Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Pentaro posted:

Coco was very, very good.

Some stray thoughts:

-When the trailers started dropping, I found the design of the skeleton characters extremely unappealing (maybe it was their mouths?), but I ended getting used to them.
-Any film that dumps on Frida Kahlo is okay in my book.
-I no-poo poo thought the dog became an alebrije because he died after eating the mole (which we all know is made with chocolate, a big no-no for dogs)
-If you've ever had to deal with someone close to you suffering from Alzheimer's disease, this movie is going to loving wreck you. :(

I have a grandma with Alzheimer, and that's the main reason I started to cry. At one moment I was clearly trembling of how hard I was trying not to bawl right there among strangers.

And that's what made the dog turn in to an alebrije? HAHA no way lol

Also Frida's scenes is what had everyone laughing.

Anyone who isn't mexican, should at leats give it a try to Pedro Infante or Jorge Negrete's movies (or any mexican movie from the era), so you can be as amused as I was with Ernesto de la Cruz.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

And that's what made the dog turn in to an alebrije? HAHA no way lol

Haha, no, my stupid theory got destroyed at the end when they showed him playing with the cat in the real world, but it made sense, man! :2bong:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pentaro posted:

-Any film that dumps on Frida Kahlo is okay in my book.

I have a weird feeling the Latinx community in the USA is going to hate the gently caress out of this movie based on this alone.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Pentaro posted:

Haha, no, my stupid theory got destroyed at the end when they showed him playing with the cat in the real world, but it made sense, man! :2bong:

Any abuelita's mole is magical. Btw, the dog and the guitar are those two things that it bothered me it was never explained. Why was the guitar magical? WHYYYY?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I have a weird feeling the Latinx community in the USA is going to hate the gently caress out of this movie based on this alone.

:lol: Just wait until you see it, it was loving amazing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
what did frida kahlo do?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Raserys posted:

what did frida kahlo do?

There's some funny scenes where she is the one in charge of opening a musical show. Her idea is arsty as gently caress and hilarious. There's a papaya and a cactus with her face. A monkey and fire. It was the whole "look at this random poo poo and how deep it is for reasons"-feeling that made everyone burst in laughter

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I know - Anime, the Mazinger movie is looking really slick. Lot of the CG in Mecha go in two extremes of heavy, clunky, mechanical, or human-like movement but floaty as hell without any feeling of oomph or weight. Somehow they managed to give the titular mecha a sense of weight and impact with it's movement and attacks.

https://twitter.com/Viruul/status/924875613902479360

the sense of weight really is an issue a lot of CG have issues with.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: Just wait until you see it, it was loving amazing.

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying they seem to have noticed a minefield and decided to happily skip along through it. :ohdear:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Robindaybird posted:

I know - Anime, the Mazinger movie is looking really slick. Lot of the CG in Mecha go in two extremes of heavy, clunky, mechanical, or human-like movement but floaty as hell without any feeling of oomph or weight. Somehow they managed to give the titular mecha a sense of weight and impact with it's movement and attacks.

https://twitter.com/Viruul/status/924875613902479360

the sense of weight really is an issue a lot of CG have issues with.

It's funny how the solution is basically just animating fewer frames, letting them use the same techniques animators have been using since forever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Saw Loving Vincent. It was pretty good.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying they seem to have noticed a minefield and decided to happily skip along through it. :ohdear:

Honestly, everyone in my country seems to be extremely tired of Frida and the Frida fans, so the jokes were welcomed. So far I haven't seen any of my friends complaining..

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's funny how the solution is basically just animating fewer frames, letting them use the same techniques animators have been using since forever.

Well, 3D animation can do blending to make animation super smooth with minimal effort, so giving up one of it's inherent advantages to create more intentionally clunky animation is not a solution most people would easily arrive at. But drat can it work well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/925853092255551488

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this cast is absurd in how much talent they got. and also the tacit admission that no one can do "father figure/voice of god" better than James Earl Jones, so they're just gonna cast him again.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I will watch the Lion King in any and all formats and incarnations so yes loving please give me more of this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eric Andre and Keegan Michael-Key opposite each other is the collabo I never knew I wanted.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I bought a beaver and I know I need to stop, but ugh it was such a good deal. It's an addiction.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ejiofor as Scar is great but I really wish they had just gotten Irons again like they did with Mufasa.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally Seth Rogen in the role he was born to play.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woah thanks exactly no one for pointing out this was the wrong god damned thread

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Pick posted:

Woah thanks exactly no one for pointing out this was the wrong god damned thread

I honestly wasn't sure.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I was kinda thinking. "Beaver? Was there an animated movie with a beaver that I missed somewhere?"

I haven't sen an animated beaver since... well heck, when did I? The only one I can think of is Mr. Beaver and his wife from Lion, Witch and Wardrobe, but that wan't animated...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Oooh, I think there's plenty of animated beavers out there

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Angry Beavers anyone?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought it was a stand-up reference I wasn't cool enough to get.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Clearly you haven't seen the Elm-Chanted Forest.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
After Beauty and the Beast I was concerned The Lion King was going to suffer from the same problem of having nothing new to say with the story. The cast list basically confirms for me that while they’re trying to make it the best drat version they can, it’s still going to be a one-to-one translation of the original. I hope I’m proven wrong though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All I want is for them to pull in some of the Broadway songs along the way.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

GonSmithe posted:

Ejiofor as Scar is great but I really wish they had just gotten Irons again like they did with Mufasa.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Irons is the iconic voice from that movie, not JEJ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

All I want is for them to pull in some of the Broadway songs along the way.

Thats nearly guaranteed.

That same fact is why new Aladdin will be trash and the broadway production is so insulting I have rambled at people for over 20 minutes about everything wrong with it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

GonSmithe posted:

And Matthew Broderick as Simba. Just a bunch of 50- and 60-something white dudes to really put butts in seats.

Billy Eichner as Timon is rather inspired though.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 2, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

starkebn posted:

Oooh, I think there's plenty of animated beavers out there

SSSSSSSSSSSaaaaay! It works SSSSSSSSSSWEEELLLL!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Any idea if Beyonce can VA? I always get a little antsy when non-theatre singers do voicework since straight-up singers focus on voice and theatre singers need to sell emotion over voice. Nobody likes the drat pop covers that play over the credits.

But Mandy Moore did great as Rapunzel, so ???

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do not like any of the Broadway versions. I mean, there are some things were the musical format is OK, like stupid bull crap where it doesn’t matter if it’s just a bunch of 80s people with big hair pretending to lick each other and then thinking that is what cats do, but there are just authoritatively better versions of these that are films.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Das Boo posted:

Any idea if Beyonce can VA? I always get a little antsy when non-theatre singers do voicework since straight-up singers focus on voice and theatre singers need to sell emotion over voice. Nobody likes the drat pop covers that play over the credits.

But Mandy Moore did great as Rapunzel, so ???

Mandy Moore was already acting a lot before that, though. There's definitely a risk of this sounding like when a musician guest stars on The Simpsons, but I suppose Disney knows what they're doing and did a real audition process.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sir Lemming posted:

Mandy Moore was already acting a lot before that, though. There's definitely a risk of this sounding like when a musician guest stars on The Simpsons, but I suppose Disney knows what they're doing and did a real audition process.

yeah, I remember despite being a completely minor character who only has a few voiced lines, people were pissed that Aeri* was recast in KH2 - since even with the small sample to draw from, Mandy Moore did a lot better than her replacement.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

Thats nearly guaranteed.

That same fact is why new Aladdin will be trash and the broadway production is so insulting I have rambled at people for over 20 minutes about everything wrong with it.
I mean, I liked how they got "Why Me?" into the soundtrack, after having a completed master go completely unused in the final film.

Also early versions repurposed "Call Me A Princess" as an act that Jasmine put on to turn away suitors, which I thought was clever (since the song, as I originally heard it from a Alan Menken/Howard Ashman demo tape, was quite good, but incredibly out-of-character for Jasmine as depicted in the film), but for some reason that wasn't in the final Broadway version, which I thought was disappointing.

But I don't know much more about the Broadway show than that, so do tell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres so goddamn much i dont like so have a shallow one and then three big ones knowing I could complain more.

Shallow:

Abu is gone, replaced with three human friends for aladdin which sort of undermines his entire “Im a lonely orphan” thing.

Bigger:

These three friends exist to tell jokes and sing musical numbers about nothing. In a musical with about 12 songs, this is a problem when 1/6th of the songs are padding for characters who might as well not exist outside their songs. Both of their songs destroy any and all narrative pacing, with the highlight being they take up nearly 10+ minutes singing about how theyre going to reacue aladdin only to fail and then never show up again in the musical.

Aladdin is a destined chosen one of purest heart instead of just some schmuck. He still screws up as he does in regular versions of the story so the plot just forgets the whole pure hear completely so its a one two punch of undermining the crux of the story as well as the version they created.

At the end, the genie still offers to grant aladdin a final third wish so he can be with jasmine. Except in this version it is removing everyones memories but aladdins of all the events that transpired so that aladdin can decieve them forever. What the gently caress!

Edit: Jaffar is a moron in this version and doesnt see through the Prince Ali ruse. Jasmine agrees to marry Aladdin after a single day and even says that outloud thats crazy despite the play having an applause line for her independent nature. Its implied Genie really does create life not just a ficticious kingdom. Iago and Jaffars first lines of dialog are meta jokes about Iago no longer being a parrot. The play ends with a literal plea to not get upset about the changes to the stort they made. gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 2, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

Abu is gone, replaced with three human friends for aladdin which sort of undermines his entire “Im a lonely orphan” thing.
They wouldn't happen to be Babkak, Omar and Kassim, would they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

They wouldn't happen to be Babkak, Omar and Kassim, would they?

Yep, they get an entire song which is just repeating their names and character quirks so you dont forget them because they dont appear again until act 2.