Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

the train's windows and signage look like a face laughing.

e: new page tax

"When someone else falls for a joke/trick and saves you the embarrassment"
https://i.imgur.com/AWYUtOr.gifv

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

every post after his post has been less funny than the original picture

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/925831602965569537

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is sort of interesting that they dealt with a stream on a steep incline as a series of grassy flat terraces rather than a solid concrete U-shape. When the water level is low you can easily cross on foot. Not really funny, but we don't have a vaguely interesting pictures thread.

You'll find the same kind of thing in places in the Alps. It means that the stream is not always that small and harmless.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zopotantor posted:

You'll find the same kind of thing in places in the Alps. It means that the stream is not always that small and harmless.

it makes sense in mountainous regions, where you've got a stream that's usually small but gets way bigger in the spring when the snow melts. You can plan for that regular cycle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zopotantor posted:

I know, we have streams like that here too. But when they add concrete they tend to use steep sides, so even during the summer when the creek bed is nearly dry you wouldn't easily be able to cross except at the bridges.

Not a funny picture.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

:trumppop:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I know, we have streams like that here too. But when they add concrete they tend to use steep sides, so even during the summer when the creek bed is nearly dry you wouldn't easily be able to cross except at the bridges.

Not a funny picture.

Lol at this.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not a funny picture.
putting hard edges on a slippery breezeway sounds like a great way to increase head trauma statistics

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elizabethan Error posted:

putting hard edges on a slippery breezeway sounds like a great way to increase head trauma statistics

It needs a roof to be a breezeway

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alaois posted:

Was this ever used with anything other than Phantasy Star?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Alaois posted:

That's some Typing of the Dead poo poo right there.

Edit:

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Nov 2, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
gotta jupm all

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/kellanstec/status/925803342395248651

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chinatown Wars was a really cool GTA game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Just Pocket Monica.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For those who like that kind of thing, there's an entire thread dedicated to bootleg/knockoff stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

For those who like that kind of thing, there's an entire thread dedicated to bootleg/knockoff stuff.

Sledge Hammer! was one of my favorite shows as a kid. My dad and I used to watch it by ourselves because my mom and sister hated it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is sort of interesting that they dealt with a stream on a steep incline as a series of grassy flat terraces rather than a solid concrete U-shape. When the water level is low you can easily cross on foot. Not really funny, but we don't have a vaguely interesting pictures thread.

I know this is a derail but a solid concrete U shape is an awful stream profile for both aquatic life and stormwater management. What you're looking at in the picture is a kind of overly engineered step-pool setup that kinda vaugely​ mimics a natural stream profile. The concrete walls are set up as weirs to handle high flows, and the wide terraces help dissipate energy as the water drops and spreads. So this helps control erosion or flooding down stream.

If it was just a U-shaped trough, the water would run down through there like a bowling ball down a waterslide. And just the same, whatever is at the end is going to take a beating.

So basically, do never concrete streambanks.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not a funny picture.

Like, this is 100% one of the best ways to gently caress up a stream and exacerbate flooding. It used to be done everywhere, even for simple aesthetic purposes, but putting high walls, levees, etc. usually leads to heartbreak somewhere down the line.

LogisticEarth has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Nov 2, 2017

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

LogisticEarth posted:

So basically, do never concrete streambanks.

Or overhanging culverts, unless you hate aquatic life.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
motherfucking duck ramps

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Guy Goodbody posted:

motherfucking duck ramps

A congressman got ridiculously mad that these existed and tweeted about how it was government waste.

Everyone was like "what, now the ducks can get in and out of the reflecting pool, that's good".

Then when people added his outrage to his wikipedia page, he had his staffers go back and remove it.

Then he denied it when people called his office and asked if he was the one who did it, even though the edits came from the House of Representatives' IP address and an IP in his home district.

Duck ramps, man. Duck ramps.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

No ring. :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hahahahhah, that's loving hilarious. Amazing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

:vince:

Fuckin' good one, dude

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i asked my toddler about this picture

she said "it's mickey mouse... he's driving the train"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Teddybear posted:

Duck ramps, man. Duck ramps.

Ducks are free loaders that don't deserve hand outs :colbert:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dreddout posted:

But do they deserve a hand up?

Up into the pond?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

PaulBearer posted:

So I scrolled down on that page...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkFUWoRQG8

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

What that fun bird smiley Emote? That but a duck.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
:duckie:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dreddout posted:

They don't want it for free, you can just put it on their bill

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

LogisticEarth posted:

I know this is a derail but a solid concrete U shape is an awful stream profile for both aquatic life and stormwater management. What you're looking at in the picture is a kind of overly engineered step-pool setup that kinda vaugely​ mimics a natural stream profile. The concrete walls are set up as weirs to handle high flows, and the wide terraces help dissipate energy as the water drops and spreads. So this helps control erosion or flooding down stream.

Also, afaik, you don't need a permit to fish in Japan, which means that tons of people do it, all the time. If they didn't make the river accessible the fire department would be getting tons of calls from people who climbed down to fish and are now stuck.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Lobok posted:

Would have been great if Rowling had included "ejaculated" somewhere in the books and then just went "what, I'm honouring the great Sir Arthur Conan Doyle... *winks*" in response to the inevitable outrage.

Some fine folks did wonderful things with the Harry Potter audio books.

https://youtu.be/FwJlrj8CNzk

Pretty sure I heard ejaculate somewhere in there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LogisticEarth posted:

Like, this is 100% one of the best ways to gently caress up a stream and exacerbate flooding. It used to be done everywhere, even for simple aesthetic purposes, but putting high walls, levees, etc. usually leads to heartbreak somewhere down the line.

Oh yeah, that stream is super hosed up. Over the last hundred years several kilometers of the stream have been completely roofed over with roads and parking lots. What hasn't been roofed over was straightened and forced into narrow manmade channels.

What a delightful creek.

A few years ago they started a 100 year plan to fix it. lol

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sledge Hammer! was one of my favorite shows as a kid. My dad and I used to watch it by ourselves because my mom and sister hated it.

:same:

would have gone all Gumbel 2 Gumbel to get it back too