Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

idk i think the ascension of the jackdaw was the better ac bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's almost as if churning out a massive "AAA" title every year involves making sacrifices that brutally compromise the primary purpose of a video game: fun.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

game glitches can be so good

procedural magical-realist found art

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

it was

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah you’re right I forgot about that

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

duTrieux. posted:

you mean like that time someone copied the new version of dwarf fortress over their old folder and when they generated a world the playable race could inexplicably shoot fireballs, which sounded great until one of them fireballed a cockroach and set everything on fire and killed everybody? (before magic was even implemented in the game)

procedural magical is the best art

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

it's almost as if churning out a massive "AAA" title every year involves making sacrifices that brutally compromise the primary purpose of a video game: fun.

ubi took a year break from asscreed before the new one and whaddya know, it doesn't suck butt

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

you mean like that time someone copied the new version of dwarf fortress over their old folder and when they generated a world the playable race could inexplicably shoot fireballs, which sounded great until one of them fireballed a cockroach and set everything on fire and killed everybody? (before magic was even implemented in the game)

procedural magical is the best art

Or the time somebody discovered that cats were dying of alcohol poisoning. Or the fact that all adventurers have another personality that can't do anything but cry. Or any of the bugs from this page. Or possibly the fact that Toady's will specifies that DF will be made open-source in the event of his death, provided he dies by natural causes.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

Or the time somebody discovered that cats were dying of alcohol poisoning. Or the fact that all adventurers have another personality that can't do anything but cry. Or any of the bugs from this page. Or possibly the fact that Toady's will specifies that DF will be made open-source in the event of his death, provided he dies by natural causes.

these bugs read like they're markov-generated and tbh that's probably fairly close

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

darthbob88 posted:

i'm caught horribly between wanting to see that source and the fact that it would mean a man's death let alone a mad genius like toady

(e)
  • Added mouths
  • Added an aperture flag that stops mouths from being gouged out
im dead

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 1, 2017

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
his ama on reddit some year ago said he developed dwarf fortress without using version control all the way to at least during his ama in 2013.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...t&utm_name=IAmA

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

the real reason the skate games had such longevity is finding the funniest glitches was at least as entertaining as the main gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfl33Tn0pYc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a nightmare once about being in a game and my character model glitching out like crazy.

The car boys episodes on the blob were pretty scary to me I tell you what

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:catstare: No version control. How does he even do bug tracking?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
both angles on this take are real funny

https://twitter.com/tqbf/status/907611068335362048

on one hand, sure there are lots of competent people in infosec with unrelated degrees

on the other, the equifax thing did happen

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: No version control. How does he even do bug tracking?

there's only him working on the project (at least in the code) and the man is pretty much a robot so i'm sure he makes it work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i'm caught horribly between wanting to see that source and the fact that it would mean a man's death let alone a mad genius like toady

(e)
  • Added mouths
  • Added an aperture flag that stops mouths from being gouged out
im dead

my friend pointed out once that the entire DF change / fix list is basically some kind of magical realism poem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

the primary purpose of a video game

no i think it still made lots of money so it's fine

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

abigserve posted:

It boggles my mind that anyone still buys assassin creed games

the first one? Amazing. Unlike anything else released at the time.
The second one? Better than the first in every way though the annoyances are starting to show (yes, please, playing as the extremely lame people in modern days was fun, lets keep doing this)
The third? Ok the formula has officially gotten old now I'm not going to buy any more of these game

what are they up to now, like, 7 games?

Black Flag is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMYQ4rhwJto

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
probably not the right thread, but still seems like a gently caress up

paid off my student loan and the provider has a cute gif with congratulations and confetti, etc; however, there is a button to tweet about #paidinfull

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Black Flag is the best Sid Meyer's Pirates game ever created.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Phone posted:

probably not the right thread, but still seems like a gently caress up

paid off my student loan and the provider has a cute gif with congratulations and confetti, etc; however, there is a button to tweet about #paidinfull

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

haha, that is a sort of cute piece of advertising though

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
have a paper on signed malware
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~tdumitra/papers/CCS-2017.pdf

and the data
http://signedmalware.org/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lmao

quote:

• Inadequate client-side protections. We find that simply copying an Authenticode signature from a legitimate file to a known malware sample may cause anti-virus products to stop detecting it—even though the signature is invalid, as it does not match the file digest. 34 anti-virus products are affected, and this type of abuse accounts for 31.1% of malware signatures in the wild. We notified the anti-virus companies of the issue. Two companies confirmed that their products fail to check signature properly; one of them plans to fix the issue.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i assume the other one said it was a feature not a bug since we can say ours has TURBO-FAST BLAST PROCESSING since it doesn't need to check signatures

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

both angles on this take are real funny

https://twitter.com/tqbf/status/907611068335362048

on one hand, sure there are lots of competent people in infosec with unrelated degrees

on the other, the equifax thing did happen

while i get the sentiment, this is the most bullshit thing ever. a lot of education doesn’t prep for a job like cso, it’s most down to experience

and then still, a company like Equifax is clearly not aimed at protecting PII, they cared about revenue above everything else, and they’re far from alone. the cso job is arguably the hardest for any c level, since most of the c-suite STILL don’t see the point

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ate all the Oreos posted:

i assume the other one said it was a feature not a bug since we can say ours has TURBO-FAST BLAST PROCESSING since it doesn't need to check signatures

the other 31 you mean?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

necrotic posted:

the other 31 you mean?

the other single one that actually responded but said they weren't going to fix it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

geonetix posted:

while i get the sentiment, this is the most bullshit thing ever. a lot of education doesn’t prep for a job like cso, it’s most down to experience

and then still, a company like Equifax is clearly not aimed at protecting PII, they cared about revenue above everything else, and they’re far from alone. the cso job is arguably the hardest for any c level, since most of the c-suite STILL don’t see the point
the cso of equifax was just some rich white woman who got the job because they're rich and white. they were hired to be a rich white executive and not a security officer. equifax, the company, doesn't see the importance of security so they just put any old rich white person in that position. i can guarantee they would not do the same thing for different executives; i.e. they would absolutely never hire a cfo who only has an mfa in music.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

anthonypants posted:

the cso of equifax was just some rich white woman who got the job because they're rich and white. they were hired to be a rich white executive and not a security officer. equifax, the company, doesn't see the importance of security so they just put any old rich white person in that position. i can guarantee they would not do the same thing for different executives; i.e. they would absolutely never hire a cfo who only has an mfa in music.

oh sure but still going “lol she only had a music degree” is not the offensive part. she was horribly unequipped for the role, but that’s not because of her education

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

geonetix posted:

oh sure but still going “lol she only had a music degree” is not the offensive part. she was horribly unequipped for the role, but that’s not because of her education

it's not that her degree was in music, it's that that degree was the only qualification for the role she had.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/925462678516019200

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

:eyepop: but the long one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

thanks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
ionic is about to drop something real meaty

https://twitter.com/i0n1c/status/925749843930251264

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

something on the baseband maybe

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ffs its 2017 just throw your app behind nginx and take 2 minutes to add the three lines needed for tls :argh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ate all the Oreos posted:

yes, protection from you, filthy poor person and your filthy torrenting trying to get away with not paying sixty shiny dollars to ubisoft

the irony being that filthy thieves don't have to deal with drm bullshit because they just crack it anyway

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ffs its 2017 just throw your app behind nginx and take 2 minutes to add the three lines needed for tls :argh:

"what's engine X?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

As secfuck year 2017 approaches a close, jumping up and down from the back of the room waving its arms, Oracle screams "Don't forget about me!" like a kick to dick.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/security-advisory/alert-cve-2017-10151-4016513.html

quote:

This Security Alert addresses CVE-2017-10151, a vulnerability affecting Oracle Identity Manager.This vulnerability has a CVSS v3 base score of 10.0, and can result in complete compromise of Oracle Identity Manager via an unauthenticated network attack.

• Locked thread