Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Good thing I was still wearing my PL belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Doing curls while staring at yourself in the mirror is one of life's great joys.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sassassin posted:

Doing curls while staring at yourself in the mirror is one of life's great joys.

superset curls and overhead tricep extensions and try not to give yourself a boner

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Got 5 reps of 325 AMRAP squats. Now I'm hoping for the sweet embrace of death before I finish this 5x10 deadlift set.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Kroc rows on the dumbbell rack but take the heaviest dumbbell to the spot where everyone needs dumbbells.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kelp Me! posted:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing sets with increasing weight and decreasing reps during the same workout? like 1x10 @ 70%, 1x8 at 75%, 1x6 at 80%, etc.

I've got this issue with my squats and bench where I can do 10 reps at, for example, 105lb, but can barely finish 5 reps at 115lb, and I'm trying to break past that. Been stuck at the same super-low weights on those 2 exercises for a few weeks now.
If you just want to lift higher weights, go to a site like http://warmupreps.com and put in your target reps and weight.

You're probably losing reps at higher weights doing reps at lower weights in the same session, prior to heavier weights.

There's nothing wrong with doing it the way you are doing it, but you have to understand that doing volume at >50% of your max is generally going to impact your ability to lift heavier weights unless you are resting a whole lot.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 1, 2017

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Sludge Tank posted:

Good thing I was still wearing my PL belt

Next time wear an armblaster

Also the whole only train main lifts/ never do legs poo poo is getting boring and outdated.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
hello friends. My knee is feeling great still lately and I'm moving my squat along. However, when the weight gets heavy I tend to good morning it up, which frequently is quad weakness. Makes sense, I've always been fairly posterior dominant, and the only other lower body stuff I've been doing is like romanians and leg curls. My main squat day doesn't have much stuff taking it up, what do you guys suggest I add in? I tried some leg presses tonight, they were okay. I'd like to eventually add front squats of course, but I figure I should wait a bit to make sure my knee is actually going to agree with all this before I add that in. Or maybe I could and just do lighter front squats.

I could try lunges again, I suck at them but I honestly felt them more in my glutes. Perhaps some goblet squats? Maybe even goblet squats and leg presses.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
How do you good morning up a squat? Sounds like theres an issue with your bar path, post a form video

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Goblet squats are great, definitely do those before trying front squats, just easier to do.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Helios Grime posted:

Next time wear an armblaster

Also the whole only train main lifts/ never do legs poo poo is getting boring and outdated.

There's a dude, probably in his early 40s, at my gym that brings one of these and it's totally awesome IMO.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Helios Grime posted:

What is your definition of a main lift if you mean "never do legs"?!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

How do you good morning up a squat? Sounds like theres an issue with your bar path, post a form video

It's a common issue, it just means your hips rise a bit faster than your chest, not a full good morning though. that's the body putting itself in a position to use your posterior chain to finish the lift

edit: I'll get one soon. It only happens when the weight gets heavy so I'll try and get a heavy triple on vid or something. I have one from a month or so ago in the form check thread when I first started squatting regularly again, no one ever commented on it though. And it's probably worthless now, I've more in the groove and my squat probably doesn't look like that anymore.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 1, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Are you low-bar or high-bar?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I do low bar, but I use a fairly narrow stance for it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I had a similar problem with lowbar. I found I was good-morning-ing a lot on my heavy sets. I've been loving around trying different stances and widths and I'm still not 100% confident with it but it's slowly getting there. I have very long legs so I kind of have to lean forward to keep the bar over my foot which increases my propensity to lean forward, it's a really poo poo handicap to have. I don't know if that could be a contributing problem for you. Squat mechanics are really variable from person to person as I'm slowly learning

in any case, I found the best cue to try and fix this was tp open my hips up as much as possible in the bottom of the squat and more importantly focus on keeping my chest upwards and driving up with my chest as well as my rear end. Consciously thinking about my chest helped a lot in fighting the good morning problem.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I was driving my back into the bar and it helped a lot. I don't think it was bad, it was just something I noticed my body trying to do. Even if I just need to squat more, I do have mostly hamstring stuff as my accessories(this supposedly is good for your knees, stuff like leg curls), so my quads probably need a little love regardless.

e: FWIW my legs are a little short with a longer torso for a 6'1 dude. I've experimented a bunch as well, and my heels slightly outside shoulder width with my toes about 15 degrees out is my most comfortable stance. I may try that hybrid squat Candito does and place the bar a little bit higher up.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 1, 2017

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Goblet squats!!!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I think I'll do the goblets. I want to eventually get back into front squatting anyway and I think goblet squats are probably the best lead in to that. Plus they murder my abs way more than heavy deads/squats(which I honestly don't feel all that much, other than the effort of bracing)

Also does anyone else do weighted planks? I managed to get up to 1:00 with a 35 on my back. I really hate doing them though but it feels like they work well

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Sludge Tank posted:

What is your definition of a main lift if you mean "never do legs"?!

I ment it as a divider. The people that only swear on squats, bench and DL, as well as the people that only train upper body are both dumb (I'm talking general populace).

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Powerlifting and strength training are two different things which a lot of entry level powerlifters seem to forget. Not everyone wants to weigh 190kg and only ever be able to sleep on their backs so they dont choke under their own mass

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sludge Tank posted:

Powerlifting and strength training are two different things which a lot of entry level powerlifters seem to forget. Not everyone wants to weigh 190kg and only ever be able to sleep on their backs so they dont choke under their own mass

I mean powerlifting has weight categories other than "Superheavyweight chicken nugget people"

If you are actually trying to meet a weight you want to be as skinny as possible for MAXIMUM MUSCLE MASS

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's a common issue, it just means your hips rise a bit faster than your chest, not a full good morning though. that's the body putting itself in a position to use your posterior chain to finish the lift

edit: I'll get one soon. It only happens when the weight gets heavy so I'll try and get a heavy triple on vid or something. I have one from a month or so ago in the form check thread when I first started squatting regularly again, no one ever commented on it though. And it's probably worthless now, I've more in the groove and my squat probably doesn't look like that anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy-QLl-o2PM&t=293s

Good morning-type issues for me had a lot to do with not being balanced during my descent, or not staying balanced on the drive up. And it sorta works opposite how you think it would. You're leaning forward too much so you figure you must try to lean back more right? Well, if you do that early in the squat and knock yourself out of balance, then you're coming forward at some point whether you like it or not because the weight wants to find center.

I think JS squat videos helped me identify a lot of issues in my form. You can post a form video in the form check thread if you want but nobody loving replies in it.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I've been reading some articles on this site: http://nattyornot.com/ and find it pretty interesting and enlightening. The site basically shits on the whole fitness industry, and tries to put everything in perspective for naturals in a world with distorted perceptions thanks to Hollywood, photoshopped magazine covers and dudes on TRT, HGH, Tren, Captain America serum, etc, walking around. Of course, my whole life is filled with failure and bad decisions, so naturally I'm more susceptible to this kind of propaganda, but would like to know what you guys think of it.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Otakufag posted:

I've been reading some articles on this site: http://nattyornot.com/ and find it pretty interesting and enlightening. The site basically shits on the whole fitness industry, and tries to put everything in perspective for naturals in a world with distorted perceptions thanks to Hollywood, photoshopped magazine covers and dudes on TRT, HGH, Tren, Captain America serum, etc, walking around. Of course, my whole life is filled with failure and bad decisions, so naturally I'm more susceptible to this kind of propaganda, but would like to know what you guys think of it.

That website is pathetically taking advantage of people like you. It swings way to far in the "no one is natural" direction. It's the Jason Blaha of websites.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Dum Cumpster posted:

That website is pathetically taking advantage of people like you. It swings way to far in the "no one is natural" direction. It's the Jason Blaha of websites.

I’m reading his ranting, disjointed article on why carbs are bad for you (but fats aren’t, and I quite, because ‘they protect your teeth’). This guy is an imbecile.

Edit: hahahahaha, and another is called ‘the ultimate red pill for naturals’.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 1, 2017

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Dum Cumpster posted:

Couldn't say it better.

Also I find it funny that he is making GBS threads on the whole industry for lying but turns around telling you to buy his book cause it is the one true gospel.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Helios Grime posted:

Couldn't say it better.

Also I find it funny that he is making GBS threads on the whole industry for lying but turns around telling you to buy his book cause it is the one true gospel.

Ur just saying that because you bought into the LIES of the industry (im telling the truths they don’t want you to hear)/ur just juicin’ (delete as appropriate)

Really, any website that goes on about how everything mainstream is a lie, and here are the truths THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT should raise some pretty big red flags.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Isn't that all of them?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

He's not wrong that most of the online personas who make it a point to say "I'm clean bro" every time a camera is on are lying shitheads though.

Dat dere CellTech

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

He's not wrong that most of the online personas who make it a point to say "I'm clean bro" every time a camera is on are lying shitheads though.

Dat dere CellTech

Just because he isn't wrong about some points doesn't make his website a-ok.

Come on, he is using "redpill" in a non-ironic way.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
everyone stronger and better looking than me is juicing. everyone weaker worse looking isn’t trying hard enough.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

ham_sanitizer posted:

everyone stronger and better looking than me is juicing. everyone weaker worse looking isn’t trying hard enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
check out the nattyornot subreddit sometime if you want a depressing laugh. People are convinced that 160lbs @ 12% is impossible without steroids and they'll list off all the steroids they think the guy is probably on to bulk up to the impossible natty weight of 160 lean pounds. Benching over 225 also requires steroids as does squatting or deadlift over about 3 and a half plates. It's sad, it's hard to fathom how incapable of progress and adaptation they think the body is.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 1, 2017

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I am made of meat

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am made of skeletons and meat

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
My ex girlfriend recently lost her mind and filed an application for a restraining order against me, accusing me of stalking and harassing her at the gym because I was walking around the track while she was there (I walk around the track for like 20 minutes at the end of every workout). I had to go to court to fight this poo poo and it was obviously thrown out, but still.

Man, dont fuckin talk to me, I'm here to train, i'm not here to stalk.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Don't gently caress where you workout? Or at least make sure who can keep the gym after the break-up beforehand.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i did this for you all

https://youtu.be/GHdzkNB2aLQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Well done goon :shlick: very clean and cool and good squat.

I'm still yet to squat over 160kg but i havent tested my 1RM in about 6 or 7 months and apparently i can squat 190kg according to the 5/3/1 app estimation 1RM calculator but i'll wait till xmas to find out.

How accurate do people generally find these 1rm calculators?