Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Mayyybe an EF-2 (but I'd expect his car to have been picked up and moved some).

Does the car not get scooted sideways off the road?

I was like Wow this dumbass really should have left his car in the garage where it would be safooooohhhhh nooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Dumped a handful of little 15-second or so clips off my Mini0805 today.

The cream of the crop this time, in which we discover why a signalized one-way is signalized:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYybuwE7Syk (with a kastein-style "you loving idiot")

I swear we were laughing for miles after that one.

Here's the rest of them:

The "right from the left lane" collection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lLr_TiYxOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6QwlHVXPsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJZ1xWMYhJ4

The "stopping from nowhere" collection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7OVQd5gymA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdZwfu1cu1c

The "blown red light" collection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Z0Y4Mc_Kc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbDT4C8PN7c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zh00otZy6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Y6ZYWemZk

And all purpose retardation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2g3UFtZwg (has anyone ever seen a Nissan Versa that they *didn't* want to vaporize? this probably takes second place for this month's dump)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetJygbMgPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixiJxZgb8NI

Don't you just love California? :ca:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Linux Fairy posted:

Dumped a handful of little 15-second or so clips off my Mini0805 today.
And all purpose retardation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2g3UFtZwg (has anyone ever seen a Nissan Versa that they *didn't* want to vaporize? this probably takes second place for this month's dump)

Pescadero Rd/84 near La Honda?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I was just there for Labor Day. That bridge over Don Pedro Reservoir is a nightmare!

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

CarForumPoster posted:

Pescadero Rd/84 near La Honda?

Descending hwy9 toward Big Basin. Not a bad guess, though. Descending 84 on a bike, usually the cars can't catch you because you can outcorner them :v:

(I did have an A4 make a suicide pass on me on my bike once on a straight on the way down. Without changing my pace from before, I don't think I was more than a car's length away from his back bumper the rest of the way down until I turned off at Woodside.)

The Linux Fairy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 8, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvww4v6tb2s&t=60s

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQeF_rWMjo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Should have honed his reflexes to leap up off the bike, sailing harmlessly over the offending vehicle.

In other news, I'm reeeallly glad I wasn't tailgateing this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpbfYgnld7A

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I saw someone last week who did that - broke down on the highway by a concrete barrier and left their car half in the outside traffic lane. Apparently so the passenger could sit there with their door open :shrug:

Thing is, they were on a hill and could have easily rolled ahead to a safer place.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Okay guys.. I've been limping my third G1W along for way too long. It's finally fully crapping out. It turns on and records, but keeps switching to continuous recording with no audio now, and keeps losing the time/date; I have to manually format the memory card every day (otherwise I eventually get a "SD CARD FULL" error), and since the battery is trash, the end of the video gets corrupted. I did try a factory reset on it today, and that seems to have made it at least remember "oh hey, use 3 minute chunks and record audio", but the thing is on its death bed either way.

What's a current reasonably priced cam? I don't have a need for rear recording, GPS, or speed (in fact I would REALLY prefer the camera not have GPS or speed logging abilities), and it'd be nice if it can use the mount I have for my G1W (which is attached to my mirror). Hard cap of $100, cheaper would be better (so that rules out the nice stuff like Blackvue). Only real requirements are that it have a display, time/date stamp, and be able to record audio. I'm kinda leaning toward one of the A119S knockoffs (won't be able to use my existing mount, but that's at the bottom of my list anyway) - it looks like you can get them with or without internal GPS? Something that can support a 64GB card would be nice too, since I'm in the car ~8 hours a day, but I can settle for something that maxes out at 32GB.

Takes No Damage posted:

Should have honed his reflexes to leap up off the bike, sailing harmlessly over the offending vehicle.

In other news, I'm reeeallly glad I wasn't tailgateing this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpbfYgnld7A

30 east to 35E north?

That interchange gets worse with every revision. :argh: Hell everything related to the interchanges at 30/35E/45/75 are a gigantic clusterfuck. I take 30 west to 35E north to Inwood every day :shepface: and 35E back down to 30 east to get home. :shepicide: The State Fair has made that an especially fun trip lately.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 23, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To 75 north actually, but I feel your pain. It was especially fun the first few times I tried to drive it after they changed the traffic flow, so that the old route that I'd been driving for 20 years suddenly put a concrete wall between my lane and the exit for Woodall Rodgers. NOW I have to be in that far right lane, go up over the overpass, fly through a brand new suicide merge, THEN I can finally get up onto the freeway. Dallas :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, I think that's more TxDOT :argh:

I use Google Maps to get everywhere now. Even a familiar drive, unless it's literally down the street. At least it usually gives me a heads up about traffic.

But it gets loving idiotic when you're doing 30 West to 35E North. "Keep right at the fork keep left at the fork keep left at the fork keep right at the fork" JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP AND TELL ME WHAT LANE TO BE IN JESUS CHRIST. It's equally stupid when going from 35E South to 75/45/Singleton. I have to look at the text directions long before I get to that clusterfuck of an exit, because I know if I'm having to take Singleton, it won't tell me until I'm already past the point of no return.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'm not fond of Maps announcements about slowdowns "past exit seven hundred and sixty seven A". I know intellectually that exit numbers are very handy but I don't tell people exit numbers and I don't know them, so the info is just "There's a slowdown between here and your house" and I'm aware of that, it is Houston.

Also, I scooped a newer Mobius just to prepare as mine's 2.5 years old at this point and they have a new lens, called lens 'D', with a slightly narrower FOV than the earlier wide-angle lenses. I will try to post some comparable side-by-sides, I have lots of old footage but it's so dry to look at. I've been really happy with mine though I understand some people like having a display, if you need small, no-frills and no GPS it's not bad at $80

I had tried to get a Mobius 2 but the order was cancelled on me at Amazon. Not sure if it's really the same manufacturer as the Mobius 2 has a 180º opposite mini-USB plug in roughly the same form factor, so I'm a bit relieved I don't need to re-run the power cord.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I like when google tells me about slow traffic when I've been in stop and go for the last 5 minutes already.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Another video whacked together from my Dod-Tech LS470W+ ... dash cam footage of me in my mustang running some serious back roads in the eastern Highland Rim in central Tennessee. And it has (royalty free) music!

https://youtu.be/vyqKtH47rqY

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oddhair posted:

I'm not fond of Maps announcements about slowdowns "past exit seven hundred and sixty seven A". I know intellectually that exit numbers are very handy but I don't tell people exit numbers and I don't know them, so the info is just "There's a slowdown between here and your house" and I'm aware of that, it is Houston.

Also, I scooped a newer Mobius just to prepare as mine's 2.5 years old at this point and they have a new lens, called lens 'D', with a slightly narrower FOV than the earlier wide-angle lenses. I will try to post some comparable side-by-sides, I have lots of old footage but it's so dry to look at. I've been really happy with mine though I understand some people like having a display, if you need small, no-frills and no GPS it's not bad at $80

I had tried to get a Mobius 2 but the order was cancelled on me at Amazon. Not sure if it's really the same manufacturer as the Mobius 2 has a 180º opposite mini-USB plug in roughly the same form factor, so I'm a bit relieved I don't need to re-run the power cord.

Google Maps has taken to telling me "Take the second right onto <street>, past the Jack in the Box/McDonalds/Wells Fargo/etc". I found out that switching the voice over to the bitchy British female voice really condenses the verbal prompts... "turn right ahead", "there's a slowdown ahead", etc... instead of dropping 15+ second lines about the next turn I need to make 10 seconds before I pass it.

Display is pretty much a must have for me, mostly so I can replay footage at the scene of an accident (saved my rear end once, when someone hit me..... and told the cop I ran a light, cop wound up ripping him a new rear end in a top hat after seeing the video). Also so I can aim it... and also have a visual indicator that it's on and running. Neither of my phones (work or personal) have SD slots, and I don't regularly carry a laptop with me.

I'm still kinda leaning toward the A119S, though I got my G1W semi working again by factory resetting it. It still loses the time occasionally, and sometimes corrupts the last bits of video, but at least it's keeping the settings again. I don't expect it to last long though.

JuffoWup posted:

I like when google tells me about slow traffic when I've been in stop and go for the last 5 minutes already.

"There's a 10 minute slowdown ahead!". NO poo poo, I'M AT A DEAD STOP ON I-30 ALREADY. :fuckoff:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

"There's a 10 minute slowdown ahead!". NO poo poo, I'M AT A DEAD STOP ON I-30 ALREADY. :fuckoff:

"Thanks for your contribution to our traffic data!"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sometimes when a traffic stop breaks up and I travel out of it at full speed the previously-red line turns blue right at my marker, transforming the road on the screen.

I like to think that they're looking at me specifically and using my data to update the traffic prediction. I know that's not how it works, but I sometimes like to think so :unsmith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hate it when I’m driving through the countryside where the locals haven’t gotten with the twenty‐first century.

If I knew about that wreck I could take a back road, but nope, no one has reported it even though traffic is backed up a great distance and first responders have been working on site for a while.

So I just drive into it and get stuck with everyone else.

Fuel prices: last updated eight months ago. :thumbsup:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I guess I'm buying a new dashcam a bit sooner than I wanted to. It lost the date and time again today... pulled it down to reset that, didn't notice anything odd. A few hours later I noticed some error kept flashing up, but went away before I could read it. So I pulled it back down, and uh... it's been taking lessons from MacBooks.

Who wants to play poke the LiPo battery?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 2, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d just swap the battery first and see if that solves it. Super cheap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah that just looks like a normal cheapo pack. It probably even has a JST connector.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Something tells me mine looks like that too and I probably should open it up. The battery hasn't done anything useful in a few years.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I guess I'm buying a new dashcam a bit sooner than I wanted to. It lost the date and time again today... pulled it down to reset that, didn't notice anything odd. A few hours later I noticed some error kept flashing up, but went away before I could read it. So I pulled it back down, and uh... it's been taking lessons from MacBooks.

The 402030 are roughly the outside dimensions. Find a replacement w/3.7v of similar size and it'll work again for two or three years. The exact mAh don't matter too much. Annoying but fixable.

Check Ebay or Aliexpress

Mo Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 2, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah that just looks like a normal cheapo pack. It probably even has a JST connector.

It's soldered to the board, but yeah, it wouldn't be hard getting another battery in there. I'd just snip the wires though; they're soldered from the other side of the board, which seems to be firmly glued in.

The battery is glued to the board itself though. Getting it removed without puncturing it would be.. interesting.

wolrah posted:

Something tells me mine looks like that too and I probably should open it up. The battery hasn't done anything useful in a few years.

Mine opened itself up sometime yesterday. I set the date and time earlier in the day and it was visibly fine; started seeing an error coming up around 11pm and pulled it down, and...

It's been having issues thinking it was still plugged in for awhile (and staying on until the battery dies); lately it's been either powering off immediately when I shut off the car, or power cycling about 10-20 times. So I'm not really sure the battery is the only issue (the immediate power off would definitely be related, but the rest... maybe, maybe not)

e: well poo poo.. dug out my old one (which was having the same issue thinking it was always plugged in). It powers on, but it looks like the image sensor is dead. And the battery is definitely done on it.. it's not bloated, but it loses the date/time immediately after being unplugged.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 2, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On mine the power and menu buttons just fell inside it at some point, so I have basically no ability to change settings anymore. I flick it to trigger the g-sensor if I want to save a clip.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The g1w is a piece of poo poo anyway, mine hit the windshield so hard it broke the windshield from the inside. Also smashed the camera and corrupt the file... Basically defeated the whole point of having a cam in a crash.

I really wish I had the clip of my car bursting into flames....

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've replaced a similar battery in my Genius dashcam. I ordered a two-pack of the battery on AliExpress for like $7 including shipping from china. Had to do a little soldering work on like 28ga wire (seriously lol the wire is sooo thin, you'll have a fun time stripping multi-strand wire that thin) but otherwise it worked fine.
200mAh seems super low, though. I think mine were like 600?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Why don't you just replace it with a super capacitor? That's all the g1w-c model does. It's literally the battery model with a capacitor soldered across the terminals. It's a massive bodge job, but so is the rest of the product... Seems to work well unless you crash.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Because I'm wanting something better than the G1W. In its day it was decent, but something with a better image sensor would be nice.

Plus, like I said, the camera has had issues for quite awhile. Darchangel did offer me a super cap that he has sitting around (and he's local to me), so I may try to solder it in, but I'd rather grab something better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My G1Wc looks like that, the case just plain gets murdered by the heat even without a battery swelling inside.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The g1w is well and truly outdated. It's not at all surprising they're all dying.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I just picked up a mini0906 and though I've only had it a few days, it seems like a pretty good camera. It's easy to use, seems to have fixed all the things people complain about with the 0805. Mine came as a kit with a rear camera which was kinda dumb since my car has tinted rear glass that slides down... hah. It'll be useful in my other car, though. I'll just order another one without the rear camera.
Next time I'd probably get suction cup mount not the sticking to the windshield kind.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

chrisgt posted:

Why don't you just replace it with a super capacitor? That's all the g1w-c model does. It's literally the battery model with a capacitor soldered across the terminals. It's a massive bodge job, but so is the rest of the product... Seems to work well unless you crash.
I researched this. The c model has programming that shuts the camera and saves your data faster. Apparently, a batteey model with the cap shuts down too slow and still corrupts the data. I guess you could get a bigger cap, but they're so cheap I'd just buy a whole new camera.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

I researched this. The c model has programming that shuts the camera and saves your data faster. Apparently, a batteey model with the cap shuts down too slow and still corrupts the data. I guess you could get a bigger cap, but they're so cheap I'd just buy a whole new camera.

It's supposed to do that, but it doesn't always work very well.

Replacing a G1W is always The Right Choice now that they've had a few years on them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My g1w failed in a matter of months and I never trusted it enough to use it as a dashcam again. The whole reason I got it was my driving record was a horror show of inspection tickets and I needed video proof that anything that happened wasn't my fault, a camera that randomly decides to freeze or just not record didn't inspire much confidence.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty good driving... FOR A TURKEY !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ieUvKf5enY

Safe holidays dashgoons :sassargh:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqcX1AjdxSw

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The Wirecutter did a Dashcam review...

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No A119? What a scam.