Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Sublight travel is also being changed somewhat, in the sense that you need to actually travel to the entry point to a particular hyperlane (the arrow inside a system) to enter it, rather than being able to enter any hyperlane from any point outside's a system's gravity well. This means that fleets will move in a more predictable fashion, and interdictions will frequently happen inside systems instead of nearly always being at the edge of them, in particular allowing for fleets to 'guard' important hyperlane entry/exit points. To compensate for the need to move across systems, sublight travel has been sped up, especially with more advanced forms of thrusters.

Yessssss. I'll miss warp, but this more than makes up for it, faster sublight speed is good poo poo. Also, chases happening mostly in systems rather than in FTL is better too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

:master:

With fleets having to travel within system to get somewhere in particular, we now have actual tactics as well as strategically meaningful defences.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Exactly what I wanted, a wonderful early Christmas from Wizzles

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh god get to the bunkers (I like all of this)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

New FTL stuff is very cool.

Truga posted:

I'm assuming this is like the spaceship alpha centauri project in civilization, but with expensive megastructure colony ship instead.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/918476755861688320
I really like the symbols to easily spot what's a science vessel and what's a constructor ship.

binge crotching posted:

All this talk about ai controlled fleets makes me want a dlc that turns Stellaris into Majesty. Let me put bounties on systems I want to be visited, planets I want invaded, and so on. Fleets would wander wherever they want, and then if I want them to hit a specific spot I would just set a large bounty there and the admirals would beeline for it.
I'm melting! :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

binge crotching posted:

All this talk about ai controlled fleets makes me want a dlc that turns Stellaris into Majesty. Let me put bounties on systems I want to be visited, planets I want invaded, and so on. Fleets would wander wherever they want, and then if I want them to hit a specific spot I would just set a large bounty there and the admirals would beeline for it.
In general, I would pay a lot quantity of money for a Space Majesty game.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Armor is hit points now, as we speculated some time ago.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

I really like the symbols to easily spot what's a science vessel and what's a constructor ship.

Same, especially in early game where you're constantly clicking on things with your science/construction ships, I always cancel queues because I clicked the icon on the system and selected both and then right clicking a system just sends them there because there's no other valid order for the selected fleet.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

canepazzo posted:

??? There still a hull points stat, though?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I meant extra hitpoints. Armor is damage reduction at the moment, i.e. a percentage. There's a third health bar on ships in the screenshots too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canepazzo posted:

I meant extra hitpoints. Armor is damage reduction at the moment, i.e. a percentage. There's a third health bar on ships in the screenshots too.
I wonder if armor points get burnt off first or if it's a 1:1 deal.

quick edit: Oh wait it's probably armor first with armor penetration percentage hitting the core ship.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Splicer posted:

I wonder if armor points get burnt off first or if it's a 1:1 deal.

quick edit: Oh wait it's probably armor first with armor penetration percentage hitting the core ship.

Yeah, also I'm guessing "ignores armor and shield" probably getting a rework.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh wow, those are quite the changes coming down the line. It really will be like a whole new game once the next update hits.

As a fan of warp I'm sad to see it go but it sounds like what is to come will be even better. Can't wait!

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 2, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Hold on a sec - are power plants also core and not an utility now?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
FTL changes sound great, really glad Wiz and the rest of the team are willing to make big changes like that.

canepazzo posted:

Reactors are also core components instead of utilities now, apparently. Seems like a good change, having them as utilities made upgrading ships really fiddly.

fe: Bah, beaten

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wait, why is Steam downloading an 800mb update for Stellaris?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Might be the OST update.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Another thing:

No upgrade button on the ship. New upgrade interface coming?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canepazzo posted:

Another thing:

Hmmm. More templates? And maybe the core components upgrade automatically with tech?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The galaxy generation will need to be fixed HARD to make this work. One result of 'I can't go anywhere, the spawn blocked me!' is one too many, and there have been several over the course of Stellaris.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Cant really be upset at hyperlanes only when the rest of the game changed around it, so I doubt anyone here is gonna be that upset. I'm sure the paradox forums will have some gems though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Reactors being core makes sense if you assume all designs will now include an element of armour, and the big trade-off being between weapons and shields. That being said, everything seems to be up in the air for this update, so anything could be true.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Can't wait for Technical Analysis' Sunset Invasion post.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh wow, those are quite the changes coming down the line. It really will be like a whole new game once the next update hits.

As a fan of warp I'm sad to see it go but it sounds like what is to come will be even better. Can't wait!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you'll be able to add it back in through mods.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks pretty hot, I like this update. Now I just hope it's out before Valentine's Day so I have something to do that night.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Hell yeah. I love everything in the dev diary. Looks like 1.9 is the rework Stellaris has needed.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Can't wait to find a pulsar in a chokepoint system. Gonna turn that thing into the Iserlohn Corridor :getin:

Max level starbase, as heavily armored and with as many plasma and point defense modules/defense platforms as possible. And an FTL snare.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 2, 2017

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The new sensor system sounds pretty great, peek at the systems through the hyperlanes instead of a circular sensor shadow. I wonder if that will also fix the bug since launch where if you got a peek of a system by a sensor shadow from nearby system, gain "High" intel on it, then move away, your intel goes into "Low", like no one bothered to take any notes on the habitable planets or the Crystal Entities that they could see from next system over.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One suggestion on this: since we're getting far more defensible entries and exits from sub systems, maybe some type of offensive EMP module or something so that ships entering a system have some sort of tool to bust defenses a little better. I'm a little worried things are going to get a little doom-forty in MP games with things like camping entry points from multiple sides, etc. People tend to take good ideas to their logical extremes and min/max the poo poo out of things in games like this.

I'm sure you guys are playtesting and will see that but just a concern while it can still be addressed.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 2, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bloody Pom posted:

Can't wait to find a pulsar in a chokepoint system. Gonna turn that thing into the Iserlohn Corridor :getin:

Max level starbase, as heavily armored and with as many plasma and point defense modules/defense platforms as possible. And an FTL snare.

a REAL Iserlohn fortress would stack regenerative hull tissue and spam lances. :colbert:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bloodly posted:

The galaxy generation will need to be fixed HARD to make this work. One result of 'I can't go anywhere, the spawn blocked me!' is one too many, and there have been several over the course of Stellaris.

Go to war, expand over the shattered remnants of your enemies. Also, with the way borders work it seems like if you get blocked in it'll take a long time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Another thing:

I'd that plus button in its place a new thing?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Bloody Pom posted:

I am from Iserlohn and never heard of that corridor lol. What is that??

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

turn off the TV posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you'll be able to add it back in through mods.

Eh, I wasn't that attached to it... I tend to avoid modding core elements of a game as well as it can just lead to messy balance issues and other bugs down the line. I'm sad to see warp go but it looks like it's been well compensated for with other changes. I'm not at all upset with the changes announced thus far but I am curious to see how this 'forced splitting fleets' mechanic is going to shape up. Guess we'll find out next week.

Looking back at the thread for dev followups it looks like Wiz has already ruined 13 people's lives so far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OddObserver posted:

I'd that plus button in its place a new thing?

That's the repair button, it's not obvious since the + isn't red when it's greyed out.

vvvv: Yeah it's probably the best space opera show out there.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 2, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

BabyFur Denny posted:

It's a big space station from an anime. Obligatory :gay: but the show is actually good as hell.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

It's a big space station from an anime. Obligatory :gay: but the show is actually good as hell.
poo poo they just stole our city name, how lame.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GunnerJ posted:

Can't wait for tomorrow when we briefly all get excited for some new poo poo before falling into infighting over dumb nonsense!

:negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BabyFur Denny posted:

poo poo they just stole our city name, how lame.

The empire is Space Germans. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

It's from Legend of Galactic Heroes - it's a major hyperlane chokepoint between two warring empires, heavily fortified and home of the most powerful space fortress in the show.

• Locked thread