Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Zeroisanumber posted:

Why would you ever keep someone like this in your government? He's got "toxic" written all over him.

welcome to party whips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

in the united states a party whip is rarely discussed wrt govt and more often mentioned as a kind of recreation equip for adults

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Why would you ever keep someone like this in your government? He's got "toxic" written all over him.

thats how they spell torie in his dialect aint it :thunk:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Party discipline is just so good right now that it's only fair to give the guy in charge of it a huge promotion

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Squizzle posted:

in the united states a party whip is rarely discussed wrt govt and more often mentioned as a kind of recreation equip for adults

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

Party discipline is just so good right now that it's only fair to give the guy in charge of it a huge promotion

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
whips are great because instead of having some hundred or more human beings capable of thinking and reasoning independently in your party you can have a hundred drones that will vote anything you want no matter how dumb!

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

whips are great because instead of having some hundred or more human beings capable of thinking and reasoning independently in your party you can have a hundred drones that will vote anything you want no matter how dumb!
although not maintaining party unity is how America gets "blue dog democrats", and parties with full majorities unable to pass legislation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/alexGspence/sta...s-politics-live

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Being a toxic person is a necessary qualification for whips.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I think (tory) MPs don't realise most people don't care about their happiness?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
considering how many times may got through poo poo that would lead any previous pm to resign i’m amazed we don’t call her teflon theresa yet

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zeroisanumber posted:

Because he clearly has the dirty on May or at least enough Tories to take the government down

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

Because he clearly has the dirty on May or at least enough Tories to take the government down

I would make more fun of your weak PM, but we have Trump so I'm living in the platonic ideal of a glass house over here.

Squizzle posted:

maybe hes just a big britney fan???

Leave her alone, Squizzle!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

you discount too readily the possibility that may is just valuing loyalty over competence

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jBrereton posted:

It's important that the vassal to american power is a gullible idiot

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

lol May's chief whip basically forced out the minister for defense and appointed himself the role and its upset a lot of tory mp's

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/9...s-politics-live

"young men in suits"

new def sec is 41 lmao

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

nopantsjack posted:

"young men in suits"

new def sec is 41 lmao

if you’re not reaching your sixties and displaying signs of degenerative neuron disease you’re not fit to be important in parliament

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
every single fallon headline pun this morning was poo poo im v disappointed

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

"young men in suits"

new def sec is 41 lmao

youngtory.jpg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

UrbicaMortis posted:

This is a pretty good profile on him:

https://mobile.twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/926034360062631936?p=v

He seems to be going for a wannabe Machiavelli persona.

He seems like he watched House of Cards and has decided it wasn't fiction, it was a tutorial. Only he lacks the superficial charm of Francis Urquhart.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Jazerus posted:

youngtory.jpg

Isn't that still younger than the age that normal people won't consider voting tory?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes I think the age when Tories start becoming common in the general population is 50.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Do you think that being a Tory is like playing Black and White, where you get uglier and worse looking the more evil you are, or is the repugnance of young Tories what drives them in the first place

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's like the horse king from LOTR, except instead of a weird goth whispering in their ears it's their nasty, privileged parents. Corbyn is Alargorn or whatever the gently caress and they all live happily ever after in the planet of the teddy bears.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

a nobody who was chief whip for theresa may who just made himself the new head secretary of defense

he must be good at lifting her spirits

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Squizzle posted:

you discount too readily the possibility that may is just valuing loyalty over competence

He did support her leadership bid but apparently he was actually pretty competent in the whip's office. Of course, that doesn't necessarily make him any good as defence sec.

It seems like kinda a weird move on his part since he's just pissed off a bunch of other MPs whose support he'll need if he goes for the leadership but I can see why he wouldn't fancy being the whip in a shaky minority government.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

UrbicaMortis posted:

It seems like kinda a weird move on his part since he's just pissed off a bunch of other MPs whose support he'll need if he goes for the leadership but I can see why he wouldn't fancy being the whip in a shaky minority government.
Those MPs will be gone in 10 years, prob. If he works on it a bit the really arsey might be gone next week.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the tories have definitely stopped appointing people to ministerial positions based on whether they are competent in the area, as amber rudd’s home office leadership shows lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frijolero posted:

It's like the horse king from LOTR, except instead of a weird goth whispering in their ears it's their nasty, privileged parents. Corbyn is Alargorn or whatever the gently caress and they all live happily ever after in the planet of the teddy bears.

Good to see that the LSD we've been making has finally trickled across the pond.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the tories have definitely stopped appointing people to ministerial positions based on whether they are competent in the area, as amber rudd’s home office leadership shows lol

Chris Grayling has held ministerial posts for 7 years. They were never even pretending.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/926097277093113856

Tory meltdown is melting down even further.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/926134811013599233

:allears:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
And it turns out that Leadsom shanked Fallon. I cannot stop laughing

https://twitter.com/los_fisher/status/926208757574569984

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

tarbrush posted:

And it turns out that Leadsom shanked Fallon. I cannot stop laughing

https://twitter.com/los_fisher/status/926208757574569984

Lol, imagine being politically outplayed by Andrea Leadsom. Like drowning in a paddling pool

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Your new secretary of defense looks so british

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

these are the ideal examples of the English Race

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hakimashou posted:

Your new secretary of defense looks so british

british richard spencer