Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Yeah for the all the stuff I hear about the difficulty of the game, I'm an old man and super casual and pretty bad at most FPS but on the harder "normal" difficulty I'm not having much trouble at all... just dual wielding always, run and gun when needed, hide behind cover when it makes sense... I've died maybe like 3 or 4 times and I'm more than halfway through the game. Even the sneaking stuff isn't that bad at all. Overall I'm enjoying the game a lot... not as fun as Doom but still pretty dang good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Scherloch posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier, but I love (read: intensely hate) people like this.

Yeah, loving SJW Jew propaganda. Commies are never the bad guys, if you ignore the fact that they've probably been used as the bad guys more often than nazis.

Thats what saddens me the most, more so than the return of nationalism and government mandated bigotry- does no-one remember Freedom Fighters? :(

Edit- vvvvvv :same: but with the Turning Point series, which ironically (I guess) people only remember the FPS sequel

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 2, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I can't actually fault anyone who doesn't want to remember Homefront.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

If you replace "Commies" with "Uppity minorities and race traitors" its like a secret decoder ring for the whole thing

And also proof that these dipshits aren't here for the games, because Red Orchestra was the best historical shooter that let you kill both Commies WITH Nazis and vice versa.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just beat the game. Holy poo poo people were not kidding about that cover. I love Twisted Sister and Mick Gordon, but man, those two did NOT mix at all. The music overall was a mixed bag. It seems Mick went more towards the Doom style of music for this game and there just were not any standouts. I wanted more organs, more Pink Floyd. I loved the Doom soundtrack and it was perfect for that game, but the metalcore stuff just didn't work. More Ransacked, less of this please.

On the ending I thought it was touching that it ended with BJ getting his mama's ring back and giving it to Anya. I'm not too mad about Engel as it was very similar to Deathshead, it just took more time from the end of the final boss to the takedown. Compared to TNO's ending, which was itself quite abrupt, it had a little more meat to it, but the third game has to have more to it than this.

I hope we don't have to wait three years for closure to this series because they're banking super hard on that last game completing the plot, and it better be good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Paingod556 posted:

Thats what saddens me the most, more so than the return of nationalism and government mandated bigotry- does no-one remember Freedom Fighters? :(

Or any historical RTS game, or loving Red Alert, Rogue Warrior, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, The German Campaign from Moscow to Berlin: Red Siege, No One Lives Forever 2, Task Force Harrier EX, Cold War, loving 1/3rd of Call of Duty, You are Empty, loving Golden Eye lets you murder some loving Russians and Communist agents, B1: Nuclear Bomber and probably an unknown amount of lovely self made games, from nazi fuckheads or otherwise, that you could probably program yourself if you're oh so desperate to kill dem commies. Nazis too lazy to look on loving google on games with the soviet union or to pick up a book on how to make their own lovely game and that's probably a good thing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I just beat the game. Holy poo poo people were not kidding about that cover. I love Twisted Sister and Mick Gordon, but man, those two did NOT mix at all. The music overall was a mixed bag. It seems Mick went more towards the Doom style of music for this game and there just were not any standouts. I wanted more organs, more Pink Floyd. I loved the Doom soundtrack and it was perfect for that game, but the metalcore stuff just didn't work. More Ransacked, less of this please.

On the ending I thought it was touching that it ended with BJ getting his mama's ring back and giving it to Anya. I'm not too mad about Engel as it was very similar to Deathshead, it just took more time from the end of the final boss to the takedown. Compared to TNO's ending, which was itself quite abrupt, it had a little more meat to it, but the third game has to have more to it than this.

I hope we don't have to wait three years for closure to this series because they're banking super hard on that last game completing the plot, and it better be good.

Considering that you're probably going to kill (speculation)mechhitler, or doublehitler, or a hitler that barks and shoots smaller hitlers out of his mouth, who is also part demon(?) on Mars, thus tying back into DOOM canon, I can't imagine it will be anything less than pure :hellyeah:.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

AnEdgelord posted:

If you replace "Commies" with "Uppity minorities and race traitors" its like a secret decoder ring for the whole thing
Well, yeah, but you'd think they'd try to be less transparent/sound less moronic. Then again, they are morons, so I guess it's entirely expected.

Really Pants posted:

The next story mission is the last and this is also your first chance to get all three contraptions, so it's a good time for side stuff.
Yeah, that's part of my reasoning.

quote:

oh man it seriously does, Rotor Schockhammer is just unfair
Man, gotta go find another upgrade kit then.

Paingod556 posted:

I remember it. Haven't played it in 10 years or so, so I don't know how well it aged, but I loved it back then.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 2, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Considering that you're probably going to kill (speculation)mechhitler, or doublehitler, or a hitler that barks and shoots smaller hitlers out of his mouth, who is also part demon(?) on Mars, thus tying back into DOOM canon, I can't imagine it will be anything less than pure :hellyeah:.

I mean Wyatt is a loving psychic, and talks about heaven itself coming forth to slaughter Nazis.

On top of you finding the doorknob to something presumably very important to God.

I have a strong suspicious Wolf 3 is going to get very religious against the Nazi hordes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Empress Brosephine posted:

Call me a Nazi but I find the opening really dumb and preachy. The father is a bad person that you should kill as a kid because he shared the viewpoint and mentality of almost literally every other person during that time? :/
lmao I don't think a game about killing people with fundamentally wrong viewpoints is the right game for you

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I don't think Wyatt's drug trips are literal psychic snippets of the future. The man's insightful while he's tripping, but I don't believe he legit reached out into the vastness of space and briefly had his personality replaced by some Lovecraftian consciousness.

It's probably not actually God and Heaven that'll be coming forth to slaughter Nazis. Watch, there'll be a scene in the next Wolfenstein where BJ rips and tears through a crowd of zombies and somebody will describe him as a "bloodsoaked angel" or something like that. I bet God's Knob or w/e is a component to either a time machine or a multiverse portal.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i just want BJ to make one wrong turn, end up in hell for a room, run past Doomguy, then go back to earth next game

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't think Wyatt's drug trips are literal psychic snippets of the future. The man's insightful while he's tripping, but I don't believe he legit reached out into the vastness of space and briefly had his personality replaced by some Lovecraftian consciousness.

It's probably not actually God and Heaven that'll be coming forth to slaughter Nazis. Watch, there'll be a scene in the next Wolfenstein where BJ rips and tears through a crowd of zombies and somebody will describe him as a "bloodsoaked angel" or something like that. I bet God's Knob or w/e is a component to either a time machine or a multiverse portal.

I mean Set himself says LSD and other psychedelics are how Da'at Yichud members used to communicate with God, and helped with the creation of many devices.

Then says that nobody in all of history has had the level of clarity Wyatt had, and points to some of the stuff he said.

This also isn't a series that has avoided religious/supernatural tones. You wield the Spear of Destiny, Hell exists as Wolf/Doom are in the same timeline, Da'at Yichud was built around communicating with God, BJs many talks with God/Caroline, and even the ideal of BJs body being broken but shielded by his faith ( figuratively and literally ).

That's not even getting into the Occult/Paranormal stuff.

I don't think we go and summon a heavenly host or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if BJ gets to talk to his mom/Caroline in a weird bit, or Wyatt is actually psychic in a world where the paranormal is real.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

it does make a little sad about Fergus because while the robo hand is awesome and the rolance subplot is cute it feels slightly less important than communing with god

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I mean Set himself says LSD and other psychedelics are how Da'at Yichud members used to communicate with God, and helped with the creation of many devices.

Then says that nobody in all of history has had the level of clarity Wyatt had, and points to some of the stuff he said.

I just imagined that Set & co. got high out of their gourds sometimes when they went into a Mad Scientist Inventing Session and it worked for them, because this is Wolfenstein. Getting high and creating things is a thing that actually happens, and getting high and having sort of quasi-spiritual experience is also totally a thing that happens. :shrug:

I figured Wyatt was just better than Set at being somewhat lucid and high at the same time, so his high-talk sounds deep and insightful. Heck, the game shows us Wyatt's high-o-vision once even, and there wasn't any great spiritual vision- Wyatt just ends up seeing a cartoon chameleon with white gloves running around.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ofaloaf posted:

Comedy theory a communication device to those that left Earth to see more of God's creation, and they return to Earth to help fight the Nazis.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

also gently caress why did i say zombies instead of nazis

they don't even play the same

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Homefront originally was supposed to have the Chinese be the enemy, but were rewritten as North Koreans because "China is like America's factory," Bilson said. "Everything you buy is made in China. It's all friendly. Everything's made there, from games, to every toy to everything. So they're not that scary." https://kotaku.com/5732623/china-is-both-too-scary-and-not-scary-enough-to-be-video-game-villains

That probably is the same reason for many other games also doing the same thing, unless it's a more historical setting like, say, BF:Vietnam.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I just imagined that Set & co. got high out of their gourds sometimes when they went into a Mad Scientist Inventing Session and it worked for them, because this is Wolfenstein. Getting high and creating things is a thing that actually happens, and getting high and having sort of quasi-spiritual experience is also totally a thing that happens. :shrug:

I figured Wyatt was just better than Set at being somewhat lucid and high at the same time, so his high-talk sounds deep and insightful. Heck, the game shows us Wyatt's high-o-vision once even, and there wasn't any great spiritual vision- Wyatt just ends up seeing a cartoon chameleon with white gloves running around.

Like not to keep harping on this point, because I see where you are coming from, but we don't need to make the jump to suggest this setting might be uh, more then it appears.

It's always been that way. Remember we started this journey fighting the SS Paranormal, fighting zombies, fighting ghosts, fighting zombie ghosts. Using the Spear of Destiny. Breaching the gateway between dimensions.

If our crazy mad scientist tells us Wyatt actually saw through the veil, I see no reason to not believe him. Psychics existing in this setting? Sure.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hard to say if Commies have been the enemies more than Nazis. For a while there we had multiple WWII shooters coming out every year.

Things Nazis don't get: Thinking that Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union are bad is not a mutually exclusive decision.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
3 is just a big time travel adventure where there's a big Blazko family reunion where B.J. and Anya team up with their descendants, Commander Keen and Doomguy, to stop Demon Alien Hitler.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm happy that they didn't have a plot twist with Sigrun turning on the crew. I felt like she was welcomed too quickly into the crew and a huge risk, and it made them all seem really naive.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Homefront originally was supposed to have the Chinese be the enemy, but were rewritten as North Koreans because "China is like America's factory," Bilson said. "Everything you buy is made in China. It's all friendly. Everything's made there, from games, to every toy to everything. So they're not that scary." https://kotaku.com/5732623/china-is-both-too-scary-and-not-scary-enough-to-be-video-game-villains

That probably is the same reason for many other games also doing the same thing, unless it's a more historical setting like, say, BF:Vietnam.

It's because China has a shitload of money now and people want them to spend it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ymgve posted:

I'm happy that they didn't have a plot twist with Sigrun turning on the crew. I felt like she was welcomed too quickly into the crew and a huge risk, and it made them all seem really naive.
It wouldn't make sense if she was a double agent the whole time, because Engel had BJ and pals completely at her mercy when Sigrun betrayed her.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
How the hell do you get this game to run

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Accordion Man posted:

It wouldn't make sense if she was a double agent the whole time, because Engel had BJ and pals completely at her mercy when Sigrun betrayed her.

I didn't mean as a double agent, but the others constantly call her "Nazi" while she is trying to distance herself from the past and trying to help them. Could have pushed her into changing her mind at a later time.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ymgve posted:

I felt like she was welcomed too quickly into the crew and a huge risk, and it made them all seem really naive.

Did you miss all the cutscenes with nobody really trusting her and making GBS threads all over her?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The one where she asks Anya to hang out some time was brutally honest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Chapter 1 of Wolf 3 will end with BJ killing Hitler. The rest of the game will be BJ going to hell and fighting the hellish armies of demon Hitler. It will end with BJ's hatred of Nazis replaced with a hatred of demons and he will stay in hell to slaughter them forever, revealing the series to actually be the origin story of the doom slayer.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

SirSamVimes posted:

Chapter 1 of Wolf 3 will end with BJ killing Hitler. The rest of the game will be BJ going to hell and fighting the hellish armies of demon Hitler. It will end with BJ's hatred of Nazis replaced with a hatred of demons and he will stay in hell to slaughter them forever, revealing the series to actually be the origin story of the doom slayer.

I would so unironically pay so much money for this.

You hear me Bethesda? YOU HEAR ME?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

The one where she asks Anya to hang out some time was brutally honest.

Otoh the segment where Grace's group finally finds out why this Nazi gets to hang out with Terror Billy and ends up dicing with her was pretty cute

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I hate to bring this up here but the steam forums are full of people saying antifa are the real nazis and google searches just bring me to the bethesda support page.

Whenever there is a load (whether from a new level, cutscene, or dying) there's roughly an 80% chance that the game will freeze on the loading screen, though keep playing sound. If I check task manager after this it says that the game is not responding and I have to kill the process. Has anyone seen this problem and managed to fix it? Because other than that the game is smooth as butter. I've somehow managed to get up to the washington monument execution scene despite this. I've tried all the usual driver (Geforce 1070) updates, verifying files on steam, reinstalling, etc. Has anyone encountered this issue and managed to fix it or am I stuck waiting for a patch?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is the music during the Courthouse battle randomized during each playthrough? It and the level exit point once I killed everyone were different for me during my second playthrough.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
How the heck was the first game playable on every device known to man on the PC while this one is like a loving shamble held together by tape

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How the heck was the first game playable on every device known to man on the PC while this one is like a loving shamble held together by tape

I'm almost positive this wasn't originally intended to come out when it did. Whether it's because of the imminent CoD-pocalypse or wanting to tap into all that anti-Nazi marketing gold, this really does feel like a game where the production cycle got abruptly cut down by a couple of months.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not going to lie. It's hilarious that I have had exponentially less problems than people with better cards.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

also gently caress why did i say zombies instead of nazis

they don't even play the same

?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crabtree posted:

Or any historical RTS game, or loving Red Alert, Rogue Warrior, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, The German Campaign from Moscow to Berlin: Red Siege, No One Lives Forever 2, Task Force Harrier EX, Cold War, loving 1/3rd of Call of Duty, You are Empty, loving Golden Eye lets you murder some loving Russians and Communist agents, B1: Nuclear Bomber and probably an unknown amount of lovely self made games, from nazi fuckheads or otherwise, that you could probably program yourself if you're oh so desperate to kill dem commies. Nazis too lazy to look on loving google on games with the soviet union or to pick up a book on how to make their own lovely game and that's probably a good thing.

The first NOLF had you fighting East Germans when you break out the doctor who wants to defect. You also have World in Conflict, Metal Gear Solid 3 & 5, any game set in Vietnam etc...

Honestly for me real life nazis crying over this game is the cherry on top of a very nice and enjoyable cake, and its a rather useful way of getting assholes to out themselves. I've now finished the game and in case anyone who hasn't is reading this thread and hasn't seen this information already, this might be useful.

• The best contraption to choose is the battle harness.
  • You can get all three contraptions to use at the same time through the uberkommando side missions.
  • You do not have to finish all these side missions before the final storyline mission, they are available to do after the ending (and indeed there is one that only becomes available post ending).
  • You can farm enigma cards using the New York Penthouse side mission.
  • There are more upgrade kits in the game than you need to fully upgrade all your weapons.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 2, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
You can get both extra contraptions. You can even do it before the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ShineDog posted:

You can get both extra contraptions. You can even do it before the end.

Yeah thats what I meant but phrased it poorly, I've edited the post.

I thought of another one too, Mercenaries for the XBox and PS2 where you destroy North Koreans (and to a lesser extent the Chinese) with wild abandon.