Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Didn't the old one get closed recently?

There's a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I knew if I asked, someone would provide :) Thanks!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yes, because of a post-count bug. The new one is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837778

efb

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

There's a new one here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837778&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

They killed the old one due to the indexing problem.

e:f;b and rebeaten.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You rent apartments and own condos. As far as I know that's it.

Generally, yes, though condos are sometimes rented out by their individual owners (older properties are often more rental than owner-occupied, especially as neighborhoods turn ugly). Condos almost always have a HOA that maintains the exterior of buildings and the common grounds, while the landlord handles all of that in apartments. Apartments and condos can transition from one to the other (usually from condos to apartments), but it doesn't happen often. Most of the condos in my immediate area transitioned to apartments, though.

There's one "condo" building down the road that's owned 100% by one person; in my eyes they should be called apartments, but for whatever reason he's chosen to keep the word "Condos" in the name.

For whatever reason, condos (older ones I've looked at anyway) are sometimes cheaper to rent than a traditional apartment, even though they're essentially the same.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's where they keep the holy grail nowadays.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's where they keep the holy grail nowadays.
They chose... poorly.

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error
My home insurance company hired some electricians to fix some fire damage. They rewired part of the master bathroom with 14 gauge wire (rated for 15 amps) even though it is a 20 amp circuit. I pointed out that the wire was undersized for the circuit, so they 'fixed' it... By putting the bathroom plugs on the kitchen lighting circuit... The switched side of the kitchen lighting circuit... And leaving the 14 gauge wire in the 20 amp lighting circuit. :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would have bitched your insurance company out something fierce.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
They just wanted to be able to do more fire-damage repairs later.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Sir_Lagsalot posted:

My home insurance company hired some electricians to fix some fire damage. They rewired part of the master bathroom with 14 gauge wire (rated for 15 amps) even though it is a 20 amp circuit. I pointed out that the wire was undersized for the circuit, so they 'fixed' it... By putting the bathroom plugs on the kitchen lighting circuit... The switched side of the kitchen lighting circuit... And leaving the 14 gauge wire in the 20 amp lighting circuit. :downs:

I'm not an electrician, nor do I know anything about wiring, but gently caress how stupid...did they not check their wires or what?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sir_Lagsalot posted:

How much do you wanna bet if the house burned down they'd try to avoid paying out because you calling up complain proves you knew about the problem they didn't fix?

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error

quote:

I'm not an electrician, nor do I know anything about wiring, but gently caress how stupid...did they not check their wires or what?
:clint: *notices the wiring in the house pre-dates being color coded by gauge*
:clint: "You know why they color code wires now? So Mexicans can wire houses."
:clint: *screws up wiring*

The insurance company has actually been really good overall, they've agreed to have me get it fixed and send them the bill. They'll take the cost out of what the 1st guy gets paid. I also plan on writing the licencing board about the electrician.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sir_Lagsalot posted:

:clint: *notices the wiring in the house pre-dates being color coded by gauge*
:clint: "You know why they color code wires now? So Mexicans can wire houses."
:clint: *screws up wiring*

The insurance company has actually been really good overall, they've agreed to have me get it fixed and send them the bill. They'll take the cost out of what the 1st guy gets paid. I also plan on writing the licencing board about the electrician.

If you're going to write the licensing board, take pictures (with a ruler or scale for the wire gauge). Give him as little wriggle room as possible. I loving hate guys that half rear end poo poo that can be dangerous.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/rumpus-cosy-closed-because-sewage-702707

I happen to know someone who lives above this place. The "fix" was jetting the pipes which made the pipes just blow. Apparently that hasn't been solved properly.

quote:

That's raw sewage. And my stove.

They got a cleaning team in! Without uh... without... solving the problem properly, yes. They cleaned the room without cleaning out the electrics.

quote:

Just been up to the flat. Cleaning team is gone - overwhelming smell is now bleach, with an undercurrent of sewage still. Foul water still running freely down one wall - the wall with the trip/breaker switch box on it. It's coming out of the box and running down the wall into the freshly cleaned carpet. No dehumidifier though. I'm assuming because they can't plug one in...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
HOAs.txt:

reddit.com/r/legaladvice posted:

WA. HOA says our indoor pool is an outdoor pool.

HOA bylaws do not allow outdoor pools. Our pool is indoor. There are triple pane glass walls around and above it.

We've been contacted several times and already received threats of fines if we do not remove it. We responded with telling them that this is an indoor pool and even allowed them to come and see it. HOA president says based on his own assessment this qualifies as an outdoor pool. The letter says an indoor pool is defined a pool that is not visible from any outdoor location.

What should we do?

Every room with a window or skylight is now outdoors, apparently.

OP clarifies that the pool was there when they bought the house, it has curtains, and it is on the floorplan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gonna sue the HOA. gently caress them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Run for HOA president and then make life a living hell for the former president by making the existence of his house, driveway, and land illegal.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:aaaaa: make him illegal

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'd like to get a clearer picture of what those are made of, but I suppose the only answer that matters is "not strong enough."

GreenNight posted:

Gonna sue the HOA. gently caress them.

..and make sure that they're sued for every penny they've ever been paid by the homeowner, plus legal costs, plus a bit for just being assholes and wasting the homeowner's time.

edit:

sneakyfrog posted:

:aaaaa: make him illegal
I like that. "We're going to have to assess a fine if you remain living."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Every time I read about HOAs I'm glad they don't really exist here.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
The neighborhood I grew up in was governed by a HOA. My family bought our house before the neighborhood was done and the HOA was a thing so we never signed on to the HOA and were exempt. This did not stop the HOA from trying to enforce their rules on us. My favorite was when they came into our fenced in backyard to take pictures of an "illegal" shed that could not be seen unless you were in the backyard. We went to the meeting as asked for all of the information they had on our shed to include pictures, names of the person or persons who took the pictures, etc... so that we could fill out our police report for trespass. The HOA tried to drop the issue because they realized they had implicated themselves in a criminal act, but my parents kept pushing the issue because at this point it had been years of harassment over many different petty things. The HOA eventually lost in court and was fined enough that they had to dissolve the HOA. We got a letter from the HOA the day they were dissolved telling us we had to replace our grass with a HOA approved variety or face fines, including pictures of the grass in our backyard.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

frozenphil posted:

The neighborhood I grew up in was governed by a HOA. My family bought our house before the neighborhood was done and the HOA was a thing so we never signed on to the HOA and were exempt. This did not stop the HOA from trying to enforce their rules on us. My favorite was when they came into our fenced in backyard to take pictures of an "illegal" shed that could not be seen unless you were in the backyard. We went to the meeting as asked for all of the information they had on our shed to include pictures, names of the person or persons who took the pictures, etc... so that we could fill out our police report for trespass. The HOA tried to drop the issue because they realized they had implicated themselves in a criminal act, but my parents kept pushing the issue because at this point it had been years of harassment over many different petty things. The HOA eventually lost in court and was fined enough that they had to dissolve the HOA. We got a letter from the HOA the day they were dissolved telling us we had to replace our grass with a HOA approved variety or face fines, including pictures of the grass in our backyard.

:3:

the best story.

They keep trying to form one around here and im pretty much like lol :fuckoff: every time they come by.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

frozenphil posted:

My fight wasn't that good, but I did get to use Google street view to show, that no we had not added that edging and in fact was there when we moved in. So glad Google timestamps all of their photos.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The problem with suing your HOA is that they can assess their legal fees on residents, so you can indirectly be paying both sides.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Darchangel posted:

I'd like to get a clearer picture of what those are made of
Graham crackers, apparently.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Midnight Voyager posted:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/rumpus-cosy-closed-because-sewage-702707

I happen to know someone who lives above this place. The "fix" was jetting the pipes which made the pipes just blow. Apparently that hasn't been solved properly.

They got a cleaning team in! Without uh... without... solving the problem properly, yes. They cleaned the room without cleaning out the electrics.

I will bet you this is either nappies or tampons being flushed and blocking a single waste that the whole building runs into or something along those lines.

Plus obviously incompetent work by whoever was "fixing" the problem there because jfc who tries to resolve a blockage on that scale by just blasting the pipes?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
TBH if I could get our co-op board to mandate that everyone had to use the same (not ugly) curtains I’d be over the moon. Co-ops and HOAs get a bad rap on here but they can be a force for good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I will bet you this is either nappies or tampons being flushed and blocking a single waste that the whole building runs into or something along those lines.

Sounds like someone needs a Muffin Monster™

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

drgitlin posted:

TBH if I could get our co-op board to mandate that everyone had to use the same (not ugly) curtains I’d be over the moon. Co-ops and HOAs get a bad rap on here but they can be a force for good.

If you think enforcing matching curtains is a 'force for good' I hope you never have a seat on an HOA.

My parents actually formed one themselves, but it's only role was to deal with garbage dumping in public areas and repaving the streets that the city refused to bother with. There's one in their current place that just maintains the community pool and does beach cleanup.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

drgitlin posted:

What type of curtains are so bad that you feel the need to have a rule outlawing them and why don't you just not look at them instead?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is art.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Plus obviously incompetent work by whoever was "fixing" the problem there because jfc who tries to resolve a blockage on that scale by just blasting the pipes?

Apparently they've decided the whole thing is safe to inhabit now! Even though the electrics are still full of piss and sewage is still running out of the wall.

This is gonna be a long, annoying trek to getting this place fixed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

tell me more about that muffin monster

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

I want to move into your co-op just to put ugly curtains in my windows now.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Variable 5 posted:

I want to move into your co-op just to put ugly curtains in my windows now.

Not empty-quoting this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh no it's totally cool and good for your neighbors to have the legal and financial power to enforce their arbitrary standards of taste upon you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
It’s not like I’ll even see them because I’ll just put my pretty curtains up behind the outside-facing ones