Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

This is the good post here. Sorry, but this poo poo just can't keep going on, this mythical pursuit of some utterly perfect ideology and the belief that anyone who doesn't match up to it should basically be booted out. It's unworkable in this day and age and will do nothing but doom the voices on the left to irrelevancy. To disown Contra because she's one of the few people who'll actually talk and can hold their own on the other side, or even understand where they're coming from even if they don't agree with them is ridiculous.

I swear though that from the sounds of things some of you would rather have disingenous scummy ideologues like Steve Shives who make out like everyone they don't agree with is a fascist. That's probably a big part of the problem frankly, at least when it comes to YouTube - the majority of the commenters on the left are frankly a bunch of tribalistic loving wastemen. Kevin Logan, Kristi Winters, Dick Coughlan...bleurgh. If that's the sort of poo poo you'd rather get behind than be prepared for the right to dominate forevermore.

(Also lol, Blaire White is a fascist now. Yep, the Shivesism is strong there)

EDIT: Also I like how there's probably lots of creators who people have second thoughts on posting because there might be a derail focused on auditing their political opinions, but the people who cause said derails generally just don't bat an eyelid when it comes to the guy who believes in freaking eugenics. I mean jeez, you wanna call someone a fascist? MovieBob's right there folks! Apparently on your side too!

I wouldn't say blair white is a fascist but she is a useful idiot for them, in much the same way Sargon of Akkad, armouredskeptic, etc are. For the record I am vastly more comfortable with Shives then I am with say mouthy Buddha or sargon, who are literally making videos about the "Jewish question".

The right have far more problematic people on their side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The right also engage in a ton of petty infighting, but for some reason that never gets boosted like when less outrageous versions of it happen on the left.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Kyle talks about a movie that everyone should see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQqbuZIv1DA

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think a few people posting mild criticism of Contra isn't "disowning her"

Obviously the alt right is way worse, but I think 99% of posters here would agree that the alt right is dogshit and not worth engaging. We criticize the left because they might actually listen to us. Ideally it should be all constructive criticism, but you know, the Internet amplifies everything to insane degrees.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The difference is that Bob Chipman has been getting rightfully criticized and mocked for years by people on the left for his statements by people whose thought process goes beyond "IS BIDEOGAME BAD OR GOOD, TOO MUCH MOUTH WORDS ABOUT OTHER STUFF BAD" ,"FREEZE PEACH" and "LOL DUMB HICKS" and can actually process "Oh yeah this person who attacks """uppity"" black people , syrian refugees and non-gender-conforming types on an appeal to come across as the """normal""" left is probably kind of fascist, even if part of a minority".

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

I wouldn't say blair white is a fascist but she is a useful idiot for them, in much the same way Sargon of Akkad, armouredskeptic, etc are. For the record I am vastly more comfortable with Shives then I am with say mouthy Buddha or sargon, who are literally making videos about the "Jewish question".

The right have far more problematic people on their side.

TBH I don't really like this "useful idiot" argument a lot of the time for a couple of reasons...it kinda feels like the sort of thing that could be used by the other side without modification? Like you could say that watching, I dunno, Hbomb is potentially a slippery slope towards believing in Pol Pot-style communism. Or that weed is a gateway to crack. Like it might be true technically but how often does it happen in reality? I also kinda wonder where the proof is for all of that - the main people I hear saying this sort of thing are the likes of Anglin and Spencer, and considering how much bullshit they spout I have to wonder if that's bull too. Like, where's their proof that watching anti-SJW content on YouTube is a gateway towards White Nationalism? In a weird way it sort of gives credence to something they're mainly pushing.

I also kinda think that if there are fascist beliefs inside of you, then you're very likely predisposed towards not liking Blaire White regardless of any political opinions that she may hold. I've watched a ton of her personally and there's a pretty fair amount of things I agree with her on, and as she's kinda on the centre that makes me think the fascists would like her even less than a Sargon-type figure, even without adding being trans into it.

Not gonna speak on Mouthy Buddha - I don't know him and I've not watched him, mainly 'cause I know he has those videos and that's kinda a big turn off...seems like a Black Pigeon Speaks-type thing. To my knowledge Sargon's never made a vid about the Jewish Question...I only really know the Nazis are Bad video which pissed off lots of Nazis. Though if something like that was in all of his videos I'm not sure if it would surprise me all that much because, well, he's Sargon.

As for Shives...nah, I just can't take the guy at all. I find his approach destructive and incredibly dishonest, he's not interested in dialogue and gives no good reasons whatsoever for that, he often uses people fot his personal gain and discards them, he blocks people who have literally had no interaction with him whatsoever...the man is a laughing stock. It's so easy to clown on him that a child could do it. If that guy's one of the leading voices on the left on YouTube, it's no wonder that more people are moving towards, say, the anti-SJW side (I wouldn't go as far to say that Shives moves people to the right, he's too far gone for that). That whole MythCon thing he and his friends like Kristi Winters tried to pull was dreadful and ignoble.

business hammocks posted:

The right also engage in a ton of petty infighting, but for some reason that never gets boosted like when less outrageous versions of it happen on the left.

This is a left-leaning place, so there's probably a lack of awareness of such infighting on the right. But in the main - speaking for me at least? It's because I want the left to do better. I consider myself to be moving towards centre albeit with a lot of left-leaning opinions, though that doesn't change the fact that I've been pretty far on the left for most of my life. I don't want to keep feeling turned off, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blaire White’s niche is begging to be the first into the ovens because she considers herself a degenerate. That’s not being a fascist exactly, but I know why reactionaries like to make space for her right now.

I think she’s a messed-up, ignorant and stupid person who needs help accepting herself, but she’s an alibi for nazis in a way that merely amoral poo poo-stirrers looking for attention like shoe on head and Chris ray gun are not.

I do think Sargon recruits for nazis by normalizing their symbols and language in a “safe” context where people may not have their guards up, kind of like Milo. Like Milo he may know what he’s doing, or he may be too stupid to understand it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think a lot of this comes from the fact that a lot of Trans and NB people have experience dealing with poo poo heads who demand a debate about if they are really trans. Mostly in the guise of "Just Asking Questions". This tends to make a lot of Trans and NB people put up a permanent shield. And we do need to get better at explaining to cis people what being trans means in general. That does mean talking to people may not be the friendliest to trans people. Otherwise groups like the Daily Mail are the ones who tell our stories and they are going after anyone who says anything remotely positive about Trans People.

And the "Problematic" Stuff needs to go away. Because it's basically become another form of respectability politics. And gently caress THAT poo poo. Im seeing way to many people chased out of queer and left spaces simply because they still think Hillary Clinton would have been a good president. And it's a lot of trans people being chased out by Cis people.

I trust that Contra knows what shes doing when she agrees to an interview with someone like that. Or agrees to a debate with the likes of Sargon and Blair White. I think shes wasting her time with the likes of them but I trust that shes not going to suddenly become a truscum. If you are cis and you see a trans person talking to a conservative or someone who hates Trans people, Trust Us. We Know what we are doing.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 1, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Blaire White’s niche is begging to be the first into the ovens because she considers herself a degenerate. That’s not being a fascist exactly, but I know why reactionaries like to make space for her right now.

I think she’s a messed-up, ignorant and stupid person who needs help accepting herself, but she’s an alibi for nazis in a way that merely amoral poo poo-stirrers looking for attention like shoe on head and Chris ray gun are not.

Um, no. That's not her niche even in the slightest. She sure as hell doesn't consider herself a degenerate.

ED: I should expand on this a bit I guess. I'll use her latest vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siJ-tlWZQ4A

For context: This vid is about the recent case of a trans woman (apparently) who sexually assaulted a minor in a bathroom. People on the right such as Ian Miles Cheong and Steven Crowder have been using this to push the narrative that trans people shouldn't be allowed in public bathrooms by presenting the case as such, even though the incident occurred in a home bathroom and was carried out by a person known to the family, and in the video Blaire debunks these right-wing talking points as utter trash. I don't think her thinking that she's a degenerate or something like that really jives with such a vid, and it doesn't really jive with a lot of the content she's producing lately. Like, she is a proud trans woman...sometimes a bit too proud and immature, and yeah - some of the dogging of other trans folk for the way they look has been pretty awful (it seems, at least, that there's been way less of that since her apology to Riley Dennis).

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 1, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lupa took a brief look at my very favorite teen flick "Ginger Snaps"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEmyv-yU2s

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

One can do the "I'm proud of being x and as such, endorse these stances that are generally accepted to be harmful to x folk by x". Michelle Malkin , Dinesh D'Souza and Thomas Sowell certainly come to mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Um, no. That's not her niche even in the slightest. She sure as hell doesn't consider herself a degenerate.

ED: I should expand on this a bit I guess. I'll use her latest vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siJ-tlWZQ4A

For context: This vid is about the recent case of a trans woman (apparently) who sexually assaulted a minor in a bathroom. People on the right such as Ian Miles Cheong and Steven Crowder have been using this to push the narrative that trans people shouldn't be allowed in public bathrooms by presenting the case as such, even though the incident occurred in a home bathroom and was carried out by a person known to the family, and in the video Blaire debunks these right-wing talking points as utter trash. I don't think her thinking that she's a degenerate or something like that really jives with such a vid, and it doesn't really jive with a lot of the content she's producing lately. Like, she is a proud trans woman...sometimes a bit too proud and immature, and yeah - some of the dogging of other trans folk for the way they look has been pretty awful (it seems, at least, that there's been way less of that since her apology to Riley Dennis).

I might have been unfair in that. By degenerate I mean that she has argued that she’s afflicted with something medicine can’t at present cure and that there should have be a way to transform her into a man who’s happy to be a man, and that would constitute a cure for the thing that’s wrong with her.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I might have been unfair in that. By degenerate I mean that she has argued that she’s afflicted with something medicine can’t at present cure and that there should have be a way to transform her into a man who’s happy to be a man, and that would constitute a cure for the thing that’s wrong with her.

Well, it's a hypothetical but...y'know, yeah. It would be nice if there was something that worked and made me utterly happy to be in the body that I was born with...it would be a lot easier than transitioning, which is an incredibly long and difficult process with all kinds of different challenges and risks. Not that this means there's any regret or anything, for me and I presume Blaire too, in going down the path - for myself, I'm about 1,000 times happier, stronger and better as a person for it. After all, such a cure that would make me happy to be a man doesn't exist so hey-ho.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Well, it's a hypothetical but...y'know, yeah. It would be nice if there was something that worked and made me utterly happy to be in the body that I was born with...it would be a lot easier than transitioning, which is an incredibly long and difficult process with all kinds of different challenges and risks. Not that this means there's any regret or anything, for me and I presume Blaire too, in going down the path - for myself, I'm about 1,000 times happier, stronger and better as a person for it. After all, such a cure that would make me happy to be a man doesn't exist so hey-ho.

I just think that skirts a little close to the nazis attitude toward disability/dysgenics, given how badly she insists that she would prefer some nonexistent drug that could change her brain and sense of self, the implication being that her current state of existence is not enough of a relief (when it seems in reality to be a tremendous relief that abates considerable suffering and death). I always find the further implication in those kinds of arguments to be that people who transition are making the wrong choice (the better choice being an imaginary prescription), which is a bad and dangerous argument in the universe where there is only one option.

Like, it’s unhelpful to latch onto a hypothetical when discussing people who are really, actually alive now in the world that exists. And it skirts very close to the right-wing talking point that trans people choose to be trans as some kind of mistake or indulgence.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Um, yeah? Being trans isn't a problem but gender dysphoria absolutely is, it's a state of mind that is 100% disruptive to one's ability to live a comfortable life. Transitioning is a way of dealing with that problem, but transitioning is also a difficult, emotionally draining process. It's perfectly understandable for one to wish they just didn't have to deal with it, nobody wants to be born into a more difficult road in life.

quote:

I just think that skirts a little close to the nazis attitude toward disability/dysgenics,
That's kinda a huge slippery slope. Never mind that the far right intentionally co-opts reasonable arguments and then twists and corrupts them to be fascist. If you asked me a couple years ago if there was a problem with dishonest news media, I would've said "hell yes". Now I'd need to stop and think about whether you really mean dishonest news media or "news media that doesn't conform to the will of the state"

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 1, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Augus posted:

Um, yeah? Being trans isn't a problem but gender dysphoria absolutely is, it's a state of mind that is 100% disruptive to one's ability to live a comfortable life. Transitioning is a way of dealing with that problem, but transitioning is also a difficult, emotionally draining process. It's perfectly understandable for one to wish they just didn't have to deal with it, nobody wants to be born into a more difficult road in life.

Yeah, but when your rhetoric frames your only option as the worse choice and your preferred choice doesn’t exist and doesn’t seem possible without a better understanding of the human mind several orders of magnitude beyond what currently exists, it kind of poisons the well and emphasizes the “I’m sick” part over the “I’m surviving/my sickness has been largely mitigated by real medical interventions that exist now” part.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

cat doter posted:

here's a novel idea: sometimes people can be wrong without being "garbage"

To clarify I'm sure she's a fine person and it is indeed a stretch for me to say she's garbage because she made some dumb calls, I was in a bad mood when I made those posts and I'm sorry. it's just that her videos make use of really bad That Guy With The Glasses style sketch humor with dumb costumes that makes me wanna die.

Anyway Blaire White's a disingenuous right wing poo poo who hangs out with and boosts pieces of poo poo like Ray Blanchard, that gatekeeping quack, and gives fascists cover to insult trans people because "lol it's a mental illness" and she should be lobbed via catapult into the face of a cliff IMO.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

That Guy With The Glasses style

This is the worst thing you've said about her imo.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SunAndSpring posted:

it's just that her videos make use of really bad That Guy With The Glasses style sketch humor with dumb costumes that makes me wanna die.

This is the most offensive thing I read about Contra in the past 24 hours.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I dunno, watching them makes me think of like Kickassia or that dumb Dr Insano poo poo Spoony used to do

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Her skits - at least the ones I've seen - serve to enhance the videos they are part of either by framing or adding to the point therein, or to provide contrast. In some cases, the skit is part and parcel with the video's purpose and presentation rather than being separated.

In the case of TGWTG style skits, they're tangentially-related to any given video, at best.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

I dunno, watching them makes me think of like Kickassia or that dumb Dr Insano poo poo Spoony used to do

You’re making me scream in real life. I’m literally shaking. This is the most offensive thing anyone could say about Contra.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Any time she talks about, let's say that segment on which she's on B/W and talks about the kingdom in heaven it just goes over my head and this comes to mind

https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/804811182297202689

But that's not somewhere I'd attack her output.

Also, yesterday Night Mind managed to blow me away. That Corpsey twist, holy poo poo

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Kim, you are aware that Spencer himself has said that Sargon is useful for introducing others to his white supremacy beliefs?

This isn't me clutching at straws here either. It's your right to believe there are bad people on the left but they aren't the same, aren't as bad as their right wing/"centrist" counterparts who have no problem with advocating hosed up positions.

Kristi Winters, Shives etc doesn't give cover for nazis, but sargon, Blaire White etc do so it's honestly a false equivalency.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 1, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yes, I am. I went through it in detail in the reply I made to you and why I thought it was questionable seeing as he just chucks it out there without any proof or whatever that this is something that happens on a regular basis. If there was evidence from someone who'd actually done that, progressed from Sargon, to a more right-wing person like Lauren Southern (there's a stronger case there considering some of the things she's talked about) all the way to the Daily Stormer instead of just the word of the racist ideologue himself, that might be something more convincing.

Does he know, or is he being a disingenuous little poo poo? I think there's something telling about specifically putting that trio together, even. He's a nasty piece of work.

I just think that skirts a little close to the nazis attitude toward disability/dysgenics, given how badly she insists that she would prefer some nonexistent drug that could change her brain and sense of self, the implication being that her current state of existence is not enough of a relief (when it seems in reality to be a tremendous relief that abates considerable suffering and death). I always find the further implication in those kinds of arguments to be that people who transition are making the wrong choice (the better choice being an imaginary prescription), which is a bad and dangerous argument in the universe where there is only one option.

Like, it’s unhelpful to latch onto a hypothetical when discussing people who are really, actually alive now in the world that exists. And it skirts very close to the right-wing talking point that trans people choose to be trans as some kind of mistake or indulgence.

That's some real twisting of poo poo there, quite unfortunate.

Being trans is difficult, as I said. It means lots of drug taking (HRT, which does tons of poo poo to your body - and not ALL of it is good), invasive procedures like FFS, not to mention SRS itself - a massively invasive procedure which, sometimes, doesn't even end up producing satifying results. And even then for some trans people that's STILL not enough in the end. It's ridiculously unfair to twist such a belief into something skirting Eugenics or whatever bullshit - especially when, from the way you're talking, you're not trans yourself.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 1, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

If we're disowning anyone I nominate you

Foppington Forever

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I think it's great to see a rise in video essays as online film criticism goes from the surface level logistic criticism of pointing out plot holes (Confused Matthew, Cinema Sins, YMS) to a deeper discussion of themes and tone. But I have a problem with the tone and form that a lot of people now feel the need to put their observations into. Whenever youtube recommends me a video essay I have to brace myself before clicking on it. Because these videos now do feel a lot more like lectures, which end up with the commentator kind of having to prove their authority in a way a more casual video wouldn't. It can't just be some thought you had about a movie. Now you have to present it as if it's this incredibly insightful observation that will change the way you look at movies. And not every argument lives up to that sense of importance.

One of the things that bothers me about a lot of them is how emotionally cold they are. I don't feel like I hear "I" or "Me" used a lot, which seems odd when talking about such a personal and subjective experience like watching movies. There's this weird sense of academic distance that i get the sense they feel the need to create. And it result in a lot of them having a real lack of personality. So many of these video essays just kind of blend together.

A large part of it probably is that it's difficult to find that balance between being informative and being personable. With any trend there will be a lot of me-toos. The only difference here is that there seems to be a slightly higher barrier of entry, since it takes a bit more skill to construct an argument than it does to make a Nostalgia Critic type video.

I think this is why lately I prefer movie podcasts more than videos. They allow a much more open and diplomatic form of discussion, rather than someone insisting that they are about to blow my mind. I feel that a lot of video essayists mentioned here do a really great job of having a more casual natural voice to their videos while still fitting a lot of information in. (Contrapoints, Lindsay Ellis, Dan Olson, Hbomberguy, et cetera) But too many of them feel like they're just trying to prove how smart they are.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 1, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Academia!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sarcopenia posted:

Lupa took a brief look at my very favorite teen flick "Ginger Snaps"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEmyv-yU2s

Oh yeah, Ginger Snaps-- an actually good piece of werewolf media.

I haven't watched that one in years so it's good to hear it holds up.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Liana K's new "Lady Bits" series gets underway with a look at Lara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJMj3B1BFko

10 mins in and enjoying it so far - lot of good humour and comparisons between old and new Croft.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ash Crimson posted:

Kim, you are aware that Spencer himself has said that Sargon is useful for introducing others to his white supremacy beliefs?

This isn't me clutching at straws here either. It's your right to believe there are bad people on the left but they aren't the same, aren't as bad as their right wing/"centrist" counterparts who have no problem with advocating hosed up positions.

Kristi Winters, Shives etc doesn't give cover for nazis, but sargon, Blaire White etc do so it's honestly a false equivalency.

Don't bother engaging with Kim it isn't worth the effort. They are to obsessed with the people they like can't be bad to form a salient point.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of: Whatever you do, don't take a look at the Spoony Experiment subreddit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

It's become a haven for the weird gross spoony-stalkers that this thread occasionally sees

Also shouting angry unsubstantiated rumors about other critics who are completely unrelated to Spoony, because I guess they're responsible for the fact that he stopped making videos and is an evil anarchist leftist SJeW?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

Oh yeah, Ginger Snaps-- an actually good piece of werewolf media.

I haven't watched that one in years so it's good to hear it holds up.
I watched it straight after seeing this video. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how good it is. That intro man.

And By the by. Kim for awhile you were the one to move this thread away from talking about the politics of critics but now you're one of the instigators when it comes to political posts. I get that knee jerk, reactionaries are frustrating but drat. You are almost always the reason that we get pages upon pages of non content of political rants.

Won't somebody please just have a conversation about the "newer" critics that get posted in this thread? Does D&D have a thread for internet personalities because boy it sure would be nice if people could air their grievance there instead. Oliver Harper is so good, go watch him.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Yes, I am. I went through it in detail in the reply I made to you and why I thought it was questionable seeing as he just chucks it out there without any proof or whatever that this is something that happens on a regular basis. If there was evidence from someone who'd actually done that, progressed from Sargon, to a more right-wing person like Lauren Southern (there's a stronger case there considering some of the things she's talked about) all the way to the Daily Stormer instead of just the word of the racist ideologue himself, that might be something more convincing.

Does he know, or is he being a disingenuous little poo poo? I think there's something telling about specifically putting that trio together, even. He's a nasty piece of work.

No offence Kim, but your reply doesn't satisfy me because first of all you have actual neo-nazis confirming that etc is indeed a useful idiot, you don't have the same for literal communist pol-pot supporters and Hbomberguy and if you did i would actually acknowledge it rather than burying my head in the sand because it's uncomfortable.

Like, what's with your very generous giving of the benefit of the doubt for these people? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that one can evolve fromanti-sjw views easily into a dark, bigoted place, especially if all you're being told about the other side is, at worst, the most hysterical fringe elements of the left (tumblr, etc). Even more so on the internet, where apparently "it's a joke" is the ultimate get out card.

I don't give these people the benefit of the doubt because they have no problem claiming that the left is insane because of a few idiots on tumblr, which let's be real, if that's the "danger" the left poses then im just going to laugh because the danger the right poses is far more insidious, has actual real life consequences and would lead to people like me being dead, which is why i think your claim that shives, coughlan, winters are the left's equivalent is so disengenous.

I apologise for my hostile tone but it's honestly the equivalent of claiming Antifa are the exact same as Neo-Nazis/Alt-Righters, at best it's apologetics and at worst it's an open disdain for the truth. It isn't about "purity" by the way, it's about not letting these fucks get away with spouting views that are harmful to people, Blaire White, Milo and other other LGBT Alt-right member have no problem with routinely throwing other LGBT people under the bus for a quick buck, views or popularity and it's loving disgusting, they make it worse for us LGBT people, not better.

Edit:

What a normal and not at all hosed up thing to say, how could anyone believe she's a gateway to the alt-right?

Here's a nice little website that has more stuff about the hosed up things she believes:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Blaire_White

My favourite part is where she spouts opinions that are pretty much alt-right anti-trans talking points

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 1, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

I watched it straight after seeing this video. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how good it is. That intro man.

And By the by. Kim for awhile you were the one to move this thread away from talking about the politics of critics but now you're one of the instigators when it comes to political posts. I get that knee jerk, reactionaries are frustrating but drat. You are almost always the reason that we get pages upon pages of non content of political rants.

Won't somebody please just have a conversation about the "newer" critics that get posted in this thread? Does D&D have a thread for internet personalities because boy it sure would be nice if people could air their grievance there instead. Oliver Harper is so good, go watch him.

Yeah, I can't help but respond when people say annoying poo poo about people I respect (as in Contra, which was how we got started this time) but you're right lol.

Anyway, I'm gonna be done with posting about anything much politically here anymore. If I fail to do that I'll probably just do a banme or something, I dunno.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3wZQM8KiZ8

Mikey Neuman (of movies with Mikey) and friends take a look to find the good in League of Extraordinary Gentleman and find out that the good makes up about 75% of that movie.

It's always great to see videos like this of someone truly admiring a film that has been generally maligned. It makes that viewing experience such an incredibly enjoyable and surprising experience. I feel for me when I enjoy a movie like Monkey Bone, the fact that it has been so critically panned makes my enjoyment feel all the more special.

Sometimes we can get into this mentality where the jury is in for a certain movie and it has been decreed an officially bad movie TM. So your enjoyment is just a reminder of the wonderful subjectivity of film, and how sometimes there is something new to be discovered in a work. It just needs a different perspective.

P.S. Monkey Bone is good and cool.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Noah Gervais reviews two franchises that I'm probably never going to play, but the video's pretty good anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

He makes a really compelling point about the quality of the DLC of Alan Wake but I still think the ending of the main game is perfect the way it is.

Also as much of a mess American Nightmare is Club Foot is a banger and I will fight anyone over it :colbert:

• Locked thread