Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yep new Strike back looks like it's going to deliver the goods. First ep was action packed, new characters are ok, plenty of room to grow. Also the old show filmed in a variety of locations so I expect the new one to as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Solid return. The team is legit.

The two chicks are awesome, Aussie chick hasn't called anyone a oval office yet though... my immersion!!

Same theme tune. The English guy is from my hometown too. I like how they set the tone for the bare arsed Aussie playing an American again, buddy.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 1, 2017

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
re: Ray Donovan, Showtime seems to not know the difference between shows that are extremely expensive and look rich, and shows that are actually good. With the notable recent exception of Twin Peaks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

Yep new Strike back looks like it's going to deliver the goods. First ep was action packed, new characters are ok, plenty of room to grow. Also the old show filmed in a variety of locations so I expect the new one to as well

There was a suitable amount of 'splosions and goons getting shot, I'm on board, but it feels like it might be more of the regular structured tv rather than self contained 90 minute movie chunks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

try the new taco place posted:

re: Ray Donovan, Showtime seems to not know the difference between shows that are extremely expensive and look rich, and shows that are actually good. With the notable recent exception of Twin Peaks.

This is true of an awful lot of television (and viewers, tbh.) Showtime's just particularly guilty of it -- they should be kicking themselves for passing on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but they're probably not.

I also think the reverse is true -- I think people are often guilty of passing on a show because it looks cheap, or argue that a show is good or looks good despite it's (apparent) budget. It's something I see a lot in conversations about science-fiction series, and get frustrated by. Most shows, particularly shows that use a lot of CGI imaging, like science-fiction, generally end up looking less sophisticated as they age and industry standards increase. It doesn't mean that they're suddenly terrible shows. I mean, as long as the imaging isn't ludicrous, what's the harm?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 1, 2017

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

try the new taco place posted:

I mean, it's definitely not only Showtime. I'm trying to watch Tin Star on Amazon and this is the worst "Difficult Man prestige drama" I've ever seen.

Quite frankly, there's not enough writing and creative talent to support all these channels.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah Tin Star seemed ok at first but it's just paint by the number anti-hero TV. Oh look he did some bad stuff but what? He's trying to cover it up by lying to his family, I wonder what's gonna happen.

I guess I'm just sick of drama that springs from characters lying to their family members and the tension and conflict coming from the family figuring out the lies.

Speaking of "sick"

She's thirteen you weridos

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People were also creeping on Natalie Portman when she was 12 including the french guy Luc Besson

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sexulization of teen celebrities has always been, and continues to be, a huge issue. Calling Millie Bobby Brown sexy is super hosed up for sure. She's what, 13? Christ.

And the Natalie Portman/Leon thing could have been even more hosed up--in early drafts of the film, Mathilda was supposed to have sex with Leon, with her initiating it. Thankfully that didn't make it to filming.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is true of an awful lot of television (and viewers, tbh.) Showtime's just particularly guilty of it -- they should be kicking themselves for passing on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but they're probably not.

I also think the reverse is true -- I think people are often guilty of passing on a show because it looks cheap, or argue that a show is good or looks good despite it's (apparent) budget. It's something I see a lot in conversations about science-fiction series, and get frustrated by. Most shows, particularly shows that use a lot of CGI imaging, like science-fiction, generally end up looking less sophisticated as they age and industry standards increase. It doesn't mean that they're suddenly terrible shows. I mean, as long as the imaging isn't ludicrous, what's the harm?

People demanding shows filmed in 4:3 either slice off the top and bottom of the frame or fill the sides with open matte garbage that may or may not show staff and equipment because the most important thing is filling up every pixel of your TV.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Speaking of "sick"

gently caress these people.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 4 of Fringe really bugged me. I thought it was a perfectly fine show until then -- with some really great stuff in Season 3. But their set-up for four made me actively angry. I just have absolutely no idea what the writers room was thinking.

(And the third season finale is incredibly poor too.)

My favorite part of Season 3 is how the First People were actually Walter and Peter chucking poo poo they would need into a wormhole. I hate that whole "ancient technology" plot point poo poo so that had me actually laughing with glee when it was revealed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mmm Evan Rachel Wood.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

And the Natalie Portman/Leon thing could have been even more hosed up--in early drafts of the film, Mathilda was supposed to have sex with Leon, with her initiating it. Thankfully that didn't make it to filming.

The subtext in the movie was readily apparent and I thought it was intended to be uncomfortable and creepy, I didn't know he wanted to take it that far, yeeeech.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luc Besson's wife was 15 when they started dating, he was 32.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

Mmm Evan Rachel Wood.

She's over 18 you loving weirdo.

So there's another Spacey accuser. This isn't going away and he might be facing a massive backlash.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

it gets worse

quote:

Maïwenn gave birth to their daughter when she was 16.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

it gets worse

France...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bobby Moynihan probably wishes he stayed at SNL, because CBS just cancelled his show after 6 episodes. Man With a Plan coming back early to give those CBS viewers what they want.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

The subtext in the movie was readily apparent and I thought it was intended to be uncomfortable and creepy, I didn't know he wanted to take it that far, yeeeech.

Yeah I mean it seemed like a pretty good way to handle the situation, with Leon being like "uh this is super obviously wrong and weird, child".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Yeah I mean it seemed like a pretty good way to handle the situation, with Leon being like "uh this is super obviously wrong and weird, child".

It is.

But there are also a lot of subtextual (and textual) clues that Leon himself is emotionally a child. So the scene in question (which I am against and glad they didn't do) would have been thematically about 2 children.

Ew.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

less laughter posted:

it gets worse

It gets worser:

He met her when she was twelve.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A big thing to realize is that having respect for women and not treating pubescent children as sex objects are reletively recent developments. Like, within the last century. This sort of poo poo is obviously super terrible and gross, but it's been normalized for a super long time. Maybe normalized is the wrong word... not been considered anyone elses business. Like sure, a hundred years ago there were plenty of people who would say dating a 13 year old was gross, but also if they saw someone else doing it, they wouldn't really have grounds to do anything about it.

Just look at age of consent laws. Around the turn of the last century (1900), age of consent in Delaware was 7. SEVEN.

In Spain, it was 12 until 1999, when it was raised to THIRTEEN.

But don't worry, in 2015, they raised it to 16.

In Canada, it was 14 until 2008 when they raised it to 16.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Davros1 posted:

It gets worser:

He met her when she was twelve.

I know there isn't any actual answer to this, but what the gently caress would a 30 year old and 12 year old even have in common to talk about? "Hi honey how was middle school, I sure had a rough day at the movie factory today and I need to pay my taxes, want to watch some my little pony after I balance my checkbook?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

I know there isn't any actual answer to this, but what the gently caress would a 30 year old and 12 year old even have in common to talk about? "Hi honey how was middle school, I sure had a rough day at the movie factory today and I need to pay my taxes, want to watch some my little pony after I balance my checkbook?"

Uh, hate to break this to you...

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

zoux posted:

Speaking of "sick"

She's thirteen you weridos

Yeah, i feel really bad for her because she just seems like a kid having fun with being famous but she is hitting an age where a bizarre amount people feel ok with making creepy as gently caress comments about how good looking she is/is becoming.

This is the sort of thing that turns young actresses lives into utter car crashes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, i feel really bad for her because she just seems like a kid having fun with being famous but she is hitting an age where a bizarre amount people feel ok with making creepy as gently caress comments about how good looking she is/is becoming.

This is the sort of thing that turns young actresses lives into utter car crashes.

I'm sure her parents have Emma Watson's parents on speed dial for poo poo like that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, Hulu is dumb. Not only is Chance back for season 2, it's already 6 episodes deep. And yet Hulu didn't bother to tell me, even though I watched season 1.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Man, Hulu is dumb. Not only is Chance back for season 2, it's already 6 episodes deep. And yet Hulu didn't bother to tell me, even though I watched season 1.

yeah, it's real dumb. It prepares a "feed" for you that is totally unrelated to what you watch. To get things related to what you watch, you have to go 2 tabs over to "continue watching". It's dumb as gently caress.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
She's just headed down the line that was stated with the Disney child actor to sex symbol track that they've followed for years, helps make parents feel extra creepy when Miley Cyrus grinds away.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

I posted the same thing about it here when I find out three episodes were out. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

She's just headed down the line that was stated with the Disney child actor to sex symbol track that they've followed for years, helps make parents feel extra creepy when Miley Cyrus grinds away.

I think it's worse in Miley Cyrus' case because she is actively playing into it. She has wild orgies with Wayne Coyne and calls him "daddy" :barf:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She's 24, let her live her life imo. Also still engaged to Liam Hemsworth afaik, she seems pretty chill lately.

But yeah the whole sex symbol thing Disney and Nick stars get fast tracked to is p creepy. Cyrus at least hasn't been involved with Disney for a while now.

e: i like Cyrus a lot these days tbh, with her give no gently caress attitude. she's been a great gay ally too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chloe Grace Moretz was the last overly sexualized child star I can recall, I think she turned out alright. That one legendary creepshot not withstanding.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's been some dubious rumours around Dan Schneider for a few years now, haven't there? He's the guy behind all those Nickelodeon shows like iCarly, Zoey 101, Victorious etc. My sister used to like them. All I know about them is that when I used to look at TV Tropes all those shows had pages that were far more detailed than a sitcom for 10-year olds probably should be on a site frequented mainly by male nerds in their mid-20s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

She's 24, let her live her life imo

The stuff with Wayne Coyne started 5 years ago, so... yeah.

But I mean you're right, I'm more grossed out by Coyne (for other reasons that have come out in the past 5 years as well). If she's happy, that's cool.

e: I mean, people give me poo poo for being 42 and married to a 23 year old. When Miley/Coyne started, she was 18/19 and he was 50.

precision fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 1, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Well there's like Ariana Grande/etc too, but a lot of these girls seem to be getting out of the Nick/Disney machine first before getting all sexual.

I actually can't think of a time Cyrus was sexualised while at Disney, Hannah Montana was pretty wholesome. The quick shift in her music career and image after HM tho I imagine was very weird for parents of young fans.

e: yeah that wayne stuff is skeazy af if it was that long ago. at least she wasn't ~18.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So there's another Spacey accuser. This isn't going away and he might be facing a massive backlash.

I was in the supermarket earlier this evening and one of the tabloids had a side bar in which Kevin Spacey's brother, Randall Fowler, was quoted as saying he had no idea any of this had happened, but he wasn't entirely surprised because he said their father was a "Nazi child rapist" who sexually abused him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't pay enough attention to say for sure (thank God) but yeah, my impression isn't that they're especially sexualized at Disney. It kind of seems to be the reverse to me. Disney pushes the wholesome thing so much that when they branch out and grow up a little they end up with overly sexualized images to overcompensate. And then that plays against the still wholesome Disney image and everything is super creepy.

That and there are just creepy perverts who have always and will always be gross creeps about celebrity teenage girls. And some of them probably work at Disney and in the pop music industry.

• Locked thread