Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Honest question. Apart from not requiring a motorcycle license in some areas, what's the point of this kind of bike? Does it offer any actual benefit over a normal bike (suspension geometry, grip, etc?) or is it just trying to attract people who think that two wheels means you fall over at the slightest provocation?

Double the front contact area, and with proper suspension setup theoretically considerably improved grip and feel under heavy braking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Honest question. Apart from not requiring a motorcycle license in some areas, what's the point of this kind of bike? Does it offer any actual benefit over a normal bike (suspension geometry, grip, etc?) or is it just trying to attract people who think that two wheels means you fall over at the slightest provocation?

I don't think so. You have 2x the front grip, but you also have a lot more weight. The front, already a heavy part on any bike, is around twice as heavy, and that costs grip to haul around a curve. If they have been inspired by the sales of the Piaggio MP3, they're missing the point. The biggest benefit of that can be seen on a rainy Paris morning, commuters at red lights don't have to put their feet out from under the rain cover.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The real benefit is that now people who otherwise would have bought a can-am can buy a niken instead, and not have us laugh at/pity them quite so hard.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Honest question. Apart from not requiring a motorcycle license in some areas

How do you figure?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

How do you figure?

American motorcycle licensing is a mishmash of random ideas with no rhyme or reason, and some states only require a regular driver's license for tricycles. Usually the same places that don't have helmet laws.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

American motorcycle licensing is a mishmash of random ideas with no rhyme or reason, and some states only require a regular driver's license for tricycles. Usually the same places that don't have helmet laws.

AKA the free states. :smug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

JB50 posted:

AKA the free states. :smug:

God bless my state. I ventured into Ohio and you aren't allowed to use a vaporizer outside. I quickly ran back to Kentucky and its Smokey Bars of Freedom, where you can get a temporary license by passing a short, written test, then legally hop on a S1000RR and renew your temps every 6 months indefinitely.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Similar in Europe. One of the main selling points of the Piaggio MP3 here is you can ride it on a car license and don't need a motorcycle license, which makes it very popular for commuting.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Does it make sense anywhere?

I learned to ride in rural Kenya. On a little CG125 clone. I live/lived so far away from civilization that I didn't bother trying to get a license. Or register my bike. The "police" out here know me, they know I'm not going far on the bike (the nearest city would be about a 5h ride away). So licensing here is a joke.

When I went home, I got my motorcycle license in Ontario, Canada. It's graduated licencing. It actually mostly makes sense. It's 3 levels, m1, M2 and M. There's also restricted ones you can get for mopeds or 3-wheelers.

M1 is just a written test and an "eye exam". There's no size restrictions, but it's daylight only, with no roads/highway with limits above 80kph, no passengers, and zero alcohol.

M2 takes away all those restrictions except the 0 alcohol. But you can only have your M2 for up to 2 years. You need to upgrade before that or you start at 0 again.

M is full lifetime with no restrictions.

Anyway, I got my m1 did a Canadian MSF equivalent. That gave me my M2 after only 2 months. Except for the course, I didn't ride or own a motorcycle in this time. So basically, after 2 months of nothing, and a couple weekends of avoiding cones in a parking lot, I was fully qualified to ride anything anywhere.

Then I moved to Florida (I married an American). They didn't have an equivalent to an M2, so they just gave me a full, unrestricted license. No helmet laws, nothing. I had intended to buy a cheap bike to commute in Florida, but the drivers there were terrible and terrifying, so I didn't. (I lived just outside Disney. On my 20 total minutes of driving to/from work each day, it was odd for me to not see 2 accidents. Seriously, get your poo poo together Florida.)

Now I'm back in Kenya, and I've still never ridden on pavement besides the MSF, yet I'm qualified to ride any size of bike anywhere in North America (minimum, I don't know who has reciprocity agreements for bikes.)

As a pilot, this weird the poo poo out of me. Every time I want to fly a different aircraft, it's a bunch of tests and people looking at my experience.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

St_Ides posted:

M2 takes away all those restrictions except the 0 alcohol. But you can only have your M2 for up to 2 years. You need to upgrade before that or you start at 0 again.
M2 lasts 5 years, with minimum of 22 months before doing your full M or 18 months with a certified course.

Plus you have to do an M2 within 90 days of the M1 or you start over again.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 27, 2017

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

St_Ides posted:

M is full lifetime with no restrictions.

So as much alcohol as you want???

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

nsaP posted:

God bless my state. I ventured into Ohio and you aren't allowed to use a vaporizer outside. I quickly ran back to Kentucky and its Smokey Bars of Freedom, where you can get a temporary license by passing a short, written test, then legally hop on a S1000RR and renew your temps every 6 months indefinitely.

You can vape outside and renew your temps every year to ride your sweet Busa in Ohio too. Half of my MSF class years ago was old dudes who had been riding their hogs on temps forever. Pretty sure the only reason they even wanted an actual M endorsement was so they could legally ride with the old lady on the back.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Voltage posted:

So as much alcohol as you want???

In Ontario: up to 0.049 you're legal. 0.05 to 0.079 the cops will take your car for the night and order you to walk home, but you don't get charged with anything. 0.08 and above you go to jail.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

"I ride better after a few beers anyway"

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

M2 lasts 5 years, with minimum of 22 months before doing your full M or 18 months with a certified course.

Plus you have to do an M2 within 90 days of the M1 or you start over again.

Ah. I was getting things confused with the 22 month thing. It's been a while since I've thought about it. I stand corrected.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, yeah, why would you?! :D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/hUgMo7y.mp4

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yammien00b?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

Yammien00b?

that's pretty rude, please apologize to the cool guy in the wheelchair

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
On the topic of bikes with too many wheels: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPSDDpbhdc1/

Most of their stuff reminds me of H. R. Giger art. It's weird as poo poo but I don't hate it.

e: nvm most of it is terrible and bloated and ugly

60 Hertz Jig fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 31, 2017

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

60 Hertz Jig posted:

On the topic of bikes with too many wheels: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPSDDpbhdc1/

Most of their stuff reminds me of H. R. Giger art. It's weird as poo poo but I don't hate it.

e: nvm most of it is terrible and bloated and ugly

The bike/quad/thing, in the video looks a lot like the Dodge Tomahawk.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Are those frame sliders on that Supermoto for the engine casing/shifter?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Are those frame sliders on that Supermoto for the engine casing/shifter?

Looks like pegs from a BMX bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha that owns.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I thought this was pretty useful in terms of an explanation.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:aaaaa: I'm saving this, thank you. That makes carb troubleshooting and tuning so much easier.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also see this guide. It's the best and even has that graphic in it, or a slightly different one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

current dashboard status: lookin pretty fuckin vaporwave

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

:gizz:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Kickstarter projects never come through on time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

More pics plz

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

You're a goddamn hero sage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Hhhhnnnngggggg

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Kickstarter projects never come through on time.

That's okay by me, the Vitpilen Aero is also looking to take forever to come out. It's the perfect donor bike for that dashboard and a bunch of EL wire/tape.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

This is still very good and I want one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was looking for pictures of nc30/vfrs and found an art on GIS.

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

:awesomelon::awesomelon::awesomelon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush put that on Kickstarter, become a bazillionnaire and make the vaporwave bike of our dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Above all, that's a really good photo.

I'm really impressed with you for bringing this to fruition. It looks really good, and I want to buy one.