Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Guys my chain of command is really cool toxic and really seems to care about its soldiers only their own careers

Fixed for reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
having rapport with and respect for members of your chain of command means that you will just be even more hurt when they inevitably have to let some poo poo roll downhill and gently caress your over. If you try to take care of people you will reach a point where you have soldiers who respect you and then one day you will have to tell them that the brigade csm personally requested they be transferred to Greenland one week after marrying their high school sweetheart and they will give you the same look old yeller gave arliss right before he pulled the trigger.

I have more regard for the total assholes for the very occasional times they did the right thing than I do for the guys who actually tried but still hosed me over even though I have been in their shoes and I blame it on some hosed up form of Stockholm syndrome. Fortunately I did not have enough obese ex wives and children with add that I had to stay in plus my alcoholism was mostly the functional type so I got out before 30 and became a normal person.

It is too late for mustang, and for all nobles. But all you first term enlisted should heed my words and shun the siren call of the rockers. Because when you put them on you cannot help becoming a senior nco.

This is my spooky Halloween story. I hoped you liked it.

vvvvv
this guy posted the exact same thing at the same time. Extra spooky.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I genuinely think one of the reasons I hated the military so much was because it was detrimental to myself to watch out for people once I got into a leadership position. I was seriously loving myself over by trying to keep my dudes healthy and motivated.

I wasn’t on some crazy leadership stratosphere or anything, but when you get poo poo for trying to get a dude to his pregnant wife who is bleeding out of her crotch several weeks before her due date, it kind of kills your motivation to give a poo poo.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 1, 2017

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I genuinely think one of the reasons I hated the military so much was because it was detrimental to myself to watch out for people once I got into a leadership position. I was seriously loving myself over by trying to keep my dudes healthy and motivated.

Total agreement on this. What should be no brainer actions suddenly make you less than a child rapist.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang's Lament, E-Ink on Canvas, 2017

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

:vince:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Super good, but I feel like having a few blocks filled out could really add to it. but that may not translate to an avatar

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Super good, but I feel like having a few blocks filled out could really add to it. but that may not translate to an avatar

bite me, tell it to my rating chain

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

bite me, tell it to my rating chain

Sir, I'm sorry I offended you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

I got you

AV

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:perfect:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

I got you

AV

loving expert mode right there, goddamn

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

loving expert mode right there, goddamn

Nah he did most of the work. I just added text boxes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

Nah he did most of the work. I just added text boxes.

More about the choice of address and leave count

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ah you were faster than me

And this version isn't for the avatar, the other one is since it's readable. I vectorized max's comic to scale it up so it looks like rear end when shrunk down.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
hey mustang wait until you come up on use or lose and get told its your fault for not managing your leave better when you lose a few weeks

lmbo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

ah you were faster than me

And this version isn't for the avatar, the other one is since it's readable. I vectorized max's comic to scale it up so it looks like rear end when shrunk down.

I was wondering how you did that. Makes a lot more sense.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

More about the choice of address and leave count

Ah, thanks :D

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I wasn’t on some crazy leadership stratosphere or anything, but when you get poo poo for trying to get a dude to his pregnant wife who is bleeding out of her crotch several weeks before her due date, it kind of kills your motivation to give a poo poo.

This is triggering me so loving hard. A year ago I was in Mustang’s same position down to the branch, rank, and duty station. I told exactly this to my senior rater when I dropped my UQR and he said I need to learn to balance the needs of the Army with the welfare of my soldiers. Never had such a crystal clear understanding that I was doing the right thing until that meeting. One year out and life is so much better it’s a joke.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TheAlphaChaser posted:

This is triggering me so loving hard. A year ago I was in Mustang’s same position down to the branch, rank, and duty station. I told exactly this to my senior rater when I dropped my UQR and he said I need to learn to balance the needs of the Army with the welfare of my soldiers. Never had such a crystal clear understanding that I was doing the right thing until that meeting. One year out and life is so much better it’s a joke.

Yup. This is what broke me too. Several episodes but the one in particular I remember causes me to have panic attacks when coming to from surgery. I was the unit armorer and we had 12 people. We were a consolidated arms room so we piggy backed on someone else. We had those dumb locker type cages that you had to close and had these dumb loving bars that go up so you can’t stick your arm in the gap. I left that open (still locked, but a skinny dude could grab an M16 if he wanted if they knew and tried to open it). Not saying it’s right, but it was a small infraction that did not cost the main arms room any grief other than a phone call saying “you had one inconsistency.” Seeing that they had me doing something before my 4 hour drive to Landstuhl, I was probably in a rush.

I got a phone call about 30 minutes from surgery just getting loving destroyed about how I’m a piece of poo poo for leaving the weapons cage unlocked (they said I did, further clarification provided my description, weeks later at my official counseling or whatever.). The assistant that saw me come out of surgery saw me come out in a full blown panic attack. I kept asking for my wife, and they had to give me barbiturates to ca down. They told me my breathing dropped down to 4-5 breaths a minute. They almost pulled me out because they were worried I might go on the table.

My counseling was bullshit. I walked in there and immediately accepted responsibility. The next hour was them lambasting my attitude of “I hosed up, I’m sorry, how can we fix it?” Keep in mind I was never officially trained. That was a big wake up call for me, especially when the armorer clarified to me that it was a latch that was unlatched and not unlocked like they said. I distinctly remember saying “I said I was sorry, and it won’t happen again. I’ve given you a plan of action to ensure that happens. Why do you keep yelling at me?” only to be told that attitude sucks.

I’m in a better place now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
At school I still go overboard with covering my rear end because of the army.

I’m going to Vancouver tomorrow so I’m missing two days of school. I told my professors every day to the point where one told me to stop bothering him about it. I had the department secretary send an email to all of my professors letting them know I would be gone so I could prove it’s a school related absence, and this was after I sent a similar email to all of my professors.

Today I gave one final reminder to the one who told me to stop bothering him about it, and he asked why I felt the need to remind him so obsessively. None of this was him being a dick about it, he was just annoyed because I was seriously obsessive about it.

I told him a story about how we had a guy go to the hospital one morning for legitimate reasons and was missing PT. I was his team leader. I told the squad leader and the squad leader made him go outside of the hospital and take a selfie with the hospital in the background. And that’s the kind of accountability requirements I’m used to.

My professor said he understands better now, but that’s one of the most ridiculous things he’s ever heard.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Now that I've had a day to stew on it, I'm loving livid. The odds of getting my buddies to all take vacation at the same time and come out here are pretty loving low, but I finally managed it for this Christmas. They could have hosed me out of literally any other block leave period and I would be a little butt hurt but I'd get over it.

I know I bitch a lot in this thread but I don't bitch at all around anyone I work with or for. Pretty much all my venting goes into this thread.

I work hard, long hours and get a lot of poo poo done and just say "roger, I'll figure it out" when given more and more poo poo to do. I never miss work or leave early because of family bullshit like the married guys do. I've never asked for a 4 day pass while everyone else is working.

It's 7 loving days this year I thought were protected because it falls on block leave but instead the Army is just like "Great job Mustang, thanks for the hard work, have this giant steaming turd!"

Sure I get comped block leave at a "date to be determined" but who loving cares? Block leave when all my friends and family are back at work? I'm single so it's not like I have dependents I can drag around.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Now that I've had a day to stew on it, I'm loving livid. The odds of getting my buddies to all take vacation at the same time and come out here are pretty loving low, but I finally managed it for this Christmas. They could have hosed me out of literally any other block leave period and I would be a little butt hurt but I'd get over it.

I know I bitch a lot in this thread but I don't bitch at all around anyone I work with or for. Pretty much all my venting goes into this thread.

I work hard, long hours and get a lot of poo poo done and just say "roger, I'll figure it out" when given more and more poo poo to do. I never miss work or leave early because of family bullshit like the married guys do. I've never asked for a 4 day pass while everyone else is working.

It's 7 loving days this year I thought were protected because it falls on block leave but instead the Army is just like "Great job Mustang, thanks for the hard work, have this giant steaming turd!"

Sure I get comped block leave at a "date to be determined" but who loving cares? Block leave when all my friends and family are back at work? I'm single so it's not like I have dependents I can drag around.

lmao gently caress you for being in the army hahaha you are never going to get comped block leave owned enjoy working over christmas idiot!!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bitch all you want man, we won't complain. You have legit reasons to bitch.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Gimmick account

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mustang posted:

I get comped block leave

Famous last quotes from the Green Weenie.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Dude just go AWOL. Call their bluff. gently caress it right?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Justin Tyme posted:

lmao gently caress you for being in the army hahaha you are never going to get comped block leave owned enjoy working over christmas idiot!!!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I am shocked at all of you. If the Army said he's going to get comped, the Army is as good as their woBWAHAHAHAH

sorry i couldn't keep a straight face

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Mustang here is how comp time will work:

"Maybe after the next XXXXXXXXXXX" *Note this will be anything, PT Test, FTX, Safety Stand down

"Just hold in there maybe next quarter when the OPTEMPO slows down there young LT dont worry I got your back"

CO has change of command ceremony and no one knows what comp time you're talking about and we have to do change of command inventories anyhow

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Mustang here is how comp time will work:

"Maybe after the next XXXXXXXXXXX" *Note this will be anything, PT Test, FTX, Safety Stand down

"Just hold in there maybe next quarter when the OPTEMPO slows down there young LT dont worry I got your back"

CO has change of command ceremony and no one knows what comp time you're talking about and we have to do change of command inventories anyhow

This is literally what happened to at least 3 NCOs I know with their Corps mandated 4 day weekends for reenlisting.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

At school I still go overboard with covering my rear end because of the army.

I’m going to Vancouver tomorrow so I’m missing two days of school. I told my professors every day to the point where one told me to stop bothering him about it. I had the department secretary send an email to all of my professors letting them know I would be gone so I could prove it’s a school related absence, and this was after I sent a similar email to all of my professors.

Today I gave one final reminder to the one who told me to stop bothering him about it, and he asked why I felt the need to remind him so obsessively. None of this was him being a dick about it, he was just annoyed because I was seriously obsessive about it.

I told him a story about how we had a guy go to the hospital one morning for legitimate reasons and was missing PT. I was his team leader. I told the squad leader and the squad leader made him go outside of the hospital and take a selfie with the hospital in the background. And that’s the kind of accountability requirements I’m used to.

My professor said he understands better now, but that’s one of the most ridiculous things he’s ever heard.

I’m used to this too.

Me:”stuck in traffic.”
Them: “bullshit.”
Me: picture
Them: “leave earlier.”

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah dude. There is no regulation for Comp time. Got screwed out of weeks of it.

Leave is a right, not a privilege. You could possibly fight this, but arm yourself with regs.

Unless there is a specific reason YOU PERSONALLY cannot take leave. IE, section reduced to below minimal manning. Im not a lawyer, but this is what JAG explained to me when I was owed a few days of leave that the Army tried to skimp out on.

Block Leave is also specifically there to allow mass leave. I mean, half day schedules are great, and it might work out if your bosses are ok. I had my first duty station where it was “zonk” before I even got my uniform on.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

I’m used to this too.

Me:”something reasonable.”
Them: “bullshit.”
Me: picture of reasonable thing
Them: “hot chocolate, high velocity.”

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Basically everyone else gets block leave except the people on specific red cycle taskings because we’re on red cycle for the second Christmas in a row.

The BDE is also on pacific reaction force duty or whatever so 96 hour recall for guys on block leave.

Looking at next years calendar I don’t know when they would give it to us, there’s tons of poo poo going on.

I’ve also noticed that West Pointers, being the most common type of officer in my unit, are the least likely to be hosed over.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

Basically everyone else gets block leave except the people on specific red cycle taskings because we’re on red cycle for the second Christmas in a row.

The BDE is also on pacific reaction force duty or whatever so 96 hour recall for guys on block leave.

Looking at next years calendar I don’t know when they would give it to us, there’s tons of poo poo going on.

I’ve also noticed that West Pointers, being the most common type of officer in my unit, are the least likely to be hosed over.

Ah, yes. Nepotism.

I’d go talk to your boss and explain the situation. Sometimes they listen. If he says no, go above until you reach BN or whatever. It just takes one person to listen and be like “yeah.” You’ll be hated if they tell you not to though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Good, good...let the hatred flow through you :bisonyes:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not to break up the suckfest, but I have a very strange question.
A soldier forces two Red Cross workers in a marked civilian vehicle, to take an injured local national child (not wounded through action, got hosed up in an accident) to the hospital at gunpoint. Is that a war crime?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

loving around with the Red Cross is one of those things that should never even cross your mind as an option.