Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Electromax posted:

Since everyone loved when they compared Captain America to a spy thriller...

Now the soundbyte is Avengers 3 = Thanos's Eleven. A Witch Called Wanda. Umm... The Thanos Crowne Affair.

only at marvel studios would 'spending camera time on the antagonist so the audience gives the slightest gently caress about them' be considered a big new element

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It'd be neat if marvel could write a movie like Clockwork Orange, where there isnt a clear cut villain and everyone is just flawed and a bit biased.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

got any sevens posted:

It'd be neat if marvel could write a movie like Clockwork Orange, where there isnt a clear cut villain and everyone is just flawed and a bit biased.

Civil War then?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poo poo you're right, I confused the Wolverine movies. In that case, uh.. Best... Um... Best Fight Scene Involving a Massively Obese Participant? Best Quality Difference Between the Movie and the Video Game?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Civil War then?

zemo's a pretty clear cut villain, just one with a sympathetic background

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thor Ragnarok is good but has some of the wind in its sails taken away a bit by Guardians of the Galaxy movies which have a similar feel, though Waititi directing means it has its own identity.

That said if you liked T:R then you really need to see Waititi's other movies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

Wasn't Antman the heist movie?

Infinity War will be the Ant Man of superhero movies.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There is a sea of people reviewing nerdy movies and Moviebob still manages to be the worst amongst them. A grating personality, a forced overly verbose speaking pattern and generally having nothing interesting to say. His videos are a waste of time.

Also he wrote an entire book about the importance of Super Mario Bros. 3

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Super Fan posted:

There is a sea of people reviewing nerdy movies and Moviebob still manages to be the worst amongst them. A grating personality, a forced overly verbose speaking pattern and generally having nothing interesting to say. His videos are a waste of time.

Bob Chipman posted:

But the climactic reveal of SMB3 is burned – no, seared – into my memory the way JFK’s assassination was for my parents’ generation… or the way 9/11 would be for mine a scant 12 years from then…

Is this guy for real

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Super Fan posted:

Wait he wrote that? I thought it was parody.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is this guy for real

What was the reveal in SMB3? I don't remember any mystery or plot twists. I do remember that awesome green shoe, though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Lobok posted:

What was the reveal in SMB3? I don't remember any mystery or plot twists. I do remember that awesome green shoe, though.

No idea. I pulled that quote from a website book review.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

maybe he's talking about watching the wizard

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mario using the Tanooki Suit shook me to my very core.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Batman v. Superman was a travesty! Now let me tell you how Super Mario Bros 3 changed my life!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Thinking about it, I think it's the reveal that all the world is a stage and Mario, Koopa, and everyone in the games are actually actors.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Some press got to see Justice League tonight, but they weren't allowed to post anything about it besides that they were seeing it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Uh, to be fair, SMB 3 is in the running for Greatest Mario Game of All Time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Where were you when the princess was in another castle?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

porfiria posted:

True story: when I was a kid, my friend recorded an audio tape of him playing SMB3. I listened to that cassette tape over and over again whenever I was grounded and had my Nintendo taken away.

Mario is a hell of a drug.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

maybe he's talking about watching the wizard

Prob, that was legit awesome. The dude's just autistic as hell

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Some press got to see Justice League tonight, but they weren't allowed to post anything about it besides that they were seeing it.

Is it known when the embargo will be lifted?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

He does shoot someone at a distance from atop a building in the cold open of the first episode, so it's not unreasonable for them to have pushed it back, especially with the Vegas incident so close to the original release. It's very much not like delaying John Wick because someone's dog got run over.

Luckily for Marvel the series is a little more Bourne-y so far than Death Wish, so that will probably help cut down on some thinkpieces.

is the show bad loving rear end though

like I'm into this because the Punisher stuff in Daredevil s2 was loving sick as hell, especially his intro (just completely loving obliterating that Irish Mob bar and riddling everything with bullets) and that insane goddamn prison fight from near the end of the season. will I still be into the finished product

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 2, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Defenders was great when it was just ragging on Iron Fist.

Episode 8 he just kinda stopped mattering and went into the background and it got a lot worse as a result. None of the cool moments were cool, none of the fights were good, and Electra was just a confusing character and I'm not sure how intentional that was.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

got any sevens posted:

Prob, that was legit awesome. The dude's just autistic as hell

Top five most defining moments in American history:

1. 9/11
2. Pearl Harbor
3. When the autistic kid in the Wizard got the flute in World 1-Fortress
4. JFK assassination
5. Nothing really worthy yet but maybe if Infinity War delivers on its heist movie premise??

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

hiddenriverninja posted:

True story: when I was a kid, my friend recorded an audio tape of him playing SMB3. I listened to that cassette tape over and over again whenever I was grounded and had my Nintendo taken away.

Mario is a hell of a drug.

My parents had an NES when i was born and I would "play" it with them when I was very very young

so it is almost certainly their fault that, over 25 years later, I still spend about $50~60 every couple of years when a new Mario game comes out, like clockwork. who needs a drug when you have Nintendo?

porfiria posted:

i mean, realistically Greatest Mario Game of All Time and Greatest Video Game of All Time are probably the same drat thing. (also i think the actual answer to that is Galaxy but there are like 5 different acceptable answers to that question)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

Top five most defining moments in American history:

1. 9/11
2. Pearl Harbor
3. When the autistic kid in the Wizard got the flute in World 1-Fortress
4. JFK assassination
5. Nothing really worthy yet but maybe if Infinity War delivers on its heist movie premise??

You'd think if you had a movie there then Star Wars would be a thing

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guy A. Person posted:

The tension is... unbearable!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Gonz posted:

Mario using the Tanooki Suit shook me to my very core.

How about when he gets the Hammer Bros suit? I was like drat Mario's evil now and wearing Koopa gear? I'm done. I am done. And then I found out who's just wearing it to throw hammers at bad guys and he's not actually evil. Such a rush. A genius bait and switch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rough Lobster posted:

How about when he gets the Hammer Bros suit? I was like drat Mario's evil now and wearing Koopa gear? I'm done. I am done. And then I found out who's just wearing it to throw hammers at bad guys and he's not actually evil. Such a rush. A genius bait and switch.

Even more shocking than the big reveal in The Crying Game, really. Just masterful videogame storytelling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now Mario's a body-snatching pervert who runs around in his underwear.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Thinking about it, I think it's the reveal that all the world is a stage and Mario, Koopa, and everyone in the games are actually actors.

Yeah I think most people that played this as kids missed this. I had no idea when I was in grade school that the back background at the end of every level was Mario walking off stage.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It seemed pretty straightforward to me, as soon as I saw the curtains opening at the title screen and the scenery casting shadows on the background it just clicked.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The big reveal in Oliver's Henry V, when the King walks off stage and it turns out he's just an actor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

is the show bad loving rear end though

like I'm into this because the Punisher stuff in Daredevil s2 was loving sick as hell, especially his intro (just completely loving obliterating that Irish Mob bar and riddling everything with bullets) and that insane goddamn prison fight from near the end of the season. will I still be into the finished product

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far, only 4 episodes in though. Because it's a 13 episode season I assume it'll drag at some point -- and a couple subplots/storylines are already pretty taxing -- but Jon Bernthal is easily the best lead they've had for a Marvel Netflix show.

The first episode made me really want a Jon Bernthal Max Payne movie.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I used to really enjoy MovieBob's reviews, as well as The Big Picture (a show where he explained nerd poo poo) back when he was on the Escapist. I don't know how much is that I've matured, how much is him going off the deep end, and how much is just that he needs to be constrained to a runtime. But yeah, I tried watching Really That Good and while the Avengers one was okay he lost me after that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

You'd think if you had a movie there then Star Wars would be a thing
hmmm you'd think that but you'd be wrong. That is the objective list according to MovieBob.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Milky Moor posted:

Here we go.
Karl Urban redeems himself in a scene that's a clear homage to the Doom cover art where he's standing on a pile of zombies blasting away with rifles. That's kind of cool but, hey, like I said, memes, son.

I like how you’re so dismissive when you don’t even know about scenes paying homage to actual comic book art.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Mordiceius posted:

I like how you’re so dismissive when you don’t even know about scenes paying homage to actual comic book art.

Entertainment news milked a lot out of the first trailer, I remember a bunch of sites mentioning the Gjallerbru thing. I guess they made the Doom connection because Karl Urban was Doomguy in the movie adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
re: MovieBob, I actually think he generally makes a couple of decent points in the few videos I've seen, but it's like digging through a sewer pipe for a sapphire. No thank you

• Locked thread