Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

Quick question: I'm trying to set up a brand new PC and want to get Win10 on it with as little effort as possible. I mounted the brand-new hard drive into a working computer, but I don't seem to be able to do a fresh Win10 install on it without either a USB (none at my disposal) or burning an iso (no optical drives at my disposal). I'm using the windows installer from Microsoft, and I'm low on ideas.

Littlest effort? Buy a $5 USB drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Evilreaver posted:

To be clear, I have a working Win7 computer with a new empty drive, and I want to install Win10 on the empty drive without affecting the Win7 install.

So you're attempting to do this from within 7, right? Did you partition the empty drive and give it a driveletter? That doesn't matter when booting from usb or dvd, but it might from inside a running installation? :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

astral posted:

Littlest effort? Buy a $5 USB drive.

Do not do this. Buy a USB 3.0 drive if you have a USB 3.0 port, because the time savings is *vast*.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do not do this. Buy a USB 3.0 drive if you have a USB 3.0 port, because the time savings is *vast*.

Let me amend my post to say "smallest effort for smallest cost". ;)

I do agree though, a USB 3.0 flash drive would be better. Worth the extra couple of bucks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ProjektorBoy posted:

The creation of a condition where a machine can essentially consume 2 licenses at once is the most obtusely Microsoft thing I can imagine.

2? It's easy to consume thousands on a single physical machine.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You can go grab an 8 GB USB 3.0 flash drive that does a fine ~180 megabyte a second read at like a Micro Center for $6. Probably get cheaper ones on Amazon with free shipping, but I can speak for Micro Center's dirt cheap 8 and 16 GB usb 3.0 drives they keep by the registers.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So you're attempting to do this from within 7, right? Did you partition the empty drive and give it a driveletter? That doesn't matter when booting from usb or dvd, but it might from inside a running installation? :shrug:

Yes I did, my options are "make usb/iso" and "upgrade this install"; I was really hoping for an installation exe or something that would allow me to just do it in one step, but it looks like "clone and upgrade" is the way we're going for now

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Evilreaver posted:

Yes I did, my options are "make usb/iso" and "upgrade this install"; I was really hoping for an installation exe or something that would allow me to just do it in one step, but it looks like "clone and upgrade" is the way we're going for now

Wow, how lame. I definitely remember you can choose a drive and partition for a new install in 7. How tf are you supposed to dual-boot 7 and 10 then?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
That selection is there if you boot from a dvd/usb.

You _could_ download the ISO, extract the files, boot into recovery mode, and use the command prompt to run the w10 setup.exe. It'll use your existing efi partition on the other drive for boot data though, so it doesn't work too well if you plan on removing the drive and putting it in another computer. I'm sure diskpart and bcdedit would be able to fix that, but really just do the clone or buy a usb drive.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The Saga Continues

I've cloned the drive and upgraded one of the installs. At no point did it ask me for the new CD key so I'm assuming it's still using the one from Win7 (which was briefly upgraded to 10 before I became Mad and reverted to 7), which I again assume means that when I get my 7 drive into service, windows (from online) will see two copies of the same cdkey and brick something. Is there a way around this?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Change Product Key and use your new key.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How do I get this to never pop up in the middle of my screen while I'm doing something again? I had it fixed until the creator edition came out and now I can't figure out how to make it stop.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

How do I get this to never pop up in the middle of my screen while I'm doing something again? I had it fixed until the creator edition came out and now I can't figure out how to make it stop.

Uninstall Something Awful from your life and block it in your Hosts file?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
What is a good X server for Windows? I am using the last open source version of Xming, but have run into a couple of bugs. I tried VcXsrv but after quick testing it works worse than the old-rear end Xming.

The new Xming looks reasonable, but its "donate to get 1-year subscription" payment model seems sketchy as hell.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Xarn posted:

What is a good X server for Windows? I am using the last open source version of Xming, but have run into a couple of bugs. I tried VcXsrv but after quick testing it works worse than the old-rear end Xming.

The new Xming looks reasonable, but its "donate to get 1-year subscription" payment model seems sketchy as hell.
Interested in this too. I've used open source Xming for years but Wireshark-Qt does not seem to get along with it. Wireshark-GTK works, but that's a development dead end so I'd rather not depend on it anymore.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
We have been having this argument over in the Linux thread. Some people still swear by XMing. I have used for more than 10 years cygwinX and I never had a problem. Trivial to install (click next, select whatever packages, like xinit, ssh, xterm) and just run with it.

The new Linux-on-Windows sytem though, some people say they have had success with it(installing an X Server there). I've never done it but it's worth trying at least if for some reason you hate cygwin.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Xarn posted:

What is a good X server for Windows?

I'm just starting to use WSL for real so I can't really recommend anything, but have you tried the Xserver inside MobaXterm?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Volguus posted:

The new Linux-on-Windows sytem though, some people say they have had success with it(installing an X Server there). I've never done it but it's worth trying at least if for some reason you hate cygwin.

The whole reason why I want Win32 Xserver is to get graphical output out of WSL :v:

Grim Up North posted:

I'm just starting to use WSL for real so I can't really recommend anything, but have you tried the Xserver inside MobaXterm?

Nope, gonna try it out.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Instead of running an X server on the host, you can install an X-VNC server on the application host, and get a desktop via VNC that way. I've done that with WSL and headless Linux servers before.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I have had no success getting software rendering working with X, but unaccelerated apps work fine with Cygwin’s X server.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So it seems that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has at some point disabled toggling the screen orientation rotation lock while my tablet is in Landscape mode. That means if I want to prevent Windows from loving up my window positions when I pack up and move around, I have to first rotate into Portrait mode, toggle the rotation lock while in Portrait, then use the Settings panel to change back to Landscape. Of course, this process still fucks my window positions. I also cannot disable rotation lock while in Landscape now, so I have to repeat the whole thing in reverse later when I want to auto-rotate again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

isndl posted:

So it seems that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has at some point disabled toggling the screen orientation rotation lock while my tablet is in Landscape mode. That means if I want to prevent Windows from loving up my window positions when I pack up and move around, I have to first rotate into Portrait mode, toggle the rotation lock while in Portrait, then use the Settings panel to change back to Landscape. Of course, this process still fucks my window positions. I also cannot disable rotation lock while in Landscape now, so I have to repeat the whole thing in reverse later when I want to auto-rotate again.
It's not intentional, it's just bugged.

I don't remember exactly what fixed it for me on the surface pro 4 some months ago, but it involved a sequence of connecting and disconnecting the keyboard and manipulating rotation and rotation lock settings and rebooting in between. The most annoying thing was that I had to find a keyboard cover to borrow as connecting/disconnecting it was key to the fix, but I don't own one.

I also bookmarked these two pages at the time as relevant, but I'm not sure what the critical information on them is now. (edit: I hope it's obvious that when the first page recommends their particular generic "fix pc problems" tool, that that's a shitware ad, not a valid troubleshooting step)

In any case, it's not supposed to work like that.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 30, 2017

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've got this bookmarked for when an update kicks rotation back on my HPX360. Never fails.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Uninstall Something Awful from your life and block it in your Hosts file?

Is there an app that allows you to restrict internet access to only whitelisted apps? Like, can I make it so only Chrome and certain videogames can get on the internet, but Explorer can't?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I think they call that a Firewall.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

I think they call that a Firewall.

No no I mean an OS level thing that can block Windows itself and non-whitelisted apps from sending any packets out. I feel like that would solve a lot of problems.

Edit: For instance, obscuring my ethernet connecion with a virtual NIC, that only reveals itself to whitelisted apps. All other apps and Windows would just think the cable is unplugged.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 30, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
AFAIK that's literally what the Windows Firewall does. Try removing offending apps from the whitelist. If that doesn't work try blacklisting them. If that doesn't work that's a pretty bad implementation of a firewall Microsoft.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

No no I mean an OS level thing that can block Windows itself and non-whitelisted apps from sending any packets out. I feel like that would solve a lot of problems.

Edit: For instance, obscuring my ethernet connecion with a virtual NIC, that only reveals itself to whitelisted apps. All other apps and Windows would just think the cable is unplugged.

Yes, a software firewall on the machine. E.g. you can set up per-program rules including total block of incoming/outgoing in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, which is included at least in Pro edition.
It should be listed in the Windows Administrative Tools folder in the Start menu.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
You should really check out Windows Firewall Control by https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

It's a front end for Windows own built in Firewall which makes it a helluva lot easier to use, you'll need to donate :10bux: for a lifetime key though, because without that you miss out on a very important feature (and the only feature locked behind a donation), which is that it will display a notification when something is blocked, and ask you what to do, block/allow/etc. Without this you have to guess why something isn't having access to internet and you'll have to manually create allow rules first. Seriously though, it's worth :10bux: ,it's also only :10bux: c'mon.

If you do give it a try, you'll want to open up the rule panel and delete EVERYTHING (so much useless poo poo in there (but don't worry you can always restore the default rules which is built into Windows)), then you'll want to right click > policies > restore recommended rules, which will create you the bare minimum set of rules needed for Windows to work (because you won't have internet access until you do.)

After that when you run things it'll ask you to block or allow and go from there, you'll have a nice little whitelist/blacklist of poo poo in a day.

Okay I'm done. /shilling

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

Yes, a software firewall on the machine. E.g. you can set up per-program rules including total block of incoming/outgoing in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, which is included at least in Pro edition.
It should be listed in the Windows Administrative Tools folder in the Start menu.

Interesting, I can apply a block of all traffic to all programs and services in Windows Firewall, but I don't see anywhere in the custom rule creation to add exceptions. Can I add "Allow" rules that would be prioritized over the global block?

Im_Special posted:

You should really check out Windows Firewall Control by https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl, we have some embedded machines like digital signage that need to run 24/7 and receive content updates from email, but Windows 10 Updates breaks the Quadro drivers pretty often.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 30, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Zero VGS posted:

Interesting, I can apply a block of all traffic to all programs and services in Windows Firewall, but I don't see anywhere in the custom rule creation to add exceptions. Can I add "Allow" rules that would be prioritized over the global block?

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl, we have some embedded machines like digital signage that need to run 24/7 and receive content updates from email, but Windows 10 Updates breaks the Quadro drivers pretty often.

Checking out the demo (ie. don't donate) is worth it too, just so you don't have to deal with Windows Advance Firewall, you just won't get notifications which for me is a huge QoL feature and why I use it.

EDIT: ^^ Yeah if all you want to do is keep Windows from finding updates, I'd imagine all you gotta do is first, delete EVERYTHING > recommended rules > and then remove this one rule or change it to block. And make sure it's set to Medium Filtering, whereas Windows Advanced Firewall at defaults has it set at Low Filtering, you know for grandma's.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 30, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno when exactly it got fixed but I can output sound from my Windows 10 PC via bluetooth APX to my reciever. I think I tried it about 6-8 months ago and got jack poo poo.. could have been the broadcom POS bluetooth adapter I suppose.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
In the past I've used Windows Firewall Notifier which sounds to perform the same basic functions as Windows Firewall Control but without the :10bux: paywall on the core feature. Never used the latter so no comment on comparative quality, WFN worked fine for the most part though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

OK so I will get mobo & cooler today. Changing hardware is no problem but Windows.. I thought about:

-> clone old ssd to new ssd, but I must be able to exclude certain folders like /games during the cloning process
-> upgrade 8.1 to 10. I have also a bootable usb win10 install media
-> upgrade mbr to gpt/uefi thingy with MBR2GPT (comes with creators update)

Any good tools to clone SSD's including mbr etc. but exclude some files like hiber, pagefile and some folders...? Acronis trueimage maybe? Or some open source software?

Should I upgrade windows online or offline straight after cloning? Will win8.1 even boot with Z370 and 8700K?

Do I need to gently caress with the partitions while cloningto leave room for recovery partition or whatever the UEFI/GPT requires?

Should I make a Windows PE usb key in case I run into some random problems? Or can driver issues etc. be solved with the bootable windows upgrade media?

Thanks in advance :tipshat:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
By definition, clone means clone so yes, things like the pagefile will be omitted, but you likely won't get to select individual folders that get included or excluded.

My favorite cloning software is Macrium Reflect Free. Install it, create the bootable flash drive and then do everything from there. It's easy and free.

If I were you, I'd do this:

Swap out your motherboard. Reactivate Windows 8.1, if needed. Do this all on your original SSD. Make a backup if you want (Macrium Reflect can do this).

Upgrade to Windows 10 using the upgrade tool. When you boot into 10, verify you're activated with a digital entitlement.

Now run the tool to switch to GPT.

Alternately, flatten and reinstall. IMO this is the best method to remove cruft, but YMMV as to whether you want to go through the trouble.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 31, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My new ssd is 500GB M.2, my old ssd 1TB SATA. So I really need to be selective what I copy. The actual programs and windows etc. take only 130GB, it's 600+GB of games and other stuff which I don't want to move over.

One solution is to get Acronis Trueimage and make a backup image which omits some folders. Then restore that backup to the new SSD offline, upgrade windows and so on..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Acronis solved everything. It created an image without extra junk, and restored it to the new ssd. Now I'm running win 10 enterprise and it was really painless. Apparently at some point the old MBR changed to uefi gpt thingy automatically. I realized it after trying to run mbr2gpt and it failed..

Upgrading from pro to enterprise took 15 seconds. I just switched the key from control panel and it activated automatically. Didn't need to download anything, didn't need to restart.. it's magical.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to like Macrium but Acronis does it better (when it works right). There are also cases like you need to shrink a partition or image a hard drive with bad sectors and Acronis does that stuff great.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Huh, maybe one of these days I'll take Acronis up on one of those free-after-rebate deals.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Acronis was $50 without any discounts, but so far it has saved me way more than $50 worth of time. No problems at all. I guess it's also better than crashplan for offline backups, since it does full images (or inceremental or whatever you want) which you can just restore back. Crashplan is more for those "oh poo poo my house burned" situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

Huh, maybe one of these days I'll take Acronis up on one of those free-after-rebate deals.

The 2016 and 2017 versions were not great. 2018 seems a bit better. My favorite version is 2014 actually but it will not work with NVMe drives.