Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

JcDent posted:

One time I was a Rogue Trader, I was super protective of my redshirts and always looked after Imperium's interests.

I'm weird like that.

Ah the long con. I like it. Get the rep as a good guy to work for and loyal to the Imperium and it will mean less visits from the Inquisition and less crew members grassing you up in ports for your shady shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

One time I was a Rogue Trader, I was super protective of my redshirts and always looked after Imperium's interests.

I'm weird like that.

Same but my table-top Imperial Guardsmen.

I didn't win very often back when I played.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I wanted to play as IG on the table because I felt like Space Marines, as elites, should by played by an elite player.

Of course, IG is the worst army for me to play - a lot of painting, a lot of dying - so I'm playing Space Marines.

And losing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JcDent posted:

I wanted to play as IG on the table because I felt like Space Marines, as elites, should by played by an elite player.

Of course, IG is the worst army for me to play - a lot of painting, a lot of dying - so I'm playing Space Marines.

And losing.

Sounds like you need More Tanks. The answer is always More Tanks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

But then you don't really have Guardsmen, do ya? Though I'd love to cram 500pts of carapace Veterans (if they were a thing) into a Stormlord for a 1000pts army.

Can't wait for the new dex.

Speaking of tabletops: dice and probabilities. I still don't understand why using, say, a d20 in Infinity is bad. Sure, you have equal chances to roll any of the 20 numbers, but you're not rolling for actual numbers. If you're rolling under 15, you have a no poo poo better probability to roll better than someone who rolls under 11.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Well surely that's just because he didn't know to recite the Litany of the Vacuum; if he had done so, the Emperor would have shielded him.

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer advises troopers that find themselves in space to try and swim back toward the hull breach in the ship.

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is a work of art. So much fun.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is a work of art. So much fun.

I really liked it better than the Munitorum Manual, the IIUP is some of the better parody I've read because it (unlike the MM) takes itself completely seriously.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

JcDent posted:

But then you don't really have Guardsmen, do ya? Though I'd love to cram 500pts of carapace Veterans (if they were a thing) into a Stormlord for a 1000pts army.

Can't wait for the new dex.

Speaking of tabletops: dice and probabilities. I still don't understand why using, say, a d20 in Infinity is bad. Sure, you have equal chances to roll any of the 20 numbers, but you're not rolling for actual numbers. If you're rolling under 15, you have a no poo poo better probability to roll better than someone who rolls under 11.

Flat distribution vs bell curve. I don't really care either way but I guess a single d20 offers simplicity at the expense of getting a binary output (success/fail), while multiple d6 give you granularity in your results (e.g. a high chance of doing ok and a small chance of doing better than ok), at the expense of taking longer.

I don't know how Infinity works so I might be inferring wrong.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Infinity is a roll under system, so in a simple test, you try to roll under your score, but more than the opponent. If you roll the exact number, it's a crit. Units skills usually hover in the 11-15 range, but you can get a lot of modifiers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

If they needed helmets then you'd give them helmets, obviously. But they don't need them, because they are loyal and the Emperor Protects those who are loyal. Pancake Tuesday or Waffle Wednesday has shown to increase crew satisfaction by at least 10%. Most of them don't even know what a pancake or a waffle is so its easy to trick them at no extra cost. All Rogue Traders are bastards and I love it.

Look, helmets and space suits are available at the company store for only a modest markup. The crew can use their company scrip to pay for them, assuming they feel the need to buy those things over, I dunno, toothpaste and food and whatever else we sell at the company store.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So now that I have some experience with DW and DH (and less experience with RT), what PC stuff is OP/broken in Only War?

I'm not even asking if there is some blatantly broken stuff, because I'm sure there's something!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JcDent posted:

So now that I have some experience with DW and DH (and less experience with RT), what PC stuff is OP/broken in Only War?

I'm not even asking if there is some blatantly broken stuff, because I'm sure there's something!

Krak missiles, and by extent any high pen weapons. That sounds like a joke, but in a game where you're guardsmen, if you throw traitor marines at them, they won't have the requisite "oh poo poo" factor when the heavy basically kills them with one krak.

Which I know is technically in line with the lore, but still.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

I'm weird like that.

Ugh, get a load of this guy playing Chartist Captain RPG.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Werix posted:

Krak missiles, and by extent any high pen weapons. That sounds like a joke, but in a game where you're guardsmen, if you throw traitor marines at them, they won't have the requisite "oh poo poo" factor when the heavy basically kills them with one krak.

Which I know is technically in line with the lore, but still.

Yeah, it's kind of sad that you can start with a Plasma Cannon - I mean, half the charm of being in the Guard is experiencing lovely situations.

I'm happy my first guard experience was playing Dark Heresy :D

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

JcDent posted:

I'm weird like that.

Well of course you should be protective of the other PCs - who will you have do stuff for you otherwise?

All things aside - it's not a bad thing to be protective of the crew as a whole, because low ship population is most definitely bad news for you in any sort of encounter.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Out there the galaxy under the emperors shining radiance, a chaos storm long thought to be eternal subsides. From the now blocked regions comes the most horrifying group the Imperium has faced. The Occupation Injury Securium commitee.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

Yeah, it's kind of sad that you can start with a Plasma Cannon - I mean, half the charm of being in the Guard is experiencing lovely situations.

I'm happy my first guard experience was playing Dark Heresy :D

There are only two kinds of cannon a Guardsman team should be lugging around: lascannon and autocannon. Leave plasma to marines :(

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

JcDent posted:

Only War has a very sharp titration point where it goes from Enemy at the Gates to The Expendables, it starts after the first mission where everyone (hopefully buys dodge), and comes fully around 2500-3000 exp when they start firing krak rockets with the accurate tag. I suppose its not so much "broken" as possibly jarring compared to what the typical guard experience is expected to be. (Granted, even some of the source material supports superheroic veteran guard. Remember the Gaunts Ghosts who have names rarely die and some of them once shanked an inquisitor and got away with it.)

The counterpoint to this is even when/if they're all rolling in storm trooper carapace and/or are ogryns, guard are squishy to battlefield level weapons. DH acolytes rarely get shot at with 2 or 3d10+X weapons, OW pcs often do.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 30, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Guard Vets are mega badasses with like meltas and plasmas and poo poo, so it fits the source material well.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Suicide melta vet is as much a viable type in OW as it is on tabletop.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

There are only two kinds of cannon a Guardsman team should be lugging around: lascannon and autocannon. Leave plasma to marines :(

I had my men try to infiltrate an enemy held city to capture a colossal( and, it turned out, pretty temperamental) plasma cannon secreted away in a cathedral - this was back when their squad was requisitioned as repo men by the Departmento Munitorum.

They had to sneak through the sewers, then realized a xenos armour brigade with dreads and human slave soldiers was no fun, and had to hide day to day. Good fun, would do again.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I am now contemplating running a Rogue Trader game.

I'm calling it -
2 Rogue 2 Trader: Slinnar Drift

I think the overall theme is 'Wacky Races in 40k'. The idea/campaign will require more thought (although it should be fairly linear?) before it's ready, but I was wondering if the thread had some thoughts on what would make it gold.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Death Rally Death Race
Make it the 40K equivalent to Blood Bowl. All the factions set aside their differences to race in the Galactic Prix through the Webway, across worlds and space hulks, as violently as possible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Deathrace 40,000 run by the Deldar for shits and giggles? They're the premier webway abusers, they could make it happen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or run by the Orks. One old Ork special character was a Speed Freek biker warboss who wanted only to ride his bike from one end of the galaxy to the other.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Could do something similar to like the Kessel Run. There is some old smuggling route that isn't used anymore, but bored rich rogue traders run the route out of boredom.

Or an around the world in 80 days scenario where every like 10 years some rogue traders get together to do a race from one sector capital to another. First one there wins a big purse. You are allowed to sabotage other racers, directly attack them, etc. Taking shortcuts through warp storms, paying off planet officials to impound rivals, and the like.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could even have a loony Necron like Trazyn or Zahndrekh running it. An ancient Necrontyr contest of piloting skill, cunning, and engineering prowess and the winner gets a planet or other neat prize, and the Overlord running it is either senile and thinks everyone's a Necron, or knowingly opens it up to lesser races.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

here I found some character portraits for the competitors

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Shred is d-d-dominating the race!

Edit: drat it Blizzard, give us a new R&RR

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If you really want to go full 40K, you could make the racecourse so mindbogglingly huge it's a multigenerational affair, where Rogue Trading is something you do to support yourself during the race. Maybe the race is older than humanity, and the Eldar were the favorites to win before the Eye of Terror blasted them off track.
And what's the prize? "Is *RECORDS MISSING* really worth dedicating generations to winning?"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Pit crews squatting in abandoned space stations, where entire generations of people have spent their entire lives training day and night to be prepared for that sacred vessel foretold in ancient prophecy that once restored to glory, will take them to the Emperor's side

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Rockopolis posted:

If you really want to go full 40K, you could make the racecourse so mindbogglingly huge it's a multigenerational affair, where Rogue Trading is something you do to support yourself during the race. Maybe the race is older than humanity, and the Eldar were the favorites to win before the Eye of Terror blasted them off track.
And what's the prize? "Is *RECORDS MISSING* really worth dedicating generations to winning?"

"A one terra standard year gap separates the lead and the second place runners, the closest the gap has been in at least a millennia!"

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
God, it's like 17776 all over again.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eponymous posted:

God, it's like 17776 all over again.

Jon Bois is a national treasure.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Make it like the Amazing Race and throw in some challenges at each activity.
Rogue Karters. Final track is driving go-karts through the Webway.
Watch out for the Tyrant from Hive Fleet Koopa, he's flinging gaunt chitin at the other racers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ships are big and warp travel is unpredictable.

Make it a harlequin run ground race. You start on a planet, race to a webway gate, get refreshed and repaired there, get out of the gate on another planet and continue from there.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

JcDent posted:

Ships are big and warp travel is unpredictable.

If you arrive one week before you left, does that count as cheating?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chiwie posted:

If you arrive one week before you left, does that count as cheating?

Only if there are surviving witnesses!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just realized I've been imagining the Webway as Rainbow Road this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

I just realized I've been imagining the Webway as Rainbow Road this whole time.

It's the Checkered Prick Road.