Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ugh. I love the leather Saddle Brown, but after a while it turns too gross. I like it a little bit worn, but it looks like poo poo and impossible to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That article's descriptions of all the new gestures and things you have to do sound like the most annoying thing possible to interact with. Yet I'm still going to buy it because I make poor life choices and I like the general design a lot. It's going to be a fun 12 months :D

Also battery life seems a little better on my 7 with 11.1 (although not as good as 10) but now my internet speed connecting to my home wifi has plummeted (everything else on the network is fine). Wonder what's going on with this thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This deal is back if anyone was still interested. They are great at $63.00 and at least the pair I got were band new.

Beats X

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-geek-squad-certified-refurbished-beatsx-earphones-black/5732542.p?skuId=5732542

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

obi_ant posted:

Ugh. I love the leather Saddle Brown, but after a while it turns too gross. I like it a little bit worn, but it looks like poo poo and impossible to clean.

Just get the black case then. Mine has gone smooth on the corners but otherwise looks like it did when brand new.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pzy posted:

Gotta get that patina, boys

This is why god doesn’t love us.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

pzy posted:

Gotta get that patina, boys

Still not as good as the watch thread putting thousands of dollars in piss.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Matt Zerella posted:

you cant just say this and not link it for the rest of us

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buglord posted:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

MarcusSA posted:

This deal is back if anyone was still interested. They are great at $63.00 and at least the pair I got were band new.

Beats X

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-geek-squad-certified-refurbished-beatsx-earphones-black/5732542.p?skuId=5732542

If only Best Buy shipped internationally. :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

buglord posted:

Go look back in the watch thread in YLLS. They're in there somewhere.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Matt Zerella posted:

Go look back in the watch thread in YLLS. They're in there somewhere.

That’s not a link!

Also: case arrived. Holy poo poo what did I get myself into with TinyPhone!

All (half)kidding aside, there will be some benefits, like easier handling when laying in bed with my 2 toddlers, and not hurting myself when I fall asleep reading the internet and having the phone Konk me in the face.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

It wasn’t just piss, my dude.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Did I win?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

rage-saq posted:

Did I win?

You’re like 5th, my man.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Feenix posted:

You’re like 5th, my man.

gently caress.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Case chat: I tried the leather and just got a bit stressed every time I hosed it up. I want a silicone case, but my popsocket will not stick. I feel like there are no perfect case options.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I think the leather case is designed to form a patina and get beaten up over time. My leather case for my iPhone 7 looks awesome, but I'm really into the whole naturally worn leather thing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Snowmankilla posted:

got a bit stressed every time I hosed it up.

It's leather, that's the point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The entire point of leather is how it wears ugggggh gooons!!!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Snowmankilla posted:

Case chat: I tried the leather and just got a bit stressed every time I hosed it up. I want a silicone case, but my popsocket will not stick. I feel like there are no perfect case options.

I have literally scratched the poo poo out if my Apple leather cases. Not only does leather heal, but you can rub a leather conditioner on it to erase that kind of stuff and make it more supple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So general FYI, stores in he area I work with started to get inventory, anywhere from 20-40ish for launch. So it isn’t as much as a “normal” launch (which would be 60-100 depending on store size), but it’s more than I was personally expecting. So if you’re hunting for s phone Friday, if you get up early you got a good shot.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
The leather Apple uses is paper thin. Any scratch on my case exposed the glossy plastic underneath. It looked loving awful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Xenomorph posted:

The leather Apple uses is paper thin. Any scratch on my case exposed the glossy plastic underneath. It looked loving awful.

Well for $45. Apple is probably barely breaking even.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Xenomorph posted:

Is there an alternative that has better leather on it though?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Have you tried "polishing" the leather? Because if you scratch it with your fingernail, that's not white plastic that's showing.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
No the plastic under it is definitely a shiny black plastic, my corners are rubbed off and it's showing.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

Is this sarcasm? My thick leather wallet was like $15.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

io_burn posted:

Is there an alternative that has better leather on it though?

I've purchased over half a dozen leather cases from several manufacturers. Some might have better leather, but none of them worked as well as Apple's case for me to even bother using them for any length of time.

Most 3rd-party leather cases I used completely lacked any sort of lip protection that the official Apple leather case has.

The best compromise I found of decent protection (as far as you can get with a wide-open bottom) paired with "doesn't look like rear end when scuffed up or dirty" is Apple's black leather case.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Yes Im sure Apple of all companies is just 'breaking even' on a $75AUD leather phone cover.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Michael Scott posted:

Is this sarcasm? My thick leather wallet was like $15.

Thick leather is much cheaper than thin leather.

Edit: not to defend apple here, they obviously make a profit, but your argument is misinformed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes it was sarcasm

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

one of our co-op students called my saddle brown an "old man phone case" and i noticed my 60+ yr old boss and his c-suite friends all use similar beat to poo poo leather cases on their flagship phones

im ok with that

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I get that leather wears and gets darker and dirtier. But loving the Saddle Brown goes from a light brown to a black poo poo looking color in like 6 months.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's great.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So... if I am not one of the 4 major carriers, am I SOL in trying to get an iPhone X to work with my carrier (Cricket Wireless) until the unlocked versions come out?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Etrips posted:

So... if I am not one of the 4 major carriers, am I SOL in trying to get an iPhone X to work with my carrier (Cricket Wireless) until the unlocked versions come out?

just pretend you are with VZW their stock should be sim-unlocked

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Etrips posted:

AT&T phones should work on Cricket. It’s just AT&T prepaid under a different name.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pivo posted:

just pretend you are with VZW their stock should be sim-unlocked

I need a GSM phone in order to use Cricket's sim card. Verizon use CDMA.

AT&T wanted account information to purchase an iPhone.

edit: However T-Mobile does not... great I picked the wrong carrier at the pre-order launch :(

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Etrips posted:

I need a GSM phone in order to use Cricket's sim card. Verizon use CDMA.

The phone is not CDMA exclusive though dude. It still takes a nano sim and connects to all the same bands as its brother, in addition to the CDMA bands
Check it here: https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone-x/specs/

Also it uses a Qualcomm modem unlike the GSM-only brother using an Intel modem, apparently has slightly better performance characteristics, but I'm seeing people claim like 10mbit faster when at the edge of viable signal strength, so it's not a concern

But VZW iPhones are not CDMA exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Huh, didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Either way I'm going to have to get lucky and see if stores will even have any stock without camping out for it.