Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
code:
 Yukari: ||||||||
  Fuuka: |||
   Yuko: |||||||
Chihiro: 
 No-One: |||||
Give it a few more hours since it's still remarkably close right now. Definitely cannot say I expected that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
No one deserves to be hanging out with Makoto.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Dr. Fetus posted:

Makoto deserves to be hanging out with no one.

Fixed that for you, and same.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yuko, whatevs

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Yukari gets a date, she called first.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yuko cause why not :v:.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yukari, to be contrary.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yukari, because.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

code:
 Yukari: |||||||||||
  Fuuka: |||
   Yuko: |||||||||
Chihiro: 
 No-One: |||||||
It's still very close, but at least Yukari finally has a lead that isn't constantly becoming a dead-tie with Yuko now. Technically. :v:

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014
Sorry Chihiro, no one likes you.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
We got our Rank 10 out of Chihiro (I think), she's worthless to us now. Now, if P4 was any indication, we may still get something interesting out of maxing Yukari's S. Link...

Or does this even do anything for those?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

Now I'm picturing a Persona game where the protagonists "wear" their Personas like the costumes in those hero shows and it gives them special powers.

That's kind of how Persona 5 works? The only explicit power of the outfits persona users get in palaces is to be protected from the distorted cognition, but Joker in particular evidences superhuman agility in palaces with no indication given that he has that level of fitness outside of them. Plus they all can fight without explicitly using personas with their normal attacks, and that strength certainly isn't reflected in normal life.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Yuko, just to make it closer again :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Well, we all know what's coming on up ahead this week. And apparently more...?

Summer school, everyone's favourite thing I am sure.

Want To Be Close (Reincarnation) / Time

So, this is a dumb thing that I dislike. We get +2 Academics like if it was a normal class, or studying at night or whatever.

And it uses the entire day, including our Evening, like it was a Hermit scene or an exam. We get +2 Academics a day. That's +12 in a week, which doesn't sound so bad (that's 1/5th of an Academics rank...)... except we can get +12 in two days, since we get +2 from Studying and +4 from the Arcade. And then we get an extra +2 from every day we don't Hermit or Tartarus or are too tired/sick. So, we always get more than +12 a week.

point is its dumb but hey at least edogawa is here to make it... longer... gently caress

You must all be very curious students to be taking this course over the summer.
...I'm not really sure what to make of that. Eeeheehee...
Well, let's talk about something interesting today.
All you future magicians will want to pay close attention... Eeeheehee...

Originating in 15th century Europe as normal playing cards, tarot cards evolved into tools of divination.
A variety of different versions of tarot card decks exist, including the Marseille and Rider decks...

The Tarot de Marseille is the original version of the Tarot deck and the most well-known overall. The Rider-Waite deck is the most well-known among English speakers, and has a slightly different order to the Tarot de Marseille. Notably the Rider-Waite deck uses the order the Persona games use, since it has Justice as card number VIII and Strength as XI, when the Tarot de Marseille has them the other way around.

The Thoth deck is... quite different in a few ways. It renames some cards, draws from very different ideas and so massively changes the meaning of a couple cards.

First, let's talk about the composition of the deck...
The modern 78-card tarot deck is divided into two parts.
There are 22 Major Arcana--the face cards--and 56 Minor Arcana, or number cards...
The Minor Arcana are also sometimes called pips.
The Major Arcana feature a variety of illustrations on their faces.

And, right away, Edogawa reveals that he doesn't know the Thoth tarot deck at all. The final Major Arcana in Crowley's deck was The Universe, and not The World.

So, since Edogawa's going to run through a rudimentary explanation of the Marseille/Rider-Waite tarot, it's worth just taking a moment to reflect on just how very... very on the nose this scene is gonna be.

Each Major Arcana represents a stage on that journey...
an experience that the individual must incorporate to realize his oneness.
They are all important, so let's take a look at each of the 22 cards, one by one.

The next card, The Magician, represents action and initiative... but also immaturity.

Thoth deck renames the Magician to the Magus. It's a minor change, but it's worth caring about anyway.

The Priestess represents contemplation and inner knowledge.

Notably, The Priestess IS the name from the Thoth deck. Marseille uses The Popess and Rider-Waite use The High Priestess instead.

The Empress represents motherhood and the life it brings forth.
The Emperor is an opposing card. It represents fathering and relates to leadership and decision-making skills.
The Hierophant represents formality and knowledge, and stands for religion.

Marseille uses The Pope.

The Lovers card represents choice. Here, the individual's consciousness has finally surfaced.
The Chariot represents victory for the individual, but only a momentary one.
Justice represents the knowledge of what is right, and what is wrong.

As mentioned before, Justice is only here in Rider-Waite and later in Marseille. Justice doesn't exist at all in Thoth, instead being replaced by Adjustment. Adjustment represents balance and conscious results from action, and the wisdom that comes as a result.

The Hermit represents the individual's search for answers by looking inward, deep inside his heart.
Fortune represents fate, and the opportunities that come with it.

Rider-Waite and Marseille call it Wheel of Fortune instead of "just" Fortune, but that's all.

Strength represents both passion and self-control. It is depicted as power with reason.

Strength is replaced in Thoth by, uh, Lust. In part it represents power, sure, but it's also vitality and energy. Enjoyment from life when passion is applied.

The Hanged Man reflects the individual's inability to take action.

Death is considered a transitional card...
The old ends, and the new begins.
Now, let us continue along the path, following the transition.
Temperance is the balancing of opposites. Opening his eyes to the world allows the individual to grow...

Temperance doesn't exist in Thoth either, since its been semi-replaced by Adjustment already. XIV in the Thoth deck is instead Art, which is... completely different. It's alchemy, and mathematics. The ability to combine and solve; to take something and turn it into something precious.

And as the Devil represents, he then faces temptation...
At The Tower, his values collapse on him. It seems as if he no longer has anything to believe in, but...
...he then finds a glimmer of hope, represented by The Star; and he is suffused with a serene calm.

Fears arise, and he follows the dim path in his heart with trepidation...
But he is rewarded with a bright future, represented by The Sun, which signifies true achievement.
Judgement awaits the individual at the end of his journey, as he looks back on the path he has traveled.

Judgement is replaced by something else in the Thoth deck, but we'll cover that one later. It's, uh, special.

It also grants the ability to stop time!

That is the growth of an individual as explained by the tarot cards.
...Perhaps all this talk about life doesn't hit home with you young folks just yet, hm? Eeeheehee...
Now, you can use all 78 cards to divine the future in detail...
but most people only use the 22 Major Arcana.
Okay. Next, let's talk about how to tell fortunes using the Major Arcana.
First, you will need to shuffle the cards. If a card is reversed, its meaning will change, so it's important...

> The class continues...

> Despite the heat, the lecture continues...

Well, that was an actual scene which is at least vaguely different.

Wednesday and Thursday are just "Academics up" with nothing else to it. Notably, we'd be rank 5 by now if we weren't forced to do this and nothing else. But we were, so we aren't.

Thanks, Mitsuru!

How are you all handling the heat? ...I could brew you some of my special tea if you'd like. Eeeheehee...
Now, let's continue with our special summer study--The Truth Behind Magic.

Most of Edogawa's lessons are pretty, uh, memorable but I straight up forgot this one even existed. I really don't know how.

I assume all of you have at least heard of Kabbalah, yes?
It is known as the mystical study of the Hebrew scriptures, but...
as I have mentioned before, it has had a great impact on western sorcery.
It has been said that to learn the secrets of magic, first you must truly understand Kabbalah.
So, who was the person who formed this incredible ideology known as Kabbalah?
Well, according to legend, it was Moses.

But in reality, it was formulated by a group of rabbis long, long ago.

Edogawa with the subtle slam of all of Judaism there, jeez.

However, because it consists of such a complicated coded system...
Kabbalah did not become known to the western world until much later.
Now, it is important to note that there are many different ancient methods of deciphering Kabbalah.
For example, there is "Gematria," the interpretatioin of text by replacing letters with the numbers they represent.
There is "Notarikon," where you take a letter from each word to form another sentence or thought.
There is also "Temurah," a method where letters of words are replaced, thereby giving the sentence a new meaning.
All these different methods make it difficult to fully comprehend Kabbalah.

Most illustrations depict it as a chart shaped like a tree.

Once famous depiction makes it an anime prettyboy with long-silver hair and a sword bigger than Robert Wadlow.

The 10 stages represented by the Sefirot...
and the 22 paths connecting them represent the stages of Creation God formed from his own self,
as well as the direction in which humanity should evolve.
Where did we come from? Where are we going? These answers lie in the Sefirot.
When training your magic, it's important to picture the Sefirot every so often.
And when you are meditating, you should focus on the Sefirot as well.

So, if you're looking for inspiration, try your hand at the Sefirot. Eeeheehee...
By the way, did you all notice that I said there were 22 paths?
Yes, that's right. The same number as the Major Arcana I spoke about earlier. Eeeheehee...
Now, continuing on, according to the Sefirot, the world is broken up into four stages...

> The class continues...

Oh, before I forget...

I'm thinking of doing demonstrations using Tarot cards.
But I won't have time for that during the lecture... If you're interested, stop by after school.
Everyone is welcome. Eeeheehee...

I've never really bothered with this either. We'll definitely take a look at 'em later on.

And as an added bonus, we get to rank 5 Academics today. That's how I know we should've gotten it on Wednesday!

And despite Fuuka saying this would be "weeks", it's just the one week actually.

Iwatodai Dorm

And we get Saturday to do whatever the hell we want with. Hurray!

Definitely.
Really? Well, I probably won't go.
I'm in a bit of a financial crisis. Plus, I don't have anyone to go with.

Sadly, we don't get the Persona 5 option to hang out with Ryuji Junpei instead of anyone else.

I am looking forward to wearing the special item of clothing called a yukata.
This will be a new experience for me.

Where do they get the energy?
I'm so tired... I think I'm going to go to bed early tonight...

But, don't worry. We'll be able to go soon.

"Soon" is a relative term. We won't be bothering with Tartarus juuuuust yet, naturally.

The man riding on the portable shrine was knocked off. He was uninjured, but three of the shrine bearers underneath him were hospitalized. The inebriated man said "If you're pissed off, try being the one on top."

I don't... understand...?

Anyway, Koromaru has a special mechanic that we were sorta told about before!

> He seems to want to go for a walk...

> Aigis can go with you tonight.

We can walk Koromaru at night, sometimes! We don't even have to go alone, necessarily.

Joy

There are reasons to go alone sometimes, but when the option is there to go with someone else... why wouldn't you do that instead?

He's able to go on his walks, and come here with his friends...

For what reason is it required to clothe oneself in a "yukata"...?
I would like to infiltrate the site tomorrow to investigate this matter further.

Aigis smiling looks very... unnatural and creepy. I'm pretty sure that's intentional, at least.

Shall we return to the dorm? Let us come again, Koromaru-san.

Needless to say, provided it doesn't clash with my schedule for stuff we'll be walking Koromaru a fair bit. Because hell yeah, good dog, best friend.

While I could genuinely keep count of our points to rank 6 (since we hit rank 5 exact and all), there's uh really no point to that.

So, like Junpei said, there's some festival thingy today.

Hey, did you know that the Summer Festival is being held at the Naganaki Shrine?
Wanna go with me?
Sure.
Really!? Great!

> You have decided to go to the Summer Festival with Yukari.

> The shrine is filled with people eating food and playing games.

I didn't know they make ones like that.
I should have looked harder...
You look good already.
Wh-Wha--!?
...Why, thank you.
I didn't expect you to say that, so I bit my tongue.

Yukatas are pretty skimpy, if you ask me.
They're nice in warm weather, but they don't offer much protection, and they take some getting used to.
...I guess women in the old days were just tougher.

Oh, wait, that stand right there...!

Mmm, smells sooo good...
...I guess it is dinner time, huh?
That explains why I'm so hungry.

...I don't think I can finish it by myself, so will you help me?

Umm... Can I have extra seaweed and shaved bonito? And easy on the mayo!

Takoyaki Vendor: It'll be ready in just a sec! ...... ...Here ya go.

Thanks!

> Yukari seems excited.

*giggle*

Apparently, Yukari... doesn't mind... that? Well, that's weird and is a clear holdover from vanilla.

See, here could get an invite from all 4 girls (as mentioned before). Vanilla only gives you the one invitation, from whichever of the 4 has the highest S.Link rank.

Yukari, please. Where are your manners? Don't talk with your mouth full.

> Yukari is trying to say something...

Sorry... I shouldn't have talked while I was eating.
I was trying to say that it tastes like Octopia's. Ya know, the place by the station?
Maybe she works at both places...
...Either way, it tastes good.

There's clearly some left, and it was "good?" Which is why it... goes right in the bin.

At least now we go back to the left.

...which you'd have seen before. How did you miss it?

I've never seen these before...
Hey, there's a dog mask. Wait... Doesn't it look like Koro-chan?
...Oh yeah, this is his real home!

Sorry, Yukari I'm more interested in the Master Joker masks that they apparently have (for a subtle background Innocent Sin reference) and also the Phoenix Ranger Featherman team!

...Although, the shop isn't really related to the shrine. ...Maybe I'm just imagining the similarity.

Attendant: All you do is pick a ball! It's easy! And, everyone's a winner!

A game, huh... Wanna give it a try?
...He says everyone's a winner...
I'll watch.

> You picked a ball from the bottom.

Attendant: Oooh... Let's see what you've--

So, like, this is obviously a scam but... he gains nothing out of it, so.. why? There's no buy-in, not even a ticket thing, so there's no benefit to this other than being a dick.

And if you don't want anyone to actually win, just don't put in a winning ball!

Attendant: Well, here's your prize... You won a Jack Frost Doll. Please come again!

also, wow, mixed signals much buddy

Wow, Makoto-kun!

This is probably the first time I've seen someone walk away with a prize...
I was hoping we'd see some of our classmates here, but I guess not.
I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed.

I was hoping, and expecting, to see Aigis and Mitsuru but alas...

...But, we had fun anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

We should go somewhere else sometime soon.
*giggle*

And with that, our little festival... date?... comes to an end.

Silence

It's weird that was pretty stock, when things that have less impact and relevance (classroom lectures) got major rewrites between Vanilla and FES. I don't even know.

But, now we're back to our normal routine, huh?

...Is what I'd like to say, but now we have some other stuff available.

I heard they're having a horror flick marathon.
Sounds pretty cool, huh? So whaddya say? Let's go, man.
Sure.
You serious? Nice! See you later then!

> Kenji seems excited...

> You have decided to go to the movies With Kenji.

We don't actually need to do this. It's just functionally the same as hanging out on an available day that doesn't give a rank up. Kenji's here is completely skippable, for whatever that's worth, but we can't really avoid him forever so sure. Why not.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

Alright, dude. Let's get some seats in the front.

The biggest difference between this and normal hang out scenes is that this gives us Social Link points AND Social Stat points. It's +4 to one stat depending on the movie in question (this is Courage so it doesn't even matter).

> After saying goodbye to Kenji, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

...Don't you agree?
It's brutal.
It's always like this during this time of year.
Anyway, there won't be another full moon until September, right after summer break ends.
...It's like planning for exams, huh?
Well, at least there are only four Shadows left... We have to hang in there.

Pretty close to being done with that whole thing, yeah. We'll get there soon enough...

Well, he usually eats vitamin-enhanced dog food...
...but sometimes we feed him our leftovers.
It's important that he eats a balanced and nutritious diet.

It was a great cultural experience.

I really wish we could've seen that, but alas... ...NG+...

Usually beef bowl.
...Don't worry, I know what I'm doing.

*sigh* That bummed me out...
I mean, I know I burned it, but I didn't think it was THAT bad...

He wouldn't eat it!
Ahahahaha! That cracks me up!

But... I'm sure she's a little down...
*sigh* I don't know what to do in this kind of situation...

I didn't hear anything on the news about it, so no one must have noticed that Aigis is a robot.
She must've been in stealth mode...

I know it's obvious anyway, but remember when this was a secret? And Ken wasn't supposed to know?

Has Japan become a subtropical climate? By all indications, this week will be another humid one. This is in addition to all the disasters worldwide, such as hurricanes and tsunamis...

Now, it's a Monday so our options are pretty limited. We could go to Tartarus, but that's now our only real option and... we're not gonna do that, so...

We'll just head off to our bedroom and have a quick study session. Like we always do.

So, we had Kenji and Courage yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if today's film is a Charm boost.

And it's Bebe for good measure. We haven't spent time with him in a while.

You are in luck!
Zey are showing French films!
It eez ze perfect opportunity for you to learn French! Ne?
Sure.
You can go!? Yatta! Zat eez great!

> Bebe seems happy...

One of the scant few that actually matters, for the Social Stat points.

Zat was fun. I 'aven't 'eard my 'ome language in a long time.
We should do it again! Next time, samurai films!

> You decide to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

Fighting the Shadows is our priority, but you should still study some during the daytime.

We're not studying in the middle of the day, Mitsuru. There IS a reason to consider that, but there's only one day (with our schedule) in the whole game that makes it even remotely possible. Yes, really.

Please carefully consider what you feed him.

Today's subject is a man in his 20s, With a sour face--Uhm, I mean a handsome salaryman.

...Next is news. Pain, pain, go away!

Reiji Kido is the requisite antisocial delinquient character from Persona 1, with rad US flag gloves. He's a playable character, but because Persona 1 is weird about things, you have to jump through a buncha hoops to even have the option be available. He's, in theory, the best character in that game but he ironically gets worse overall later. Character-wise, he's pretty simple unfortunately, since he's an optional character (even by Persona 1's standards) but he still has some major importance to the SEBEC route of the game. Because obviously, right? Outside of one scene at the beginning, before the route divide, he doesn't appear at all in the Snow Queen events.

He has two Primary Arcana (Devil and Death) which is reflected in his initial and ultimate Personae. His initial persona is Bres, of the Devil arcana, one of the kings of the Tuatha De Danann from Irish lore. His ultimate Persona is, uh, Mot, of the Death Arcana... who's kind of a downgrade, oddly, in my opinion. I'unno, that might just be me though.

Anyway, Koromaru is understandably upset over being fed Yukari's trashbin burned remains (two days in a row, it seems).

But, hey, today's Tuesday which means we get to spend the evening with Tanaka.

This Mysterious Feeling

It was with a young man not much older than you. Guess what he said...
He said, "Thank you."
Oh, really?

So... you do care. If this wasn't a common mistake, I could totally buy this as subtle character development, but alas.

...After all, we don't even sell real products.
But then, he told me he quit his part time job and was going to study to become a public prosecutor.

He said I was an example of a negative role model. As if!
Maybe I'm overracting, but what if he does become a public prosecutor and puts me behind bars?
Lord knows what they would do to me in prison!
...Would you still come visit me if I was in the slammer?

> President Tanaka seems upset.

> You feel like you understand him a little better now.

Apparently, kids these days aren't as naive as we thought...

> President Tanaka left.

I guess Tanaka can (accidentally) be a force for good, but it seems weird that this is something he never considered before. I get the whole idea, but man.

So, like, we have about half a month until the next full moon. We're not super-pressed for time, or anything, but this seems like a good time to Tartarus for the first time.

Yukari still only has first tier attacks, but second tier healing. She's super-close to getting Recarm which is... cute, I guess? It won't really matter much, in theory, but hey. Also 30 Magic is kind of a lot.

Junpei's sorta falling behind at this point, in theory. That he doesn't get any upgrades for 5 levels and then it's just Agilao is really worrying, considering.

Akihiko is, well, Akihiko. His offense and restoration are rapidly falling behind, because of both his bleh stats and that they just aren't all that strong. At least he can still contribute with debuffs, which is something I guess.

Mitsuru's, well, the same as before right now. Her Magic isn't quite on par with Yukari's, but she can make up for it by having Bufula which straight up does bigger numbers anyway.

Aigis is a decent enough tank, still, and like one fight away from getting Rakukaja. Taken a while, but she did start at level 30 which is a little high so, fair enough.

And now we have Koromaru. Koromaru has a base 125 Evasion. That is roughly quadruple the highest available for anyone else right now. Koromaru also has the most HP out of everyone, period, but because of that he has the least SP. He is Yukari's mirror, but he's also a dodge tank.

Oh and his highest stat is Agility, but his offense is roughly on par with Akihiko and Aigis, so he has a lot of overlap in a way. Also note how he's immune to Fire and Dark. Everyone else only has one elemental strength, and they only resist it. Koromaru is too cool for that.

Now, there ARE times and reasons why you would want Junpei instead of Koromaru. There are also times and reasons why you would want Aigis instead of Koromaru, but those are much more obvious.

You know the drill by now, I'm sure. Unlike before, Koromaru is not guaranteed a slot, so...

:siren: Three slots to fill; who's coming with? :siren:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 8, 2018

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Koromaru, Yukari, and Akihiko

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Dog, Robot, and who cares who else comes with seriously a dog and a robot hell yes

Also Edogawa is talking out of rear end about Kaballah again but gently caress if I want to take the time to correct most of his poo poo. However, I will talk about its origins for a bit. Basically, there was a rabbi was named Rabbi Simon bar Yochai who lived around the fall of the second temple. There’s a lot to him, but here’s the relevant part: the story goes that he was persecuted by the Romans and had to hide out in a cave for 13 years, only eating fruit and drinking only water. While secluded, he supposedly had these mystical secrets explained to him by the prophet Elijah (who is himself a part of an entirely different bit of Jewish mystic tradition), and then passed ‘em on. This was around when the Sefer Yetzirah, another mystical book, was said to be written by two entirely different Rabbis; however, that's not technically Kabbalah, even though it is Jewish mysticism, so Edogawa's explanation is still full of it.

A while later (like 8 centuries or so), a guy named Moses de Leon wrote (or transcribed, or published: no one’s quite sure, but people think he wrote it) the Zohar, claiming it was from Simon bar Yochai. The Zohar was one of the first written bits of Jewish mysticism, and set of a bunch of people to study in Safed in current day Israel; there were already some there, but a whole lot more joined, including Rabbi Moses Cordovero, who basically founded a school of mysticism based on the Zohar. It also prompted a guy named Rabbi Isaac Luria to teach his own version. He’s the source of, well, Lurianic Kabbalah.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 2, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Forget Tartarus party composition, I want to know if you're going to take Koromaru to the movies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Koromaru, Yukari, Junpei.

This was my main team for P3 once I could do it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I say to take Koromaru, Mitsuru, and Aigis because dog, robot, and ice woman.

Dragonatrix posted:

It's weird that was pretty stock, when things that have less impact and relevance (classroom lectures) got major rewrites between Vanilla and FES. I don't even know.
The lectures probably got re-written so that you couldn't "cheat" stat increases by knowing the answers from older versions. IIRC, it happened between Persona 4 PS2 and Golden as well, in addition to Golden changing up food recipes and what's available to eat in the refrigerator for Courage increases. It is kinda weird that they didn't rewrite the scene to account for the fact that you might not be dating the girl you bring, though.

It's notable that I only played FES, so I don't actually know what's changed from vanilla.

Dragonatrix posted:

I mean, I know I burned it, but I didn't think it was THAT bad...
If you didn't want to eat it, why are you getting upset that Koromaru didn't either?

Dragonatrix posted:

I know it's obvious anyway, but remember when this was a secret? And Ken wasn't supposed to know?
Look, Ken's just that one guy from every Animaniacs episode who can tell Chicken-Boo is just a chicken in a costume.

Also, Junpei and Akihiko were fooled, too.

Dragonatrix posted:

...Would you still come visit me if I was in the slammer?
Is the universe still shelling out phenomenal cosmic power for doing so in this hypothetical situation? 'Cause that's the only reason we're here in the first place.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Dog, Bot, Junpei

The best team full of best.... people(?)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GeneX posted:

Dog, Robot, and who cares who else comes with seriously a dog and a robot hell yes

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Aigis, Koromaru, and Mitsuru. Best robot, best dog, and best non-robot/non-dog.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I don't care who else comes as long as Koromaru get his time in the spotlight.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Mitsuru, Akihiko, Koromaru.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Just a boy, his dog, and his robot girlfriend

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Koromaru, Yukari, Mitsuru

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

serefin99 posted:

I don't care who else comes as long as Koromaru get his time in the spotlight.
This is my vote as well.

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014
Doggo needs a chance. I guess Mitsuru and Junpei can fill the other slots? Sure.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

code:
  Yukari: |||
  Junpei: |||
 Akihiko: ||
 Mitsuru: |||||
   Aigis: ||||||
Koromaru: |||||||||||||

My Choice: |||||||
Well, one of these things is pretty much what I expected. That everyone else is pretty close is a bit of a surprise, though.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Koromaru, Junpei and Mitsuru

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Koromaru, Mitsuru, and Aigis because dog, robot, and then Aigis is obviously the best girl.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Aigis, Koromaru, and Mitsuru.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Earnestly posted:

Koromaru, Mitsuru, and Aigis because dog, robot, and then Aigis is obviously the best girl.

Checks out. This.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Dog, Robot, and whoever else.

Any third party member is going to be filler anyway.

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
Koromaru, Yukari, and Mitsuru

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GeneX posted:

Yes, this.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

GeneX posted:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

code:
  Yukari: ||||
  Junpei: ||||
 Akihiko: |||
 Mitsuru: |||||||||||
   Aigis: ||||||||||||
Koromaru: ||||||||||||||||||||||

My Choice: ||||||||||
To the surprise of probably no one, literally everyone who has voted has voted for Koromaru. :v:

I could probably switch one person out if I really wanted to here, but I think with how far ahead they are, this should be fine.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so now we know what's going on at this point, I guess.

And the first person to ask us on a movie date this time is... Keisuke...?

Uhh, who's Keisuke?

hang on ive got my notes here somewhere, uhhh...

Oh! The Fortune kid! Wow, we haven't seen him at all in forever. Uh, oops?

They're showing a nature documentary marathon.
It looks really interesting... Maybe we'll learn something new.
Sure.

Oh, yeah, no, nature documentaries. That sounds super interesting...

Oh, great! Then, I'll see you later!

> Keisuke seems excited.

For what it's worth, this is inexplicably +4 Charm. Yeaaaaah.

Well, we should get going.

> After saying goodbye to Keisuke, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

I'm sweatin' like a pig.
It's all in your head...
The heat will only affect you if you allow it to.
...Of course, there are limits to that theory.
Ugh...

No one in here has anything new to say, and the only real difference is that Ken's shut himself up in his bedroom again. Kid's more of a shut-in than Makoto.

We've got a few highlights of the game...

At least the TV's updated which is... something, I guess?

Ah well, at least we have our 6 Academics to get for the day.

...And because I'm an idiot, I just now noticed that the message from studying and the message from the arcade are different.

And it makes the studying one, ironically, gramatically incorrect. Genuinely didn't noticed that before now, since I don't really look at them at all.

Silence

Anyway, today starts with... a look at what Junpei's doing...?

Shoot, it's already the 20th. Summer break's almost over...
...Too bad there's nothin' to do.
*sigh* This place is so boring.

Boy, it sure is convenient that she wasn't at the military base before, otherwise this might get awkward.

Troubled

And what do you know? This is her first line of dialogue since the first appearance of Strega way back when. And even then, she said all of one thing.

I can't see. ...Move.
Uh... Sorry.

Uh, nothing. ...My bad.

Okay, Junpei, buddy. It's 2009; gothic lolita fashion isn't that uncommon.

And, what the hell is she drawing...?
Man, I'll never understand art.
Oh, well...

So, yeah, that's that scene I guess. Our movie hangout today is with...

Iwatodai Dorm

...no one. We don't get any calls today, which is the entire reason I bothered to go with Kenji in the first place, yes.

I never see that guy doing any homework...

Junpei-kun said he's going to do his all at once. How are you planning to finish yours, Makoto-kun?
Little by little.
Good, that's the easiest way to do it.
I've been doing my homework every day, so I'm almost done with it.

I think/hope that's implicitly what we've been doing whenever we study at night. I'unno, it makes sense to me at least.

However, it is weak against light.
So, please be careful of Hama skills.

Fortunately, as far as weaknesses go, instant death isn't that big of a deal overall. Most Shadows don't use 'em, and even then the ones that do, uh, don't get turns so...

Apathy Syndrome cases are increasing.
We must do something about this...

We, uh, can't do anything about it for another 2 weeks.

Huh, and today's TV is more Lisa. Always a nice surprise whenever that one happens.

"Fanna" means, "I don't want to!" When you're getting up for work, that's "Fanna!"
That's all for this week! Back to the news!

Huh, she's still hanging out here doing her art thing. And she doesn't yell at us, which is... unexpected. Junpei's nowhere to be found, though.

I lost it.
That excuse won't work. The teacher will just give you a new assignment and make you stay after school.
Then you can't come to Tartarus!

That's... two completely unrelated thoughts, Yukari. That's not how either of those things work.

Oh, and this NPC story is also over in the strip mall now. Sure, okay.

I'm gonna stop following him. This is so disappointing!
The last thing I need is another guy like him.

What should I do? I can't just keep doing nothing!
Maybe I should go ahead and talk to her, y'know?

Iwatodai Dorm

So, when I rewound time a bit to do the thing we're obviously going to do, I remembered to go check the console and... I guess the game's just given up on informing us of any new recordings. Great, thanks.

i will probably consistently forget this is a problem

Self-Reflection

Silence

At least this time, I remembered at a semi-reasonable moment I guess.

I'm sorry, I can't help but notice that this was recorded on the 13th of August. And Akihiko's calendar already has August crossed off. What.

Is my way with girls really no better than Junpei's...?
How could they treat me the same as his lame pickup lines...?

Is... Akihiko reading some kind of self-help book...? That's, uh, pretty unexected.

Well... I can't think of many examples, but I can do that much at least...
"Careful: Making others laugh and being laughed at are two entirely different things!"
"When people speak to you, do you try to respond with pure logic and reason?"

I... wow. Reminder, FES was released in 2007 and it just slammed modern day internet rationals. That owns.

Tch... You gotta admit, they've got a point...!
"Try testing yourself by speaking as if you're asking a female friend or co-worker to your favorite store."

..."Favorite store?"

"The two most important things are to smile, and have a good sense of humor!"

I'm going to the Beef Bowl place, wanna come with...?
Humor... Humor...

I think it's pretty telling, and a great piece of character building and informing, that the first joke that comes to mind is a lovely pun.

And also that Akihiko looks pained to even try and say alone, never mind to anyone else.

Nrrrgh...!

That's it! Screw this!

> The recording ends here...

End

There sure doesn't seem to much of a pattern to the order we're getting to see these snippets, huh? Aside from the first one being the control room itself, they've all been folks' bedrooms which is kinda creepy... though it's also something we've known since the very beginning was possible so, uh.

Let's just play this dying MMO some more.

Joy

> Maya isn't in the area.

> A mysterious light engulfs Tatsuya.

> A gray-colored sky stretches as far as the eye can see.

> A barren wasteland lies before Tatsuya.

> Maya is staring into the distance.

...i should apologize
Oh, no worries.
no tatsuya, if u keep being nice i won't ever move fwd =S

> Maya seems determined.

remember how i said i would send our chat log to the admins before? >_>

Oh good, she's learned to not send a log full of self-incriminating evidence. I guess that's growth...?

Is that why you're sorry?
kinda, but... i meant sumthing else too ._.

> Maya seems nervous.

> Maya is kicking the ground.

Yeah, most people wouldn't when they realise they admitted repeatedly to being a teacher, wanting to gently caress one of their students, being more than willing to explicitly abuse their position of power to do s--

...Goddammit, Toriumi Maya.

u shouldn't have had to put up w/ me doin that. im sry m(_ _)m
sum teacher i am, rite? =/
i kno it'll look like i'm chickening out an stuff, but...

You have no idea just how wrong that is, do you.

This is sudden...
...its kind of a bad habit, but i'm sure this is the rite thing ._.

> Maya seems upset.

since nobody can see my face on teh intarweb, i could be mean... =(

shyeah rite. =P i never would've figured this out w/out ur help
tatsuya taught me to be thoughtful even when im not around ppl =)

> Maya really trusts you.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

The Path is Open

Joy

Arahabaki got a bit of a buff here. In the original, he was level 54 (yeaaaah), but now they're level 60! ...Regardless of which version, though, you'll probably want to gain at least 1 level over what the fusion bonus gives them. For reasons.

i drew something in the sand for u
check the ground once i log off, k? ^^;
its kinda embarrassing, but i worked real hard on it
if u upload a screenie to ur cellphone, u can keep it always!

remember, let's positive thinking!
gg, tatsu. thx 4 everything

> Maya's player logged off.

> A message is written in the sand.

> You took a screen cap and emailed it to your phone.

> You have obtained Evidence.

> You stored the memories of Maya deep within your heart and logged off.

Added bonus: we can leave the house on Sundays for real now. And we don't lose evenings (when we do an S.Link) any more. Hurray!

There's a sports movie marathon at the strip mall in lwatodai today.
Maybe we'll learn a new way to inspire the team. Whaddya think? Wanna go?
Sure.
Alright, it's a date! See ya soon.

No, Yuko, it's n... nevermind.

+4 Courage that we didn't even need. Thanks, Yuko.

Let's head home since it's getting late.

> After saying goodbye to Yuko, you decide to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

You look really bored, Junpei...
What's wrong with that?
It takes a lot of maturity to fully appreciate boredom.
Yeah, you're REAL mature...
Look who's talkin', Yuka-tan!
You're the one who's afraid of ghosts...
Sh-Shut up, Stupei!

Junpei almost had a point there. He was so close. So close!

You know those "gothic lolitas," right?
Well, I saw one drawing all this weird poo poo in a notebook.
She seemed like she was living in a different world, dude.

Actually, my dog ate it.
That excuse won't work on your teachers. They'll just give you more and make you stay after school to do it.
Then you won't have any time to go to Tartarus.

Yukari, you have seen the teachers at your school right? Pretty sure it'd work on most of them. Might even make Edogawa go on a long spiel about the magic properties of dogs or whatever.

...Also that's still not how either of those things work.

This is most likely because Koromaru-san is fast himself.
Taking him for a walk can be quite tiring.

Fortunately, for Aigis apparently, he doesn't want a walk tonight. It's something of a subtle character bit, but I like how Aigis has been standing by Koromaru more often than not so far.

It was just lying around so I took a look at it.
Those clothes featured seem to be very expensive. You must need a lot of money to be a female.

"Woman," Ken. The noun is "woman." You can't use an adjective as a noun.

Unless you're wearing one of a small select group of terrible hats, I mean.

He's talking nonsense again.
Something about gothic lolitas and art...

Anyway, we could totally do hang out with Mutatsu today, but I think we've got something better to do. Koromaru might not want to go for a simple, everyday walk...

The Voice Someone Calls

But we're off to Tartarus, so he'll get a workout anyway.

Just gotta get past that pesky "barrier" thing, first.

tartarus_0d03

I'd be more surprised if they were static, Fuuka. Jeez.

...Wow, we immediately find the red Shadow this time, huh? Welp, let's see what this has in store for us then.

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

Champion Knights are pretty underwhelming, honestly. If you've brought Yukari, then you can decimate them immediately. If you've brought a thing with Wind at all, you can decimate them immediately. It's pretty disappointing, really. They might survive an AOA, but if so they'll have like 10HP left so...

That's 1400 exp. Without a Wands card. loving hell.

Also, hey, a Request item for Elizabeth. We want 4 of those before we're done here, which... sure thing.

And since we fought a thing, let's keep this Shadow train rolling. They're pretty dang weak, because they are Maya, but they can be potentially annoying with that Diarama. I say "potentially" because it's predicated on them getting turns. Which, spoilers, they don't.

Also, hey, new part of Tartarus means we can get rank 5 cards now. Cups heal more, Swords give outdated equipment, Wands straight up give double EXP for a fight...

Coins are inexplicably not as poo poo as the previous cards imply. Rather than being ~5000-5500, it's 7000-9500. Still not exactly great, but it's learning. At last.

Justice Swords are pretty simple, and also pretty easy to deal with. They're one of the more surprisingly straightforward Shadows in a while, really. Hit it with Wind and it crumples and dies, yawn.

Ice Ravens are...n't. They resist Ice, sure, but like that's it? They use multi-target Dark and Wind, and single-target Strike. What. Doesn't even resist Dark for some reason?!

At some point during all this, Makoto (and thus Fuuka) hit level 32.

This ability will only work after you've analyzed an enemy.
Be sure you analyze the enemy so the battle would be easier.

> Fuuka can now use Third Eye!

It's, uh, honestly it just tells you if you're about to smack into something you shouldn't. It's not super useful or anything, since it only comes up for Makoto and once you've analyzed something once, it does it immediately if you just press the button again. It's a useful(ish) shortcut, but so are things like: memory, notes, the Analyze screen.

Mind Dice sure live up to their name, I guess. They use two mind-affecting ailments and can either single or multi-target both which is... something, I guess. Unfortunately, they are dice so they die as soon as you look at 'em funny.

Oh, right, and Wild Drives hang out here too but they're pretty par for the course at this point and we can destroy 'em without much hassle.

Anyway, all that done let's give Fuuka's BGM function a try for the first time. Kinda been ignoring that, huh? I suppose we'll go through 'em in order over time, so for now Track 01 it is!

The Snow Queen
okay no but seriously this is rad and cool and good and its a persona 1 remix and my second favourite version of this track

On the 91st floor, we get some upgraded shoes that are... legs? Oh, I get it. This is an upgrade for Aigis.

Just in case it's not obvious, which it usually is, the description tells you outright that it's for Aigis too. With this, she has over 1/3rd the Evasion of Koromaru! Good job, Aigis.

Still on the 91st floor, we get another equipment upgrade. This one isn't for Aigis though.

It's a pretty decent upgrade for whoever gets it, and I ended up giving it to Mitsuru for... some reason that I don't really remember right now.

On the 92nd floor, Fuuka lets us know that, yes, there is a boss but she doesn't know where it is yet. Thanks, helpful.

Nothing else of note there, but on the 93rd floor we get an almost real amount of money. This is like a quarter of a Persona that we're 10 levels too high to be really using any more!

Okay, but in all seriousness: if you're not playing on Hard, this is kind of a lot. Money troubles don't really exist otherwise, because the Compendium isn't more extortionate than Tanaka sure seems to be. I knew this'd happen though, and it's not really THAT big of a deal overall. It just means I need to spend some time occasionally grabbing some extra cash here and there, no big deal.

Also on the 93rd floor, we find an axe that is actually an axe!

On the one hand, it's a pretty potent weapon and gives +2 Strength for good measure. On the other hand, it's not a Spear so whatever.

On floor 95, Fuuka lets us know where the boss is. I think she first found it on 93, but I generally skip past her interstitial dialogue pretty fast (because its mostly filler and irrelevant).

On the 96th floor, we find another equipment upgrade purely for Aigis. I guess they thought you'd do the previous bit entirely before she joined? Which is really weird and doesn't make much sense...

It's not much of an upgrade, really, but it lets her be better at eating damage. I guess it counts enough to warrant using, sure.

Nothing else of interest happens until the 98th floor, where the requisite fight is. So we'll just take a trip back downstairs to fully heal because Makoto has like 5SP left. I am really good at resource management, I promise.

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

I'm sure you're wondering why I requested this item.
That's not what matters, though. What's important is that you defeated the Champion Knight.
I am thrilled to see you getting stronger...
Please accept your reward.

Terrible non-explanation aside, this is a pretty nice upgrade for Aigis.

The SP increase is pretty much irrelevant, though, since she's a Physical attacker in every way and her only SP skills are buffs which... don't really use all that much.

While we're here, we might as well make some new Personae. Like Eligor. We finally got to make goddamn Eligor! He hits level 34 via fusion, which is enough for him to learn his final skill... that he can learn via fusion. He can get to level 36 with maxed Tower, but his next skill after this is at level 37. It's really loving annoying how P3 does that for almost everything.

Anyway, Cruel Attack is really REALLY good and lives up to its name. It has a base power of 225 and a 99% Accuracy. It's pretty decent Pierce damage, right? Well... sure, but it deals a bonus 1.5x damage to any Downed enemy. Yeeesh. Combine this thing with Power Charge and you can really hurt things that don't nullify(+) Pierce. It's not the best Pierce attack, but there's only like 3 that outclass it. One of which is a special skill anyway. Yikes.

Anyway, boss fight hello.

Magician Magical Magus x3 / (Portable)
i dont say this often, but it'd be quicker to just watch either video this time yeesh

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Oh, that's adorable. You think they're a threat!

So, the Magical Magus are... probably the easiest Tartarus boss? Maybe? I AM including the Intrepid Knight in that, and remember: he'll beat himself for you.

The Magus here are weak to Fire, and Eligor learns Maragion at Lv32. Granted he has a bad Magic stat (still higher than their Endurance (17) though!) and they also resist Fire, but...

They have 700HP. Yikes.

They drain Ice, which is a bit of a telling clue.

Unfortunately for them, their Agility is balls (15) and Koromaru exists. And has Agilao. Sure, his Magic isn't great either but it doesn't need to be.

We still do more than half their max HP in a single AOA, and so they die without ever getting a turn. Yes, really.

End

But, fine, let's say for the sake of argument that they get turns (which you have to go out of your way to let them do).

Of course, they can Mind Charge. It'd be weirder and more surprising if they couldn't at this point.

What a surprise, they have Bufudyne. They also have 35 Magic so this is probably gonna hur--

Uh, oops. King Frost exists so we're virtually invincible here.

They also have Mabufula for that mildly inconvenient multi-target damage.

Makarakarn seems an odd choice, but they DO resist Slash, Strike and Pierce so Magic is the only real way to deal with 'em.

They could also cast Ice Break if they ever remember, but I autoed the fight to the point where I nearly won by accident and they never did it once (which, uh, is pretty telling since killing 1 takes an average of 14 basic hits...) so, I guess they really want this to be an unlosable fight. Thanks for being completely terrible, Magical Magi!

Don't even give that great EXP for a boss fight any more (that's 184 EXP for each Magus, yeesh), but at least the Sapphires might help? Maybe?

And the item they were guarding is an Egg. I'll put it on the pile with the others. You'd think Makoto was prepping for Easter or something, with all the eggs we have now.

Anyway, that's all we'll get done in Tartarus for now. We'll be back later to clear out the next bit of the sector, though. We have a lot more movies to go see before then!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So finally the one interesting part of Strega shows up.