Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I don't think the community is showing the proper level of gratitude towards their Mercies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpBEU0o6rUY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No Wave posted:

I don't think the community is showing the proper level of gratitude towards their Mercies.

Do you think that the setup timer is long enough to check my teammates posting history and determine who should get healing accordingly?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a good idea, but unless there's a tank right there to toss up a shield, the person will probably just die again before Mercy can heal them up. Dead people tend to be in unsafe positions.

Honestly I'd lower the cast time and health restored. It's still very powerful but would require more babysitting.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Hovering your mouse over a player on the social menu should give you a word cloud of their forum posts.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think if they do anything, it should be to reduce the movement penalty. 1.75s right at the sweet spot for Sombra hack+reaction time+leeway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Montalvo posted:

I just browsed through the thread and read his responses and I gotta say, the dude's got some patience to respond in such a civil manner to the way people talk to him on there. Gamers are the worst.
I wouldn't be too impressed, Kaplan used to be them

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I'm starting to think that healing should be slashed across the board for everyone (packs too). This is part I'm bad that I can only get someone to 5 hp and run out of bullets but all my work basically gets erased in 2-5 seconds depending on the healer. I just need to learn how to aim but if the person I'm fighting has a Mercy or an Ana join in and they aren't a punch away from death, I might as well give up.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

BallisticClipboard posted:

I'm starting to think that healing should be slashed across the board for everyone (packs too). This is part I'm bad that I can only get someone to 5 hp and run out of bullets but all my work basically gets erased in 2-5 seconds depending on the healer. I just need to learn how to aim but if the person I'm fighting has a Mercy or an Ana join in and they aren't a punch away from death, I might as well give up.

Here's a wild idea:

Shoot...

the

healer.

edit: if you're solo against a dps and a healer, then you're out of position and deserve to die.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Healing amounts are fine. Most good DPS heroes can burn through someone's HP even if they're being healed by Mercy or Ana, let alone the lower-HPS healers. It's difficult and requires good aim but this isn't a problem.

The problems with healing are:

- Granting ult charge for healing was a horrible mistake because it means that dealing non-lethal damage is a liability for the attacker. The worst part is that Blizzard aren't completely ignorant of this -- it's almost certainly the reason that damage grants ult charge at a 1:1 ratio while healing only grants ult charge at a 5:4 ratio. (How many of you already knew that? :v: )

It's just that this is a completely inadequate solution because a) successfully dealing damage shouldn't be disincentivized at all and b) 5:4 is not nearly enough to make up for how much better support ults are than everyone else's ults.

- There is no limit to the amount of healing that can happen in one engagement. This means no real possibility of fighting a war of attrition, and makes every fight revolve around killing the healers as a priority. This is why dive comp keeps coming back over and over, and why the game grinds down to tank-heavy stalemates when dive is nerfed: everything comes down to whether you can bust through healing NOW, as opposed to over time, which means that a wide variety of strategies that might exist in theory can never work in practice.

If healing cost an ammo-like resource that regenerated slowly -- more slowly than the demand for healing -- that would really open things up. Another possibility is to change how healing works for the recipient, making it so that, for instance, armor can't be healed, or each hero's life bar is divided into segments and if their health drops below one of those thresholds they can only be healed UP to that segment until the next time they respawn. This would make target priority much more fluid because now non-lethal burst damage on a specific target has a permanent effect, meaning fights are less drawn out, switching targets is more frequently correct, and there are paths to victory that aren't just "kill the healers and then mop up."

This would also mean that you could actually buff healers in other ways -- right now, healers have to be extra vulnerable compared to other characters because if they weren't, fights would never end. If there are alternatives to killing the healers, they can be more mobile, more able to win 1v1 fights, more survivable, etc. without causing horrible problems. I can't speak for others but I would have way more fun playing support under those circumstances.

- The mechanical requirements for healing are far lower than the mechanical requirements for dealing damage. This is another reason why the 5:4 ratio isn't really enough -- healing is almost guaranteed while damage depends on aim.

Even Ana, who is by far the best-designed healer and a model for how healers in general should work, has super-forgiving hitboxes when aiming at allies. Zenyatta has fire-and-forget healing and a well-balanced gun, which is less good than Ana but still pretty okay because his HPS are so small it makes up for it. Lucio is tricky because on the one hand boops are cool, his gun is cool, but his most important mechanics (speed boost, amp it up healing) are practically freebies; all he has to do is stand near his team. Mercy has fairly demanding movement abilities (and moreso post-rework, which is good!) but all of her healing and rezzing capabilites are push button, receive value, and she has less reason to use her gun than any other healer -- and this is potentially more of a problem than Lucio or Zen because of the sheer amount of healing she pumps out.

This also contributes to the problem of how hard it is to balance Mercy. Heroes that scale with aim tend to be weaker at lower ranks and get progressively better as you go up in rank, which is ideal -- comparing like to like means heroes are more likely to be balanced relative to each other at every skill level. The "flatter" a hero's power curve is, the worse it turns out when you try to balance them for any particular skill level, like so:

Now, aim isn't the only way to improve a hero's skill curve -- you can also give them very demanding movement abilities, or really hard decisions -- but it's so central to FPS gameplay that leaving it out creates a huge deficit. Just giving a no-aim hero the same level of positioning / ability use decisions that everyone else has isn't good enough, you need to go above and beyond.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 1, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That's a good post. You should put it somewhere where Kaplan will see it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You're powered up, get...
...get in there. :negative:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/22813879/

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

:barf:

real talk i wanted to let blizzard know i loved custom junkenstein games and didn't want it to get lost in the twitter void so i made my first and only blizzard forums post a couple weeks ago

weirdly enough the only positive topic on that page got no traction whatsoever

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

teagone posted:

xQc couldn't carry this team of plats and a master player. NOTE: xQc is barely tolerable in small doses, so be warned, but his reaction to what the MMR system gave him is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Il37BBqOa8

Does he have some kind of speech impediment? I'm not exaggerating for comic effect--I legitimately cannot understand half of what he is saying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
blizzard forums are really funny and good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The hypocrisy in saying to play around one character and not play around another blows my mind.

How Genji (a DPS master race) can get this sort of support meanwhile Mercy (a support second class citizen hero) is gutted over and over again...

It blows my mind.

Back when revive was an ultimate Mercy was even arguably UNDERPOWERED with dramatically lower rates then lucio and zenyatta who were the two dominant picks at the time.

I just. UGH.

The DPS favortism is staggering.

"HEY HERE IS A DPS! FIND IT ANNOYING? WELL JUST LEARN TO COUNTERPLAY.!"

"A disgusting support has something some youtubers find annoying at times? GUT IT! GUT IT HARD! GUT ITTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

~~~~~~~ Because context seems hard for some to follow:

I mean in regards to why they ever removed Mercy's revive from being an ULTIMATE IN THE FIRST PLACE. It was changed (when she was in an arguably underpowered state with the meta HEAVILY favoring lucio + zen comps) because of this hypocrisy in the first place.

In fact I'd go so far as to say I DESPISE revive on a cooldown.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

Does he have some kind of speech impediment? I'm not exaggerating for comic effect--I legitimately cannot understand half of what he is saying.

french canadian

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
May want to preface that you stole that from the forums, it's some grade A whiney Mercy stuff right there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

IronicDongz posted:

The hypocrisy in saying to play around one character and not play around another blows my mind.

How Genji (a DPS master race) can get this sort of support meanwhile Mercy (a support second class citizen hero) is gutted over and over again...

It blows my mind.

Back when revive was an ultimate Mercy was even arguably UNDERPOWERED with dramatically lower rates then lucio and zenyatta who were the two dominant picks at the time.

I just. UGH.

The DPS favortism is staggering.

"HEY HERE IS A DPS! FIND IT ANNOYING? WELL JUST LEARN TO COUNTERPLAY.!"

"A disgusting support has something some youtubers find annoying at times? GUT IT! GUT IT HARD! GUT ITTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

~~~~~~~ Because context seems hard for some to follow:

I mean in regards to why they ever removed Mercy's revive from being an ULTIMATE IN THE FIRST PLACE. It was changed (when she was in an arguably underpowered state with the meta HEAVILY favoring lucio + zen comps) because of this hypocrisy in the first place.

In fact I'd go so far as to say I DESPISE revive on a cooldown.
When did everyone start complaining about Genji? The only oppressive thing about him is that I'm forced to admit the Genji is better at the game when he tools on me and I can't make excuses like he made a lucky shot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people have always complained about genji. he's got one of the highest skill ceilings in overwatch so dealing with a good one is really hard for your average player

he is spared the pure vitriol that the 1hko heroes get (tho he actually can oneshot 200 hp heroes with his alt fire. it's just rare), but people do find him annoying

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's not even "good ones are hard to deal with" because matchmaking largely insulates you from that

it's that seeing someone else do something that you can't do by just picking it up and trying sends people into a tizzy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

matchmaking definitely doesn't do that, at least not in qp. the solo queue qp sr ranges I get go from high plat to top 500 usually, tho it can dip below occasionally

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yeah that's fair QP matchmaking is insanely permissive

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
THIS IS WHAT JUNKRAT HAS IN HIS KIT

• Splash damage that detonates on contact, or bounces and lingers for a few seconds after firing, yet it's still just as deadly as if he shot it in your face. His primary fire lingers on the battlefield and doesn't have any drop off in damage.
  • Two mines that he can use interchangeably between giving himself more air time, or a jump and a powerful explosive throwable, or two powerful explosive throwables.
  • Speaking of those mines, Junkrat has a triple jump using them. Jump, mine boost, mine boost. He doesn't even have to exploit a wall climbing glitch to do it.
  • Junkrat doesn't damage himself with his own grenades. He can also use his ultimate and explode it right next to him to kill everyone around him except himself, making it so the only punishment for poor ultimate positioning is another player being able to kill him before the RIP-Tire goes off. Unless Junkrat ults in the middle of a team fight and right in the crossfire, he gets rewarded for using his ultimate anywhere.
Nothing I've stated here is an opinion. This is exactly what Junkrat can do, and the extent of what he is capable of. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not Junkrat is 'too much'.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

neglects to mention how much of a delay there is on junkrat's ult activating in the last one

and that those "lingering" projectiles are also the slowest primary fire projectiles in the game; the only projectiles that move more slowly are symmetra's orb and torb's armor pack fling

and that his triple jump requires placing a mine and then waiting for a cooldown to execute which is nowhere near as good or easily available as genji's old triple-jump

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

When did everyone start complaining about Genji? The only oppressive thing about him is that I'm forced to admit the Genji is better at the game when he tools on me and I can't make excuses like he made a lucky shot.

I have always hated Genji because he's loving obnoxious on console. Trying to hit something that moves in such a spastic way sucks while using sticks to aim. It sucks even more when said spaz has the ability to negate incoming damage for a moment of time and dash through you and hop away before you can turn to keep shooting at it.

gently caress Genji.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

neglects to mention how much of a delay there is on junkrat's ult activating in the last one

and that those "lingering" projectiles are also the slowest primary fire projectiles in the game; the only projectiles that move more slowly are symmetra's orb and torb's armor pack fling

and that his triple jump requires placing a mine and then waiting for a cooldown to execute which is nowhere near as good or easily available as genji's old triple-jump

He's quoting posts from the blizzard forums :ssh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

He's quoting posts from the blizzard forums :ssh:

i know, but i enjoy talking about junkrat

i made the same response to the actual post on the blizzard forums

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

dorado is a really awful FFA map and I wish they'd make a couple more chateau guillards

dorado is incredibly reliant on high ground with like two and a half very circumspect paths to high ground, on top of the rear alley being desolate since only one spawn overlooks it so pharah isn't even all that workable there

eichenwald and king's row are OK

King's Row seems fine on paper but man I for whatever reason just absolutely cannot get the hang of it. I know it's more me than the map but it still bugs me.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Straight White Shark posted:

King's Row seems fine on paper but man I for whatever reason just absolutely cannot get the hang of it. I know it's more me than the map but it still bugs me.

I think King's row's main problem is poor health-pack placement for DM-- while the mega is well placed, every other health pack is a small pack and in a garbage corner somewhere.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Mercy change seems fine. I've said it before but I think Valkyrie is about as good as Resurrect was so you'd basically have to remove her E entirely to make her balanced. This is a good amount of the way there, the ability is a lot more niche now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Blue Caboose posted:

I think King's row's main problem is poor health-pack placement for DM-- while the mega is well placed, every other health pack is a small pack and in a garbage corner somewhere.

Makes sense. Also explains why my performance on King's Row suffers less when playing self-healing heroes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Bumper Stickup posted:

I have always hated Genji because he's loving obnoxious on console. Trying to hit something that moves in such a spastic way sucks while using sticks to aim. It sucks even more when said spaz has the ability to negate incoming damage for a moment of time and dash through you and hop away before you can turn to keep shooting at it.

gently caress Genji.

:respek:

I don't understand how a character that fast can function in a console FPS. It's like a five year old could ruin my day with that jackass.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The game is developed and balanced primarily as a PC FPS, with a console port. A lot of other modern FPS games are console based, then ported over to PC.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

friends don't let friends play FPS on consoles

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

berenzen posted:

The game is developed and balanced primarily as a PC FPS, with a console port. A lot of other modern FPS games are console based, then ported over to PC.

Yeah, make no mistake, Overwatch wasn't really designed console-first. Unlike, well, the vast majority of games out there.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

berenzen posted:

I'm still a little bitter that the only console specific balance we got was a nerf to torb and symmetra turrets.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
When I play BF1, I literally feel like, "Yeah, this isn't worth a poo poo on a controller."

Strangely, I don't feel that way with Overwatch. Unless Genji is doing his loving thing.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Bumper Stickup posted:

gently caress Genji.

Sounds like you need a hammer in your hands, friend.

Or an ice spraying, icicle shoot.....nah just go for the hammer.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Santheb posted:

Sounds like you need a hammer in your hands, friend.

Or an ice spraying, icicle shoot.....nah just go for the hammer.

Genji is the entire reason I learned how to play Winston. Can't deflect electricity! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bumper Stickup posted:

Genji is the entire reason I learned how to play Winston. Can't deflect electricity! :science:

I laugh every time a Genji desperately deflects in front of me.

Smashing the dreams of Genjis is like the #1 reason I'll pick Winston in QP.