Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's the look of the thing; it kills the atmosphere if they don't react in any way to your presence, even just pointing or looking like they're readying for combat, and there's a few spots where you can spend a good five to ten seconds just hopping past them while they stand there the whole time not even pretending to be anything other than convenient homing targets. It's exactly those kind of details, or lack thereof, that make Forces feel more hollow than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, yes, having them react to your presence makes sense even if it's just running away in fear for a split second before they're blown away by your boost area of effect whirlwind thing. I'm just saying, there were people itt earlier wishing that enemies would attack you and stuff (presumably outside of the 2D sections or classic sonic) and it's like ??? do you know what game this is??

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Sonic Forces got a 35 out of 40 in Famitsu, game was good all along

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's like a -2/5 in actual review numbers.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
even more proof modern rooftop run is the best stage in sonic's history because of the robots at the end that strike bodybuilder poses

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Sonic Forces got a 35 out of 40 in Famitsu, game was good all along

Well we now know Forces is better than Mania, a measly 32/40 game. Still, I wish it was as good as the 36/40 Lost World.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When did famitsu scores stop meaning anything, because I still remember when only like, three games ever had gotten a 40/40

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CJacobs posted:

Well, yes, having them react to your presence makes sense even if it's just running away in fear for a split second before they're blown away by your boost area of effect whirlwind thing. I'm just saying, there were people itt earlier wishing that enemies would attack you and stuff (presumably outside of the 2D sections or classic sonic) and it's like ??? do you know what game this is??

I think it's cool when enemies progressively get more threatening and make the player have to think more. It adds to the overall feeling of the games progression both in terms of story and in terms of gameplay challenge. It's nice that you can deal with something easy like the buzzers while accommodating to the Sonic 2, but then later on you get something tricky like the Slicers that keeps you continuously involved in the game.

What I'm really saying is, Metropolis Zone did nothing wrong :colbert:

For the actual Modern 3D segments, yeah the gameplay most usually doesn't involve long segments in one place, but on the 2D modern side it's not uncommon for there to be some slower isolated segments that theoretically could use trickier enemies. Sonic Colors had a lot of slower segments like this, and the Rush games had a little more variety in enemy types to deal with than what we've seen in the recent console boost games. Exploring ideas like this could be another cool way to add variety to these games which, imo, are feeling kinda samey lately.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There are plenty of enemies that attack in the modern sections, though there's not much variety.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

CJacobs posted:

I don't really get why people want the enemies to do things besides stand around and wait to be killed in this kind of game. Have you ever actually had an enemy on screen for more than one or two seconds? Would you really want to have to slow down and kill them?

That's how we got Sonic Heroes. :v:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Sonic Adventure 3 is good though so who cares about Forces.

https://twitter.com/keiyakins/status/925434857412378626

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i always thought in boost games you should have fodder enemies that feel good to smack as you run, and then you could do proper enemies in 2 ways:

do it like the robot at the end of roof top run where you have to dodge attacks and things

or you could do another auto run segment that turns top down, where your analog stick fully controls sonic 360 degrees while he auto runs- I'm imagining like geometry wars or something where you have to dodge bullets and boost into the back

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I don't really get why people want the enemies to do things besides stand around and wait to be killed in this kind of game. Have you ever actually had an enemy on screen for more than one or two seconds? Would you really want to have to slow down and kill them?

depends on your definition of "these kinds of games"
if we're talking a platformer, yes there should be enemies that serve as obstacles
if we're talking about an endless runner without the endless part, yeah sure just have stationary bots to smash through effortlessly, why not

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

While I don't personally mind the Modern gameplay switching to 2D for segments, it does feel very superfluous when Classic is already a part of the game's core modes. It makes it seems like they have no real confidence in how Modern Sonic plays and just toss in 2D bits as filler.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Keiya posted:

Sonic Adventure 3 is good though so who cares about Forces.

https://twitter.com/keiyakins/status/925434857412378626

Things really went downhill for Steve Bannon after he got kicked out of the WH

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I realize this is almost 20 years off from being actually relevant, but I've been working on a thing that I think this thread might appreciate. Enjoy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nlP5lhLvQ

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Why did you make that

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Skeletome posted:

Why did you make that

They made a vow, Skeletome.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 1, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lizard Wizard posted:

I realize this is almost 20 years off from being actually relevant, but I've been working on a thing that I think this thread might appreciate. Enjoy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nlP5lhLvQ

I have never watched Sonic Underground, but I can already tell that this is the ideal method of viewing that show.

Will you do other episodes?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I have never watched Sonic Underground, but I can already tell that this is the ideal method of viewing that show.

Will you do other episodes?

I'll answer your question with a question: would you believe the entire series cost only $32?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe there's no sonic underground game

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

I can't believe there's no sonic underground game
I'm pretty sure I own a TIGER electronics game based on this piece of poo poo, somewhere.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'll answer your question with a question: would you believe the entire series cost only $32?

No way it would be that expensive.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's a better value than the new Bubsy.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey, I wanted to get all the emeralds in Sonic Mania before Forces comes out. Any advice for getting to and subsequently playing the emerald special stages?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just hunt around for giant rings and get in some practice. If you've cleared the game and can select a stage, there's one close to the start of Press Garden Act 1 (right for a short time, then down as soon as you can then head left) and the start of Studiopolis Act 1 (right for a short time, then when the two sloped paths cross each other in an x shape, get on the path that takes you down and left).

In the special stages, you can get the emeralds at mach two, so don't get too wrapped up in hitting mach three. Just keep grabbing rings to keep your time up and you'll get them soon enough.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
My six year old nephew recently visited me, and he's got into Sonic. He's been watching a whole bunch of the cartoons, and spent some time talking to me about all the different characters - There's Sonic, and Tails, and Knuckles, and Eggman, and Sticks, and Manic, and Sonia...

... at which point I looked at his father and raised an accusing eyebrow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Screaming Idiot posted:

they cant reprint it because ken penders owns the rights

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This guy's album came up in my suggested music today. It's an album called "Gotta go Slow" by Ace Waters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuwk6XRf-IQ

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

geri_khan posted:

My six year old nephew recently visited me, and he's got into Sonic. He's been watching a whole bunch of the cartoons, and spent some time talking to me about all the different characters - There's Sonic, and Tails, and Knuckles, and Eggman, and Sticks, and Manic, and Sonia...

... at which point I looked at his father and raised an accusing eyebrow.

Shame on that father for not teaching his kid about Shadow

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dehry posted:

This guy's album came up in my suggested music today. It's an album called "Gotta go Slow" by Ace Waters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuwk6XRf-IQ
This sort of rules. This greenhill one is great too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N75IRVUsG4

Although it does remind of this old video of the Sonic Heroes Special stage theme slowed down but otherwise unedited to sound exactly like Vapourwave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULoaumV9Ec

Edit: fuuuuck how did I miss this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJsHNCxJaC0

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 2, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
^^^ That sax solo in Sonic heroes tho

Wow, the Live and Learn cover is really sad :smith: I do wish he got a different singer like the other songs though. The Sandopolis remix is also rad with how dark it is

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mikedawson posted:

Hey, I wanted to get all the emeralds in Sonic Mania before Forces comes out. Any advice for getting to and subsequently playing the emerald special stages?

You turn sharper when jumping, aim for rings first, item boxes have a generous enough hitbox, only take the long path once to get the goodies.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like this song from Lost World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKJFWmoqXE

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Calaveron posted:

When did famitsu scores stop meaning anything, because I still remember when only like, three games ever had gotten a 40/40

When Windwaker got a 40/40.

I love Windwaker but come on man.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

finally Augus, something we agree on

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mycot posted:

No YOU come on man

I mean if you're seriously gonna knock on 'em do it for FFXIII-2 or Skyward Sword

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Not a Children posted:

No YOU come on man

I mean if you're seriously gonna knock on 'em do it for FFXIII-2 or Skyward Sword

Those came later so it wouldn't be the tipping point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mycot posted:

While everyone knew it was declining, I usually point to Nintendogs as being the decisive pivot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

mods?