Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Dealing with it piecemeal would've at least bought them time and shown that Sero can think smartly on his feet. It's one thing to heroically push someone out of the way of danger, it's another to do that and also mitigate the danger to yourself in the process. Sero did the first, but didn't have the foresight to do the second.

I don't disagree that he should've gotten some credit for what he did, but he for sure didn't do enough to merit a full passing grade.

the noble spirit of self-sacrifice!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sacrifice plays are not a go-to solution

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

EmmyOk posted:

That's why I said he deserves some credit! There's arguably some merit to that ideal, since Midoriya passed the prelims with that spirit. But they're at midterms now, and they should know that's neither the first thing nor the best thing to do. Mineta passed because of it, sure, but they both could've passed if Sero had a bit more foresight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Remember that their homeroom teacher is Aizawa, who has a very low opinion of "save one person then get punked" as a tactic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, Sero spent about five seconds of that fight in a conscious state. What he did helped, but you can't really call what happened teamwork.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

whole goal of the midterm is to overcome your perceived weakness. Bakugou's weakness was teamwork (with midoriya especially) and he overcame that even if he did pass out.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 27, 2017

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Hoping to see more tape spider-man in the next season.

I really don't like mineta as a character. Even with some proper character development, it'd take a whole lot for me to actually want that dude to succeed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ebbyuwu/status/887392641771614208

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

EmmyOk posted:

Interestingly, the show in general never shows self-sacrifice to be particularly useful or noble. Rescuing people, yeah, but not by taking the shot if they can help it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, when the only person who directly praises heroic martyrdom is a severely wounded formerly-Indestructible superhero, it kind of calls his motivations and perspective into question.

It'd be like Superman praising the idea of jumping in front of bullets.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
There's a really negative stigma around recklessness in the series, even if for the good of another. They don't let the students get into the mentality where the ends justify the means and I really like that about it.

Even All Might is a bit concerned about Midoriya taking things too far in the tournament, but he also obviously values that heroic quality in him. The spirit of self sacrifice is what's important, not the sacrifice itself.

As proof, even though he has the most bombastic and tightly contested match in the tournament, no one followed up with Deku for internship. It's implied (and stated by Mineta) that the methods he employed in the fight were the reason why.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Also, IIRC, a few teachers and I think even Gran Torino have called All Might a bad teacher for not specifically quelling that in Midoriya. It's one thing for any of the fully-fledged heroes to drive themselves to that point, but it's not a value they want to reinforce in any of their teaching.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hell, Aizawa specifically calls Deku out on that type of behavior on his first day.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya being so willing throw his body and life away when it really counts without a thought is basically the x-factor he shares with All Might that makes him a great hero.

Sadly it doesn't lend itself to a long, happy life.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He's a little overeager to do it, especially since he's trying to emulate All-Might while not even vaguely approaching his level of power yet. It'll be a good thing once he's The Greatest Hero, but until then, it's more than a bit of a liability.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I do remember that subvdub video earlier talking about how it almost seems implied that once All Might told Deku he could not be a quirkless hero that he may have thought about becoming a hero through martydom.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hmmm https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/925309801722036224?s=09

I'll allow it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

this is the anime thread

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Anime watchers can also appreciate Aizawa Might, main character Kendou, and evil Mineta imo.

Only a couple of parts of the picture reference stuff the anime hasn't gotten to and nothing really spoilery.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I want to watch this spinoff

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jackard posted:

I want to watch this spinoff
It would be absolute madness and I would love every minute of it. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aurora posted:

this is the anime thread

good because i haven't read the freakin manga

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

guess I'm owned

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

good because i haven't read the freakin manga

You should.

You should also enjoy the anime.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I don't know why, but I think I like student Shigaraki the most out of anything here.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

symbolic posted:

I don't know why, but I think I like student Shigaraki the most out of anything here.

Weedy All Might really pulls off the Eraser rags, though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's because Null Might looks good in a scarf and winter clothes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

symbolic posted:

He's reallly excited for school. Good for him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

a kitten posted:

He's reallly excited for school. Good for him.

What if he's got that creepy smile on from that scene at the mall, though? That changes the scene entirely.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SpacePig posted:

What if he's got that creepy smile on from that scene at the mall, though? That changes the scene entirely.

He'll be like that guy from the hero games who has a really suspicious face and powers that have a great potential for evil, but he still wants to be a hero really really badly

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Aizawa not being able to smile like a human kinda makes sense for some reason

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It's Horikoshi so I honestly can't tell, is that from the Scans or was that written in English?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's Horikoshi so I honestly can't tell, is that from the Scans or was that written in English?

Written in English. It's Horikoshi's handwriting.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I haven't watched anything but the fight between All Might and Bakugo, and I gotta tell ya, in that fight? the music sounds alot like the MLB (MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL) segue into commercials.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poltergrift posted:

'Full Cowl' is the official English translation, then. :smugbert:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
https://twitter.com/WeebSimpsons/status/909123030693105665

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PMush Perfect posted:

'Full Cowl' is the official English translation, then. :smugbert:
What does either one even mean? Both are gibberish

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

a cowl is a cloak, he's fully cloaked.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poltergrift posted:

That's what I thought but I wasn't certain. Horikoshi is so awesome.

I won't get into the Cowl argument since it never goes anywhere, but it's 99% a Batman reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jackard posted:

Cowl is a cloak, cowling is the metal around an airplane engine.

• Locked thread