Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'd be a little surprised if the Redemptionists got a straight reissue, they're pretty :heritage:-looking to US audiences (although the conical hat-thing is actually a Spanish Inquisition thing, which I'll bet you didn't expect!)

(Cue the :heritage: assholes :qq:ing about this in 3... 2...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

I'd be a little surprised if the Redemptionists got a straight reissue, they're pretty :heritage:-looking to US audiences (although the conical hat-thing is actually a Spanish Inquisition thing, which I'll bet you didn't expect!)

I don't disagree with your assessment but I'm fairly sure GW won't give two tin shits about it if they expect a reissue to make them money.

The companies making WW2 miniatures haven't stopped selling nazis have they?

No doubt a new redemptionist gang will be visually different though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have thoughts on Warhammer Quest? I just realized that I really like all the models in the Silver Tower box, but I'd only buy it if the game is worth a few playthroughs.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Shadespire is very Cool and Good. There's a lot of tactical depth to the game, even with just the two sides included. But it sounds like that you're not the only one suffering from a bad demo, apparently reading rules is really difficult from what I've heard people say.

Speaking of, has anyone done any deckbuilding yet? I really haven't had a chance and have just been using the starters.

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on Warhammer Quest? I just realized that I really like all the models in the Silver Tower box, but I'd only buy it if the game is worth a few playthroughs.

I really want those models too. I haven't played it, but everything I've read pegs it as being fun but a bit on the simple side. Hammerhal is liked more it seems, though you can use all the stuff from Silver Tower in it.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Schadenboner posted:

Funny story: one of the guys in my Mordheim group used to play Necromunda in high school during free period thanks to a gaming club. Until someone decided it would be hilarious to do a Confederate Redemptionist gang with the ol' stars and bars and got into a disagreement with someone who did not appreciate being reminded of lynching.

There was no further gaming after that, apparently.

On less "gamers are terrible people" notes, Mordheim continues to be weirdly good despite the jankiness. Hopefully Necromunda and Shadespire mean we get updates to the old rules, because they are showing their age and we're rolling multiple iterations of fixes, house rules, and entirely new subsystems to keep the jankiness to a minimum.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MrFlibble posted:

The companies making WW2 miniatures haven't stopped selling nazis have they?

A historicals company could survive simply on nazis

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

JcDent posted:

A historicals company could survive simply on nazis

This is both good to know and slightly disturbing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MrFlibble posted:

This is both good to know and slightly disturbing.

From my experience probably 70% of all Historicals players who play a German/Austrian/Prussian (Napoleonic or later) army are, if not Nazis, are Nazi-adjacent or -curious.

Maybe my dear departed old FLGS just had a lot of assholes though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The only reason why I'm not playing Wehrmacht is that The Other BA Player in my FLGS is playing Germans.

Germans are the easiest to get into, because wehrabooism is almost inevitable if you are only a little interested in WWII.

Me, I was cured by the Milhist thread. Germans still look loving dope, though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Plenty of wehraboo out there who lust for the vehicles. It's the ones who insist on painting things in SS colours you really need to watch out for.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Just give them all flaming helmets and call it a day

JcDent
May 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Plenty of wehraboo out there who lust for the vehicles. It's the ones who insist on painting things in SS colours you really need to watch out for.

You can get surprisingly tired of Tiger and Panther worship.

I used to love Tiger IIs because of CoH, then I realized they're not much bigger than Tiger Is.

So now I lust for StuGs, Panzer IIIs and Tiger I, the best Tiger.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Shadin posted:

Shadespire is very Cool and Good. There's a lot of tactical depth to the game, even with just the two sides included. But it sounds like that you're not the only one suffering from a bad demo, apparently reading rules is really difficult from what I've heard people say.

Speaking of, has anyone done any deckbuilding yet? I really haven't had a chance and have just been using the starters.

I really want those models too. I haven't played it, but everything I've read pegs it as being fun but a bit on the simple side. Hammerhal is liked more it seems, though you can use all the stuff from Silver Tower in it.

I think the Reavers deck sucks and demoing the game with your opponent playing the stock Reavers doesn't seem to go very well (since they all get 1-shot). There are some cards in the advanced pack though that totally rock and seem to play to their strengths way better, stuff like removing all wounds on a fighter after he kills someone and objectives that encourage more aggressive play.

I removed all the 'HOLD X' objective cards and threw in most of the Khorn ploys and upgrades, swapping stuff out to stay at 10/10 on the power deck.

It is unclear to me whether the expansions will all contain the same universal cards or whether the card pool will be expanded, if the latter, that will be very exciting.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Silver Tower's a lot of fun. The campaign is decently long, such that you're unlikely to get through it all in one night. The difficulty scales slightly based on the number of players, but you really want four people. Or at least four characters. :v:

I've heard good things about Hammerhal, the second game, but I've never played it. In Silver Tower, the enemies are all controlled by rudimentary tables, but Hammerhal has a 5th player to act as a DM as well as some additional mechanics like an item shop between maps. Unfortunately, the models in that one are just reboxings of existing kits.

It's also worth mentioning that GW put out a bunch of rules for alternative characters. There's a card pack that covers almost every plastic character in their WHFB/AoS range (a lot of them are legacy models) and they've been fairly good about including Warhammer Quest rules in White Dwarf as new characters have released. For example, if you'd rather play a saurus oldblood or wight king or high elf loremaster or whatever, you can. I know models as recent as the sky-dorfs have White Dwarf rules. Be forewarned that the additional characters may not be as balanced. The regular, ol' dwarf engineer can clear entire rooms on his own with a single action if he gets good rolls with his shotgun. He gets to keep shooting on a 3+ after every shot regardless of if he hit or not. I'd recommend avoiding him in particular so the other players can at least try to get some kills. Or maybe just limiting the number of free shots he can take.

Hell, there are even rules for SLAMBO.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've seen the regular ol' Necromancer sweep entire levels of Silver Tower with his skelebros and some good rolling. New Warham Quest stuff is very fun through, especially with the additional characters. Gimmick parties are a riot.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

quote:

It is the many millennia of exposure to such potent alchemical processes that has altered the population of House Escher, the Y-chromosome damaged beyond all repair. Almost without exception, House Escher's males are withered imbeciles, and breeding is possible only by the most arcane process of chemical-induced parthenogenesis.

hell, same

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You think they'd steal a male off the... whatever passes for a street in the hive. On the other hand, they're a noble house, and, well, Hapsburg Jaw.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

I think the Reavers deck sucks and demoing the game with your opponent playing the stock Reavers doesn't seem to go very well (since they all get 1-shot). There are some cards in the advanced pack though that totally rock and seem to play to their strengths way better, stuff like removing all wounds on a fighter after he kills someone and objectives that encourage more aggressive play.

I removed all the 'HOLD X' objective cards and threw in most of the Khorn ploys and upgrades, swapping stuff out to stay at 10/10 on the power deck.

It is unclear to me whether the expansions will all contain the same universal cards or whether the card pool will be expanded, if the latter, that will be very exciting.

Yeah, the hold objective cards seem more like a Stormcast thing. Think this weekend I’ll do the same and try to deckbuild it up. I like that the decks are basically 20 cards with no duplicates so it doesn’t become Shadespire The Gathering.

Also I think the expansions will have all new universal cards. Notice that the core set ones are all X/400-something, and duplicates of the same card do not count as a separate number.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So the London Blood Bowl Grand Tournament 2018 (May 18-20) has opened for registration. I’m never going to place highly in the rankings so I’ve decided to pursue the ‘Inflict the most casualties’ trophy. I therefore need to make the killiest team I possibly can.

Tier 1 teams get 6 normal skills
Tier 2 teams get 6 normal and 1 double skills
Tier 3 teams get 7 normal and 2 double skills

No player can be given more than one skill.

All sorts of options for temptation, and I have a wide variety of teams available. I like the idea of Chaos but with the skills package you can’t really stack enough to make them murder machines. Same for Necromantic.

Leaning towards Goblins, aiming for maximum chainsaws, using my doubles on giving block to the trolls, seeing what additional stars I can get (my friend is pushing me to take Rippa but he’s expensive.) In particular fitting in bribes is tricky alongside the expensive star and enough Gobbos on the bench to be selective in my deployment of the weapons.

Anyone experienced with Gobbos able to offer some advice?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Looks like the first Shadespire FAQ is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/01/the-first-shadespire-faq/

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Schadenboner posted:

From my experience probably 70% of all Historicals players who play a German/Austrian/Prussian (Napoleonic or later) army are, if not Nazis, are Nazi-adjacent or -curious.

Maybe my dear departed old FLGS just had a lot of assholes though.

I used to play Flames of War a lot (Note: I played Germans and am not a Nazi), and my store had a decent sized group of people. About half of them played the Germans, either as a dedicated player or just in the "I have a bunch of armies and can play germans in events so we have balanced teams". None of them were nazis, nazi-adjacent or even nazi-vaguely-sympathetic. While there was one guy who really liked German tanks, it was purely an aesthetic thing rather than a wehraboo or "german tanks were super powerful" thing. Most of the people who played Germans just liked their in-game role and rules. That's why I played them, I really liked Mounted Assault as a rule letting you assault with halftracks and Stormtrooper letting you pull of complex movement tricks other factions couldn't.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
When you consider WWII historical games surely they would be functionally unplayable if approximately half of the community did not play as Nazis?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There's always the pacific.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have like a dozen books on nazi germany on my bookshelf.

I'm a history major, don't judge.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Yo, the fluff for this "Nazi" faction is really hosed up!

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

I used to play Flames of War a lot (Note: I played Germans and am not a Nazi), and my store had a decent sized group of people. About half of them played the Germans, either as a dedicated player or just in the "I have a bunch of armies and can play germans in events so we have balanced teams". None of them were nazis, nazi-adjacent or even nazi-vaguely-sympathetic. While there was one guy who really liked German tanks, it was purely an aesthetic thing rather than a wehraboo or "german tanks were super powerful" thing. Most of the people who played Germans just liked their in-game role and rules. That's why I played them, I really liked Mounted Assault as a rule letting you assault with halftracks and Stormtrooper letting you pull of complex movement tricks other factions couldn't.

I think some areas are just blessed to have normal, highly functional nerds and others have a supply of creeps. Also policing that poo poo is important, otherwise the creeps drive away the functional nerds and start a grog fiefdom. Some of the terms might be different, it's been a while since I took sociology.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've run into enough "clean wehrmacht," "Stalin was worse," and "both sides had heroes" creeps to be wary.

It's basically a case where not all Nazi players are racists, but enough racists play Nazis to give you pause.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

moths posted:

I've run into enough "clean wehrmacht," "Stalin was worse," and "both sides had heroes" creeps to be wary.

It's basically a case where not all Nazi players are racists, but enough racists play Nazis to give you pause.

The biggest clue is the swastikas. Most historical nazi soldiers and tanks didn't have swastikas painted everywhere, so if you run into someone with a swastika-laden army they are much more likely to be actual nazis. Of the german armies I saw at my store, the closest thing to a swastika I saw were HJ (I think) units with little red and white paint dots where the swastika armband should be

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ashcans posted:

There's always the pacific.

Because the Empire of Japan was so much better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's a really good tip! The only swastikas you should expect to see are on DAK trees, Luftwaffe tails, or armbands like the HJ.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

moths posted:

That's a really good tip! The only swastikas you should expect to see are on DAK trees, Luftwaffe tails, or armbands like the HJ.

Hell, I don't even do it there. I'm not a big historical stickler, so any time I look up what the thing I'm painting is supposed to look like and see it has a swastika, I just replace it with the iron cross. I just don't want any of that baggage

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

The biggest clue is the swastikas. Most historical nazi soldiers and tanks didn't have swastikas painted everywhere, so if you run into someone with a swastika-laden army they are much more likely to be actual nazis. Of the german armies I saw at my store, the closest thing to a swastika I saw were HJ (I think) units with little red and white paint dots where the swastika armband should be

This is some loving Nazi-Spotting pro tier poo poo here.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

ineptmule posted:

So the London Blood Bowl Grand Tournament 2018 (May 18-20) has opened for registration. I’m never going to place highly in the rankings so I’ve decided to pursue the ‘Inflict the most casualties’ trophy. I therefore need to make the killiest team I possibly can.

If there's an award for it, go for most fouls. Most cas is then just a bonus.

What's the TV? If its 115 or so you should be able make something bitchin with gobbos.

If gobbos are the go then since you have doubles access go for 2 DP, 3 bribes, and work the rest around that. Trolls, a few special weapons, lots of bodies. Game plan is knock people down and big gang fouls. Use the bribes for fouls not special weapons, foul every possible chance you get.

Note, I'm not a gobbo coach in any way shape or form. However I HAVE been on the receiving end of this exact roster a few times and under the hands of a reasonable coach, I've never beaten it. gently caress gobbos.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ineptmule posted:

Tier 1 teams get 6 normal skills
Tier 2 teams get 6 normal and 1 double skills
Tier 3 teams get 7 normal and 2 double skills

No player can be given more than one skill.

All sorts of options for temptation, and I have a wide variety of teams available. I like the idea of Chaos but with the skills package you can’t really stack enough to make them murder machines. Same for Necromantic.

Leaning towards Goblins, aiming for maximum chainsaws, using my doubles on giving block to the trolls, seeing what additional stars I can get (my friend is pushing me to take Rippa but he’s expensive.) In particular fitting in bribes is tricky alongside the expensive star and enough Gobbos on the bench to be selective in my deployment of the weapons.

Oooh, I was tempted by that - where can I get the tournament pack and tier breakdown?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flames of War is the most pleb tier of historical wargaming and their leadership almost passionately hates the Soviets.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

Oooh, I was tempted by that - where can I get the tournament pack and tier breakdown?

I’m not sure, I got it sent to me directly. The website for the LGT in general is https://www.lgtpresents.co.uk

Edit: Blood Bowl page is here: https://www.lgtpresents.co.uk/bloodbowlgt

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 2, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blood Bowl Week 5 is finally complete! Due to some unfortunate scheduling conflicts this one took a little bit longer than some of the previous weeks, but in the end all the games got played other than mine which I had to concede. :smith: Going forward it should be less of a problem though. Here are the results!

Some good match up in week six? Will the Boney Bunch continue their rampage? Will the two Norse teams obliterate each other? Will the Dracula RapDonalds finally score a touchdown? Lets find out!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ineptmule posted:

Because the Empire of Japan was so much better.

You just asked if you could have a playable WWII game without people playing nazis, not if you could play one without people playing a group that committed gross atrocities :shrug:

I guess you could play the Abyssinian Campaign?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, depends on your grog level, really. If you want to bash manz against each other, you can pit Brits against Americans. The cops aren't looking, after all.

FoW doesn't give one poo poo about the historical accuracy of the matchups outside of them having to be from the same era (Early, Mid or Late War).

ED: the issue is not to play the Most Righteous Side Of Any Conflict, but the fact that Nazis have allure for legitime shitbags in a way that you can't see with other historical sides. Sure, Bonapartists might still exist somewhere and you'd probably find some insane weeb carrying the torch for Japanese Empire, and playing African moderns/Imagi-nations can pit you against burdened white men, but the political views of such groups don't matter and games are super rare anyways.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ashcans posted:

You just asked if you could have a playable WWII game without people playing nazis, not if you could play one without people playing a group that committed gross atrocities :shrug:

I guess you could play the Abyssinian Campaign?

Yes, fair enough, sorry.