Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Dude, I heard that too. Wtf

Did anyone else hear this?

She definitely did say Deneeth, it was the only thing I was sure I understood in the whole episode.

Here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnlfVt45jf0&t=300s

Tortuga fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

TTerrible posted:

I've just gone back and rewatched the scene where the cars first pull up and open fire and whoever mentioned the guys just laying down for a nap was spot on. Hoooly poo poo.

Can we get a gif of this? I don't recall that and it sounds amazing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Acacia REI posted:

Saw this comment on Reddit and it does make some sense:

"If I'm not mistaken, Rick talks about the broken glass theory that people generally feel safe when the glass around them is in one piece. This has me thinking about the last episode and the seemingly pointless act of wasting loads and loads of bullets to shatter the glass at Negan's compound. I think that Rick is trying to instill fear into the saviors, showing them that their world is able to be shattered at any moment by a madman. Overall I would imagine that the strategy is to persuade as many of the sanctuary dwellers to turn on Negan so that he is not nearly as powerful. "

Still sounds like a huge waste of ammo but whatever.

There's a Broken Windows Theory joke to be made here.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/imhE4dF.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Napping Dead S8: I Hope You Brought Your Pajama Pants

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That Jesus scene was so loving bad. These assholes are all out to get you and rise up. loving slaughter them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Whoa whoa whoa

The napping guys are cool and all

But did that guy to the left of them do a knife stab at the air? And then run away?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I love how they treat a bit character from a single episode in the first season of the show like the return of a main character on the show. "We ain't takin' care of grannies no more, Rick."

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 1, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

That Jesus scene was so loving bad. These assholes are all out to get you and rise up. loving slaughter them.

Every episode of this show could just be two people standing alone in a room yelling back and forth at each other "We have to kill them" and "No we don't" over and over. Occasionally they trade places. That's literally all this show ever is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

moist turtleneck posted:

Whoa whoa whoa

The napping guys are cool and all

But did that guy to the left of them do a knife stab at the air? And then run away?

Bahaha yes yes he did.

Was there... any choreography to that scene? What on earth would make him do that??

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My favourite are the two dudes hiding behind the table, with no cover at all, except the table legs

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I think the knife guy was "sparring"

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's like they only shot one take of every scene and never watched any of it back until it aired. It's a shame because there was easily enough story and stuff happening to make that into an entertaining and tense episode.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Le Saboteur posted:

I love how they treat a bit character from a single episode in the first season of the show like the return of a main character on the show. "We ain't takin' care of grannies no more, Rick."

I can't wait for Rick to be ready to finish Negan off when a confused Abuela wanders into the thick of it.

E: to be fair, dude was in like... maybe four or five episodes? But the most I remember is Merle (RIP) calling him a 'taco-bender'

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tortuga posted:

It's like they only shot one take of every scene and never watched any of it back until it aired. It's a shame because there was easily enough story and stuff happening to make that into an entertaining and tense episode.

99% of the time the main cast are miserable, oscillating between grim determination to sad to angry and back. The action scenes would be a bit more impactful if it didn't feel like they should all be on suicide watch. I sure hope these sad tormented souls get rid of Negan so they can be sad and tormented without the threat of Negan.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I will freely cop to having enjoyed the show for years, compelling characters, lots of eye candy (IF I had to choose between Rick and Daryl I'd pick Daryl but wonder if I'd made a mistake.)
I've rewatched all of it and still enjoyed it (especially that first season. ) Started to get concerned last season----
But oh god season 8 is starting out so goddamn badly....

Just awful, NO redeeming qualities whatsoever. It took me until now to give up on it ever getting better and I'm bummed. Will try FTWD based on this thread, watched season 1, eh, but will watch 2 to get to 3.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

big cummers ONLY posted:

I think the knife guy was "sparring"

Yeah, he was sparring the dudes who had a Sleep spell cast on them. This show is dumb as poo poo but I love this thread.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

warcrimes posted:

Yeah, he was sparring the dudes who had a Sleep spell cast on them. This show is dumb as poo poo but I love this thread.

Yeah this is quickly turning into a Dexter/Sons of Anarchy/True Blood situation...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CODChimera posted:

Yeah this is quickly turning into a Dexter/Sons of Anarchy/True Blood situation...

if Rick rides into a hurricane then becomes a lumberjack or whatever I can't say I'd be displeased

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Walking Dead is trash but it is still nowhere near the trash Dexter’s last 2 seasons were.

It’s not even close.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

CODChimera posted:

I'd no-joke love to read a book or study or even just a long-form well-researched article about why and how otherwise decent shows such as those in your example "go bad" and to what extent anyone involved with the production is aware of it.

Like, are they genuinely as delusional as they appear to be in those making-of documentaries we get, you know the ones where all the actors and producers gush about how lucky they are to be involved with something so amazing, and about how being on set is like being part of some wonderful family? Or is ALL of that just another act, no different to playing their roles in the main show, and behind the scenes they're all like "this is a shitshow lol"?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Walking Dead is trash but it is still nowhere near the trash Dexter’s last 2 seasons were.

It’s not even close.

Yeah The Walking Dead doesn't make me laugh as much but I have faith they'll get there.

Cactus posted:

I'd no-joke love to read a book or study or even just a long-form well-researched article about why and how otherwise decent shows such as those in your example "go bad" and to what extent anyone involved with the production is aware of it.

Like, are they genuinely as delusional as they appear to be in those making-of documentaries we get, you know the ones where all the actors and producers gush about how lucky they are to be involved with something so amazing, and about how being on set is like being part of some wonderful family? Or is ALL of that just another act, no different to playing their roles in the main show, and behind the scenes they're all like "this is a shitshow lol"?

Something like that would be great for Sons of Anarchy. I'm pretty sure most of the people still watching to the end were mostly doing because of the thread. It was hilarious though.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 2, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I never read the thread or finished the series but by the third season of SOA I was so confused as to how they weren't caught ten times over

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Spinster posted:

Will try FTWD based on this thread, watched season 1, eh, but will watch 2 to get to 3.

Just read a summary of S2 and skip to 3. S2 was fun as a drunken binge-watch for me personally but it's not good lol, I didn't even admit I watched FTWD during the first couple seasons. Season 3 was one of my favorite seasons of either show though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cactus posted:

I can't really think of a show that doesn't get worse over the later seasons.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Just read a summary of S2 and skip to 3. S2 was fun as a drunken binge-watch for me personally but it's not good lol, I didn't even admit I watched FTWD during the first couple seasons. Season 3 was one of my favorite seasons of either show though.

There's a point in 2 where every single character abruptly goes insane for no reason that was so poo poo, and there was a lot of trash in the last half of the season. The first half wasn't bad.

Season 3 though, it really was the WD people wanted. Sure glad they fired the show runner for that. The first episode was a little rough since it was bridging the last mess left behind but it's solid as hell past that. It really found it's identity being about the people who are quickly sliding to the villain scale, and it made a lot of the other lovely things they did throughout the series fit so much better.

ED: Hell, it's pre-episode flashbacks and stuff actually were done with, well, quality and style there which just makes "MONTAGE.. OF.. EYES.." even more embarrassing.

Panzeh posted:

Breaking Bad ended on it's best season.

And I know it'll probably be super unpopular to say as always, but Agents of Shield is a show that literally seems to be on a reverse curve, where every season is an improvement on the last and it started out really, really bad. It's kind of fascinating, never seen that trajectory before.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 3, 2017

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Panzeh posted:

As some have pointed out there are examples. And yeah, all long-running shows have dips in quality here and there, but some just seem to suffer from it so much more pointedly than others - the walking dead being a particularly frustrating example. And when you take these shows and look at them for reasons why, all I'm saying is that it would be interesting to see if there are any commonalities between them, or did each one have a seperate completely individual reason for its abnormally steep plummet in quality?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think the leftovers got better with every season and ended on it's best.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

And I know it'll probably be super unpopular to say as always, but Agents of Shield is a show that literally seems to be on a reverse curve, where every season is an improvement on the last and it started out really, really bad. It's kind of fascinating, never seen that trajectory before.

Spartacus was kind of like that but it's bad period was only the start of season one and then it just got better and better.

+1 to The Leftovers and Breaking Bad. Shows that ramp up the tension and stakes tend to have amazing final seasons ie Breaking Bad, The Shield, Black Sails etc.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My only gripe with the Breaking Bad conclusion was that I felt like they half-assed the villains.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

My god... the more you look the worse it get... :psyduck:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I stab in your general direction!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:psyduck:

lemme just hide from a hail of bullets behind this upright table here

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It has to be that every single person in that scene was a contest winner

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
honestly the guy hiding behind the table like whatever he got pinned down and panicked or something maybe 5% less chance of dying, the guys gently lying down to take a nap and knife guy are real bad though

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I feel like this is taking attention away from the fact that Rick got ambushed in an empty hallway. Apparently it's not just zombies that can teleport now!

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Frank Reynolds eating pocket sausage in the background would be less embarrassing than what this show actually went with.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Panzeh posted:

Mad Men and Breaking Bad, both AMC shows, are the only two I can think of. Sopranos also ended on a high note, there wasn't a dip in quality. Though the ending left something to be desired depending on who you ask.

Edit: someone else mentioned The Leftovers, I totally agree. If anything, it should have gone on a longer. Somehow, I felt both dread and hopeful watching that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
okay they totally forgot an actor in that scene where the dude stabs the air

https://i.imgur.com/uBYTuAZ.gifv