Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

Is the one moon per world that neither talkatoo nor the toad will give hints for something that will be unlocked later, or is it just "go find it without hints"

Are you in the postgame yet?

If not, a whole bunch of poo poo is opened up in the postgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Are you in the postgame yet?

If not, a whole bunch of poo poo is opened up in the postgame.

Yeah I am. Cleaning out worlds one by one I've exhausted two worlds (cascade and sand) with one moon from the list uncollected and no hints for it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Is the one moon per world that neither talkatoo nor the toad will give hints for something that will be unlocked later, or is it just "go find it without hints"

There is a set of moons that have to be unlocked in a chain starting from the desert, otherewise they are off limits. Not every kingdom has one of them however.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm sure some moons can only be obtained when "tourist" NPCs start populating a given Kingdom.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Zuzie posted:

I'm sure some moons can only be obtained when "tourist" NPCs start populating a given Kingdom.

Tangential but what's the deal with the moons where you have to find a cap kingdom person hiding? I've been going around slapping people in the head nonstop but never manage to stumble across any

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Tangential but what's the deal with the moons where you have to find a cap kingdom person hiding? I've been going around slapping people in the head nonstop but never manage to stumble across any

You can see eyes on the back of their hat and you have to talk to them.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

You can see eyes on the back of their hat and you have to talk to them.

Thank you, don't know why my brain defaulted to slapping people upside the head

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Check the backs of their heads. The cap person's eyes are visible there.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really depressing me that the moon giving me the most trouble is 100 jump rope challenge.

Is there any trick to this? I can't even get past 50. The rhythm changing as you speed up gets me killed because Mario inevitably lands right on the rope.

The jump rope was bad, I found volleyball to be way, way worse

Once you break 50 jumps the only real secret is doing small jumps and getting a rhythm. Alternatively, if you can slide a moped in there and get the jumps started successfully, it has more bounce and less downtime on medium to big sized jumps. I think I cracked 70 with the moped, my roommate made the 100 without it after shaking his head at me.

My jump roping might have been less successful but it was way more rad

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I heard that you should jump when you hear the woman go "Yeah" every time she spins the jump-rope.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What do you get from beating Dark Side? I’m going to skip it.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

You usurp peach

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Volleyball is really easy in 2 player mode.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pollyanna posted:

You free the Galaxy from the clutches of the Emperor.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Traxis posted:

Volleyball is really easy in 2 player mode.

2 player mode worth checking out? My girlfriend asked about it but I imagine it's like that mode in Galaxy where P2 just kind of fucks with the environment

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I heard that you should jump when you hear the woman go "Yeah" every time she spins the jump-rope.

this is true. it's just a stupid rhythm game, do it with your eyes closed

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

2 player mode worth checking out? My girlfriend asked about it but I imagine it's like that mode in Galaxy where P2 just kind of fucks with the environment

It's a bit better than that. My wife and I are playing 2 player and I'm really getting used to the crutch of having her be Cappy. Essentially, you can play as normal but at any time, P2 can infinitely fly around as Cappy in a rather large radius around Mario. This makes getting risky purple coins really easy, as well as possessing things. Plus the boss battles are a piece of cake when you just let them go to town. It's not very involved, but for someone like my wife who enjoys watching gameplay more than playing it, it's just enough involvement to be really fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I turn motion controls off, can I still use the spin throw in any way?

e: I'm using a pro controller.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, spin the left stick rapidly until Mario launches into a rapid spin animation, then hit the cap throw button. Takes about half a second longer to execute than the motion-controlled option, but it's a lot more consistent and doesn't gently caress up half the time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yes. Spin the stick in a circle quickly and Mario will spin. Toss your hat while he's spinning and you do the throw.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

First attempt at jump rope ended at 69. I’m never trying again.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Also random but I think the greatest post-game reward is eventually getting really good at advanced moves and blowing your own mind

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

First attempt at jump rope ended at 69. I’m never trying again.

Nice

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im sure this has been talked about here but I started loving around with the Odyssey's globe earlier and maaaaaaan this gaaaaame
https://twitter.com/RosePrinceTrey/status/925819837632282624

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really depressing me that the moon giving me the most trouble is 100 jump rope challenge.

Is there any trick to this? I can't even get past 50. The rhythm changing as you speed up gets me killed because Mario inevitably lands right on the rope.
I was having this exact problem and weirdly I found it easier to look at the rope to figure out the early timing, I could sorta tell if my timing would be off based on how close the rope was skirting Mario's heels. Once you get settled into 50 and the speed stops increasing, I settled into a 1-2 outloud rhythm based on Mario's jumps, just lightly pressing A when Mario's feet hit the ground. It's super tricky but I eventually got better, one time ending a run on 99 jumps but at that point I knew 100 was possible for me, good luck!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 2, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Opened up the 250 and 500 moon areas: wasn't feeling them and I got really frustrated at the Broodals boss rush, so I decided to just youtube the rest of it. Good game!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
In retrospect it's amazing how readily I no sold photo-realistic t-rex just sitting there at face value while playing the first level last night.

OK Mario game, chain chomp, goombas, t-rex, stupid rabbit thing, the stars aren't stars anymore, huh.

Then later while going to bed it kind of occurred to me that a t-rex was a weird thing for a Mario game to have.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
In seaside kingdom there is a fish shadow that I believe represents a moon but I can't find a lakitu and google is showing nothing. Any tips?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hit my first moon I can't seem to get. I think I have the solution, use the petal to guide the bullet bill towards the pillar and then cap it as you float below it to get the extra range before exploding, but I can't seem to get Sand Kingdom "East Pillar". Might just be executing what in
I'm trying, and if so I'm psyched for how demanding some of these post game moons are.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Hit my first moon I can't seem to get. I think I have the solution, use the petal to guide the bullet bill towards the pillar and then cap it as you float below it to get the extra range before exploding, but I can't seem to get Sand Kingdom "East Pillar". Might just be executing what in
I'm trying, and if so I'm psyched for how demanding some of these post game moons are.

For East Pillar jump to the leaning pillars and lead a bill to the north leaning pillar to start as close as possible, then shake the joycons the whole way for maximum speed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

you're overcomplicating it, there's a medium-difficulty way to do it, no really hard stuff required

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does any Wedding Amiibo give you the wedding set, or do you need to scan Mario, Peach, and Bowser to get it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

If you mean the Broodal boss rush, you unlock a king outfit and a bunch of challenge rooms appear.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nephzinho posted:

The really tall pillar? Later on you get a way to get there easily. After you visit the Lost Kingdom.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

If it's the one i'm thinking of just jump from the top of the pyramid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For those struggling with the Broodal boss rush, know that Topper is the only one that is actually difficult. All the other fights are still incredibly easy. The only other thing that tripped me up was Rango bouncing at me so quickly, but you can evade him by just walking in a circle.

So if you can get the Topper fight down you should be able to clear it, and he's the first fight so its easy to practice against him. Also apparently you can leave and grab the max heart hidden on a vegetable outside without the fights resetting. so you can beat Topper, get the max heart to restore any damage, and then do the rest of the bosses.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

So if you can get the Topper fight down you should be able to clear it, and he's the first fight so its easy to practice against him. Also apparently you can leave and grab the max heart hidden on a vegetable outside without the fights resetting. so you can beat Topper, get the max heart to restore any damage, and then do the rest of the bosses.

I scanned a peach amiibo halfway through cause I wasn't willing to deal with the chance of having to re-do this rush over and over

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh god I just learned you can throw your cap and the dogs fetch it for you. :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just started playing this and why doesn't it do the braaap--ba da dada buh duh buhdoo buhdoop when you die I want a refund

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

I just started playing this and why doesn't it do the braaap--ba da dada buh duh buhdoo buhdoop when you die I want a refund

It does when you die in a 2D section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

crisis averted

• Locked thread