Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know they streamed the DNC and the RNC on Twitch last year.

(the weird thing is that they also hit some absurd number of viewers too, you'd think everyone who wanted to watch it would be watching it on YouTube or something)
Let's get those Kappa's up for Trump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The clap meme: GIVE WALMART A PEACE PRIZE

With black hands

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
did you know capitalism created the most calorie-dense food for its extremely low price point in the McDouble?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

did you know capitalism created the most calorie-dense food for its extremely low price point in the McDouble?

they raised the price of the mcdouble by like 20 cents its bullshit
ps a brick of ramen has like 400 calories so myth busted

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

capitalism took away the five-dollar footlong, it's bullshit

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

they raised the price of the mcdouble by like 20 cents its bullshit
ps a brick of ramen has like 400 calories so myth busted

Ramen has less complete nutrition though

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
A bag of lentils is more nutritious and has more calories per dollar, but it achieves that by being cheap as gently caress rather than calorie dense like the mcdouble. Lentils own.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if all you care about is calories then custard-creams-are-cheaper-than-cous-cous-but-you-cant-expect-a-loving-baroness-to-know-that/

quote:

Anyone who claims that healthy food is a cheaper option has clearly never enjoyed the dubious nutitional delights of a pack of Everyday Value Custard Creams (35p, 1,972 calories).

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
oh, sorry, should have linked the article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10210327/McDouble-is-cheapest-and-most-nutritious-food-in-human-history.html

lol the freakanomics guy

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

god drat libertarians are loving stupid

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

also made the associated child predator incredibly rich

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

It also changed the real cold cuts that were used into homogenized turkey meat product, same with the cheese.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It also changed the real cold cuts that were used into homogenized turkey meat product, same with the cheese.

There was a long and terrible period of American history where making food a lovely and bland vehicle of caloric delivery was considered a technological achievement and I'm glad that we're finally starting to move beyond that era. Happened with booze too where after prohibition it was all convenience culture and the selection sucked compared to the century prior for a long time until more recently.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Subway loving sucks, working there is like #2 reason I'm a leftist now

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Oct 31, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

StashAugustine posted:

Subway loving sucks, working there is like #2 reason I'm a leftist now

worked there for a week when i was in high school. it sucked so bad

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

MaxxBot posted:

There was a long and terrible period of American history where making food a lovely and bland vehicle of caloric delivery was considered a technological achievement and I'm glad that we're finally starting to move beyond that era. Happened with booze too where after prohibition it was all convenience culture and the selection sucked compared to the century prior for a long time until more recently.

But prohibition also created cocktail culture as we know it, and I'd rather have fat people with bad taste than starved people so American food ain't all bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dreddout posted:

But prohibition also created cocktail culture as we know it, and I'd rather have fat people with bad taste than starved people so American food ain't all bad

the cocktail came before prohibition - it was dreamed up by early pharmacists back when they thought alcohol was good for you and invented aromatic bitters intended to be mixed with booze and sugar

the first one to become known was probably the sazerac and predates the civil war

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

alcohol IS good for you actually

especially compared to ye olde tincture of mercury and arsenicum

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

No thanks I only take premium cocaine for my headaches

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there was a subway near me but it closed down for a halal chinese restaurant. i think my area is richer for it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
abolish alcohol, make weed mandatory

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the cocktail came before prohibition - it was dreamed up by early pharmacists back when they thought alcohol was good for you and invented aromatic bitters intended to be mixed with booze and sugar

the first one to become known was probably the sazerac and predates the civil war

quote:

The first definition of cocktail known to be an alcoholic beverage appeared in The Balance and Columbian Repository (Hudson, New York) May 13, 1806; editor Harry Croswell answered the question, "What is a cocktail?":

Cock-tail is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters—it is vulgarly called bittered sling, and is supposed to be an excellent electioneering potion, in as much as it renders the heart stout and bold, at the same time that it fuddles the head. It is said, also to be of great use to a democratic candidate: because a person, having swallowed a glass of it, is ready to swallow any thing else.

lol the first use of cocktail is a burn on the dems

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

:perfect:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

abolish alcohol, make weed mandatory
settle down, bill hicks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall the story of the gin and tonic being invented by British troops in India making their anti-malaria medicine more appealing.

I'm pretty sure the Long Island Iced Tea is a result of mixing all the leftovers of the liquor cabinet, to make the Captain Planet of drinks.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure the Long Island Iced Tea is a result of mixing all the leftovers of the liquor cabinet, to make the Captain Planet of drinks.

You're thinking of the flaming moe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's probably most cocktails, actually.

The Simpsons even had the episode where Homer becomes a bootlegger, and after exhausting his initial supply resorts to home-brewing alcohol with extremely varied results.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBbNyIqrg4

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status...genumber%3D2527

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this has been deleted, what did it say

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it was making fun of this but about keeping all the sweets because they own the bucket to teach :capitalism:

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/925495970032443392

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

zug zug

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

there was a subway near me but it closed down for a halal chinese restaurant. i think my area is richer for it

We should close down all subways and replace them with niche ethnic restaurants

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this has been deleted, what did it say

'gonna tell my kid i own his basket so i get to take all his candy to teach him about capitalism'

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

'gonna tell my kid i own his basket so i get to take all his candy to teach him about capitalism'

Stealing candy from a baby to own the libs

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Not sure if this is a good article from the Atlantic or barley concealed right wing bullshit from them

In which The Atlantic asks of PC Culture has gone too far Stu

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Not sure if this is a good article from the Atlantic or barley concealed right wing bullshit from them

In which The Atlantic asks of PC Culture has gone too far Stu

This is was pretty much inevitable. See here as well. The Atlantic was ground zero for the deployment of social justice rhetoric in defense of neoliberalism and austerity and now that Hillary lost they'll be the first to give up on the whole project since its no longer an obvious route to power and prestige. Imagine the kind of imbecile who nodded along when Ta-Nehisi Coates was dubbed the New Baldwin and you'll have an idea of just how easily distracted these people are.

Woozy has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Nov 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Woozy posted:

Ta-Nehisi Coates was dubbed the New Baldwin

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Devotees of the American Politics Show will recall that Coates rose to prominence at The Atlantic by being a huge crybaby about the Sanders campaign and Just Asking Questions about why Bernie wouldn't support reparations. Sometime later he read Bloodlands and concluded that maybe the Nazis weren't the only bad guys but this is just a coincidence.