Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Matt Zerella posted:

Smile and interact with your mom?

For real, this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I still laugh my rear end off about the time my mom discovered Facebook, had a friend post about their dead family member, and my mom replied LOL.

I had to call her and ask why she did that and she said "what did I do? Doesn't that mean 'lots of love?'". Then I had to show her how to delete the comment and PM the friend to apologize.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Matt Zerella posted:

I still laugh my rear end off about the time my mom discovered Facebook, had a friend post about their dead family member, and my mom replied LOL.

I had to call her and ask why she did that and she said "what did I do? Doesn't that mean 'lots of love?'". Then I had to show her how to delete the comment and PM the friend to apologize.
Ahahahahaha your mom owns :allears:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Lords of Lucifer

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why does Apple Maps still suck at recognising suburbs in addresses?

had a calendar entry with an address of '18 english street Roselands' and it totally ignored the suburb and was going to send me to an english st 20minutes in the wrong direction for where I needed to be.

You open the same link with google maps and it grabs the full address no issues.

Apple Maps seems to want '18 English St, roselands' and without that comma, it will just go to whatever one it wants to, totally ignoring the provided info.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Laserface posted:

had a calendar entry with an address of '18 english street Roselands' and it totally ignored the suburb and was going to send me to an english st 20minutes in the wrong direction for where I needed to be.

You open the same link with google maps and it grabs the full address no issues.

Apple Maps seems to want '18 English St, roselands' and without that comma, it will just go to whatever one it wants to, totally ignoring the provided info.

Just wait until you try to put that address as the location in a calendar event and watch the recognized code just flip out or tie it to a totally different place (as you said still 20 minutes away in the wrong direction). And totally forget about linking locations between apps. Just don’t. Not even once.

Good times. I love the theory of having location awareness and real time updates of when you have to leave to get places and whatever but if you can’t trust it, it’s useless.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah the actual mapping data is a lot better for Apple Maps but its search is still just horrible. I've had that issue too.

Also, if I search for a town that's both 10 minutes away and also the name of a large city halfway across the country, I probably want the local one. I don't mind typing in a two letter state abbreviation if I'm getting ready for an 18 hour drive!

The worst, by far, though, is that it'll continue to try to refine your search after giving you results, so by the time you go to tap on table cell #3, it might have changed to a different location. Hope you notice and get annoyed rather than start driving to the wrong place.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Laserface posted:

Same problem in my country.
Apple Maps has much better turn by turn but the search is just terrible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Either the latest beta or the beta before cleared my custom vibrations for contacts, so if you use those you might have to go in and set them again.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Apple Maps finally has, as of this morning, public transport for Ireland (both North and South). Google's had it for quite a while now but it's nice to see Apple Maps slowly catching up. Now if only they had a web version.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Apple Maps finally has, as of this morning, public transport for Ireland (both North and South). Google's had it for quite a while now but it's nice to see Apple Maps slowly catching up. Now if only they had a web version.

Yeah I tried it last week during the beta and the bus stuff in Dublin is really good.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just went to 11.1 - glad the 3D multitasking is back and I am keeping my fingers crossed on battery life with earlier 11 versions I was down to under 5H on a 6S+.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ok my iMessages are broken in 11.1 they just get stuck at “failed to send”.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

Ok my iMessages are broken in 11.1 they just get stuck at “failed to send”.

You haven't been signed out of iCloud or something really obvious?
I had a problem like that on my MacBook after upgrading to High Sierra

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
11.1 is very good so far.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ok iMessages is working my AirPods were wonky didn’t recognize. Finally got that working again.

So far the update was not seamless.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

.Z. posted:

Do airpods fit snugly in people's ears? Or are they supposed to feel like they are resting loosely in your ears?

I went to try them out and it felt like they would fall out. But at the same time, I had to shake my head quite a bit to make them actually fall out.

I use them while jogging at the gym and going about my day bumping into people on the subway etc. and have never had them dislodge. I thought they were kind of silly when they were first shown, but they have been a huge improvement over the regular wired headphones you get. They are easy to use, and automatically pause media when you remove them. They are probably my favorite Apple product in years.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I tried it last week during the beta and the bus stuff in Dublin is really good.
One thing that always catches me out is that Aircoach in NI/ROI isn't included on Google (and also not on Apple) but it's a private transit company I guess so that data isn't gonna be part of the same pool. Has it handled Dublin's utterly messed up tram system well?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Has it handled Dublin's utterly messed up tram system well?

Haha I'm a north sider so the Luas is basically useless to me, I haven't checked it yet.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Polish retailer listing suggests AirPower could be priced at $199

Please god no fuckin :lol:

I imagine it's a placeholder but still, opens the eyes to possibility from the same company that just released a $100 stylus and a $200 book.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

enojy posted:

Polish retailer listing suggests AirPower could be priced at $199

Please god no fuckin :lol:

I imagine it's a placeholder but still, opens the eyes to possibility from the same company that just released a $100 stylus and a $200 book.

That is too fuckin much. And honestly, if it's that price, I'd consider buying it if it didn't look like some basic rear end ikea design. It's not very nice looking. Looks like something that should ring in at half that...

(My Saddle Brown X case arrives today. Excited to get an idea on "in-the-hand" form factor of the X)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Get your hot takes here!

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2017/10/iphone_x_review_hand_gestures_replacing_home_button_are_an_adjustment.html

quote:

Until I see a 3.5mm mini jack back on the iPhone, there's just one hand gesture I'm gonna need.

:jerkbag:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't figure out why people want wireless everything except headphones.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Can't figure out why people want wireless everything except headphones.

You cant? Did you even try? An extra cost, an extra thing to charge, latency where there was none, limited form factors, more easily lost. Not everybody is turned off by that but the tradeoffs are pretty clear. You look like an idiot being so glib about it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Feenix posted:

(My Saddle Brown X case arrives today. Excited to get an idea on "in-the-hand" form factor of the X)

Same, saddle brown friend.
Honestly I'm kind of excited for the X and the interaction improvements it should bring. I use the flashlight and camera alllllll the time so having them as buttons on the lock page make a lot of sense.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

You cant? Did you even try? An extra cost, an extra thing to charge, latency where there was none, limited form factors, more easily lost. Not everybody is turned off by that but the tradeoffs are pretty clear. You look like an idiot being so glib about it.

Thank god you can still used wired headphones!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Thank god you can still used wired headphones!

Yeah, last I checked the iPhone still comes with a Luddite adapter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

Really hard not to read this in Dustin's voice from Stranger Things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

Bluetooth keyboards/mice cost more and need a charge, no one gave a poo poo.

Bluetooth speakers are super popular now too so I guess the latency isn't considered to be a big deal either.

If you want big headphones, you can get big bluetooth headphones. So form factor is a non-issue. That solves the losing them problem too.

Sorry grandpa. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Speaking of Bluetooth speakers can anyone recommend a good one that might work for keeping on my desk at work.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Speaking of Bluetooth speakers can anyone recommend a good one that might work for keeping on my desk at work.

Wait until the HomePod is released, friend.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah I’m not dropping $350 for something that’s gonna sit on my desk.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I have this and it's very good for an office speaker. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wir...n+bluetooth+705

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In the super budget $30 connect to one device area, Anker SoundCore. Soundcore 2 is $10 more, has a mic, and is water resistant (I think).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are a few big issues with wireless headphones:

1. Use across multiple devices
2. Battery life
3. Sound quality

Airpods address these issues pretty well.

Assuming you're fully in the Apple ecosystem, you can use your Airpods with your phone, tablet, computer, and Apple TV very easily. You don't have to go through an annoying pairing process, just select them from a list and boom, they're connected. You still need to pair them with an Android phone/tablet or Windows computer (or hell, a Playstation Vita), but that's not *that* big of a deal.

But not all devices have bluetooth. I can't use my Airpods with my Nintendo Switch (not yet, anyway) and I actually had to go digging for my old Earpods the other day so I could use headphones with it. It's not a huge deal for me, but dropping $170 on headphones you can only use with some of your devices is too much for some people.

Airpods also address the battery life issue in MOST cases. Some people really do listen to music for more than five hours at a time, or take long international flights where they watch multiple movies in the process. Sure, you can take a quick 15 minute break and get the charge up, but it's another comprimise when compared to wired ones.

Finally, sound quality. This is where all wireless headphones (even the Airpods) come up short. For $170, you can get yourself a solid set of wired cans that signifcantly better and even have features Airpods don't, like noise cancellation.That said, the Airpods' sound quality is certainly good enough for most people, myself included (though my dongle currently lives attached to my MDR V6's for those times when I REALLY need to hear the music, man).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

I got some cheap thing already delivered from Amazon. Have you held a 6/7/8? It's like that but slightly taller. It's shocking how small it feels after a year on a 7+.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking of bluetooth speakers. I notice mine sometimes stutters and disconnects at random. Is that on the iPhone or the speaker itself?

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/wireless-speakers/srs-xb20

It's just that which I got for $100. It sounds perfectly fine and loud otherwise but I hate when it gets spotty.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

xzzy posted:

Bluetooth keyboards/mice cost more and need a charge, no one gave a poo poo.

Bluetooth speakers are super popular now too so I guess the latency isn't considered to be a big deal either.

If you want big headphones, you can get big bluetooth headphones. So form factor is a non-issue. That solves the losing them problem too.

Sorry grandpa. :shrug:
Wireless keyboards and mice are bad because latency and lovely disconnects. Apple's Magic Mouse is horrible for this.
Wireless headphones are bad because they have poor battery life. Wireless (battery power) speakers suck too. But are acceptable in certain situations.

The only computery thing that should be wireless is the internet connection on a phone or laptop. Wires are significantly better for everything else.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Speaking of bluetooth speakers. I notice mine sometimes stutters and disconnects at random. Is that on the iPhone or the speaker itself?

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/wireless-speakers/srs-xb20

It's just that which I got for $100. It sounds perfectly fine and loud otherwise but I hate when it gets spotty.
Audio 'skips' every once in a while in my truck, using my 8 with apple music. Didn't have that problem with android devices / Google Play music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

lelandjs posted:

There are a few big issues with wireless headphones:

1. Use across multiple devices
2. Battery life
3. Sound quality

1 has mostly been solved, Apple's absolutely nailed it but it's not really that difficult for me to switch from using my headphones on my work PC and phone.
2 has been solved in some cases. The Beats Solo3 Wireless last a no-poo poo 40ish hours on a single charge and can double as wired when needed.
3 has been solved by aptX. You can get $100-150 Bluetooth earbuds that sound more than good enough for the average consumer. If you're comparing like to like, ~$100 seems to still be the sweet spot for good earbuds. And like everything else, prices will continue to drop and fall in more and more people's price ranges.