Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This tab doesn't even show up for me. Maybe I have to allow one, just so that it shows up, and I can then block all the rest? :psyduck:

Also, I bought iTunes Match, and then got Apple to refund it. Yesterday I listened to an album on my phone. Only the first track updated the play count/last played, so it's useless to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Weird, I don't have this tab either.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's under Websites for me on latest shipped macOS/Safari.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

If people actually want them then go hog wild, my issue is with having it on by default and having to get the annoying prompts.

Also think of the old people clicking it ugh...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Serious question: why does anyone care about play count?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

I used to listen to my music library on shuffle, and then when I wanted only music I actually liked, I would put on a 'top played' smart playlist. Like, which tracks did I actually listen to instead of skipping over?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I have playlists that are based off of play counts. For example, I'm trying to catch up on Beastie Boys. I won't add another album from them until I listened to all the tracks from the previous album 10 times. Otherwise all the albums will blur together, or I'm going to get real sick of one band real fast if I add too much at once.

Also if I hit 50 listens of a song, then I have to buy the album if I haven't already.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

This setting is pretty useless because if you turn it on the site just makes a fake popup anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Father in law's iMac is on 10.6.8, hes claiming he can't update to 10.11.1 and needs 10.11.0 first but can't find it?

I usually update day 1 on MacOS so I kind of forgot what 10.6.8 update process is like, can anyone help me out here? I'm assuming there's no direct path to High Sierra if his machine supports it.

I'm not physically at the machine so I have no way of getting more info other than email exchanges.

Nevermind, i think i figured this out.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 31, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Uhhh, there's an App Store in 10.6.8, other than that I doubt you need anything else?

Just in case someone else needs it, here's a link to El Capitan (10.11) in the App Store as Apple has removed it from searches:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

And one for plain old Sierra (10.12 in case you don't like getting high):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 31, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also 10.13.1 is out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Got a combo update link, pal?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Got a combo update link, pal?
I don't see it on Apple's support downloads yet, but it should be here eventually: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

In theory there's no such thing as a combo update for 10.x.1, right? Just a delta? I can't recall what they name 10.x.1 standalone update packages.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Chris Knight posted:

Every year or two, I reset plays to 0 for everything, and create a playlist of only things with a 0 play count. Then I listen to it, but eventually the playlist dwindles to things I've skipped over and over and eventually crap I don't dig any more just gets deleted.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

For anyone who wants to know what's been 'fixed' in 10.3.1:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht208177

Apple posted:

This update:

Adds support for 70 new emoji, including food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more.

Fixes a bug where Bluetooth appeared as unavailable during Apple Pay transactions.

Improves the reliability of Microsoft Exchange message sync in Mail.

Fixes an issue where Spotlight does not accept keyboard input.

Enterprise content:

Improves the reliability of SMB printing.

Makes Touch ID preferences accessible while logged in as a mobile account on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

Adds support for unlocking a FileVault-encrypted APFS volume using a recovery keychain file. For details, enter man diskutil in Terminal.

Mentioned in another security update, the KRACK / WPA exploit has been fixed. Surprising that they gave a poo poo about El Capitan systems; no KRACK love for anything other than El Capitan/Sierra/High Sierra though.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, there's also Safari 11.0.1, iTunes 12.7.1 and security updates for Sierra and El Capitan, surprisingly.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Every year or two, I reset plays to 0 for everything, and create a playlist of only things with a 0 play count. Then I listen to it, but eventually the playlist dwindles to things I've skipped over and over and eventually crap I don't dig any more just gets deleted.

You could just make a smart playlist that says "Last Played" is "after" [DATE]. I usually do that after the new years to see how long it takes me to listen to all my music at least once.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In theory there's no such thing as a combo update for 10.x.1, right? Just a delta? I can't recall what they name 10.x.1 standalone update packages.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hey, I found the NOTIFICATIONS thing. It's under the WEBSITES tab and then select the NOTIFICATIONS option in the left hand column. Checkbox will then appear at the bottom of the window.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What the heck are you doing, Time Machine?

I cancelled it and the next backup it started was 350MB. What the heck was it backing up before? :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 1, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Backing up...the backups 😈

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What the heck are you doing, Time Machine?

Machining time. Welcome to the club. :toot:

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I’m on 10.12.6 and backing up via Time Machine. If I upgrade to 10.13.1 and have issues, can I use my Time Machine backup to go back to 10.12.6, or is that only possible with something like Carbon Copy Cloner?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

This is cool: https://github.com/dmarcotte/easy-move-resize

It lets you (with an accompanying customizable key combo) click anywhere in a window and drag to move. You can also resize windows openbox/fvwm/xfce style where you hold a key combo and drag the general corner or middle of an edge. This is a feature I've missed constantly when swapping between macOS and Linux/BSD. Hunting for window edges is tedious.

It's also great combined with Magnet: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magnet/id441258766

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

terre packet posted:

I’m on 10.12.6 and backing up via Time Machine. If I upgrade to 10.13.1 and have issues, can I use my Time Machine backup to go back to 10.12.6

Yes, you just start up in recovery mode and choose to restore from time machine and it will give you a list of points to restore to, and they handily show the version of macOS installed in each item in the list so you can find the latest 10.12.6 restore point.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Does anyone use any hardware/software they'd recommend for sharing a mouse/keyboard between a mac and a pc?

I'm using a late 2013 imac with El Capitan and a Windows 10 custom build pc, if that matters.

I saw Logitech have something called flow in their products. Preferably, I'd rather not buy a new keyboard.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

the_lion posted:

Does anyone use any hardware/software they'd recommend for sharing a mouse/keyboard between a mac and a pc?

I'm using a late 2013 imac with El Capitan and a Windows 10 custom build pc, if that matters.

I saw Logitech have something called flow in their products. Preferably, I'd rather not buy a new keyboard.

Synergy.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

the_lion posted:

If you want to do wireless I don’t know.

If you just want to use the peripherals on two different computers without having to unplug stuff get a KVM Switch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

An Enormous Boner posted:

This is cool: https://github.com/dmarcotte/easy-move-resize

It lets you (with an accompanying customizable key combo) click anywhere in a window and drag to move. You can also resize windows openbox/fvwm/xfce style where you hold a key combo and drag the general corner or middle of an edge. This is a feature I've missed constantly when swapping between macOS and Linux/BSD. Hunting for window edges is tedious.

It's also great combined with Magnet: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magnet/id441258766

I like spectacle over magnet. https://www.spectacleapp.com

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is it just me, or can the new audio controls get permanently hijacked by a website? If I'm playing music on iTunes and then the Facebook Messenger "new message" sound plays in Safari, then the play/pause button seems to get bound to that sound. Restarting iTunes seems to be the only way to get it back to normal.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone use their router /w USB attached drive as a time capsule backup as of late? How is the reliability?

I tried like 5 years ago through synology and I had a lot of corruption happening to the backup files. Just wondering if anythings changed back them. The router/firmware in question is ASUS RT-3200 running Merlin firmware.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Are there any downsides I need to consider if I just get the icloud 2TB plan and let OSX manage and sync all my files? Should I still keep separate backups? My work is eating up all my time and energy so whatever time and mental energy I can save by not computer-janitoring around in my free time would be worth the :tenbux:.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tankadillo posted:

Is it just me, or can the new audio controls get permanently hijacked by a website? If I'm playing music on iTunes and then the Facebook Messenger "new message" sound plays in Safari, then the play/pause button seems to get bound to that sound. Restarting iTunes seems to be the only way to get it back to normal.

The audio controls work for the application in the foreground now.

No, there isn't any reasonable explanation for it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

the panacea posted:

Are there any downsides I need to consider if I just get the icloud 2TB plan and let OSX manage and sync all my files? Should I still keep separate backups? My work is eating up all my time and energy so whatever time and mental energy I can save by not computer-janitoring around in my free time would be worth the :tenbux:.

I do this, but just make sure all your "important" files are saved in an iCloud folder, like desktop or documents. I also created a "backup" folder inside the iCloud root directory I manually move files to as needed, like old Final Cut raws.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the panacea posted:

iCloud Drive is not a backup service. If you accidentally delete a file from iCloud Drive and don't have another backup, the file will be in a "recently deleted" folder for 30 days and then it's gone.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

The audio controls work for the application in the foreground now.

No, there isn't any reasonable explanation for it.

Yeah I understand that's how it's supposed to work, but that hasn't been my experience.

The other day, I was trying to pause my music, but every time I hit the play/pause button, my computer made the Facebook "new message" noise. Safari wasn't in the foreground. Bringing iTunes to the foreground, and even pausing/playing the music inside iTunes, didn't rebind the controls to iTunes. Hitting the keyboard play button just kept making the new message sound.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is Youtube hosed for anyone else on Safari or is it just me?

On channel pages clicking on things frequently doesn't work – a refresh fixes it but it's pretty annoying to have to do that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Entropy238 posted:

Is Youtube hosed for anyone else on Safari or is it just me?

On channel pages clicking on things frequently doesn't work – a refresh fixes it but it's pretty annoying to have to do that.
I believe this was the solution when it came up a couple of months ago:

Pivo posted:

If you load YouTube on desktop you can click your profile avatar thing in the top right and 'Revert to old YouTube' or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tankadillo posted:

Yeah I understand that's how it's supposed to work, but that hasn't been my experience.

The other day, I was trying to pause my music, but every time I hit the play/pause button, my computer made the Facebook "new message" noise. Safari wasn't in the foreground. Bringing iTunes to the foreground, and even pausing/playing the music inside iTunes, didn't rebind the controls to iTunes. Hitting the keyboard play button just kept making the new message sound.

Oh, lol, I misread you then. Nice to know that not only did they change the behavior's intended logic for less utility, but that they hosed up doing it too.