tried to record them I doubt things would have gone any better.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geoj posted:

This was 2011, before the Supreme Court ruled recording the police is protected under the first amendment. If I had tried to record them I doubt things would have gone any better.

Yeah. :smithfrog:

Half the reason for my dashcam nowadays, We had an off duty cop road rage and pull his gun on me and my friend while we were in the car because apparently we were "following too closely"

got a dashcam the next drat day.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

The cop told him multiple times he could have written tickets for road rage and wreckless driving- swerving "to avoid potholes" and standing up on his bike.

I think the motorcycle rider was probably showing off and probably driving a little unsafe. Furthermore, the biker didn't just honk once, he honked, reved his bike, and screamed ",GRT off your loving phone" all over a gap that was barely adequate, he hadn't been waiting long story all, he honked before the gap, and the cop was already starting to go when he yelled.

My only point is I think the biker probably has a lot of road rage and he was acting like a dick before the cop got out. . . And then he continued to be a social justice warrior and argue with the cop. If you ask me, any time you argue with a cop, figure of authority, or even just a thug with a weapon you loose. I don't believe in criticizing the police without also criticizing the public. Is the biker a hero now and the correct way to react to law enforcement? If someone (cop or thug) has a gun pointed at you, do what they say and argue later, or die a martyr for your cause.

Yes, the cop was a dick bag. . . But if the biker was driving poorly prior to the stop or if it had been a marked police car then it would be a completely different story. I am not going to praise the biker in this story, I think he was a douchebag and should be called out for it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Geoj posted:

The Supreme Court didn't rule this. Every Federal circuit to hear the issue has ruled that way, it's never gone to the Supreme Court.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Crotch Fruit posted:

The cop told him multiple times he could have written tickets for road rage and wreckless driving- swerving "to avoid potholes" and standing up on his bike.

I think the motorcycle rider was probably showing off and probably driving a little unsafe. Furthermore, the biker didn't just honk once, he honked, reved his bike, and screamed ",GRT off your loving phone" all over a gap that was barely adequate, he hadn't been waiting long story all, he honked before the gap, and the cop was already starting to go when he yelled.

My only point is I think the biker probably has a lot of road rage and he was acting like a dick before the cop got out. . . And then he continued to be a social justice warrior and argue with the cop. If you ask me, any time you argue with a cop, figure of authority, or even just a thug with a weapon you loose. I don't believe in criticizing the police without also criticizing the public. Is the biker a hero now and the correct way to react to law enforcement? If someone (cop or thug) has a gun pointed at you, do what they say and argue later, or die a martyr for your cause.

Yes, the cop was a dick bag. . . But if the biker was driving poorly prior to the stop or if it had been a marked police car then it would be a completely different story. I am not going to praise the biker in this story, I think he was a douchebag and should be called out for it.

You had me up until the 3rd paragraph. Then i eyerolled so hard i saw my brain. I will need your mailing address for my medical bills.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The only way "get off your loving phone *HONK*" is unjustified is if the recipient is not, in fact, on their loving phone.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw an old guy taking the lane on his mobility scooter. Not in a neighborhood either, a real road with a speed limit of 45.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw an old guy taking the lane on his mobility scooter. Not in a neighborhood either, a real road with a speed limit of 45.

This guy's a regular around here:

He also parks it in the exact middle of a handicapped space and walks into the store.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

This guy's a regular around here:

He also parks it in the exact middle of a handicapped space and walks into the store.

Sorry but this guy owns

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
From years ago in Bedford, Indiana.

God's country.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Probably a dumb question, but has anyone witnessed someone backing down an on-ramp to an interstate when they are over halfway on it because they realized it was the wrong exit?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yes, multiple times, on North America's busiest freeway.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably a dumb question, but has anyone witnessed someone backing down an on-ramp to an interstate when they are over halfway on it because they realized it was the wrong exit?

Yes. It barely registers anymore. My favorite today was this one:

That's a 3 lane highway going north and a two-lane split for a different highway. They got partway up the split, turned around and cut back across to go on the northbound highway. I was aiming for the left lane of the split at the time so they crossed my bow. Lovely.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I-71/271?

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Dagen H posted:

I-71/271?

It was you, wasn't it?

Not really. This was I-41 / I-94. I left Ohio 20 years ago.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Gorilla Salad posted:

Get 20 of those eye melting LED bars.

Attach them vertically on your front bumper and create a rectangular wall of light so bright it will melt anything within 100 metres.

Speaking of which, some assclown in a Ford Ranger was doing this last night - he had his headlights off but his wall of LED bars on. I think my retinas were seared.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know of people who will tie them to their high-beams, which I guess if you don't want a separate switch sure, you can do that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

iospace posted:

I know of people who will tie them to their high-beams, which I guess if you don't want a separate switch sure, you can do that.

hopefully the people in town dont do that, because in that case it would graduate up to a "wacky fun clown mask murder time" offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Had a guy behind me on the highway last night with his high beams on. I didn't want to drop back behind him to flash him to let him know so I just gave him the finger through my rear window for about 5 minutes straight. He dropped back like 6 car lengths, I guess he thought I was a crazy person, but he didn't turn his high beams off. I don't think he even knew they were on.