Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vortmax posted:

It's honestly not great, but I wanted to see if maybe it was just the one Subway near my store that didn't take the XBT. I guess Hammy was lying?

Subways are largely owned by franchisees and not corporate, apparently the Subway thing was a gimmick around 2013 being done by a franchise owner that was big into Coinbase, you can strike that off the list at this point! Like there's one in philly and one in russia and one in brazil, in other words, Subway aint doing poo poo.

If you are actually looking to mess around with cryptocoins in person, try this bitcoin ATM map:
https://coinatmradar.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Adar posted:

As bad as Ham Sandwiches and friends are at this, it’s enough of a bull market / massive bubble that making money during it is extremely easy and “but you’re wasting electricity” isn’t really much of a comeback, tbqh

For example, that buttcoin will go up nearly every day until the November 15th fork (at the expense of ICOs and altcoins) and then take a 1 day massive drop (with altcoins reversing the entire decline) has been a known, obvious fact for well over a month, and yet the market has somehow not priced either of these things in yet

Yeah, the entire thing is a massive meme whose only chance was reaching critical mass, but it did just that. It was a fun few years but sanity lost this round so making fun of it when you could be investing in it misses the point (the point is profiting off libertarians and their tears)

Btw in case anyone’s wondering getting money into and out of an exchange takes about an hour one way and a day the other so that argument sucks too. Don’t keep buttcoins on an exchange but it’s not 2013 anymore in that sense, either
*checks talking points from 2013*

i'm sorry none of this is true, it says right here

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

so i should sell all my bitcoin on the 14th?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ahahahaha the guy that wrote a self published book about how bitcoins are a scam is now going to self publish a book about how the AI stuff everyone is excited about is a scam next!!

HOLY gently caress :psyboom:

He really, really is a professional debunker rationalwiki host and wikipedia editor that goes around finding whatever is hot and deciding it's a scam that only he is smart enough to see through. And this is the prophet buttcoin goons rallied behind!! Un loving believable.

Let me ask you this now, dear reader: Please don't buy any more of this idiot's books folks, or do it if you want I guess it's your life, good luck and namaste.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

so i should sell all my bitcoin on the 14th?
bookmark one of the websites that tells you when the fork will occur and either sell either right before or right after, depending on whether you want the b2x coins or not

personally my strategy is to sell bitcoin prior to the fork and the buy cheap alts to sell after they pump following the fork

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

cool. I've been speculating on coinbase off and on for a few years, mostly when i see news about bitcoin and it reminds me that it exists lol. I bought $1000 worth back at 5000 ish so i'll be happy to come out of it with a couple hundred on top

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

hey geys lemme redefine the meaning of "scam" real quick so all commerce is a scam

gently caress i'm so good at arguing

Dude why are you owning me. I just took an oath of honor swearing that everything is good and fine, and not a scam. Everything is as it should be. Bitcoin is not a scam -- its honest like wall street big bucks, an honest days pay. What do you want me to say??

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Dog Jones posted:

Dude why are you owning me. I just took an oath of honor swearing that everything is good and fine, and not a scam. Everything is as it should be. Bitcoin is not a scam -- its honest like wall street big bucks, an honest days pay. What do you want me to say??
bend the knee and send me bitcoin

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

cool. I've been speculating on coinbase off and on for a few years, mostly when i see news about bitcoin and it reminds me that it exists lol. I bought $1000 worth back at 5000 ish so i'll be happy to come out of it with a couple hundred on top
nice, you're so far in the money now that you can just set a stop somewhere comfortable so you know you're walking away with a few hundred in profit. just sell before the fork and you're good.

you might want to keep an eye on news about the fork just to be sure it's still planned to happen. there's a chance that it won't since the community is pretty divided over it

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ahahahaha the guy that wrote a self published book about how bitcoins are a scam is now going to self publish a book about how the AI stuff everyone is excited about is a scam next!!

He really, really is a professional debunker rationalwiki host and wikipedia editor that goes around finding whatever is hot and deciding it's a scam that only he is smart enough to see through. And this is the prophet buttcoin goons rallied behind!! Un loving believable.

Let me ask you this now, dear reader: Please don't buy any more of this idiot's books folks, or do it if you want I guess it's your life, good luck and namaste.

Much like blockchain, AI is often touted by snake oil 'consultants' as the solution to everything when it is not, seems like a good topic

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

clear eyes full farts posted:

Much like blockchain, AI is often touted by snake oil 'consultants' as the solution to everything when it is not, seems like a good topic

Yep, this is literally Luddites.txt

I imagine being too dumb to be able to picture how things will be useful in the future may pose a real difficulty when trying to go through life, I guess a few tender souls are now clinging together trying to debunk the world as it changes around them

Having bravely declared Cryptocoins a scam for years, the 10k rationalwiki readers over at buttcoins welcome the new subreddit "AI is a scam"

Totally not powering self driving cars or revolutionizing pretty much everything, AI is a SCAM, and only unix sysadmins that got cryptocoins 100% wrong are smart enough to know it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

AI is a scam. The only reason that its technology seems to be progressing is because the definition of AI is becoming looser and looser.

Soon your living room lightbulb will be an ai, since its decision matrix senses the status of the applicabe lightswitch and adjusts its light output based on the results of a competitive generational whateverthefuck I'm to bored to keep going

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

AI is a scam. The only reason that its technology seems to be progressing is because the definition of AI is becoming looser and looser.

Soon your living room lightbulb will be an ai, since its decision matrix senses the status of the applicabe lightswitch and adjusts its light output based on the results of a competitive generational whateverthefuck I'm to bored to keep going

"Haha these cars literally driving themselves? That people have been working on for years? Massive advancements in the types and functionality of neural networks? What a loving scam!!"

How can Intel, Nvidia, IBM, Facebook, Google, etc participate in such a scam?? If only they were as smart as buttcoin readers they could save billions avoiding that scam.

Apple and Google and Microsoft and Samsung iterating on AI assistants? Fell for a scam too. It's very sad. If only they had read the rationalwiki, they could have been warned. Maybe a self published book from a unix sysadmin that knows nothing about finance or AI will do the trick though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
wait wait wait... you think self-driving cars are running on artificial intelligence?
hey guys im currently running the artificial intelligence microsoft office 2013 but is it worth updating to the artificial intelligence office 2017? also whats the deal with the artificial intelligence android 8? is it really all that much better than artificial intelligence android 7 (which is really pretty smart already)

i like how youve reverted to your pouty "you guys are just wrong anyway" state after all your failure to reason out an argument for your views on bitcoin being the currency of the future and not the most obviously identified scam of the kind where a constant supply of new investors are perpetually required to pay off the older investors

Ham Sandwiches posted:

knows nothing about finance or AI
good signature for you

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

gary oldmans diary posted:

wait wait wait... you think self-driving cars are running on artificial intelligence?

Oh I can't wait to hear this. Gary, how do you think self driving cars work?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Everyone I know who works with Machine Learning and deep learning makes six figures and get 5-10 recruiter/headhunting calls per week. Some of them also bought bitcoin and made money off of it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Subways are largely owned by franchisees and not corporate, apparently the Subway thing was a gimmick around 2013 being done by a franchise owner that was big into Coinbase, you can strike that off the list at this point! Like there's one in philly and one in russia and one in brazil, in other words, Subway aint doing poo poo.

If you are actually looking to mess around with cryptocoins in person, try this bitcoin ATM map:
https://coinatmradar.com/

....so you completely made poo poo up to support your "argument". Why should anyone listen to you?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Minimalist Program posted:

Everyone I know who works with Machine Learning and deep learning makes six figures and get 5-10 recruiter/headhunting calls per week. Some of them also bought bitcoin and made money off of it.

bitcoin still seems like a ponzi scheme to me but the scale is so long term it's possible to ride the price surges and make a little money off of it

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
p sure if you scraped all SA threads into a stemmed/tokenized corpus it you could plop it into scikit-learn and have a decent shitpost predictor/generator in an afternoon.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Oh I can't wait to hear this. Gary, how do you think self driving cars work?
obviously each smart car is set up with a neural network that is hopefully able to teach itself to drive some time before a high speed crash occurs

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vortmax posted:

....so you completely made poo poo up to support your "argument". Why should anyone listen to you?

I was going off a third party list, most of the entries are accurate, some apparently are not! I had not tried the Subway thing myself. Steam, Microsoft, Overstock etc, those are all valid and work today. Try them and see for yourself.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

bitcoin still seems like a ponzi scheme to me but the scale is so long term it's possible to ride the price surges and make a little money off of it

Oh I definitely agree it's retarded and it's going to crash and burn eventually but, when you think about it,so will love, marriage, life, every human endeavor and, in time, the earth and universe itself. On a long enough time scale, every idea and thing is bad and dumb because its going to crash or be destroyed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I was going off a third party list, most of the entries are accurate, some apparently are not! I had not tried the Subway thing myself. Steam, Microsoft, Overstock etc, those are all valid and work today. Try them and see for yourself.
which of those companies have bitcoin wallets? zero even though its free and easy to set up if they were actually interested in using bitcoin? how strange

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

In other words, you don't have a loving clue what you're shilling and can't be bothered to do the most basic research. Why should anyone listen to you?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

obviously each smart car is set up with a neural network that is hopefully able to teach itself to drive some time before a high speed crash occurs

Yes indeed unsupervised learning networks are apparently the only form of AI?? uhh are you capable of answering direct questions or is it that you just quote people and tell them they're wrong?

How do self driving cars work, bro? Is it magic? Or something else?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

well no gary, each smart car is set up with software that continously polls an extensively tested and well-engineered pretrained model of a neural network that has been weighted for optimal performance.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

vortmax posted:

In other words, you don't have a loving clue what you're shilling and can't be bothered to do the most basic research. Why should anyone listen to you?

Because goons are wrong about bitcoin and are so stupid and morons, maaaaaaaan.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes indeed unsupervised learning networks are apparently the only form of AI?? uhh are you capable of answering direct questions or is it that you just quote people and tell them they're wrong?

How do self driving cars work, bro? Is it magic? Or something else?
a long explanation going over image processing on a level you can simulate yourself with photoshop filters coordinating with gps guidance would be a waste of time when you wouldnt even understand why a quake bot isnt ai

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vortmax posted:

I checked several of the entries on the list before reposting them, I didn't make it down to Subway.com! You seem really, really enamored that one entry on that list was incorrect. I expect a few other entries are incorrect too!

So yeah, the following merchants do accept bitcoins:
Steam
Overstock
Microsoft
Expedia
Intuit
Dish network

I checked them all so hopefully you won't get super super upset about any more inconsistencies with the list

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

a long explanation going over image processing on a level you can simulate yourself with photoshop filters coordinating with gps guidance would be a waste of time when you wouldnt even understand why a quake bot isnt ai

Gary I think a lot modern colloquial use of "AI" refers to Machine Learning which is a pretty solid scientific discipline that can do some pretty amazing things. It's not artificial conscience or life, it's just a computery way of seeing connections and features in very large and feature rich data sets in a way that humans cannot do.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I checked several of the entries on the list before reposting them, I didn't make it down to Subway.com! You seem really, really enamored that one entry on that list was incorrect. I expect a few other entries are incorrect too!

So yeah, the following merchants do accept bitcoins:
Steam
Overstock
Microsoft
Expedia
Intuit
Dish network

I checked them all so hopefully you won't get super super upset about any more inconsistencies with the list

vortmax posted:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

"AI is a scam because neural networks doing image recognition and driving cars are not AI"

-SA goon gary oldmans diary

Cool cool let's just say, I find your argument absolutely ridiculous, perhaps it is you that has no clue how self driving cars work, something to consider.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hi Vortmax, an entry on the list was wrong. The thing is, all those merchants listed still do accept bitcoins. That really is a thing that's happening. So, the updated list is the correct one - I hope it's helpful.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why the hell would an AI need bitcoin?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fried Watermelon posted:

Can't wait for the future when sexbots accept bitcoins so you can literally gently caress them and get hosed with bitcoins

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

maybe the ai likes, or would like to learn to like, pizzas.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hi Vortmax, an entry on the list was wrong. The thing is, all those merchants listed still do accept bitcoins. That really is a thing that's happening. So, the updated list is the correct one - I hope it's helpful.

But why didn't you check it before? Why only after you're caught? And why should anyone listen to you and your "research" if it's this bad?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gary I think a lot modern colloquial use of "AI" refers to Machine Learning which is a pretty solid scientific discipline that can do some pretty amazing things. It's not artificial conscience or life, it's just a computery way of seeing connections and features in very large and feature rich data sets in a way that humans cannot do.
yes actual ai is very cool. whats in a self-driving car isnt ai or simulated ai. the image processing routine it uses being optimized by an ai to identify essential road features and obstructions does not mean there is an ai running in a self-driving car. dont confuse ham sandwiches
im a diary btw not a gary

Ham Sandwiches posted:

"AI is a scam because neural networks doing image recognition and driving cars are not AI"

-SA goon gary oldmans diary

Cool cool let's just say, I find your argument absolutely ridiculous, perhaps it is you that has no clue how self driving cars work, something to consider.
see minimalist. hes already down to thinking the car has or is reaching out to a neural network back end and is doing "image recognition"
and "driving cars" is part of his explanation of how an ai drives a car. lol. i hope thats the main part. clearly hes got a good handle on it

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 1, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vortmax posted:

But why didn't you check it before? Why only after you're caught? And why should anyone listen to you and your "research"?

What kind of answer are you looking for here? So a guy asked which merchants accept bitcoins, I checked some third party websites and verified several. some franchises of Subway accepted bitcoins (and still do), just not all of them. In this case, someone overstated a few franchisees accepting bitcoin as Subway accepting bitcoin, and the google results indicated that it was the thing, so I left it on the list!

I hope that the more updated list is helpful as a reference, and apologize for including Subway (all franchises) when it should be Subway (3 franchisees that love loving bitcoins, you won't be near any)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Can't wait for the future when sexbots accept bitcoins so you can literally gently caress them and get hosed with bitcoins

We can already do that without bots. Buy some meth with bitcoin and find a methhead willing to give you a handy with it. Easy peasy.

maybe the ai likes, or would like to learn to like, pizzas.

Any AI who can't or won't learn to like pizza is not an AI I want around.