Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
They also can't occupy any settlements without first being invited in.

edit: this was definitely worthy of the top of the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

peer posted:

They also can't occupy any settlements without first being invited in.

edit: this was definitely worthy of the top of the page

You have to invest quite heavily in land bridge development and diplomacy so they invite you over before you invade but god drat it pays off!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Its not corruption if everyone is doing it!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I published my cheat mod that makes the game 100x better.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1187659730

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys build armies tailor made to counter the race you are sending them against when playing the campaign? Just curious really. I've always made one "THIS SHOULD BEAT ALL" army template.

It's generally not a great idea to try to get too specific with armies you build in campaign if only because reforming them to fight a new faction is time and cash intensive and you never know when you're going to ride into a surprise Beastmen horde or Surtha Ek Stunt Show. It's not a bad idea to tweak things a bit if you have the luxury of doing so and know exactly what you're up against, but all-rounders armies are just often the best choice strategically.

There's also always a chance that the AI will build an army so stupid that they accidentally counter-pick your attempt to counter-pick them

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
How do you guys deal with AOE spells of enemy lords? I'm playing as maliketh on easy and in some battles there's a dude who shoots green lightning from the sky that destroys my army

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
You can dodge them mostly. There is typically a glowy effect before the spell actually goes off.

e: Be mindful when forming up your army and unit ranks also. Square blocks of troops are often better in combat, but longer/thinner ranks are good for avoiding missile fire and blocking choke points.

Beer Hall Putz fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 1, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
they can't do it very often. also, there's a warning, sometimes.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I don't suppose there's a mod that consolidates the brothers elf, or just gives one knowledge of the other for a forced early confederation?

I wouldn't mind trying to juggle both the home and away theatres.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So in this VC game everything south of Karaz-a-Karak is dwarven aside from a few holdouts of Kroq'gar. As soon as Chaos showed up in force the Dark Elves went ahead and conquered Norsca. The Empire focused on resettling territory lost to Chaos rather than fighting them and so I pounced on them and they're now out of territory entirely, with just Gelt running away. Kislev is still alive and kicking, though I'll be fixing that soon. Everything west of Middenheim in the old world is hippy forest elven bullshit, with the exception of a large chunk of Bretonnia which Mousillon conquered (and then I confederated).

Chaos is still roaming around somewhere, but they're not really a credible threat. The doomstacks actually engage someone other than the player with this mod, so they've been picked apart, and Archaon got chumped as is usual for him. There's a half stack of spiky edgelords wandering around somewhere, brooding.

The dwarves really are the biggest threat to the world at this point. Their territory is obscenely huge, and even when they were faced with multiple opponents across multiple fronts the game still favors them. If/when they decide to try to murder me, I'm sure to drown in a pile of bearded midgets.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Archaeology Hat posted:

It's this and also they are worse/better in combat slighty.

Sun dragons are weakest in combat (still pretty strong) and have anti-infantry breath weapons which are good against lots of bunched up dudes. Star dragons have the strongest combat stats and have breath weapons that destroy small/individual model elite units. Moon dragons are sort of in the middle.

That's the theory and i guess it's kinda true but i've had great success in using Star Dragon Breath on clumps. It just obliterates everything.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Haha, I only now noticed that Great Turtle Isle doesn't get a special garrison. Good bye star dragon, I hardly knew you.
And I still haven't been able to confirm that Teclis' on cast effects actually prop.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Helion posted:

I can’t speak for the Dwarves, but so far I am literally encountering smoking ruins and fragmented empires. Even if it is, do they know what to do with their power? Or do they just throw armies at you piecemeal, never attacking your home base, basically lambs to the slaughter?

They will bee swarm you if you make an aggressive move(fighting a Chaos Doom Tide swarm except they're dwarfs is certainly interesting), but the situations I've dealt with it have consisted of me invading them rather than them invading me, so they spend all their resources trying to stop me instead of invading me.

sassassin posted:

These are pretty much the kinds of changes I'd like to see for everyone, well done.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

I'd be interested in seeing you expand this to all the factions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
In my chaos campaign a rogue stack of chaos, orcs vampires and skaven have already destroyed most of the old world on turn 60. It's like I've rocked up to a party four hours late and everyone's shitfaced and all the furniture is broken. Hey so ah, any more of that evil left? Nah man we already did all the evil, sorry.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I really just want a mod similar to radious where beastmen become self sufficient after awhile. Some buildings give money, some give replenishment. That way you are not dependent on moon phases but they are still a bonus.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

You're supposed to troll this thread, not post a good mod, I'm confused. But for real, echoing that I'd like to try a mod like this that worked for all factions (and the AI). Cool mod though for a HE playthough at least, I still need to try one.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Ynglaur posted:

Where did you initially expand? I'm still in the first province.

Take the starter army and just underway go to 8 Peaks. If you can avoid the main greenskins you only fight the mutinous gits and can slip through and siege them out.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

That's the theory and i guess it's kinda true but i've had great success in using Star Dragon Breath on clumps. It just obliterates everything.

I agree, Star dragons can be used to just delete an elite unit if it gets clumped up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

You're supposed to troll this thread, not post a good mod, I'm confused. But for real, echoing that I'd like to try a mod like this that worked for all factions (and the AI). Cool mod though for a HE playthough at least, I still need to try one.

The mod works for the ai currently, but I don't know enough about how it decides what to recruit etc. to know if it makes the ai Helves more or less successful.

Probably less as garrisons are generally weaker.

I'm more likely to bloat it with stuff like making militia cheaper to recruit but much higher upkeep (since you're taking them away from their trades), and making White Lions better to match the tabletop and their now fellow tier 3 infantry choices than I am to expand it to factions I don't play or know much about.

Plus there's a whole bunch of special settlement types (occupied landmarks, norsca outposts) that I didn't touch due to the sheer volume of variations in the files. Individualising the Phoenix, Griffon, Unicorn and Eagle gates like it mentions in the army books might be worth doing, they seem to be separate entries in the files (with reams of alternates for untainted, skaven, vampire garrisons etc.)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So is the only sound file Teklis uses just "Teklis" over and over like some sort of broken loving pokemon?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

tithin posted:

So is the only sound file Teklis uses just "Teklis" over and over like some sort of broken loving pokemon?

Warhammer magic messes you up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tithin posted:

I had a hard time with the Malekith campaign because the dude just sat on the map going RARRRR RARRRR RARRRR constantly and I was like will you shut the gently caress up.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Did mods stop working for anyone else?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

I had a hard time with the Malekith campaign because the dude just sat on the map going RARRRR RARRRR RARRRR constantly and I was like will you shut the gently caress up.

When you give a rat warlord his chadrat mount it incessantly stomps the campaign map, super annoying. Now imagine if that big bell actually made noise like some dummies want

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I found Malekith did the rarrr rarrr thing only when I had him raiding. I’m sure it’s just a bug. I hope it’s just a bug?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He did it all the time for me. Yelling at the sky forever. Bursting with impotent rage.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Helion posted:

I found Malekith did the rarrr rarrr thing only when I had him raiding. I’m sure it’s just a bug. I hope it’s just a bug?

He did it to me when I put him in ambush mode. For some reason that ambush failed, can't imagine why with a dude screaming at the top of his lungs every second.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Ammanas posted:

When you give a rat warlord his chadrat mount it incessantly stomps the campaign map, super annoying. Now imagine if that big bell actually made noise like some dummies want

The bells do make noise though. Both on the campaign map and the battle.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
The bells and rat ogres also continue to make noise when you fast forward on the campaign map with expected results

CULTURES CLASH *bong**whump**bong*-*ong*-*ump*-*ong*

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The bells do make noise though. Both on the campaign map and the battle.

Yes it's an empty thonk sound instead of a tolling bell though.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

JBP posted:

He did it all the time for me. Yelling at the sky forever. Bursting with impotent rage.

I mostly remember Malekith grumbling about the snow. Maybe all the dark elves ever needed was a nice vacation somewhere warm.

The bells make such a weedy noise, need to strap a few slaves onto the clapper so it can live up to its name.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
So when Norsca show up they're going to rebreak MP right? Any faction without decent skirmish get rolled by mammoths, which is a shame because mp is actually balanced atm

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
What's the 'Chaos invasion fix' mod of choice right now? I've been using the one that simply stops it from happening, but I heard there are better ones now that allow the event to unfold somewhat normally?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Drunk in Space posted:

What's the 'Chaos invasion fix' mod of choice right now? I've been using the one that simply stops it from happening, but I heard there are better ones now that allow the event to unfold somewhat normally?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1184400029&searchtext=

This is the one I'm using and it works just fine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm starting to see why people have issues with some of the overhaul mods. I wish they were more modular with some kind of special menu on the loading screen breaking down the mods into the following categories:

Units
Lord/Hero Skills
Research
Skins
Maps

So an overhaul mod itself could get 'taken apart' so that you could keep some things, leave others stock, and change other things with a second or third mod. Since none of the mods would have conflicting maps/skills/units they could all dovetail together.

The reason I want this is because personally I like most of the changes SFO makes, however while it now covers the new races I'm not sure if they went back and updated or modified any of the original Lord skills. The foundation update made some good changes to Lords, and I could definitely see a mod that kept some of the better ideas but added its own flavor, particularly to take into account Heroes/Lords can now reach level 40.

My ultimate goal would be to have SFO for changes to units and new generic lords, one of the newer mods for the actual Lord and Hero skills, Brutal Battles and GCCM map pack. Right now the latter two (generally) work well together, as Brutal Battles helps with pathing for unique maps. I know SFO will work with them, but I want more updated skill and research trees.

One final note: It is much more flexible from a player perspective to find some way to classify units in more general categories (not sure if this already happens). So for example a Lord skill that gives all Halberd units some bonus would not just affect Halberdiers, it would also affect Halberd Demigriffs and Emperor's Foot units.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

drans posted:

So when Norsca show up they're going to rebreak MP right? Any faction without decent skirmish get rolled by mammoths, which is a shame because mp is actually balanced atm

speaking of mammoths, how do you kill kroqgar on a trex other than lots of guns

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme

StashAugustine posted:

speaking of mammoths, how do you kill kroqgar on a trex other than lots of guns

Blood knights

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

drans posted:

I'm honestly more worried about their massive amounts anti-large, do you just not take monsters against norsca?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I play dwarfs in mp and always have a unit of long guns pointed at my own arty waiting for skaven clanrat or flyer bullshit. I can them the windscreen wipers.

Against Norsca I basically bank on cannons killing anything bigger than a human before it hits the line.