Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I mean, I have an ABG too so I totally get why someone would buy one. They "make sense" practically on paper but there's a reason upright basses are so big. I got it to leave at a band's house for all-acoustic practices (two acoustic guitars and three singers) and I'd end up getting hand cramps from having to pound so hard to be heard.

Bow or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Accidentally "won" an auction on shopgoodwill for an Epiphone EB-0. Put in a lowball bid and forget about it until I got an email saying congratulations.
From the pictures one of the pots is slightly damaged maybe that scared everyone else off?
Pix incoming when it arrives.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dyna Soar posted:

bass fitness is a good book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDWgtB_MD24

Witness the fitness.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Accidentally "won" an auction on shopgoodwill for an Epiphone EB-0. Put in a lowball bid and forget about it until I got an email saying congratulations.
From the pictures one of the pots is slightly damaged maybe that scared everyone else off?

Brush up your reggae chops!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Thumposaurus posted:

Overall, IMO, a dogshit bass, but definitely get a Hipshot SuperTone bridge for it so you can actually intonate and set up the loving thing.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
We've got a gig tonight. Going with a 4x10 setup rather than my half century old 1x15 bottom driver.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wish i could afford one of those amps, they're a ridiculous price down here.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Unnnf, that's a sexy setup.

I finally painted the enclosure for my Brassmaster kit, hopefully I can lacquer it and do more soldering tomorrow. It's going to replace the bass muff in this setup... unless I just keep expanding the collection. I'm slowly approaching Thorpe levels of effects (only 40 more pedals to go until I catch up)

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

The Science Goy posted:

Unnnf, that's a sexy setup.

I finally painted the enclosure for my Brassmaster kit, hopefully I can lacquer it and do more soldering tomorrow. It's going to replace the bass muff in this setup... unless I just keep expanding the collection. I'm slowly approaching Thorpe levels of effects (only 40 more pedals to go until I catch up)

Hey! Ive downsized like 2 pedals since then! Mega jealous of your moog pedal. Get all the pedals.

Here's my current layout. Making some wood sides so I can mount input/output/exp plugs and the power plug permanently.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Why the H9 *and* every single big format Strymon pedal?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Why the H9 *and* every single big format Strymon pedal?

I like the algorithms on both (blackhole is my favorite verb ever) but I like running either multiple verbs or the pitch shifter into another verb, or multiple modulations in a row, but ultimately I could probably get by for the most part without the big sky if I really wanted to. I am a gear whore though.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Dear lord...

If you want an absolutely brutal bass fuzz, look no further than a Brassmaster clone. Holy poo poo.

I still have to finish up the enclosure and install the switch/LED/stuff everything else inside, but the initial test was successful. This thing will be a lot of fun.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
help me, bass thread that I don't visit:

I play guitar. I want a bass for recording basic bass lines on demos and the like going DI, probably to AmpliTube or something like that. Probably making some sort of ambient or black metal thing.

So.... what do I get? Used J bass? Some Ibanez thing? Something else? halp i don't know about basses

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Squier Vintage Modified PJ.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
was thinking about something like this, but I also think I like the width of J necks more than P necks. or is that because I'm used to little baby guitar necks and going to pass as I play bass a little more?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Get a Squier VM70s Jazz Bass. I have one. I sold my super expensive EBMM Bongo Bass because I liked the Squier more.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Professor Science posted:

was thinking about something like this, but I also think I like the width of J necks more than P necks. or is that because I'm used to little baby guitar necks and going to pass as I play bass a little more?

That'll pass pretty quick, but if it really bothers you a bunch of the cheaper ibanez basses have pretty slim necks.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 9, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I just got my deposit in on Stambaugh #4. Singlecut six string. Ash neck, walnut body with alder tone block, redwood* top, Richlite** fingerboard, Nordstrand dual blade pickups and preamp. Going to be rad.

* I'm super excited about the redwood I got to use here. It's old-growth, salvaged sinker redwood, felled in the mid 1800's and pulled up from the bottom of a river in Mendocino county. It's my first bass I've commissioned since moving to California, so using something that has real California history is super rad to me.

** I've committed myself to only using domestic woods going forward, but this bass needed an ebony fingerboard in order to pull everything together. I was struggling to find an alternative until I tried out a Martin with a Richlite fingerboard and absolutely couldn't tell the difference between it and a great ebony board. It'll be Chris' first time using it in a fingerboard but he's used it in bridges before. Should be interesting!

I think as an only bass to have for recording PJ works better than a Jazz, but if you know you like the J neck better then go with that. The Squier VM's are the best thing at that price point for sure.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Man, I wish I would have went with Stambaugh when I was ordering my custom 10 string. I went with Prat basses and it hasn’t been great so far. I’m about ready to ask for my deposit back. Maybe I’ll hit him up if I get out of this ordeal.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I just got my deposit in on Stambaugh #4. Singlecut six string. Ash neck, walnut body with alder tone block, redwood* top, Richlite** fingerboard, Nordstrand dual blade pickups and preamp. Going to be rad.

That's gonna be a pretty sweet bass! The redwood source is ridiculously cool.

I've never heard of Richlite, but I get the desire for ebony fingerboards. My upright and 2 of my 3 electrics have ebony, and I definitely prefer it. Of course one of them isn't typical ebony...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I have the CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass for the thinnest production Fender Jazz neck :shepspends:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

P/J basses started life as the Precision Bass Special, which was a P-bass body, a J-bass neck, and a pickup from each. So, that P-J bass they're talking about should have the neck width of a J-bass, because it'll be a J-bass neck.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

tarlibone posted:

P/J basses started life as the Precision Bass Special, which was a P-bass body, a J-bass neck, and a pickup from each. So, that P-J bass they're talking about should have the neck width of a J-bass, because it'll be a J-bass neck.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassPJ3TS is 1.625" at the nut, which seems to be a P bass neck, right? isn't a J bass 1.5"?

(I'm probably being pedantic at this point, I'm pretty sure that if I play a bass for more than 20 minutes I'm not going to care too much about the neck width)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassPJ3TS is 1.625" at the nut, which seems to be a P bass neck, right? isn't a J bass 1.5"?

(I'm probably being pedantic at this point, I'm pretty sure that if I play a bass for more than 20 minutes I'm not going to care too much about the neck width)

Wow. Looks like this is just a P-bass with an extra pickup. That's new. I think the Fender ones still have necks with J-bass width at the nut, but now I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I play both. It makes almost no difference. The P-J is a pretty versatile instrument.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

There have been several Fender PJs that had a Jazz profile neck. Last year I was looking pretty hard for a good deal on one and put several on my local radar. Like the Jazz Bass Special. Deluxe P Bass Special. I think the older MIJ Precision Deluxe. There's a flavor a jag that's PJ.

The Precision Lyte might be the same as the old (great) CIJ Geddy Lee.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

tarlibone posted:

Wow. Looks like this is just a P-bass with an extra pickup. That's new. I think the Fender ones still have necks with J-bass width at the nut, but now I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I play both. It makes almost no difference. The P-J is a pretty versatile instrument.

I also play both and barely notice the difference. The only time I do notice a difference is when I play one of the really old style P-basses with the 1.75" nuts and that's only for the first few minutes or so.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Squier PJ is definitely a P neck but it's about as slim as one gets. I find it pretty comfortable, although if I end up replacing the neck for something nicer I'd probably still go for a J-width neck.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Neck width seems important, but you need to get your hands on it to know if it'll be a big deal for you. I went from a 4-string Jazz (38mm) to a 5-string Precision (47mm) and didn't really notice much difference.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Definitely. I'm a little more tripped up by wide string spacings than an overall wide nut. I can play a sixer with tight Ibanez/Warwick spacing easier than a fiver with wide spacing.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Fingerboard radius makes a difference too. My Dingwall has a slightly thicker and wider neck than I normally prefer, but the compound radius feels really comfortable.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Beginner question: is there an exercise or something that I can do at work with my fingering hand to build strength and dex? I'm only four days in and have downtime at work but no bass at the office, might as well use the time productively if I can.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MJP posted:

Beginner question: is there an exercise or something that I can do at work with my fingering hand to build strength and dex? I'm only four days in and have downtime at work but no bass at the office, might as well use the time productively if I can.

Grip strength doesn’t honestly matter to playing instruments unless you have a medical issue. The strength you need is best build naturally while playing. What I would suggest doing is keeping a pair of broccoli bands/rubber bands/etc and do little sets of opening your hands against them while they’re wrapped around your fingers. Hopefully that makes sense, it’s hard to explain. Working out your extensors can do wonders for dexterity and playing comfort. Your hands get enough work holding onto things and closing as is.

Also you’re overthinking things a bit I think. You’re not going to get better at bass at this point while away from the instrument. It’s an easy beginner trap to fall into, the whole hand dexterity and so on market. Focus on what you’re doing away from playing and then focus 100% on practice when you get a chance. After you get some experience you can start working on visualization practice, seeing the notes on the fretboard in your head, imagining melodies and trying to figure out the notes, things like that. It works but it’s not very useful until you’re at the intermediate level.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Raw strength isn't nearly as important as looseness, anyway. Learning to play without tension is soooo much more valuable in the long run. And that's as much a mental exercise as it is physical.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Actually if you're going to do music stuff away from an instrument at all, the best use of your time would be to visualize the fretboard and all the notes on them. And once you've done that, try to do the same but with chords.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

something that belongs in the stupid music gear thread

Yeah someone sent me that this morning. $2500 sounds like a bargain. Buy two.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats one ugly rear end bass

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Basses are almost universally ugly. :shrug:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Basses are almost universally ugly. :shrug:

i disagree, classic fender and gibson models are mostly nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The headstock and pickups are really garish. I bet it has some major neck-dive.