Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

kinkouin posted:

I like the "China" is actually Taiwan. :cripes:

Republic of China 1912-1949

War Room looks like a big Ameritrashy mess. If I was still playing Risk with my dormmates in college it looks like the perfect game for that. Now... ehh. I like the circular map, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Hahaha drat.

Given that you bought it, I assume you enjoyed the 1/3rd that you played. What is the actual gameplay like? What's the theme? Like, what's the overall goal you're using the wheel to achieve? Also, does the wheel work smoothly or does it feel flimsy and loose?

Gameplay is fairly streamlined. All the scoring is based on advancement on four tracks, with each track having nine levels that are accessed by spending resources. Each track has its own score multiplier, and there's an additional multiplier for your most and least advanced track. All multipliers start at 0 and can be increased a maximum of four times; however, each time you increase the multiplier of one track you must also reduce the maximum multiplier of another. This works both as a way to attack other players by preventing them boosting their preferred track to huge levels and to force players to think strategically about where they deploy their own resources. Increasing a multiplier also costs knowledge, and the amount it costs increases as the game goes on.

Apart from gathering basic resources there are three main actions, City, Tool and Journey, each of which has a dual role. City lets you spend resources to either buy a new action disc or advance on one of the tracks. Tool lets you upgrade an action disc or convert basic resources into the advanced resources that are needed to advance on the more valuable tracks. Journey lets you travel between islands either to acquire extra resource gathering ships or to build factories that give access to the warehouses which store advanced resources and to gain extra knowledge tokens.

When I played my demo the wheel was pretty loose and action discs could even get lost under it, but that was because the component maker had printed the discs on a sheet of 2mm thickness instead of the specified 3mm. The replacement sheets arrived on Friday and with 3mm discs there are no problems at all.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Has anyone had the chance to try Keyper yet? Curious how it stacks up against Keyflower.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

EBag posted:

Has anyone had the chance to try Keyper yet? Curious how it stacks up against Keyflower.

Same question for Clans of Caledonia - I'll be trying it out this weekend but wondering if anyone else has and how it stacks against Terra Mystica.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's still around, actually...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ohh man gloomhaven US shipped as early as friday

quote:

The first shipment of games has arrived at FunAgain, but Essen Spiel caused some delays on my part in getting the deposit payed, so it looks like fulfillment should officially begin somewhere around Friday. The final shipment to FunAgain, on the Hamburg Bridge, is scheduled to arrive on Nov. 21, and remember that your copy could ship anywhere between Friday and then, so don't panic if you start seeing people celebrating in the US receiving their copies and you haven't received a shipping notification.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Ohh man gloomhaven US shipped as early as friday

Is that for retail as well or just KS copies?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Radioactive Toy posted:

Is that for retail as well or just KS copies?

I think just for KS copies

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Same question for Clans of Caledonia - I'll be trying it out this weekend but wondering if anyone else has and how it stacks against Terra Mystica.

i made another post about it a page or 2 ago - short version is that I feel it doesn't play as similar to TM as it looks, as a substantial chunk of the scoring comes from the portion of the game that's the most different from TM (trade contracts). i think it's more elegant than TM and it looks like it's going to have a lot more variability - TM bugged me in how it had certain Best Plays that didn't really change from game to game or faction to faction like taking that one Earth cult favor tile ASAP, as well as how the round bonuses incentivized everyone to do the same things at the same time. Clans has a lot more points of variability than TM does.

The main point in TM's favor is uniqueness, as Clans is yet another agricultural themed euro and borrows essentially all of its mechanics from other games, even if they're assembled in an elegant way here.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

There is a neighbor "bonus" for Clans that is very different than TM as well, where only the player who places a new building gets any potential benefit, if they can afford it. There seems to be a lot less incentive to build close together, and you actually want to hide your valuable buildings away from others.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yeah, I know, but :can: and it was just in the WW2 period that was necessary for the page/link

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's crazy how many game designers get the Russian flag wrong, I mean this doesn't even look anything like it!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That Germany flag is all wrong, too!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What is the consensus on multiplayer Tash-Kalar? Is it any good or should it be more strictly considered a 2 player game?

I am considering buying every Vlaada game but don't play 2 player competitive games so am wondering if it's worth getting TK.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

MikeCrotch posted:

What is the consensus on multiplayer Tash-Kalar? Is it any good or should it be more strictly considered a 2 player game?

I am considering buying every Vlaada game but don't play 2 player competitive games so am wondering if it's worth getting TK.

It's good but not great. However it has more than enough goodness to last 10-15 plays and how often are you going to play it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For me Tash-Kalar is a two player game, and the only real way to play it is 2P High-form. 3P Deathmatch is decent but I always feel that it's not really the way it is meant to be played. I dislike 4P, both in deathmatch and in high-form. Unfortunately, 2P games don't sell as well as 3-4 player games, hence why the latter were included.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MikeCrotch posted:

4p high form in 2 teams is just as good as regular 2p high form.

3p / 4p death match is ok i guess but nowhere near as good as the high form

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

It's crazy how many game designers get the Russian flag wrong, I mean this doesn't even look anything like it!

Guns of Gettysburg depicted the greys with red blocks, I returned that trash.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Who bought Tsai Ing-wen an account?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 1, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Two things. Anyone else surprised that Amazon doesn't have Pandemic Season 2 being sold from Amazon yet?

Anyone have a good/short video about Gloomhaven I could use to give a brief hype primer video to my friends?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Two things. Anyone else surprised that Amazon doesn't have Pandemic Season 2 being sold from Amazon yet?

Anyone have a good/short video about Gloomhaven I could use to give a brief hype primer video to my friends?

This rules video is pretty dry but I've enjoyed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWMvXT6jCw

Won't necessarily hype anyone up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Last I checked Amazon was selling Season 2. It's sold out now, but it wasn't when I checked last Friday.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

SettingSun posted:

Last I checked Amazon was selling Season 2. It's sold out now, but it wasn't when I checked last Friday.

Oh through non-3rd parties? I've been checking every day pretty much.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Can someone remind me how much Clank! sucks so I don't buy it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kiranamos posted:

Can someone remind me how much Clank! sucks so I don't buy it

It's a single-row market deckbuilder where certain cards are overpowered and if they come out when you've just finished your turn you're hosed. There are multiple roadblocks along the way that can straight-up stymie all progress, forcing you to wait and do jack poo poo while drawing useless cards while your opponents zoom through. You might just get super-hosed and play well until the final turn when you're stuck at the exit but get absolutely no movement cards for three turns straight, before dying and ending up in last place (like my friend did when we played).

It's a neat concept and on paper sounds good, but they didn't do a good job with it.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Morpheus posted:

It's a single-row market deckbuilder ... and on paper sounds good, but they didn't do a good job with it.

this is the universal truth of the single-row market deckbuilder mechanism

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Roll to move is a better system than Clank's lovely movement resource being on cards in a deckbuilder. Imagine playing Talisman but on most turns you don't even get a die to roll. :psyduck:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Is that better at all with the expansion or Space Clank? I enjoy playing Ascension at times knowing it is Objectively Bad, so I wonder if it's manageable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Single market row deckbuilder except you auction off the cards. And uh, do stuff with your deck in between auctions. We could call those “operating rounds” since the deck assumes its operations and you can advance the board state. And the market row is the available stock left until the game ends, so we could call it the “stock round.”

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
What is the distinction between "single market row" and... not that? Like what's the other possible mechanisms for letting players get more cards? Or does "single row" just mean a relatively small number of options?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

What is the distinction between "single market row" and... not that? Like what's the other possible mechanisms for letting players get more cards? Or does "single row" just mean a relatively small number of options?

It means that there is a deck from which cards are drawn to populate a market. Any of the market cards are available for purchase, which introduces and extremely high reliance on luck of the draw to get a good card. This is opposed to Dominion where all the cards in the game are available for purchase at any given time.

For example, if it's your turn and there's nothing good to buy, you might buy a so-so card. The next card drawn is amazing, but you can't buy it because you just spent your cash. The next person, however, can. This sucks and really makes it feel like you had absolutely no control in the game's results.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 1, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Single market row means you’ve got a set of cards in front of you that changes over time - once one person buys the card it goes away and a new card comes out. Games can get really swingy based on luck.

Dunno what the other style is called but in Dominion your market is a fixed number of cards that anyone can buy as many of as they want (or as the market has).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Valley of the Kings has a tiered (or queued?) market row. You can only buy from the bottom but you can manipulate the tier to block other players from buying cards or to buy things faster for yourself. Similarly, through the Ages does the same thing except it uses action points to buy cards further up the queue.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
7 wonders duel has something like that as well, except some of the cards you unlock by buying other cards start off in a face down position. All in all I really dislike single market row games: RNG is alright, but it's just gutting to hesitantly buy a card that's not too awful only to see your opponent get a mindblowingly good one

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Valley of the Kings has a tiered (or queued?) market row. You can only buy from the bottom but you can manipulate the tier to block other players from buying cards or to buy things faster for yourself. Similarly, through the Ages does the same thing except it uses action points to buy cards further up the queue.

VotK also does a sweet thing that I wish more games did in that you have the deck itself divided into different periods of the game itself, so you start with light cards, then medium ones, and then the big heavy ones at the end.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

please knock Mom! posted:

7 wonders duel has something like that as well, except some of the cards you unlock by buying other cards start off in a face down position. All in all I really dislike single market row games: RNG is alright, but it's just gutting to hesitantly buy a card that's not too awful only to see your opponent get a mindblowingly good one

I wonder how 7 Wonders duel would play if you didn’t place anything face down. Anyone tried it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Two alternatives that are universally better but frustratingly rarely used:

Tiered row, as seen in Valley of the Kings and 7 Wonders Duel: cards on the bottom are available. As you grab cards, the ones on top fall down to become available which naturally gates cards and allows players some ability to influence the market.

Inflated/speculative row, as seen in Pax games and Century Spice Road: cards at the beginning of a row are exponentially cheaper than cards at the back of the row. Buying a card further down the row usually entails paying off the earlier cards, thus incentivizing grabbing less useful cards for a higher payout.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

do most market row games not use a pax/tta tiered cost system because that seems the most obvious way to do it

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

StashAugustine posted:

do most market row games not use a pax/tta tiered cost system because that seems the most obvious way to do it

Nope

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Even though Dominion practically created the genre and is probably the best selling deckbuilder, Ascension is very obviously the jumping off point for every game and they're almost universally mediocre at best. Maybe because it's super easy and requires little more than a single deck of cards that go in the center of the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I wonder how 7 Wonders duel would play if you didn’t place anything face down. Anyone tried it?

I've only played a dozen or so Duels but I feel it'd help new players but hurt experienced players. Playing around what the facedown cards might be is as important as playing around what the faceup cards are.