Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'm not sure how I feel about an npc army getting competitive rules. Dying in droves was cinematic and fluffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hixson posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about an npc army getting competitive rules. Dying in droves was cinematic and fluffy

:siren: Cruddance account spotted :siren:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone aside from chutche2 wanna give me a cupola SM army building tips?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

You probably want some lascannons. And assault cannons. Assault marines, while sharing one word with the cannons, are trash. I disagree that tac squads without transports are bad, a 5 man squad with a lascannon is a decent backfield objective camper. Leviathan dreads are really good. Tanks, dreads, and other vehicles in general are good. You're raven guard, so given how good your chapter tactic is I'd lean towards getting dreads over tanks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah ironically the best thing for stealthy Raven Guard to field is gunline dreads, and the arguably best candidate for their stealthy infiltrate strategem is Assault Centurions.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

mango sentinel posted:

bobby g and three ravens with scouts to do some turn one zoning before they all die

Outside of that, some sort of chapter master/LT combo with ravens and scouts

razorspam is next good with reroll bubbles

You can do a worse version with ravenguard aggressors but it's not very fun if you go second, at least the ravens are mobile and bobby can murder most things he touches to get out of the corner or whatever

basically the good stuff in the marine book is rerolling bubbles with dense shooting models, scouts for zone control, libbys on bikes for null zone, and maybe a couple of probably jump characters to abuse the relic chain sword and/or the swing twice stratgem with a thunderhammer

If the reroll bubbles get nerfed marines will be probably the third worst army in the game.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How are Venerable Dreads if I don't want to drop cash on Leviathans?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

If the reroll bubbles get nerfed marines will be probably the third worst army in the game.

In your opinion, what's the current ranking/tiering look like, and where do you think New Tyranids(tm) will fall out?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

mango sentinel posted:

If you use a chapter master reroll bubble the extra price over regular dreads aren't really worth it, otherwise they're nice. 8 wounds is pretty fragile though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Pretty solid. WS 2+ / BS 2+ is a nice bonus and you can actually scoot and shoot without losing too much accuracy. Beyond that, they're a T7 W8 platform with a feel no pain roll. They're solid, but nothing particularly special. It's nice that they don't degrade at all, but they can be two-shot by anti-tank weapons fairly easily.

Dreadnoughts should be T8. :colbert:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

mango sentinel posted:

I haven't tried it, but I have heard good things. You might be better off with regular dreadnaughts if they are paling around with Guilliman. If I had the models I'd be all about trying to do a Dreadnaught parking lot, which has the benefit of not being as vulnerable as Razorbacks to getting stuck in combat, and can kick a few guys while they are at it. The downside is dreads aren't as point efficient or mobile as Razors, and you can't get twin assault cannons on them either, which is really the reason Razors are so gross.

They also had the added benefit on not degrading like Razorbacks. I wouldn't recommend Vens as a substitute for Leviathans simply because half of what makes a Leviathan so great is its durability, something vens don't get.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

mango sentinel posted:

Lascannon/ML vendreads parked in your backfield are fantastic. They're pretty cheap, durable at that range especially if you have 2 or 3, can be healed by a cheapo Techmarine, benefit from Raven Guard tactic.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm basically hosed as an SM player because I don't want Guilliman, which I already knew.
Means I'm well positioned if they ever nerf him though. :)

:negative:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
You can totally do twin AC if you go with mortis dreads

But yeah marines are all about reroll bubbles and ven dreads are paying a lot of extra points for not much benefit if it's rerolling

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

In your opinion, what's the current ranking/tiering look like, and where do you think New Tyranids(tm) will fall out?

Probably better than craftworld, even after the alleged smite nerf because of the ease of having little guys for board control. It'll be hard to be chaos good, but I think they will be probably comparable to guard. Big gun line duders with a lot of forward little guys. Big bugs moving forward seems like it'll probably be a trap since they will get ahead of their defensive bubbles and can get torn down with midrange shooting and countercharges.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I'm basically hosed as an SM player because I don't want Guilliman, which I already knew.
Means I'm well positioned if they ever nerf him though. :)

:negative:

Play Shrike/Pedro/lysnader/Dante/Azeral and a LT then. It's not as good but at least you are out of ultras.

Honestly DA is probably the next best just for the 4++ and -1 hit bubbles.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Naramyth posted:

Play Shrike/Pedro/lysnader/Dante/Azeral and a LT then. It's not as good but at least you are out of ultras.

It's kinda lame that Lysander is a reroll 1s instead of reroll hits character.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

It's kinda lame that Lysander is a reroll 1s instead of reroll hits character.

You play Crimson Fists anyways, don't you? Pedro Kantor seems pretty solid.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

You play Crimson Fists anyways, don't you? Pedro Kantor seems pretty solid.

Right, I didn't complain about Kantor. Just think it's lame that most of the others reroll hits but the fists don't. But then not all of the chapters even get a character.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Probably better than craftworld

If you mix craftworld and ynnari detachments, the stratagems compliment strength from death quite nicely. I play against a Magnus/Renegades list with 8ish malefic lords, 6 mortars and 3 basilisks a couple times a week and I haven't lost since the point reductions.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
Did somebody say venerable?

I may go back and do a bunch of tiny writing and maltese crosses on the parchment, tidy up highlights etc...at some point.

Painting up Venerable Brother Thaddeus has also made me go and buy the chaplain dread, just so he has a buddy to stomp around with.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

chutche2 posted:

Right, I didn't complain about Kantor. Just think it's lame that most of the others reroll hits but the fists don't. But then not all of the chapters even get a character.

Lysander is the first / third company captain, depending on the time frame. The chapter master runs around in power armor with a thunder hammer in each hand.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

TWSS posted:

If you mix craftworld and ynnari detachments, the stratagems compliment strength from death quite nicely. I play against a Magnus/Renegades list with 8ish malefic lords, 6 mortars and 3 basilisks a couple times a week and I haven't lost since the point reductions.

What do your lists look like?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Lysander is the first / third company captain, depending on the time frame. The chapter master runs around in power armor with a thunder hammer in each hand.

Does anybody even know the chapter master's name?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Does anybody even know the chapter master's name?
Vladimir Pugh was the last one I knew of. Maybe that's changed since.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

DeceasedHorse posted:

What do your lists look like?

++ Outrider Detachment (CP +1) (Aeldari_Unified) [565 Pts] ++

+ HQ +

The Yncarne [337 Pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Shining Spears [80 Pts]: Shining Spear Exarch, Star Lance
. 2x Shining Spear: 2x Laser Lance

Swooping Hawks [68 Pts]: Hawk's Talon, Swooping Hawk Exarch
. 4x Swooping Hawk: 4x Lasblaster

++ Battalion (CP +3) (Aeldari_Unified) [906 Pts] ++

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [64 Pts]: Dire Avenger Exarch
. 4x Dire Avenger: 4x Avenger Shuriken Catapult
. Two Avenger Catapults: 2x Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Guardian Defenders [190 Pts]: 20x Guardian, 2x Heavy Weapon Platform, 2x Shuriken Cannon

Guardian Defenders [80 Pts]: 10x Guardian

+ Elites +

Shadow Spectres [69 Pts]
. 3x Shadow Spectre: 3x Prism Rifle

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner [140 Pts]: Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Yvraine [132 Pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [231 Pts]: Dark Reaper Exarch, Shuriken Cannon
. 8x Dark Reaper: 8x Reaper Launcher

++ Patrol (CP +0) (Aeldari_Unified) [369 Pts] ++

+ HQ +

Warlock [35 Pts]: Witchblade

+ Flyer +

Hemlock Wraithfighter [200 Pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [134 Pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon

+ 'Faction +

Craftworlds - Alaitoc

++ Total: [1840 Pts] ++

This was the last list I ran, webway strike on the guardian blob with the farseer skyrunner doing a zoom and doom was really effective.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

TWSS posted:

++ Outrider Detachment (CP +1) (Aeldari_Unified) [565 Pts] ++

+ HQ +

The Yncarne [337 Pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Swooping Hawks [68 Pts]: Hawk's Talon, Swooping Hawk Exarch
. 4x Swooping Hawk: 4x Lasblaster

++ Battalion (CP +3) (Aeldari_Unified) [906 Pts] ++

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [64 Pts]: Dire Avenger Exarch
. 4x Dire Avenger: 4x Avenger Shuriken Catapult
. Two Avenger Catapults: 2x Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Guardian Defenders [190 Pts]: 20x Guardian, 2x Heavy Weapon Platform, 2x Shuriken Cannon

Guardian Defenders [80 Pts]: 10x Guardian

+ Elites +

Shadow Spectres [69 Pts]
. 3x Shadow Spectre: 3x Prism Rifle

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner [140 Pts]: Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Yvraine [132 Pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [231 Pts]: Dark Reaper Exarch, Shuriken Cannon
. 8x Dark Reaper: 8x Reaper Launcher

++ Patrol (CP +0) (Aeldari_Unified) [369 Pts] ++

+ HQ +

Warlock [35 Pts]: Witchblade

+ Flyer +

Hemlock Wraithfighter [200 Pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [134 Pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon

+ 'Faction +

Craftworlds - Alaitoc

++ Total: [1840 Pts] ++

This was the last list I ran, webway strike on the guardian blob with the farseer skyrunner doing a zoom and doom was really effective.

How are you getting min size Shining Spear squads for 80pts? My codex says 95. Might need to check if that's off an app/listbuilder program.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Safety Factor posted:

Vladimir Pugh was the last one I knew of. Maybe that's changed since.

It’s the utterly forgettable Vorn Hagen now.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Genghis Cohen posted:

How are you getting min size Shining Spear squads for 80pts? My codex says 95. Might need to check if that's off an app/listbuilder program.

He's not counting the 15 points from the twin shuriken catapults on the bikes.

EDIT: Also, a Hemlock Wraithfighter is 210, not 200. You have to spend 10 points on the Spirit Stones. See FAQ of Imperium I for precedent on this.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Genghis Cohen posted:

EDIT: oops

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Okay, the list builder is definitely wrong, but I actually had 1840 instead of 1850 to account for the spirit stones on the Hemlock.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

TWSS posted:

18 pts for a shining spear
8 pts for laser lance
10 points for star lance
18+18+18+8+8+10=80

18 pts for a shining spear
8 pts for laser lance
10 points for star lance
5 points fo shuriken catapults

18+18+18+8+8+10+5+5+5=95

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
My Eldar trip report from club night - Eldar are great.

Played a 2k game against a mostly guard, some blood angels imperium player (Armageddon guard with 3 chimaeras, 2 hellhound/devil dog like things and 2 anti tank specced russes, one of which was a commander, then a bunch of guard units, and a patrol of two scout squads and a terminator librarian). I fielded a slightly modified version of the brigade list I posted back in the thread, changing the banshee unit to MSU, swapping the scorpions for another MSU banshee squad and using spare points to swap the night spinner to a fire prism and the warlock with singing spear to a spiritseer.

Game ended on turn 6 with me tabling my opponent (though due to some tactical errors on my part I would have lost if game had ended on 5, though I had a cmd point saved and it was my roll so it was only 1/9). Some thoughts:

- Fire prisms are great. Mine parked at the back of the table next to my Autarch and spewed hot laser death. Focused beam averaging four shots sitting in a reroll bubble is some nasty stuff.
- The Biel Tan trait is really, really good. Rerolling shuriken shots is a great incremental bonus, and the +1 leadership on aspect warriors played way better than it sounded on paper - it effectively meant that my opponent had to allocate firepower to wiping out every last one of my small aspect warrior units (of which I had 7 in the bit of my army that went to fight on the front line) to the last elf.
- banshees are great. They don’t kill anything, but a squad of five multi-charging into tank lines to deny turns of shooting is a bargain use of points.
- webway strike is pretty much exactly as good as it looks. The game kicked off with my wraithguard striding out of the webway and wiping out the leman russ commander in a single turn,. My guardians had a bit of a bad run, but i think the theory of dropping them in and then putting on celestial shroud to demand a high price in shooting to shift them is sound, but my pretty good first turn of shooting was balanced out by me being utterly unable to roll saving throws for my opponents first one, and the guardians died horribly.
- Phoenix gem is a trap choice in any sort of “fire base” army and so to an extent is Fate’s messenger. When I take the army out again I’d swap my autarch to the falcon wing relic and the Biel Tan warlord trait so he can redeploy quickly to where his bubble plus Biel Tan warlord power rerolls were needed.
- I backed out of taking any of the new powers on my farseer and honestly don’t regret it. I had fortune/doom, and ended up using doom/smite on most turns. If any of the others were going to be useful I’d say it would have been executioner, probably instead of Fortune, as you have lots of high value targets so if you fortune one your opponents just shoots another. I think there would potentially be mileage now in having an “attack” farseer on a jet bike to go with the front lines with executioner/doom and a standard guide/fortune one to stay with the firebase. Jinx/protect on the spiritseer was nice for the first two turns until things were close enough for smite time though, but I might have got more use out of quicken/restrain.
- I could and should have gotten some good mileage out of “Runes of witnessing”.
- I still need to remember that I can shield discharge with serpents - I could have very nearly guaranteed the win even with a t5 finish if I had.

The army seems super good overall - the fact that you can just vomit units onto the battlefield now and (especially with Biel Tan shuriken rerolls) every single one of them threatens to do some amount of damage if left unanswered is incredible.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Tyranids were easily one of the stronger index armies and their codex looks loving terrifying

My best friend and my main ham-slam opponent is a Tyranid player and he's generally beating me two-thirds of the time and I think this is going to ensure that I am never going to win again

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Wait wait wait... If Tyranids are good does that mean...

* Waits until midnight *

* Stares into mirror *

BROKEN LOOSE
BROKEN LOOSE
BROKEN LOOSE

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
My store does their 40k Armies on Parade this coming Saturday. I just got it to a point where I'm happy with it. The positioning of the squads isn't really set other than the three tanks, so if anyone has input on that its welcome. I've got quite a bit of other options to replace stuff.

Album with the WIPs:
https://imgur.com/a/3PUQc

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TKIY posted:

Wait wait wait... If Tyranids are good does that mean...

* Waits until midnight *

* Stares into mirror *

BROKEN LOOSE
BROKEN LOOSE
BROKEN LOOSE

The legends, they...they can’t be true!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That is a fantastic display, I especially like the Sevrin Loth Jump-Librarian conversion.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's an awesome display, and those Blood Angels look amazing. I think the way you positioned it is perfect. My only advice is mash down those tufts on the sides a bit, because grass or bushes don't naturally stick straight up, they grow out along the sides some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Im surprised we haven't seen more of this. I remember a guy having a pretty vicious list at ATC.