Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Any good academic knows you do a real bodge job of a study and then point out exactly why it's bad in your own article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Noted pro-Nazi site Twitter seems pretty legit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Any good academic knows you do a real bodge job of a study and then point out exactly why it's bad in your own article.

wrong, any good academic knows that publishing something which is contentious but possible means you will get a trillion citations as people desperately try to refute your bullshit

look at Wakefield, 1997

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

It's pretty clear that the ALP have some hand in this mechanically given that Dastyari engaged Iranians to go and hang out at the citizenship office to take some photos of them with his paperwork and asking questions. If this is all some underhanded Labor game, all I can say is N O I C E
I thought it was pretty clear that the ALP implemented citizenship vetting immediately AFTER the legislation that removed the Commonwealth from our 'intimate sphere' (1984)*. The delay to pay off was due to the sitting incumbents that predated the change and weren't therefore vetted. Once the assumption was that everyone in an important seat/role was vetted then they let the hammer fall. They used the Greens as a test case and bait to see just how deep the LNP would dig the hole. They (The LNP) :rolleyes: didn't disappoint and only squealed 'foul' when a bunch of them went under the bus. Including a deputy PM and the President of the Senate no less.

I would suggest the likelihood of this being true at :d: :d: :d: :d: and I speak as a lauded AusPol statistician.

*1984 : The Australian Citizenship (Amendment) Act 1984 became effective on 22 November 1984 and made significant changes, including that Australian law would no longer regard Australians as "British subjects." British subjects in Australia who were not Australian citizens became permanent residents.[7]Australian passports are only to be issued to Australian citizens. At the same time, the residence period for naturalisation was reduced from 3 years to 2 years.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cartoon posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that the ALP implemented citizenship vetting immediately AFTER the legislation that removed the Commonwealth from our 'intimate sphere' (1984)*. The delay to pay off was due to the sitting incumbents that predated the change and weren't therefore vetted. Once the assumption was that everyone in an important seat/role was vetted then they let the hammer fall. They used the Greens as a test case and bait to see just how deep the LNP would dig the hole. They (The LNP) :rolleyes: didn't disappoint and only squealed 'foul' when a bunch of them went under the bus. Including a deputy PM and the President of the Senate no less.

I would suggest the likelihood of this being true at :d: :d: :d: :d: and I speak as a lauded AusPol statistician.

*1984 : The Australian Citizenship (Amendment) Act 1984 became effective on 22 November 1984 and made significant changes, including that Australian law would no longer regard Australians as "British subjects." British subjects in Australia who were not Australian citizens became permanent residents.[7]Australian passports are only to be issued to Australian citizens. At the same time, the residence period for naturalisation was reduced from 3 years to 2 years.

jesus loving christ what the gently caress is this

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Recoome posted:

wrong, any good academic knows that publishing something which is contentious but possible means you will get a trillion citations as people desperately try to refute your bullshit

look at Wakefield, 1997

:sci101: Wakefield was paid a few hundred g's before his study by a solicitor who planned to sue the MMR vaccine makers

quote:

ANDREW WAKEFIELD, the former surgeon whose campaign linking the MMR vaccine with autism caused a collapse in immunisation rates, was paid more than £400,000 by lawyers trying to prove that the vaccine was unsafe.

The payments, unearthed by The Sunday Times, were part of £3.4m distributed from the legal aid fund to doctors and scientists who had been recruited to support a now failed lawsuit against vaccine manufacturers.

Critics this weekend voiced amazement at the sums, which they said created a clear conflict of interest and were the “financial engine” behind a worldwide alarm over the triple measles, mumps and rubella shot.

“These figures are astonishing,” said Dr Evan Harris, Liberal Democrat MP for Oxford West and Abingdon.

“This lawsuit was an industry, and an industry peddling what turned out to be a myth.”

According to the figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act, Wakefield was paid £435,643 in fees, plus £3,910 expenses.

Wakefield’s work for the lawyers began two years before he published his now notorious report in The Lancet medical journal in February 1998, proposing a link between the vaccine and autism.

This suggestion, followed by a campaign led by Wakefield, caused immunisation rates to slump from 92% to 78.9%, although they have since partly recovered. In March this year the first British child in 14 years died from measles.

Later The Lancet retracted Wakefield’s claim and apologised after a Sunday Times investigation showed that his research had been backed with £55,000 from lawyers, and that the children in the study used as evidence against the vaccine were also claimants in the lawsuit.

At the time Wakefield denied any conflict of interest and said that the money went to his hospital, not to him personally. No disclosure was made, however, of the vastly greater sums that he was receiving directly from the lawyers.

He was originally just a paid off patsy to find "expert" reasons to sue, and went into business for himself.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I thought Ludlam was told about his status by a lone wolf conspiracy theorist lawyer.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Recoome posted:

"i don't like thinking because i am a big dumb babby who is smells and likes to smell my own bbutt" ~ Forums Poster Birdstrike, anno domini two thousand and seventeen

i was that babby

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does the Constitution prevent an Otaku from sitting in parliament?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

:sci101: Wakefield was paid a few hundred g's before his study by a solicitor who planned to sue the MMR vaccine makers

He was originally just a paid off patsy to find "expert" reasons to sue, and went into business for himself.

yeah but it still takes time to refute really bad science, so just go hog wild with bullshit

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Birdstrike posted:

I thought Ludlam was told about his status by a lone wolf conspiracy theorist lawyer.

Please dont dox me

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

jesus loving christ what the gently caress is this
* furiously counts citations *

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

JBP posted:

idk there isn't enough info in the article, but whatever. if ssm goes down ill just loving kill myself because its over

please don't, i'll miss you

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

yeah but it still takes time to refute really bad science, so just go hog wild with bullshit

It's also becoming easier to publish whatever the hell you want thanks to online pay to play journals. If you want to publish anything, and I do mean anything into a scientific sounding journal that will be able to fool anyone who doesn't know any better all you need is a couple of hundred dollars.

Get Me Off Your loving Mailing List, accepted for publication in the International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology (yes this is real)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Zenithe posted:

Get Me Off Your loving Mailing List, accepted for publication in the International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology (yes this is real)

now THAT'S science

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Zenithe posted:

It's also becoming easier to publish whatever the hell you want thanks to online pay to play journals. If you want to publish anything, and I do mean anything into a scientific sounding journal that will be able to fool anyone who doesn't know any better all you need is a couple of hundred dollars.

You're probably not going to fool anyone who matters by publishing in one of those journals. Even calling them journals is a bit of a stretch.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 2, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
According to the articles it was a Western Australian barrister who was actually looking into Hinch, who he thought was dumb enough to have not renounced. Instead, oops someone read the constitution again and our whole government fell apart.

Also mathematicians represent. Lots of people with math degrees ITT.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have a degree in political science :discourse:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hooman posted:

According to the articles it was a Western Australian barrister who was actually looking into Hinch, who he thought was dumb enough to have not renounced. Instead, oops someone read the constitution again and our whole government fell apart.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/7NewsAdelaide/status/925932977049104384

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Queensland election: LNP blocking release of details of political donation breaches

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-02/audit-of-lnp-political-donation-breaches-remains-secret/9109906

quote:

The Queensland Liberal National Party (LNP) has tried to block the release of documents detailing breaches of political donation rules — picked up during recent electoral commission audits.
ABC News was expecting to receive a number of documents after filing a Right to Information request with the Electoral Commission of Queensland (ECQ).
The information was due to be released in early October but was stalled because of "objections made by relevant third parties", according to the ECQ's Right to Information Officer.

The same inquiry regarding other political parties found the Greens had been inconsistent in their reporting of donations, One Nation had made excuses for missing reporting deadlines, and the ALP was forced to tighten its reporting system because of sloppy practices. But issues related to the LNP remain a secret because of continued and deliberate delays. The documents were initially deferred from release due to objections made by third parties.

When that deadline expired and the ECQ's Right to Information department was about to release the documents, it was delayed again when "third parties" ordered an internal review of the decision to release the papers.
The ECQ's Right to Information Officer told ABC News the documents might never be released.

"If the third party is still unsatisfied with the internal review decision made by the commission, they may choose to seek an external review from the Office of the Information Commissioner (OIC)," she said.
"As a result, the release of the remaining documents relating to your Right to Information request may be further delayed or refused."
The saga could drag on long after the November 25 election day.

LNP state director Michael O'Dwyer offered to explain some of the anomalies with the party's donation disclosures over the phone but declined to provide a copy of the audit summary report.

In a separate matter, the LNP has previously declined to disclose a number of donors who contributed more than $100,000 made to the Queensland LNP for its federal candidates last year, which it argued did not fall under the state's reporting rules.

Donations to state candidates above $1,000 must be declared while the federal threshold sits at $13,500.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/02/man-convicted-of-swearing-was-illegally-arrested-in-first-place-court-hears

quote:

In 2010, magistrate Pat O’Shane ruled that calling police officers “loving pigs” was not offensive.

Oh thats nice to know.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Look at this loving gremlin cop.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
poo poo's hosed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My understanding is that you don't even have to give your name unless their is an imminent or recent (as in just committed) crime and that you don't have to answer further questions beyond that even if that bar is met. This is in Vic but I imagine it is similar elsewhere.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Like there are designated areas and the like where search and investigation rules are loosened, but I am pretty sure you can't expand that into entire suburbs and it's only available if a few people have been physically assaulted or injured during a crime.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-02/parry-told-senior-colleague-citizenship-concerns-in-august/9112790

quote:

Stephen Parry confided he might have a dual citizenship problem to a Cabinet minister months ago but was advised not to raise the alarm, the ABC can reveal.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull criticised Mr Parry for not speaking up earlier, saying he was disappointed the former senator did not make the issue public earlier.
"He chose to delay his reporting of it, he should have reported it much earlier and it could have been referred to the High Court together with the other matters that were dealt with, the other citizenship-by-descent cases," Mr Turnbull said.
The ABC understands Mr Parry is upset his integrity has been called into question and angry he is now facing criticism when he was advised not to say anything.
It is understood he feels betrayed and that his reputation is damaged.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hahaha, could it be anyone other than Brandis?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kick them out!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Turnbull throwing Parry under the bus after the government was conspiring to conceal his citizenship is pretty nauseating

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I bet the name of the source rhymes with Steven Barry.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

Turnbull throwing Parry under the bus after the government was conspiring to conceal his citizenship is pretty nauseating

Turnbull throwing Parry under the bus after the government was conspiring to conceal his citizenship is pretty much exactly what i would expect from those assholes, that pit full of snakes.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

JBP posted:

My understanding is that you don't even have to give your name unless their is an imminent or recent (as in just committed) crime and that you don't have to answer further questions beyond that even if that bar is met. This is in Vic but I imagine it is similar elsewhere.

Pretty sure they took away the right to silence in NSW a few years ago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lid posted:

The NSW Young Liberals have provoked a strong reaction on social media after posting a photograph in support of embattled ice-cream manufacturer Streets on its Facebook page.

The photograph posted by the NSW Young Liberals features a man and a woman holding Cornettos, a brand of ice-cream made by Streets.

A caption beneath the photograph reads: "Quick #cornettocaucus to support Streets ice-cream. Nothing wrong with Australian jobs and investment."

I was putting a box of Streets Magnums in my shopping trolley last night and a guy walking past with his family stopped and reminded me to boycott them because they're trying to slash workers payments by 46%, and I was ashamed to have forgotten.

I put them back and got a box of Golden North Honey Giant Twins instead.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bandaid.friend posted:

Turnbull throwing Parry under the bus after the government was conspiring to conceal his citizenship is pretty nauseating hilarious

FTFY

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Turnbull throwing Parry under the bus after the government was conspiring to conceal his citizenship is pretty much exactly what i would expect from those assholes, that pit full of snakes.

This too.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
That bus is going to need a serious amount of truck wash.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Was this posted already? What the gently caress?!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/02/tony-abbott-attacks-cabinet-in-speech-to-us-anti-gay-group

Tony Abbott attacks cabinet in speech to US anti-gay group
Former PM tells Alliance Defending Freedom the marriage equality campaign has mobilised the right

quote:

Tony Abbott has criticised Malcolm Turnbull’s cabinet for refusing to campaign against marriage equality and warned that the Australian Conservatives, led by Cory Bernardi, will be the beneficiary of new “activated” conservative campaigners.
In a speech delivered in New York to the anti-gay Alliance Defending Freedom group, which is classed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Centre, Abbott has claimed that a 40% no vote in the marriage law postal survey would be a “moral victory”.

Abbott claimed that polling for the no campaign showed that support for marriage equality had fallen to about 50%, with about 40% opposed and 10% undecided.
The former prime minister said the no campaign was a “nucleus of an organisation” that could represent 40% of Australians and become a counterweight to the progressive campaign organisation GetUp.

“Such robust characters, once activated, are unlikely to fade away; and could continue to make their presence felt, even after marriage is no longer an issue, because they’ve had the guts to campaign for a cause they believe in,” he said.
Abbott noted that marriage equality was supported by both Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten, 60 large businesses and “most of the major sporting codes”.
Conservative campaigners would “understandably be wondering who and what might represent them in the years ahead” because “no cabinet minister, not one, in the centre-right government [was] prepared to campaign with them”.

A host of Turnbull government ministers have campaigned for the no side, including Zed Seselja, but campaigning by cabinet members has been more muted, with conservatives including Peter Dutton limiting their activities to warning about the need to protect religious freedom and Matt Canavan conducting most of his activities while he had stood down from cabinet.

Abbott suggested that despite the weight of public opinion polling suggesting the yes campaign is on track for victory, the result could “swing either way” because people have been reluctant to identify as no voters in polls.
“Win, lose, or draw, though, starting from scratch two months ago, the campaign for marriage in my country has mobilised thousands of new activists; and created a network that could be deployed to defend western civilisation more broadly and the Judeo-Christian ethic against all that’s been undermining it,’’ he said.

“So far, the campaign to defend marriage in Australia has raised over $6m from more than 20,000 separate donors, and fielded more than 5,000 volunteers to doorknock and phone canvass.”
Abbott warned the lack of conservative representation in the Liberal party would mean in the short term that “the embryonic Australian Conservatives, the only national political party whose leader backed marriage as it’s ­always been” would be the beneficiary of the new conservative movement.

The Australian Conservatives is one of 80 groups that make up the no campaign’s Coalition for Marriage. In August its federal leader, Cory Bernardi, told Guardian Australia it was good the marriage campaign had resulted in “a coordinated perspective on the conservative side of politics”.

Asked how campaign infrastructure, such as a volunteer list, should be put to use after the campaign, Bernardi said: “There’s strength in numbers, in being able to communicate with people of a like mind for any lobbying organisation.”
Abbott suggested in the medium term conservative activists would help oppose “the long march of the left through our institutions” and stand up for pro-market socially conservative beliefs. “If you don’t believe, you won’t fight; and if you don’t fight, you can’t win,” he said.

He said conservative activists should organise counter-rallies against progressive protests, reject “identity politics” and support the values of “centre-right party MPs [which] can no longer be assumed and often need to be buttressed”.
Abbott warned the Victorian government was preparing to give “doctors the right to kill some patients”, which may become a prototype for voluntary assisted dying laws nationally.

In a speech on Wednesday to the Victorian Community Law LGBTI Forum, the Labor leader in the Senate, Penny Wong, said the marriage equality postal survey had “just about run its course”.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics will count votes received by 7 November before announcing the results on 15 November.
Wong said Australians had “seen the best and worst of our country” including a campaign of “hate and misinformation” that had been predicted by pro-marriage equality parties who opposed the survey.

She took aim at the decision of the Sydney Anglican church to donate $1m to the no campaign, describing it as “mystifying” why it had made the donation rather than spend it on the services provided by charity Anglicare.
“I agree with Anglicare South Australia’s Peter Sandeman, who says, ‘Where there is money to be spent the focus should be on ensuring those who are most vulnerable have the care, support and voice they need to build a better life,’” she said, citing Jesus’s example in Matthew chapter 25 verses 31 to 46.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

starting to come to the conclusion that turnbull is actually worse at politics than abbott, which is something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cartoon posted:

That bus is going to need a serious amount of truck wash.

Cartoon, I want to bring to your attention that you made a comment that Vegemite wasn't Australian. Actually the Bega Cheese Group has brought Vegemite from Kraft/Phillip Morris at the start of the year. I do hope you make a correction about this.

• Locked thread