Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still don't like the crank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The crank is the wrong kind of goofy.

The shaking of the bottles is the right kind of goofy.

Both together is just obnoxious every time it happens

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The crank is good and the music/sound effect that plays while kranking is the best part of the transformation

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have no problem with it as part of the transformation, but doing it once he's already in the suit for finishers and swaps is a little anticlimactic.

It also makes some suits like gorilla a problem since the giant oversized mitt is on the same side of his body as the crank. They've done that in the show a grand total of once from what I've seen, and it looked dumb with this great big mutant hand that should by all means break the thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The sound is good, but spinning the crank isn't cool. Combine that with the big CGI machine he has to stand still for and you've got a pretty lame transformation sequence.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is Vortex on actual Build magazine/promo materials? It bothers me since, as far as I can hear, there's no 'cks' on the end of the call-out. It sounds like boruteku - Voltic/Voltech, not borutekkusu - Vortex. They could be intentionally leaving the last part out to make it easier/shorter to say, but that is annoying.

From Build's Detail of Heroes magazine

p.s stardrago :argh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a pretty lovely combination of lovely factors. The Fullbottles and the Build Driver are both really boring to look at, the former aren't even really clear on what they are without forcing your sight and the latter has nothing eye-catching, the crank is really dumb and causes both the transformation and finishers to be slower than they should be (made even slower by the actual transformation footage), and not even the Build Driver's voice is exciting enough to make up for it. Not to mention how Build's theme seems to be "everything we could find", there's no real consistency at all because his powers could come from literally anything.

In contrast, the Transteam Gun at least is catchy even if it has literally two sounds.

The Gamer Driver was gigantic and gaudy but it managed to perfectly get attention, and the Gashats were both really neat to look at and had a fun theme in videogames. Plus, as unfair as comparing to him may be, it had Hironobu Kageyama screaming everything and that's basically unbeatable.

And I feel these Legend Rider forms are worse than the previous ones because at least those tried to meld the old Riders with the current style, as bad as it may look, here it's just literal suit reuse. It's lazy as hell, and basically makes Sento become Tsukasa but without the (nonexisting) story justifying it.

It should be noted that this is literally my only complaint in Build. I love the characters, the world-building, the suits, the plot, I'm enjoying the hell out of this series. But I wouldn't buy any of these toys.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The gashats were fine. The belt was dumb huge but that's because they were dead set on their gimmick of games layering on top of one another for a huge amount of mix n match combos that were never actually used in the show.

The singing/babbling crap was plain unenjoyable to me and I came around here at least three times asking what the hell happened to this franchise since the years of bad CGI and high framerates. I miss "Turn Up" and even kind of miss Ryuki's it-just-happens approach.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Craptacular! posted:

The gashats were fine. The belt was dumb huge but that's because they were dead set on their gimmick of games layering on top of one another for a huge amount of mix n match combos that were never actually used in the show.

The singing/babbling crap was plain unenjoyable to me and I came around here at least three times asking what the hell happened to this franchise since the years of bad CGI and high framerates. I miss "Turn Up" and even kind of miss Ryuki's it-just-happens approach.

I think Ex-Aid was the rare case where every form having a lyrical jingle worked, because they were game title screens. As opposed to, for example, Ghost, where there were just jingles because.

Most of them are kind of unmemorable, which is not great, but I love the Tokimeki Crisis and Maximum Mighty X jingles.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

deadly_pudding posted:

I think Ex-Aid was the rare case where every form having a lyrical jingle worked, because they were game title screens. As opposed to, for example, Ghost, where there were just jingles because.

Most of them are kind of unmemorable, which is not great, but I love the Tokimeki Crisis and Maximum Mighty X jingles.

It made me realize I don't play games that yell at me anymore. I kinda miss that. The noise factor really helped over the top how goofy everything was, I love it.

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 1, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blaze Dragon posted:

I gave up on the Kyurangers utilizing their powers correctly the moment the Gemini Kyutama came out.

1) Can multiply its user an apparently unlimited amount of times.
2) Works on mecha, including combinations.
3) It gets used...very rarely. Despite being ridiculously powerful, by far the single strongest thing in the Kyurangers' arsenal considering there's no reason to believe it wouldn't work on Leo Red Orion thus making him even more ridiculously powerful.

Also there's videos for the W and Ex-Aid Best Matches and the toys are as boring as the actual designs. They didn't even bother recording new lines for them, Ex-Aid reuses "Mighty Jump! Mighty Kick! Mighty, Mighty Action X!" (literally reuses, it's the exact same audio) while W has nothing but the CycloneJoker sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8E_olt8QHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlFwng0guI

The only bad thing of Build is the toys. But goddamn they're bad. Both the Build Driver and Fullbottles are awful and the Legend Rider stuff is this lazy, geez.

Reminder that OOO specifically wrote around the green medals so that Eiji never got all three at once because it was too budget intensive and a win button that he couldn't ignore

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love how in universe they know it's the most powerful form because it can literally be all of the forms.

I remember when his movie came out, people wondered if the movie exclusive form was the reason why all of the OOOs were there because none of us really thought about Green Form's multibody technique.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

From Build's Detail of Heroes magazine

p.s stardrago :argh:

Yep, that's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. It's Vortex, but they explicitly spell the call-out as "voltek/borutekku" so there was no reason to ever guess it was that prior to the magazines. At least it's only one kana off instead of two like I thought. Japanese English!! :argh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe because stirring around liquids forms a vortex? i dunno, it's not like it fits with what his finishers look like.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah it's basically the same thing with blood stalk, idkwtf either

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, the stirring makes sense enough, heck Vortex being a cool word makes sense enough for KR ("Maximum Drive" indeed), I'm just bothered since it isn't written or pronounced how Vortex should be.

Blood Stalk is weird since it's just two unconnected words together, but given that they're almost the same word in Japanese it was a 50/50 shot from the beginning. Although Stark and the Stalk in Stalker are pronounced differently in Japanese so I would have gone with Blood Stark at first too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blood Stalk is an evil guy that stalks around trying to gently caress up Night Rogue's day.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Reminder that OOO specifically wrote around the green medals so that Eiji never got all three at once because it was too budget intensive and a win button that he couldn't ignore

They even acknowledged this in one of the movie tie-in videos!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I like the Build Driver and the crank is the kind of silly detail that makes Kamen Rider so endearing in the first place.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/lespros_tetsuya/status/919560727056150528

:love:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dunno if this is known yet or not, but we have subs for the Korean Kyoryuger sequel.

https://twitter.com/shushuttoscrubs/status/925894609682817024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexie posted:

Dunno if this is known yet or not, but we have subs for the Korean Kyoryuger sequel.

https://twitter.com/shushuttoscrubs/status/925894609682817024

Judging by the name of the group, I'm assuming this is just a scrub of the existing TVN subs. That aside, are they any good?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tetsuya is either the most interesting man in Japan or he has a dedicated english language wing on his PR team. Judging by his wikipedia entry.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

coconono posted:

Tetsuya is either the most interesting man in Japan or he has a dedicated english language wing on his PR team. Judging by his wikipedia entry.

I'll take a guess here and say that he wasn't chosen to play Neo Dan Kuroto God for nothing, dude's basically a perfect human being already, and that's the least one can expect from the actor of our God and Game Master.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Blood Stalk is weird since it's just two unconnected words together, but given that they're almost the same word in Japanese it was a 50/50 shot from the beginning. Although Stark and the Stalk in Stalker are pronounced differently in Japanese so I would have gone with Blood Stark at first too.

The worst example of these is one that hasn't even appeared in the series yet. クローズ, people originally thought it was "Close", but since he's dragon-themed, the fan romanization became "Claws". And then it was revealed to be...Cross-Z, which is basically nonsense.

Talking about that, we have evidence of said Rider in-game in Ganbarizing! In full spoiler-protection mode, he has no lines, not even from his belt, and his moves are completely generic punches and kicks. Sticking to that, I'll just link to it instead of embedding it. There's also footage of the Legend Rider forms but they just reuse models and animations from the actual Riders with badly-inserted Sento lines on top of them.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 2, 2017

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

The worst example of these is one that hasn't even appeared in the series yet. クローズ, people originally thought it was "Close", but since he's dragon-themed, the fan romanization became "Claws". And then it was revealed to be...Cross-Z, which is basically nonsense.

Nah, Vortex and Stalk are worse. At least with Cross-Z I can just pretend the Z is silent :v:

or that it's just Crossz, yknow like Greeed

Ignis fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 2, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about that, we have evidence of said Rider in-game in Ganbarizing! In full spoiler-protection mode, he has no lines, not even from his belt, and his moves are completely generic punches and kicks. Sticking to that, I'll just link to it instead of embedding it. There's also footage of the Legend Rider forms but they just reuse models and animations from the actual Riders with badly-inserted Sento lines on top of them.

I'd forgotten to complain about that one. Someone needs to tell these guys that you can't select existing English words and then pronounce them however you want. Stylizing (OOO - Ouzu, 555/Phi - > Faiz) is one thing, but these two (and in particularly the spoilered one because jesus that is not how you pronounce that in either language) are just flagrantly disregarding their own word choices. >:[

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Build Driver isn't the coolest way to transform but the trash compactor driver from those toy previews looks really fun. I like the logic behind it, too, because the villain suit from that preview had a cracked bottle motif. There's probably gonna be some sort of "we need to squeeze the fullbottle to extract more power, but it's dangerous" episode, and then the solution is just foil packaging and a little trash compactor belt.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not to mention how Build's theme seems to be "everything we could find", there's no real consistency at all because his powers could come from literally anything.

I love this and I don't think I'd enjoy the show nearly so much if it didn't have a vacuum cleaner + lion superhero presented with a completely straight face.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Red Bones posted:

the trash compactor driver from those toy previews
Link?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, the crank was completely worth it just so that the new belt could have a wrench handle.

Red Bones posted:

I love this and I don't think I'd enjoy the show nearly so much if it didn't have a vacuum cleaner + lion superhero presented with a completely straight face.
Kind of reminds me of the Astro Switches and how wonderfully bizarre some of them were, since they had to make forty of the bastards.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the theme generally seems to be animals and technology except when it's not, like NinjaComic.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the theme generally seems to be animals and technology except when it's not, like NinjaComic.

Explain to me how a ninja is not an animal :colbert:

...makes me wish W had done a joke episode about somebody with the HUMAN BEING memory.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I swear I can't keep track of Build's themes.

Rabbit! Tank! Hagane no Moonsault! RabbitTank!
Gorilla! Diamond! Kagayaki no Destroyer! GorillaMond!

Okay, got it, English names and Forms followed by a half Japanese half English call out. I can get behind that!

Taka! Gatling! HawkGatling!

Okay, maybe the bottles are in Japanese sometimes but the forms are still English, how about that half and half call out-

TENKUU NO ABARENBOU!

Okay I guess I'll go gently caress myself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Explain to me how a ninja is not an animal :colbert:

I mean

Technically it's an animal and a man made thing.

Maybe Build has surpassed our concept of themes or gimmicks and is just a good show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is Build as batshit as Ex-Aid?

I really gotta get a list of poo poo I wanna see. so much toku, so little life.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

coconono posted:

I'd say it's less batshit by a significant margin. This has pros and cons. It's more of a traditional superhero story, which is nice in a way, but also it makes the parts that are batshit really, really stand out. Like, the comic relief seems really out of place sometimes, plus Sento's Driver shouting YEAH while he just fuckin destroys robot cops.

Overall, I like it so far. But it's a work that feels at conflict with itself, compared to the 100% insane Ex-Aid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Build has some of the most paper-thin "oh they were just robots" justification for murdering people I've ever seen, since they're literally dressed exactly the same as the actual soldiers, except they have robot helmets on.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

PMush Perfect posted:

Build has some of the most paper-thin "oh they were just robots" justification for murdering people I've ever seen, since they're literally dressed exactly the same as the actual soldiers, except they have robot helmets on.

I'd argue that the Foot Clan still has the worst "they're just robots"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean

Technically it's an animal and a man made thing.

Maybe Build has surpassed our concept of themes or gimmicks and is just a good show.

It's Organic + Inorganic. It's mostly animals for the Organic components, but there's also the Ninja and Pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

coconono posted:

The story is more like a brighter, goofier version of something like the first season of The Flash except if Barry was a vigilante.

It’s still a toy focused henshin show in the age of affordable CGI, so you end up with stupid moments like an evil rider lurking in stealth while using his henshin that includes CGI fireworks (including that screaming sound).