Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Khisanth Magus posted:

The thing about gerrymandering is that they rely on previous voter patterns to be reliable, which would in my mind also correlate to the candidates and platforms involved. If you can energize a group of people who don't typically vote you can break the hold that gerrymandering provided. The problem of course is that it is a very risky proposition that could result in wasting a lot of money, and the Democrats really don't have a Koch bros willing to throw unlimited money at basically every race in the country.

I 100% agree. It's probably worth experimenting with, maybe try challenging a few House seats here or there and see what stick. Another problem is the unpredictability of candidates that you'll get when you're on the political margins. You might not get anyone with public speaking skills, you might get people with terrible positions on this or that issue, and your ability to filter them is lessened by having less to chose from. That's a problem that mitigates itself as you get bigger though.

quote:

Uh, yeah, and those specific seats are likely pretty safely Dem since that's how gerrymandering works. So why would they automatically flip just because the previous chucklefuck was primaried out?

You are correct, my apologies. I was thinking of Republican gerrymandered seats that are safe R. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I like "A Better Deal". It clearly evokes the idea of the New Deal.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lightning Knight posted:

I 100% agree. It's probably worth experimenting with, maybe try challenging a few House seats here or there and see what stick. Another problem is the unpredictability of candidates that you'll get when you're on the political margins. You might not get anyone with public speaking skills, you might get people with terrible positions on this or that issue, and your ability to filter them is lessened by having less to chose from. That's a problem that mitigates itself as you get bigger though.

You are correct, my apologies. I was thinking of Republican gerrymandered seats that are safe R. My bad.

Gerrymandered Republican districts are easier to flip in a Democratic wave election. The point of the REDMAP gerrymander is to concentrate a bunch of Democratic voters into incredibly safe districts that are something like D+20, and you dilute the rest of your voters into a bunch more R+5 districts. Enough that in a normal (non-wave) election you get very consistent outcomes. But in a democratic wave, gerrymandering can backfire on you, since incumbent Democrats don't have to seriously defend their seats, while almost every Republican in a marginal seat that's been gerrymandered red is at risk, since the turnout margin is enough to threaten their diluted margin.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Instant Sunrise posted:

Gerrymandered Republican districts are easier to flip in a Democratic wave election. The point of the REDMAP gerrymander is to concentrate a bunch of Democratic voters into incredibly safe districts that are something like D+20, and you dilute the rest of your voters into a bunch more R+5 districts. Enough that in a normal (non-wave) election you get very consistent outcomes. But in a democratic wave, gerrymandering can backfire on you, since incumbent Democrats don't have to seriously defend their seats, while almost every Republican in a marginal seat that's been gerrymandered red is at risk, since the turnout margin is enough to threaten their diluted margin.

This is what gave people hope if Bernie became the nominee that the Democrats could get real stuff done, because there is the possibility, however marginal, that having him as a candidate could have caused a wave by energizing normally unreliable voting bases. Some Gerrymandered districts are setup very tight and even a couple % swing would be enough to break the R hold.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In the same way that the New Deal was intended to invoke Teddy Roosevelt's "Square Deal."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Evoking the New Deal It gives POC voters cause to side eye the the initiative because they were intentionally excluded from the New Deal. Further, it sacrifices would could have been a more evocative phrase in order to reference a slogan that most voters probably don't feel particularly strong about (maybe this isn't the case, I didn't look up polling data or anything).

"Better Deal" suggests an improvement to the status quo where a better slogan would imply a break from the status quo.

"Deal" is bad because it reminds voters of Trump.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"Square Deal" was better because it implies that the deal will fair. "New Deal" was better because it implies throwing out the old deal and starting again from scratch.

"Better Deal" just implies that the deal won't be as bad as the current one.

E: like, I know I'm being obnoxious here, but people conceptualize "better" as "being the intermediary between good and best." The current deal is not good, and the Democrats should be promising voters the best.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 1, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Kingfish posted:

Evoking the New Deal It gives POC voters cause to side eye the the initiative because they were intentionally excluded from the New Deal. Further, it sacrifices would could have been a more evocative phrase in order to reference a slogan that most voters probably don't feel particularly strong about (maybe this isn't the case, I didn't look up polling data or anything).

"Better Deal" suggests an improvement to the status quo where a better slogan would imply a break from the status quo.

"Deal" is bad because it reminds voters of Trump.

Voters are unlikely to feel strongly because your average voter probably doesn't remember what the New Deal was. Otherwise all of this is true.

It having kind of a dumb name wouldn't matter as much if they'd never shut up about it, ever. Shout that poo poo from the rooftops. At this point Bernie and his crew should never stop talking about Better Deal, ever, because now it has union stuff in it and then that way if they win he can be like "ok better deal time now"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it just implies whatever previous deal they had was poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Democrats should have just named their platform "Eternal Euphoria."

Chuck Schumer: It's time for a new Democratic platform. It's time for Americans to experience Eternal Euphoria.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ytlaya posted:

Chuck Schumer: It's time for a new Democratic platform. It's time for Americans to experience Eternal Euphoria.

i'd vote for democrats again if they made installing THC pumps in every american part of the platform

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

So opiates in tap water?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'd vote for democrats again if they made installing THC pumps in every american part of the platform

One step closer to the Brave New World future.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

One step closer to the Brave New World future.

A gram really is better than a drat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rappaport posted:

So opiates in tap water?

From personal experience I can assure you that the euphoria produced from such a plan would not, in fact, be "eternal."

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

From personal experience I can assure you that the euphoria produced from such a plan would not, in fact, be "eternal."

I mean, it will be if we use enough

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

I mean, it will be if we use enough

True enough. We'll start needing to cull the human population so we can re-purpose our arable land towards the production of poppies.

A bold vision for a bold new Democratic Party.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Just call it "The Real Deal" and have Congressman Cena get out there and sell it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cross-posting from the suck zone

Condiv posted:

here's a cool little info-comic that was posted in a subreddit i frequent:

https://thenib.com/black-lives-matter-the-aclu-and-respectability-politics?t=recent

it summarizes p well something i've been thinking about for a long time, how non-violent protest is viewed as the only legitimate protest:

i feel like the focus on mlk jr., ghandi, etc as highly effective protests that changed society is done on purpose to keep us from actually exercising what power we have. it leaves us to beg people who are abusing us to stop doing so, telling us that if we beg hard enough, suffer enough, etc. the abusers in high government and elsewhere will have their hearts softened and we'll achieve our goals.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 1, 2017

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Once they've won seats and accomplish things, they have something to run on at the state level, and the Dems will trip over themselves to run left.

The only version of this I am aware of is the Progressive Party in VT. They have won seats at the state level (they currently have about 5% of the state Sen/Rep seats plus the Lt. Gov.) and the VT dems continue to suck and lose and drift right. In Vermont. Where people loving LOVE Bernie.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Acinonyx posted:

The only version of this I am aware of is the Progressive Party in VT. They have won seats at the state level (they currently have about 5% of the state Sen/Rep seats plus the Lt. Gov.) and the VT dems continue to suck and lose and drift right. In Vermont. Where people loving LOVE Bernie.

That doesn't surprise me, but I don't agree that implies that it won't work. It has to be well organized, aggressive, and happen in more than one state before it starts having a serious impact.

It also isn't going to happen overnight.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Rappaport posted:

So opiates in tap water?

Don't need a bill for that. Pruitt will just allow dumping of opiates into the water eventually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it just implies whatever previous deal they had was poo poo

I think the intention is to imply that the current deal--y'know, the deal the Trump administration and the Republicans are offering--is poo poo.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pruitt is the worst because he know how the minutiae of the CFR works.

In the realm of transportation regulation companies can write PHMSA and get letters and interpretations back in a formal process. Letters could say this or that will be interpreted this or that way based on company X's specific circumstances.

I'd imagine the environmental stuff has similar processes and the potential fuckery worries me a lot. Some of it might never come out.

Edit: that was weird meant CFR not federal register

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 1, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In the same way that the New Deal was intended to invoke Teddy Roosevelt's "Square Deal."

in 2320, Senator Barack Duckworth VII runs on a Good Deal platform of ensuring that every village gets enough mutant murder-centipig meat to subsist in a nutritionally healthy fashion

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Democratic Minority House Whip, Steny Hoyer works with House Republicans to block bi-partisan bill to end US participation in the Yemen conflict.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Between shitbags like Steny and Chuck "W was right!" Schumer are the Dems even an opposition party?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

Katie Grant, a spokesperson for Hoyer’s office, did not deny the congressman’s opposition to the resolution and instead issued a statement indicating that negotiations are ongoing. “Whip Hoyer is working with Rep. Khanna, Republican and Democratic leadership, and the Foreign Affairs Committee to find a way forward,” Grant said.

Even as Hoyer works to dissuade lawmakers to cosponsor the resolution, he is also trying to avoid a special Rules Committee decision by House Republicans that would effectively kill the legislation before it receives a vote, according to a legislative aide with firsthand knowledge of the deliberations who is not authorized to speak publicly on the subject. As it is currently written, the resolution has privileged status under the War Powers Act of 1973, meaning it will make it to the floor for a vote regardless of what happens at the committee. Anti-war advocates are concerned that the Republican leadership will strip the legislation of its privileged status, which means the resolution will have no chance.

quote:

Advocates for the resolution are hopeful that senior Democratic lawmakers break ranks and co-sponsor the bill.

Democratic Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has signaled support for the resolution, advocates for the bill say. Pelosi’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

Rep. Joe Crowley, D-N.Y., the fouth ranking Democrat in the House, said he “is concerned about what is happening in Yemen and hopes Republicans will allow debate on the floor,” but he stopped short of saying he would co-sponsor the resolution. Crowley “will continue to review this important issue,” his spokesperson told The Intercept.

Several activists we spoke to expressed concern that Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., the ranking Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee, would oppose the resolution, given that he was one of the few Democrats to vote against a measure to ban cluster bombs in Yemen. But Smith told The Intercept that he is opposed to the “U.S. taking sides in the civil war in Yemen.”

These are probably the most interesting bits. The Democratic whip is opposing the resolution but actively trying to get it to the floor to be voted on publicly, so he may have poo poo opinions but he is working to get the anti-war people heard. Meanwhile Dem leadership is divided, but it appears more of the leadership supports the resolution or at least doesn't actively oppose it than not.

It's not ideal but it making it to the floor at all would be a big deal.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Between shitbags like Steny and Chuck "W was right!" Schumer are the Dems even an opposition party?

no

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Meanwhile Dem leadership is divided, but it appears more of the leadership supports the resolution or at least doesn't actively oppose it than not.
Oh good. Not all Democrats actively oppose the idea that perhaps we shouldn't cavort gleefully in the blood of Yemeni children as insane princelings slaughter them from the air.

How very progressive.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why does opposing Obama's war in Yemen have anything to do with opposing Republicans?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh good. Not all Democrats actively oppose the idea that perhaps we shouldn't cavort gleefully in the blood of Yemeni children as insane princelings slaughter them from the air.

How very progressive.

I mean, no, it's not good.

But the fact that a resolution is likely going to make it to the floor of Congress aided by Democrats to challenge a presidential war is a big loving deal, and the fact that it enjoys a substantial amount of rank and file Dem support and support from the House leader is as well.

Edit: they're also trying to work it into the NDAA, that's also a big deal.

We never should've been involved in Yemen, but Congress even attempted to assert authority over presidential wars with substantial force is a good thing.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 2, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Why does opposing Obama's war in Yemen have anything to do with opposing Republicans?
That's a good point.

Murdering Muslim kids has broad bipartisan support.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's a good point.

Murdering Muslim kids has broad bipartisan support.

it's a bipartisan bill that they're opposing, so not murdering muslim kids does too

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nope.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/gmoomaw/status/925899716768010240

https://twitter.com/rtyson82/status/926032759679840256

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 2, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Donna Brazile just knifed DWS in the back. Guess she sees which way the winds are blowing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
DWS, and pretty much anybody tangentially related to hillary's campaign

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Suddenly everyone trusts her when she says things they want to hear.

FizFashizzle posted:

Guess she sees which way the winds are blowing.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Nevvy Z posted:

Suddenly everyone trusts her when she says things they want to hear.

Nothing about the story itself, huh?

• Locked thread