Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I really wish we played Miami every year. It's dumb that we don't.

I promise, most of us don't want to play FAU or U-La-La.

If Miami was a public school, the state would have already "hinted" that it would be in the best interest of both schools to play every year, same as they did when UF didn't wanna play FSU back in the day.

And now we're the Gators number one rivals! Well, some older fans still have a hate on for Georgia, but people my age (born in 79), tend to view that as the Gators secondary rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

fixed it

the other two are miami and the new la stadium

Holy poo poo, that's Joe Robbie Stadium Pro Player Stadium Dolphin Stadium Land Shark Stadium Sun Life Stadium where the Miami Dolphins play?! I didn't know they remodeled it.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Mahoning posted:

Holy poo poo, that's Joe Robbie Stadium Pro Player Stadium Dolphin Stadium Land Shark Stadium Sun Life Stadium where the Miami Dolphins play?! I didn't know they remodeled it.

It's actually a top-tier stadium (except for how bad the field is). It's loud, there's good food (but pricy), and you can drink in it. Parking has become super easy as well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Notre Dame is super fun this year and, ignoring the front-running assholes in their fan base, I hope they beat UGA and Bama in the playoffs.

:colbert:

Notre Dame is run by a murderer.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Notre Dame is run by a murderer.

Murder is a little strong.

Manslaughter is closer but still wrong. Somewhat negligent red-faced rear end in a top hat is closest. I'm not a judge.

Having said that, ND is fun to watch and gently caress Bama and furthermore gently caress UGA.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Counterpoint: gently caress ND

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
gently caress Notre Dame always and forever amen

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Playoff consisting of Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Penn State

who do you root for

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/925740121722441728

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

who do you root for

Roll Tide.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

KKKLIP ART posted:

What do y’all run to make these here fancy moon polls

For the one I posted I'm just doing some math with php and storing the results in a mysql database.

I don't have any access to data so I by hand enter the result of every single game (I've tried automating it but haven't found a consistent source I was able to get enough results to strip stuff away from). I usually do it while watching TV or something though so it's not as laborious as it sounds.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

yeah, that's a straight up roll tide

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Alabama does not deserve nice things.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

I can't imagine that Coach O knows how to operate a computer.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

LeeMajors posted:

None of the schools do but at least for Alabama it's just one more on the pile rather than vindicating any of those other teams and/or the Big Ten.

Words can barely express how much I want Ohio State to just go away at this point, and the single reason I rooted for them they year they won it because the alternative was Oregon, otherwise that was a loving Meteor Game.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

It ranks near the bottom in all QoL metrics, its people deserve this one piece of joy to cling to in the overwhelming hideousness of the modern world. I beseech you

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rick posted:

For the one I posted I'm just doing some math with php and storing the results in a mysql database.

I don't have any access to data so I by hand enter the result of every single game (I've tried automating it but haven't found a consistent source I was able to get enough results to strip stuff away from). I usually do it while watching TV or something though so it's not as laborious as it sounds.
Here's one data source. It's obviously not ideal but a couple regular expressions chew through it.

This looks very good as well but I haven't used it yet.

I'm working my stuff up into something useful and portable, eventually, so when I do have a reasonable source of data that's clean and ready to use I can alert anyone interested--probably in the off season.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I just looked and VT is a road favorite against an undefeated top 10 team :stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

who do you root for

Giant Meteor

(Notre Dame, if only because it's someone new who is not Penn State)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

I just looked and VT is a road favorite against an undefeated top 10 team :stare:

It's really dumb. We played our worst game against UNC, and still managed to win. We don't come out that bad again.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dilber posted:

It's really dumb. We played our worst game against UNC, and still managed to win. We don't come out that bad again.

I think they're weighing more than just the UNC game against you guys. Your last 4 games could easily be 4 losses, especially FSU and GT. You're either playing to the competition's level or winning on borrowed time.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dilber posted:

Someone hasn't watched lots of recent Mark Richt football in Big Games. I hope for your sake it's different than what it was recently at UGA.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Mahoning posted:

This is a pretty good resume snapshot. LOL Bama.

The line for Georgia. They only have wins over two .500+ teams, and those two teams have a 0.929 win percentage? Am I understanding that right?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

I think they're weighing more than just the UNC game against you guys. Your last 4 games could easily be 4 losses, especially FSU and GT. You're either playing to the competition's level or winning on borrowed time.

Honestly, go and rewatch them. GT we statistically dominated after their first two drives. The only reason they were ahead was because of the worlds worst onside kick call. FSU/Miami is always wild (regardless of how good or bad the teams are). Syracuse we beat wire to wire. UNC was the worst game played by the team, and that was with Rosier getting injured in the first quarter and playing with a hurt throwing shoulder the rest of the game. We're finally getting healthy. The playing every weekend thanks to the schedule move really hurt us a bit. Our run game should be better this week. The main reason it wasn't working the last two games was because our best Olineman was hurt. He's back and healthy this game. Our starting CB should be back this week as well. Every single week it was "Miami on upset alert!" followed by "well, that team wasn't good anyways." Win the games you have.

Honestly, I think this game is a tossup, but I don't think VT should be favored. Our stadium will be similarly loud to the FSU game last year, and that was almost deafening. You've got a Redshirt Freshman QB making his third away start, with the others being ECU (where you guys looked bad in the beginning), and BC before they found an offense.

VT gives up big plays, which is what Miami's offense with Rosier does. We're the best defense you'll play, outside of probably clemson, and they dismantled you.

I expect a defensive struggle for both teams, but it's Miami/VT. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a blowout either way.

Dilber fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 2, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dilber posted:

Honestly, go and rewatch them. GT we statistically dominated after their first two drives. The only reason they were ahead was because of the worlds worst onside kick call. FSU/Miami is always wild (regardless of how good or bad the teams are). Syracuse we beat wire to wire. UNC was the worst game played by the team, and that was with Rosier getting injured in the first quarter and playing with a hurt throwing shoulder the rest of the game. We're finally getting healthy. The playing every weekend thanks to the schedule move really hurt us a bit. Our run game should be better this week. The main reason it wasn't working the last two games was because our best Olineman was hurt. He's back and healthy this game. Our starting CB should be back this week as well. Every single week it was "Miami on upset alert!" followed by "well, that team wasn't good anyways." Win the games you have.

Honestly, I think this game is a tossup, but I don't think VT should be favored. Our stadium will be similarly loud to the FSU game last year, and that was almost deafening. You've got a Redshirt Freshman QB making his third away start, with the others being ECU (where you guys looked bad in the beginning), and BC before they found an offense.

VT gives up big plays, which is what Miami's offense with Rosier does. We're the best defense you'll play, outside of probably clemson, and they dismantled you.

I expect a defensive struggle for both teams, but it's Miami/VT. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a blowout either way.

I think you are severely underrating VT's D. By like a whole, whole bunch.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

I think you are severely underrating VT's D. By like a whole, whole bunch.

I'm not. We have similar defenses in terms of stats. VT's big defensive struggle has been big plays, and that's what our team has been thriving on. I also think you dline feasts on our offensive line, especially since Foster is used to the way our O-line coach teaches and our guard play going up against your DTs isn't a good matchup for us. That said, you might be without your starting LT going up against our deepest position. Our d-line is really, really good.

Dilber fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 2, 2017

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Miami & VT is basically a pick-em per S&P+ numbers, which sounds about right.

The thing I see with Miami is they can't run block at all , that freshman LT that went down a few games ago is probably their best run blocker.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Miami & VT is basically a pick-em per S&P+ numbers, which sounds about right.

The thing I see with Miami is they can't run block at all , that freshman LT that went down a few games ago is probably their best run blocker.

He's our RG actually! That was who I was referring to being back at full speed this week, which is why I think our run blocking will be better this week. His replacement was a golden special and another true freshman that doesn't have the same level of strength. They're good depth players this year, but shouldn't be starting.

Like I said, I think it's a pick'em. I don't think VT should be favored in Miami. They're basically saying that VT would be a touchdown favorite at home, and I think that spread is a bit big.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Emron posted:

It ranks near the bottom in all QoL metrics, its people deserve this one piece of joy to cling to in the overwhelming hideousness of the modern world. I beseech you

So does West Virginia and that doesn't stop WVU from collapsing anytime they look like they have a chance of making a championship game in anything but shooting.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Dilber posted:

He's our RG actually! That was who I was referring to being back at full speed this week, which is why I think our run blocking will be better this week. His replacement was a golden special and another true freshman that doesn't have the same level of strength. They're good depth players this year, but shouldn't be starting.

Like I said, I think it's a pick'em. I don't think VT should be favored in Miami. They're basically saying that VT would be a touchdown favorite at home, and I think that spread is a bit big.

Think it actually means they’d be 8.5 pt favorites at home right? Home field worth 3 points. Does seem like you’re supposed to take the points here.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Line I saw was VT -3 unless it shifted more.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Dilber posted:

Line I saw was VT -3 unless it shifted more.

Right so VT -9 at home seems aggressive

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dilber posted:

I'm not. We have similar defenses in terms of stats. VT's big defensive struggle has been big plays, and that's what our team has been thriving on. I also think you dline feasts on our offensive line, especially since Foster is used to the way our O-line coach teaches and our guard play going up against your DTs isn't a good matchup for us. That said, you might be without your starting LT going up against our deepest position. Our d-line is really, really good.

I'll disagree there, our D is a fairly substantial bit better in every major defensive category.

You guys are also incredibly bad on 3rd down offense and VT is like #2 for 3rd down D.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Adun posted:

Think it actually means they’d be 8.5 pt favorites at home right? Home field worth 3 points. Does seem like you’re supposed to take the points here.

Home field fluctuates in college, the standard is 3 but a good home field can be worth 5-6 if the team has been lights out at home. VT's pretty average at home recently so theirs might be 3.5 to 4.5.

Yea, logic would dictate VT would probably go fairly high at home for this line but I'm sure it'd dive in an instant.

This should be a pick'em @Miami and I'd say probably a FG favorite for VT at home.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

I'll disagree there, our D is a fairly substantial bit better in every major defensive category.

You guys are also incredibly bad on 3rd down offense and VT is like #2 for 3rd down D.

We're bad on third downs, but pretty decent on second down.

This is what Miami goes for on defense:

TFL per game: 3rd (8.9)
- Turnover Margin: 6th (+10)
- Total Sacks: 4th (25)
- Pass Efficiency D: 3rd (97.90)

Like I said, I think it's a defensive struggle.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

Someone hasn't watched lots of recent Mark Richt football in Big Games. I hope for your sake it's different than what it was recently at UGA.

Note: Big Game is defined exclusively in hindsight and only to games Richt lost

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Just looking through Wikipedia Mark Richt appears to have been 4 - 7 in games where Georgia and their opponent are both ranked in the Top 10 which doesn't seem that great.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

who do you root for

As an Auburn fan I'd very likely be leaning Alabama and would just have to drown out the misery in one of those stupid "conference supremacy" arguments and be happy for Emron.

Either that or somehow convince myself Urbz is my guy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Two directional Michigan teams are facing off right now, espn2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MourningView posted:

Note: Big Game is defined exclusively in hindsight and only to games Richt lost

Since 2010, away games versus top 25 times at the time of play:

2010 (0-2)
#24 South Carolina L 17-6
#2 Auburn L 49-31

2011 (1-0)
#23 Georgia Tech W 31-17

2012 (0-1)
#6 South Carolina L 35-7

2013 (0-2)
#8 Clemson L 38-35
#7 Auburn L 43-38

2014 (1-1)
#24 South Carolina L 38-35
#23 Missouri W 34-0

2015 (0-0)
None

Total record of 2-6. 14-23 against all ranked teams over last 8 years of tenure at UGA. What am I missing? I'm assuming watching almost every game of his career at UGA is working against me here, based on your comment.

• Locked thread