Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Lone Wolf is gonna get all the diseases, holy poo poo :stare:

If you face north west is left, so :goleft:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kanthulhu posted:

Bigger tunnel heading south sounds better.
We shall see!

Shadow on the Sand posted:

Your reach a domed sewer-vault where the tunnel widens. A chute descends from the centre of the chamber, ending just a few feet above the oily surface of the water; a mass of food scraps and offal floats beneath the chute, and the stink of rotting meat is overpowering.

You are about to step into the vault when you detect that the tunnel floor drops away. You freeze just in time to prevent yourself from stepping straight into deep water. The tunnel continues beyond the vault, but over twenty feet of putrid sewage lies between you and the other side.

The echo of a distant splash reminds you that the Sharnazim are still following. If you possess a Rope, you can try to catch it upon a long metal bar that protrudes from the side of the chute to pull yourself out of the water and swing across to the opposite tunnel.
We do have a rope, so we could try to swing across. Or we could probably just swim. Or if neither of those options appeal to you, we could go back and take the western tunnel instead (bearing in mind that we may run into the guys who are chasing us). Which will it be?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We have a rope? We have but one choice.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Snorb posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Snorb posted:

Preferably with less gators but yeah rope it

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Snorb posted:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Swing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Tarzan impression

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Snorb posted:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
We have a rope and wish to use it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

After tying a large knot in one end of the rope, you gather the coils and hurl the knotted end towards your target. After three failures, your fourth attempt is successful; the knot jams in a V-shaped joint, and you are able to pull yourself out of the water and swing across the vault to jump safely into the opposite tunnel. However, you cross this obstacle at the cost of your rope; it still hangs from the metal bar, and there is no way you can rescue it.

The passage ahead winds and curves like a giant snake, and the foul air wafting towards you is hot and humid. Although you seem to have shaken off your pursuers, you have yet to escape from the Baga-darooz.

The temperature rises steadily until you are bathed in sweat. Ahead, you see a chamber filled with steam that rises from its bubbling floor. You are about to enter the chamber when you catch a glimpse of the danger awaiting you; the stone walkway ends abruptly, only a few yards into the chamber. Ten feet below, lying before you like the surface of a huge bubbling cauldron, is a tar-sorkh: a mud geyser.

These geysers are common in Vassagonia. Much of the desert empire is unstable, but although it is subject to constant earth tremors, it rarely results in great destruction. The Vassagonians call these tremors: ‘Tasa-Dophiem’, which means ‘The Wrestling Gods’.

This particular mud geyser has been put to practical use. It provides a constant source of heat for the dwellings built over the chamber. The steam from the tar-sorkh rises into a pair of huge, circular chimneys in the domed ceiling, which in turn feed heat to the buildings above. Your only way out of this chamber is by climbing one of these chimneys. Although there are no ladders, the rock-hewn chamber wall offers many footholds.
Do we climb up the left chimney or the right?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Right chimney. I think I see a big guy in a red suit climbing in the other one, thus no room.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Until we get screwed over for choosing this, I will continue to pick :goleft:.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:goleft:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Best be right.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Noo our rope. :(

Left.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:goleft:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

The Right chimney. I think I see a big guy in a red suit climbing in the other one, thus no room.
Oh no, the steam pipe is full of steam! (The other one is full of spiders though)

The climb would be easy if it were not for the scalding steam. It stings your face and hands, making the skin puffed and sore. Lose 1 ENDURANCE point.

Endurance: 31/32.

The sweltering heat is overwhelming. Three times you nearly slip and fall and are saved only by your quick wits and natural survival instincts from a gruesome end in the tar-sorkh. You manage to climb twenty feet of the chimney, but the price is high. Your fingers and knees are skinned and bleeding, and your legs ache with fatigue. Lose 2 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 29/32.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).

You reach a point where the chimney is no longer a vertical shaft, but curves into a horizontal tunnel leading south. Although the heat is oppressive, the steam has cleared. Every nerve and tissue in your body seems agonizingly sensitive, and you progress along the narrow shaft with difficulty.

All hope of signing a peace treaty with the new Zakhan has vanished; your only concern now is to escape from this hellish sewer and somehow get back to Sommerlund as quickly as possible.

You notice a square vent cover in the ceiling less than ten feet ahead. It is badly corroded, and you have to lie on your back and kick with both feet to force it open. The effort drains your last reserves of stamina, but you are rewarded with success.

By pure chance you have gained access to the one place in Barrakeesh you most needed to visit—the public baths.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

You enter a large vestibule constructed from blocks of pink and white marble. A man in a white robe sits near a door in the far wall; he is reading a scroll held close to his face. He has not seen you enter the baths, but he is quick to sense your presence.

‘By the Majhan!’ he cries. ‘You smell worse than a Baknar!’ He hurls a towel at you and points to the door. ‘Take my advice,’ he whines, his fingers pinching shut his nostrils. ‘Don’t get undressed—your clothes need the bath as much as you.’

You grit your teeth in anticipation of the moment when he sees that you are not Vassagonian, but he simply returns to his scroll, holding the parchment close to his short-sighted eyes. You smile as you realize that the man cannot see you clearly enough to know you are a foreigner.

Beyond the door there is a long hall, leading at regular intervals into smaller open chambers, each with a sunken bath. Perfumed water constantly splashes into the baths and drains away directly into the Baga-darooz. You decide to take the bath attendant’s advice and jump straight into the cool water, keeping all your clothes on. You notice a large earthenware jar stands beside the bath, full to the brim with translucent purple oil.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).

Your Healing skill allows you to recognise that the oil is made from the fruit of the larnuma tree. It has a soothing and relaxing effect when rubbed into the skin.
Shall we use the oil or just get clean and get out of here?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Oil ourselves up! I can’t believe I forgot about this when I declared dirtiness was the way of the Kai.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

Make like Hakan and Oil up.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Always oil up!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Why would you not use the oil? Also make sure to grab any complimentary soaps or shampoos!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Oil up. This can't possibility be some trap and turns out Lone wolf is allergic or some such.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oil up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You feel your muscles start to relax. The oil soothes the cuts and bruises which cover your body and restores 2 ENDURANCE points.

Having washed off the worst of the dirt, you clamber out of the bath and enter a small antechamber; the room is hot and arid and your clothes are soon as dry as bone. Beyond the antechamber is another hall, this time crowded with people, some seated, others standing, and everyone busy in conversation. These are the free baths of Barrakeesh and the citizens of the capital are justly proud of them. They are the envy of the other desert cities where water is scarce and precious. The citizens treat the baths as a forum, a place for meeting and talking with friends. Much of the conversation you overhear is about the new Zakhan; few speak well of him.

You wrap yourself in the large Towel and make your way through the crowd towards the main entrance. If you wish to keep the Towel once you are outside, you must mark it on your Action Chart as 2 Backpack Items, due to its size.

Hurrying down the steps and away from the Bath Hall, you enter the ‘Saadi-tas-Ouda’: the Square of the Dead. Jet-black flagstones cover the square, each with a long iron spike set deep into its centre. From the Bath Hall steps, the square resembles the back of a massive iron porcupine, but when you reach the base of the steps, you realize that the Saadi-tas-Ouda is in fact far more sinister.

Stuck on top of each spike is a human skull—all that remains of pirates, murderers, traitors, and thieves who have been sentenced to death. The grisly display serves as a warning to others never to defy the law of the Zakhan.

As you reach the far side of the square, you brush against a spike. Fresh blood is smeared across the arm of your tunic, staining it dark red. You raise your eyes, cursing at your misfortune, but you are shocked into silence by the sight before you.

Impaled upon the sharp iron pole is the head of the Vassagonian envoy. To either side are the heads of all the galley crew. On each of their foreheads is freshly branded one word—TRAITOR. Fear wells up inside you; turning your face away from the sightless eyes, you run into the crowded streets of the Mikarum, the district where the spice and herb merchants live.

At the end of a narrow, winding street, you reach a junction. Opposite is a shop with a bright red sign above the door:

Bir Dar Masoun—HERB-MISTRESS
Two questions:
  1. Do we keep the towel or leave it? (We have enough backpack space since we lost our rope)
  2. Do we want to take a look in this shop since we're not currently being chased, or just keep moving?

Cuts and bruises? Not when you've got Healing! I'm very disappointed in us getting blood on our tunic already after we only just cleaned ourself up though.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No Towel, Check out herb shop

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Leave the towel, since we need backpack space for the herbs :airquote: we're about to buy.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Take the towel. You never know when you might need it. Investigate the shop.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Keep the towel and let's check out the herb mistress.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Always be looting, towels included. And just go, herbs sound like a good way to get poisoned.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No way are we leaving behind that towel. It's about the most massively useful thing a Kai Lord can have in their backpack.

Also, let's visit the herbalist.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kangra posted:

No way are we leaving behind that towel. It's about the most massively useful thing a Kai Lord can have in their backpack.

Also, let's visit the herbalist.

Not empty quoting. Also, does that mean we missed catching limbdeath disease and needing to recover Oede?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ulmont posted:

Also, does that mean we missed catching limbdeath disease and needing to recover Oede?
It does. I'll go over the various ways we avoided particular consequences once we reach Part Two, but for now I'll just say (for those who don't mind a very minor spoiler that probably doesn't mean anything to you if you haven't read the book before) that we didn't actually finally determine which path we'd be on for the rest of Part One until the last possible moment, which was when we chose to swing on our rope rather than swim. Up till then it could have gone either way.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Go in the Shop, end leave the towel behind.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Aye to both towel and shop.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

and let's check out the herb mistress.
And also her potions while we're there?

You part the bead curtain that hangs across the doorway and enter the cool interior. The light is poor and the room gloomy, for the windows are obscured by sheaves of herbs and plants. You are studying a curious row of coloured bottles when a woman appears. She has piercing green eyes and her red hair is raised, bound with rings of jadin. Softly, she speaks to you.

‘Welcome, Northlander. I sense you are a warrior—or am I mistaken?’ As you hesitate to answer, she shrugs her shoulders and searches through a pile of parchments stacked on top of a wine casket. She blows away the dust before handing you a yellowed sheet. It is a list of merchandise, written in Sommlending:
  • Potion of Alether (increases COMBAT SKILL by 2 for the duration of 1 combat)—4 Gold Crowns
  • Potion of Gallowbrush (induces sleep for 1–2 hours per dose)—2 Gold Crowns
  • Potion of Laumspur (restores 4 ENDURANCE points per dose)—5 Gold Crowns
  • Vial of Larnuma Oil (restores 2 ENDURANCE points per dose)—3 Gold Crowns
  • Tincture of Graveweed (causes sickness and loss of 2 ENDURANCE points per dose)—1 Gold Crown
  • Tincture of Calacena (causes terrifying hallucinations for 1–2 hours per dose)—2 Gold Crowns
You may purchase any of the above and in any quantity you desire; all potions, vials, and tinctures are Backpack Items. You then leave the shop and continue along the street.

All manner of strange and exotic plants, oils, potions, and medicaments fill the shop windows, and the smell of the herb-filled street is intoxicating. There is a sudden bustle of activity at the end of the street. The crowd disperses, melting into the shops as if into thin air. A man stands before you, his face is streaked with sweat, his turquoise robes torn and heavily stained. It is Maouk—he has survived the Baga-darooz.

‘Were it not for the Zakhan, I would kill you here and now,’ hisses Maouk, his face a mask of hate. ‘But I will not lose my head for a cowardly Sommlending.’

His insult enrages you, but you control your anger. You sense he is not alone; eyes are watching you at every window.
OK, first up, what are we going to buy? We currently have 42 Gold Crowns (so we can afford as much as we can carry) and two spaces in our backpack, but we can throw things out to make more space if we want. We currently have a Flask of Holy Water, a Meal of Laumspur (+3 EP), another Meal, two Potions of Laumspur (+4 EP) and another a Potion of Laumspur (+5 EP). Make a list of anything you want to buy and anything you want to throw away.

After that, do we want to fight Maouk or run away?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Buy Alether and Graveweed, then RUN!!!!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

We don't need more healing stuff, but extra combat skill is a bit more rare to come by. Let's buy the Alether and Gallowbrush and Graveweed, throwing out the normal Meal to make room.

Then let's run for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oh, and in case anyone missed it, we can buy any potion in any quantity. If we want to fill our backpack full of Alether we can do that.