Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Taibbi's very long apology
https://m.facebook.com/matt.taibbi/posts/10155412615564652

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Also, scroll down to underneath where it's posted again but not as one giant block of text.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Are there any examples of people who have been rehabilitated via apologies after the zeitgeist decides that they are "problematic"?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Weembles posted:

Are there any examples of people who have been rehabilitated via apologies after the zeitgeist decides that they are "problematic"?

PG Wodehouse?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Paladin posted:

PG Wodehouse?

I always chalked that one up to people just assuming he was too clueless to know what he was doing rather than any effort on his part.

Also, he spent the entire rest of his life in exile.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think the main appeal of the Russia stuff is seeing colorful crooks get caught and punished. There are a lot people who expect Trump and the Republican party to be embarrassed and Trump voters to finally catch on and abandon him, and they're foolish to believe that. However, a lot of people are just happy to see some people get what's coming to them, and that's probably what's going to happen.

As for the substance of the Russia stuff, here's a Politico article featuring the actual factual Russian Facebook ads

Three main takeaways here: 1) Whoever bought these particular ads spent about $1342 to do so, which is crazy, but...

2) The influence these ads had is all over the place. Politico leads with the Black Lives Matter ad, which had hundreds of thousands of impressions, but it's not as if Russia killed the black men featured in those ads or as if they were the impetus for talking bout their murders. I'd estimate the median amount of impressions these ads got is one thousand, which is pretty good for two bucks, but I would say not something that's going to drastically alter the electoral results.

3) These are the ads that were selected by the House intelligence panel to illustrate the effect Russia had with their ads. That means that these are probably the most effective ads representative of their style. In other words, that BLM ad is not the only BLM ad the Russians bought, but just the most popular. That means that all the other ads were probably not as effective. On the other hand, they could have bought a hundred of these ads each for about 100,000 dollars and gotten many more impressions than what we see here, which could have had a more substantial impact. It's hard to say.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 2, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

george w bush

oh wait apologies never mind

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
does "i'm sorry for getting caught" count?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Weembles posted:

slick willy

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Weembles posted:

Mel Gibson is too good at making movies to be banished permanently. Unless he rapes or kills someone I guess.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dmitri-9 posted:

Mel Gibson is too good at making movies to be banished permanently. Unless he rapes or kills someone I guess.

that reminds me I'm about due for an apocalypto rewatch

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Sure. But Jeff Sessions being fired is still good.

It helps if your opponents are under a dark cloud all the time. It depresses their side.

That something isn't enough, or that it can lead to complacency, doesn't mean it can't also be good.

It's kind of like ISIS or al Quaeda, every time a high level guy gets killed or captured they get replaced with someone slightly less competent.

So if Sessions gets indicted or fired or whatever, he will be replaced by someone even less cunning and more overtly racist who will hopefully flame out in even more spectacular fashion.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Weembles posted:

http://backissues.com/issue/Newsweek-May-19-1986

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Really sucks that TARFU is dead so soon. That was one of my favorite new political podcasts. I hope Taibbi can move on to something else soon.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Nixon (and W) is exactly who I was thinking of. Just vanish for a bit, then show back up on the scene as if nothing had ever happened. Apologies are for chumps.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

FlamingLiberal posted:

Really sucks that TARFU is dead so soon. That was one of my favorite new political podcasts. I hope Taibbi can move on to something else soon.

Same but with Pareene. I've been reading that guy since his Wonkette/Salon days and he's always been a keen observer of political bullshit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

the "Jewel or Mao?" segment of the tarfu report is probably the most i've ever laughed at audio

it's at minute 58 here http://tarfureport.libsyn.com/26-progressive-liberal-daniel-richards-wrestler-jewel-or-mao

Tony Robins or Hitler was great too

Malcolm Gladwell or Unabomber was the best of these.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/GeorgeForeman/status/925736703893164032

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

The problem is that liberals, the #resistance and the DNC are banking everything on the Trump investigation while furiously purging any vaguely left leaning people from Democratic party.

I dunno. It depends on who you are talking about.

Democratic voters' current priorities aren't 'Russia poo poo' and as far as I know, no one has been running for Congress or the Senate under a platform of 'Let's impeach Donald Trump because of Russia' just yet. Liberals and progressives have gotten involved more in things like the marches, the protests over the travel ban, the attempts at blocking AHCA passing, etc.

The DNC does suck.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

The Russian Spectre is the phantasm which arose from the contradictions of the 2016 election. Interference is imagined to be the source of the contradictions, rather than a fantasy which attempts to resolve them *sniff*.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Once the Russian bear is no longer a threat, we can finally come together and a nation to tackle the deficit and reform entitlements.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Democratic voters' current priorities aren't 'Russia poo poo' and as far as I know, no one has been running for Congress or the Senate under a platform of 'Let's impeach Donald Trump because of Russia' just yet. Liberals and progressives have gotten involved more in things like the marches, the protests over the travel ban, the attempts at blocking AHCA passing, etc.

The DNC does suck.
Sometimes we forget that your average Democratic voter, even your average middle-class liberal, is not as brain-worms crazy as the Hillary fan club on Twitter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Sometimes we forget that your average Democratic voter, even your average middle-class liberal, is not as brain-worms crazy as the Hillary fan club on Twitter.

Yes. People think Facebook is the worst but most people I actually know who support Hillary are in favor of many of the same things as I am, but just deluded into thinking she was gonna get them there. On twitter I just got crazy 8 percenter nonsense beamed into my feed by leftists I follow.

For example:
https://twitter.com/brandyljensen/status/926074858747908101

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

Pretty crazy article about the DNC and Clinton campaign's shady financial shenanigans by... Donna Brazile?!

quote:

He described the party as fully under the control of Hillary’s campaign, which seemed to confirm the suspicions of the Bernie camp. The campaign had the DNC on life support, giving it money every month to meet its basic expenses, while the campaign was using the party as a fund-raising clearing house.

quote:

When I was manager of Gore’s campaign in 2000, we started inserting our people into the DNC in June. This victory fund agreement, however, had been signed in August 2015, just four months after Hillary announced her candidacy and nearly a year before she officially had the nomination.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 2, 2017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Is it felix or virgil who regularly joke about people turning into ribeye steaks like in cartoons
chapo reality bending is real

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes. People think Facebook is the worst but most people I actually know who support Hillary are in favor of many of the same things as I am, but just deluded into thinking she was gonna get them there. On twitter I just got crazy 8 percenter nonsense beamed into my feed by leftists I follow.

For example:
https://twitter.com/brandyljensen/status/926074858747908101

My favorite Hillary Twitter person is Jen Kirkman

https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/status/925927787998871552

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/BRANDONWARDELL/status/925918054755610624

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

This was me

it wasn't but that theater is the local art house theater and they have retro movies on fridays

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

does she mean jew or what

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
She said "Bernie Bro" and he booed her, so in her own words, she went on a long unfunny rant like any extremely normal comedian does when they get heckled.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Where the gently caress is my Grey Wolf episode? I pay $1.25 for these episodes, I demand satisfaction!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Weembles posted:

I've only ever seen it lead to Twitter trolls racing to figure out who can accuse the dumb d-list twitter personality of the day of the most disingenuous thing possible without breaking character.

What's weird is now I'm starting to see the twitter hivemind actually go after people who are somewhat capable of intellectually defending themselves. I'm not sure if that's just me being Really Online lately or if they've just gotten more ballsy lately.

They Hunger.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirkman is legit nuts

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lol this is amazing

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I thought the November 4th thing was some dumb left Twitter but it's an actual right wing psychosis? :shepface:

Also, Matt confirmed as best Chapo. A nice steak for Thanksgiving is way better than some dry as gently caress turkey.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Listening to this episode while getting to watch the twitter fury over Krang and Matt was truly great.

Also Turkey is good as hell, but its the cranberry sauce / stuffing that bring it all together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The best way to serve a Thanksgiving turkey is already carved up, alongside the potatoes and gravy. My family has never carved a turkey at the Thanksgiving table, and I've never had dry turkey.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Everyone should have a dry as a bone turkey once just so you have a true appreciation of gravy imo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gravy is gross as hell. If the turkey isn't good I'll just help myself to more bread, sweet potatoes and stuffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Turkey sucks, just roast a chicken or a duck in the oven. They taste better and are easier to make.