Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SickZip posted:

Maybe its my background in paradox games, but I just kindof assume any large mods are made by nazis/monarchist/people-who-use-the-term-red-pill-unironically/serbs.

...Serbs? Is that just a Paradox forums nationalists joke or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fanatic posted:

I think in some cases Chaos don't invade until you have progressed through some campaign missions. I remember the same thing happening in my Norsca campaign, but they eventually did turn up after I stopped neglecting those missions (I was too busy conquering).

The trigger for the invasion is Imperium* Level and Imperium is based on conquest (it used to be just mainly conquest but i think they got rid of the other factors). The chapters require conquering so many provinces so they roughly match imperium progress. The script also has a time-out function where it will trigger at turn 150 for wave 1, and 200 for wave 2, no matter your progress

Once the script is triggered, chaos doesn't appear immediately. It just triggers the game to start rolling for chaos to show up.

*its called that in the script because that variable originated in rome 2 and its a measurement of empire strength. its also what triggers the Great Power malus and you can tell your imperium by the size of that diplomatic penalty. imperium 6 = -50 relations = hello chaos

SickZip fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 1, 2017

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Staltran posted:

...Serbs? Is that just a Paradox forums nationalists joke or...?

Yes. Theres a surprisingly large percentage of mods in paradox games made by Balkan nationalists of various kinds to where its become a running joke.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Am I alone in actually liking the new chaos invasion where you get like 20 stacks beelining for your empire? It makes it feel dangerous and it's also a lot of fun.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Helion posted:

I understand that this might not be a popular opinion but.... the new victory conditions seem kind of pointless? I mean, before you even get close to the short campaign options, I mean even vaguely close, you are leading like 5 invincible doomstacks. What’s the point? There is definitely a part of the early to mid game where this game is extremely engaging and challenging, but the victory conditions are just stupid. In fact. It makes me question the whole point of the interconnected world in the game. It slows everything down a lot over time, and by the time you are capable of engaging with it you are effectively invincible. Am I crazy here?

I'm not sure either of the total ham games had a <50 turn 'short' victory condition unless you were hardcore fanging it for them, maybe Chaos. I knocked out a short win in Shogun 2 in ~40 turns (admittedly normal in FoTS), it felt good, like that's the point of the game where the challenge starts petering out and then it was over. The only victory screen I've in hams is the beastmen mini campaign, and even that was a real grind at the end.

The game doesn't normally last more than ~80 turns before I'm sending vanity stacks to paint the map or slap around tyrion or whoever. I'm fine calling that a win, but it'd be nice if the victory conditions were more varied than 'own just so much stuff' or encouraged doing something unusual, like if Teclis had destroying x of y Norscan factions while owning just one province or something. Brettonia's is cool, but I think they had theirs doubled from 1 and it seems like it'd be a hell of a grind. I keep meaning to play them but that orc event sucks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You can end the orc event by sacking an orc settlement FYI.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

genericnick posted:

Why do Hat elves have 3 kinds of dragon? From the stats it looks like a straight upgrade?

I think the size and shape of their breath weapons is different?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

crime fighting hog posted:

I think the size and shape of their breath weapons is different?

It's this and also they are worse/better in combat slighty.

Sun dragons are weakest in combat (still pretty strong) and have anti-infantry breath weapons which are good against lots of bunched up dudes. Star dragons have the strongest combat stats and have breath weapons that destroy small/individual model elite units. Moon dragons are sort of in the middle.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Also, my trip report from playing Vampire Counts the last couple sessions, still very new at the game itself:

I said gently caress it and marched north and west. I left the dwarves alone and they left me alone and now I'm paying for it because they're becoming a real pain in the rear end on the eastern side. I took out the empire, Mannfred himself marched into Altdorf after a short siege as I waited for reinforcements to team up with him.

Almost all the realms of man and some of the Brets have declared war on me, including all the dwarves. I've begun to buddy up with the orcs, I confederated the Red Duke vampire guy after he got downsized hard.

One funny thing was a roaming army of beastmen who wanted an alliance, then sat in my corrupting zone for a long time wasting away before finally moving south and getting killed by empire dudes. It was... weird to see, I wondered what the AI was trying to do. Sit there and replenish but it couldn't?

Man, trying to peace out with the dwarves so I can finish off the empire countries is impossible. No matter how much money I throw in on a peace treaty it's a simple "nope". Which cracks me up.

I WILL FEAST ON THEY BONES :drac:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The breath attack on Star Dragons is incredibly strong. I've been watching Turin on youtube and he was able to basically alpha strike the enemy lord down with two breath attacks early in the game.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Gitro posted:

I'm not sure either of the total ham games had a <50 turn 'short' victory condition unless you were hardcore fanging it for them, maybe Chaos. I knocked out a short win in Shogun 2 in ~40 turns (admittedly normal in FoTS), it felt good, like that's the point of the game where the challenge starts petering out and then it was over. The only victory screen I've in hams is the beastmen mini campaign, and even that was a real grind at the end.

The game doesn't normally last more than ~80 turns before I'm sending vanity stacks to paint the map or slap around tyrion or whoever. I'm fine calling that a win, but it'd be nice if the victory conditions were more varied than 'own just so much stuff' or encouraged doing something unusual, like if Teclis had destroying x of y Norscan factions while owning just one province or something. Brettonia's is cool, but I think they had theirs doubled from 1 and it seems like it'd be a hell of a grind. I keep meaning to play them but that orc event sucks.

I know I started talking about victory conditions, but I am just as frustrated by the latter thing I mentioned. They made this great huge world, but the growth curve of player power is such that by the time you can access much any of it, there is no challenge remaining. It just feels like bad design, and that is made doubly annoying by the fact that you are paying for the existence of that world during the actual engaging and challenging portion of the game by having to deal with longer turn times.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Helion posted:

I know I started talking about victory conditions, but I am just as frustrated by the latter thing I mentioned. They made this great huge world, but the growth curve of player power is such that by the time you can access much any of it, there is no challenge remaining. It just feels like bad design, and that is made doubly annoying by the fact that you are paying for the existence of that world during the actual engaging and challenging portion of the game by having to deal with longer turn times.

Yeah, this is why I was actually hoping they would downsize the Old World for Mortal Empires, so that you could engage with the new content in a meaningful part of your playthrough. As it is, you have a WH1 with longer turns and some QoL changes and you only really get to visit the wider world during your victory lap. More can be less in this case.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I felt like game 1's Empire victory conditions were pretty good: - Unite the lands traditionally part of the empire and defeat Chaos and the Vampires, which are all things you're likely to want to aim for anyway and once you've done that you're probably in a position where you could roll over anyone else on the map.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i made the point earlier that you have to set your own victory conditions because the game is just too big now. it still stands. treat it as a sandbox with goals and i think you'll have a better time than trying to paint the insanely big map

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
If you're playing a faction that autoresolve tends to favor try to avoid autoresolving the late game fights unless it's something that's clearly yours. Like a t2 settlement v. a stack of elite infantry or whatever. The AI might surprise you.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I think the designers needed to ask themselves a question. Is our AI capable of uniting the lands around it, unlocking the highest tier of units and then providing a credible challenge with those units? If yes, then each starting area should at most consist of just enough space to reach that level before coming into inevitable conflict with your high level neighbors. If no, then it's gotta be a knife-fight-in-a-phone-booth deal like Kroq and Queek. Does that make sense? I think that way at least you'd get something resembling a challenge. These vast spaces allowing for unlimited power consolidation against a hapless AI is just a waste of everybody's time.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I feel like rather than the Big Bad Chaos Invasion of Doom the ME campaign could use more varied, smaller scale events. Stuff like randomly generated Skaven stacks coming up from nowhere, Bretonnian Crusades, Dark Elf raiding fleets, Orc Waaaaghs etc. It would keep each campaign fresh and allow for new and old world factions to interact.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I feel like rather than the Big Bad Chaos Invasion of Doom the ME campaign could use more varied, smaller scale events. Stuff like randomly generated Skaven stacks coming up from nowhere, Bretonnian Crusades, Dark Elf raiding fleets, Orc Waaaaghs etc. It would keep each campaign fresh and allow for new and old world factions to interact.

Agreed, I would be down with seeing this stuff for sure.

As it stands, I don't even have a use for any of the top tier units, because by the time I reach them.... it's not that all of the enemies are dead, it's that I have so much power that I can level any individual player I target anyway :(

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Helion posted:

As it stands, I don't even have a use for any of the top tier units, because by the time I reach them.... it's not that all of the enemies are dead, it's that I have so much power that I can level any individual player I target anyway :(

Use them for all the chaos stacks that everyone modded out lol

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Plavski posted:

i made the point earlier that you have to set your own victory conditions because the game is just too big now. it still stands. treat it as a sandbox with goals and i think you'll have a better time than trying to paint the insanely big map

I agree with this, but I also know that there are people who in TW:W1, got the conquer anywhere mod, and then proceeded to paint the map, simply to spite CA for making regional occupation a thing, and saying most people don't paint the map. There will always be people who paint the map, simply so that they can say "there are people who paint the map, and by not catering to us you're being awful!" or other such things that boil down to acting like this tiny group of people are somehow representative of most players, and must be listened to, because somehow they're the people who are the "core audience". I'm sure that are dedicated fans who map paint, but I somehow doubt it's literally everyone who's part of the "core audience" who map paints.

Anyway, my point is that people who desire to paint the map exist, and some of them can not be dissuaded, for they are not driven by things like "fun" despite claims to the contrary.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 1, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Vargs posted:

Just wanted to add on to this that Angrund now has a defensive alliance with Queek for the same reason. How's that race for Eight Peaks going, Belegar? Got any grudges to settle? No? Well, okay then.

Perhaps the Dwarf/Skaven aversion modifier should be higher because I expect this to happen frequently based on their locations.

Actually, their engineers really like each other and regularly get together for Friday Night Bridge. Dwarves like the Skaven engineers because the dwarves will come up with an idea and the Skaven will simply say 'hold my beer' and somehow make it even crazier/better. The Skaven like the dwarven engineers because they make the best rat warrens for the Skaven's sudden but inevitable betrayal.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The first stage of the Chaos Invasion event finally happened in my Wood Elf campaign and all the various Chaos factions appear to be correctly at war with their respective regions, which is nice. I decided to send a welcoming gift up north, but apparently my gift of Durthu wasn't too well received because Surtha Ek gathered up his stack of chariots and some lesser stacks of fellow warriors and attacked. There are a lot less chariots in Norsca now, I'm not sure Durthu even noticed them coming and shattering on his army.

We'll see if this fortune holds when Archaon turns up.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Helion posted:

Just go to war with the High Elves. If you're not playing as Lothern they inevitably turn into a way more dangerous enemy than anything else. I've had several VH campaigns end because Tyrion decided he didn't like me anymore and I suddenly had 8-10 stacks of swordmasters and dragons (and other stuff) just absolutely wrecking my poo poo. Typically he decides a good time to do this is mid-Chaos invasion.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Just go to war with the High Elves. If you're not playing as Lothern they inevitably turn into a way more dangerous enemy than anything else. I've had several VH campaigns end because Tyrion decided he didn't like me anymore and I suddenly had 8-10 stacks of swordmasters and dragons (and other stuff) just absolutely wrecking my poo poo. Typically he decides a good time to do this is mid-Chaos invasion.

Oh? I'm not gonna lie to you, I don't need a lot of reasons to attack the High Elves.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My wood elf campaign in WH1 ended with me having Paravonn, Mousillon, Greenskins and Marienburg as vassals.

Just kept an eye on the smaller factions when they were losing a war badly, and since they all loved me due to the tech tree I just snapped them up. Hadn't really done much with vassaling before. Mousillon and Paravonn didn't even want any money for it, and Paravonn had both a major and minor settlement.

Still not entirely sure what governs vassaling.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jamwad Hilder posted:

A thing I ran into playing as Tyrion is that the Norscans loved me after I kicked Malekith around, since he had been beating them around before I showed up. For the AI that probably happens too, so when they Norscans come for you in the Old World there's a real chance that they're dragging you into a war with Tyrion too. So as you're busy trouncing the Norscans that come in as the vanguard of Archaon, you're just making Tyrion (who probably owns all of Ulthuan and most of not-North America at this point) real mad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Warm up the speculation generators

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

quote:

We can say it’s for one of our slightly older games though?

Maya: Yes, and the first time we’ve gone back to a game so long after release. That in itself is very new territory and something we’re keen to explore as a studio, because it opens up lots of exciting future projects if it’s successful.

There’s a lot of people still playing this particular game, but there’s also lot more we haven’t even touched in that era yet,

Maybe it's because it came up in the Military History thread recently, but this makes me think Shogun 2 and Hideyoshi invading Korea. You got samurai and musket armies, Korean turtle ships, the Ming Dynasty sending troops to aid Korea, etc.

Edit: nevermind, I read more of the interview and the era is "brand new"

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 1, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Helion posted:

I think the designers needed to ask themselves a question. Is our AI capable of uniting the lands around it, unlocking the highest tier of units and then providing a credible challenge with those units? If yes, then each starting area should at most consist of just enough space to reach that level before coming into inevitable conflict with your high level neighbors. If no, then it's gotta be a knife-fight-in-a-phone-booth deal like Kroq and Queek. Does that make sense? I think that way at least you'd get something resembling a challenge. These vast spaces allowing for unlimited power consolidation against a hapless AI is just a waste of everybody's time.

Interestingly, the sheer size of ME means that AI super empires seem to coalesce pretty easily because there's no player interference in their activities. Dicking around in Lustria for 100 turns and then sailing over to the badlands will often result in you facing a Dwarf faction with 40 settlements and 15 stacks of guys.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Kanos posted:

Interestingly, the sheer size of ME means that AI super empires seem to coalesce pretty easily because there's no player interference in their activities. Dicking around in Lustria for 100 turns and then sailing over to the badlands will often result in you facing a Dwarf faction with 40 settlements and 15 stacks of guys.

I can’t speak for the Dwarves, but so far I am literally encountering smoking ruins and fragmented empires. Even if it is, do they know what to do with their power? Or do they just throw armies at you piecemeal, never attacking your home base, basically lambs to the slaughter?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like to think the DE player in this video is just big into roleplaying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5My0fY0WlM8

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Is it possible to run a campaign so it's just AI vs. AI? I think it would be interesting to see the behaviors over several simulations and how truly random each outcome could be.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Maybe it's because it came up in the Military History thread recently, but this makes me think Shogun 2 and Hideyoshi invading Korea. You got samurai and musket armies, Korean turtle ships, the Ming Dynasty sending troops to aid Korea, etc.

Edit: nevermind, I read more of the interview and the era is "brand new"

Its kindof confusing but theres 3 different games being talked about.

Mayas team is working on an expansion pack for an older game and is expanding on that era

Jacks team is working on the Saga thing which is a focused game related to a previous release. Described to have a simular relation to the other title like Fall of the Samurai had to Shogun. Pretty much confirmed to be set partially in British Isles area and probably about Vikings

Finally, Janis has the next major historical release. Which is the one with the brand new era etc.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it possible to run a campaign so it's just AI vs. AI? I think it would be interesting to see the behaviors over several simulations and how truly random each outcome could be.

Play as beastmen, plonk yourself in some remote forest or whatever in the "hidden camp" stance or whatever the name was and keep passing turns. You wouldn't be able to see that the AI was doing tho unless there is a reveal map command/mod somewhere.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dongattack posted:

Play as beastmen, plonk yourself in some remote forest or whatever in the "hidden camp" stance or whatever the name was and keep passing turns. You wouldn't be able to see that the AI was doing tho unless there is a reveal map command/mod somewhere.

Mods have been made that give agents mapwide sight so in theory this should be possible.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys build armies tailor made to counter the race you are sending them against when playing the campaign? Just curious really. I've always made one "THIS SHOULD BEAT ALL" army template.

The core of my armies are normally the same. Economical archers and infantry. Then I have 6-4 slots that will change based on what is available and what I will fight.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Norscans are annoying as hell as Dark Elves in ME, simply because they hate you but they sit at your backdoor. I've had to spend most of the early-mid game wiping them out so once I start moving south to consolidate the rest of the Dark Elves, I don't have them opening up another front in my rear and force me to spread my limited armies about.

Of course, I could game them and leave their last territory unconquered so I can hellcamp their province and raid it for a continuous supply of slaves. With the economic might of all of one province, I can simply kick their teeth in every time to try to build an army, sack their city, and go back to slave raiding.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Dongattack posted:

I may give this a shot if I get really bored while cleaning one day, just jot down some notes every ten turns or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Haha I was fighting a river battle (courtesy of GCCM) and also had Brutal Battles active. It was Volkmar with plenty of artillery and flagellants vs several Vampire Counts armies.

One or both the mods caused the AI to derp out and have their units come to a dead stop right before they reached the bridge (including flyers). Not sure what happened there, as my own units could cross normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Haha I was fighting a river battle (courtesy of GCCM) and also had Brutal Battles active. It was Volkmar with plenty of artillery and flagellants vs several Vampire Counts armies.

One or both the mods caused the AI to derp out and have their units come to a dead stop right before they reached the bridge (including flyers). Not sure what happened there, as my own units could cross normally.

Vampires can't cross bodies of water! (I would die if this actually was a rule in game, Ulthuan would be safe forever)