Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shadowlyger posted:

Short version: First thing everyone will do is a pick up a mod to restore the old FTL functionality. Gotcha.

Response thus far has been very positive so you can definitely do that if you want but I don't think you'll be part of some popular rebellion or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

If science ships have to be the first ones in system now can we change the dimensional horror to ignore them please? Especially if black holes are going to make it harder to get in to ftl.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

imweasel09 posted:

If science ships have to be the first ones in system now can we change the dimensional horror to ignore them please? Especially if black holes are going to make it harder to get in to ftl.

It's handled by sensors I think, since you can see 1 jump out at the least. Level 1 sensors only give you vision on current system, level 2 is 1 jump out.

E: New map shapes coming (possibly with Cherryh), one type is clusters.

E2: correction: military ships can enter unexplored, but low intel systems. You automatically have low intel on enemy empires during war.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 2, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Oh, reading further, they've hosed up Jump Drive. Great, there is no further reason to play this game unmodded.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shadowlyger posted:

Oh, reading further, they've hosed up Jump Drive. Great, there is no further reason to play this game unmodded.

:discourse:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Man, I've got a real itch to play this game again, but I'd rather not if 1.9 is coming out soonish.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Another banger: multiple ship behaviour computers (swarm, artillery etc.)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

SCALDING HOT TAKE

changes good

thread bad

:parrot:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Trivia posted:

Man, I've got a real itch to play this game again, but I'd rather not if 1.9 is coming out soonish.

Good news, it's not.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Trivia posted:

If 1.9 is out before late March at the earliest I'd be pretty shocked, going by how Wiz et al are talking. Start a new game!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Trivia posted:

it's not

canepazzo posted:

Another banger: multiple ship behaviour computers (swarm, artillery etc.)

yep! this is gonna own a lot.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm really happy with these changes, game's gonna be a lot better.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ship behaviors is currently a mod is it not? Integration of good ideas from the filthy disheveled volunteer devs community mod authors?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I kinda dislike them talking about new feature this far out, now I don't want to play before the patch since it sounds so much better.

But I was already waiting to play for like 4 months waiting for Synthetic Dawn. Then waiting for patches post-Synthetic Dawn to fix some of the early issues

:negative:

also they should have gone with wormholes as the base FTL instead of Hyperlanes. Hyperlanes are awful.

McGiggins posted:

Ship behaviors is currently a mod is it not? Integration of good ideas from the filthy disheveled volunteer devs community mod authors?

Its only a mod because it used to be a feature then was cut out.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Weapons now have plus or minus % armor, shield, and hull damage.

Also something called a Ion cannon on stations

Planets in the outlier have "status" icons: upgradable buildings, empty tiles, blockers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The new FTL rework isn't exactly like what I wanted and as a result I've issued a chargeback on Stellaris and negative reviews on all Paradox products on Steam.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Not sure about this one, I might be mistaken: fully teched, a fleet max size seems to be 60. Not sure about civics, traits and other bonuses.

Also: colonized barren world.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Zore posted:

I kinda dislike them talking about new feature this far out, now I don't want to play before the patch since it sounds so much better.

But I was already waiting to play for like 4 months waiting for Synthetic Dawn. Then waiting for patches post-Synthetic Dawn to fix some of the early issues

:negative:

also they should have gone with wormholes as the base FTL instead of Hyperlanes. Hyperlanes are awful.

Its only a mod because it used to be a feature then was cut out.
Someone will mod in the old ftl types if you miss them that badly but they aren't wrong in saying wormholes kind of poo poo on everything the update is trying to do. Not much point in a defensive structure or choke when you can just go from a to b without crossing the space in between.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

canepazzo posted:

Also: colonized barren world.

I think that was due to a cheat, he just selected it and typed "own" into console..

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What an update it is going to be. Feels like a whole new game is coming.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

The new FTL rework isn't exactly like what I wanted and as a result I've issued a chargeback on Stellaris and negative reviews on all Paradox products on Steam.

I bought this game because it had warp drives. I only play space games with warp drive functionality, not because it's innately better, but because I know after over 20 years of playing these sorts of games that warp drive functionality is my preference.

This change is effectively telling me that the game will no longer be what I bought (or at least that I'll have to play and maintain an outdated version of the game if I want to play what I bought).

So for me personally, the change is terrible, and just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth about all the money I've spent on this game, that I would not have spent had I known this change would be implemented. I can assure you no more of my money will be spent on this game or PDX. There are plenty of other decent games to buy instead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

(That dev diary thread is fantastic)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shadowlyger posted:

:lol: if you play any Paradox game completely unmodded.

Update looks so, so, so good though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

imweasel09 posted:

There seems to be a plan for ships retreating individually, so civilians engaged in fights will probably just try to run away to the jump point on sublight. So you're not relying on somehow surviving for a month while emergency FTL charges.

Also for those that can't wait for this patch, just play Sins of a Solar Empire - it's got a lot of these new features.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Twitch chat seemed convinced that they accidentally shown, blink and you missed it, titan class spaceships.

Also, you can build at least some system defenses on planets (such as warp inhibitors)

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
So, uh, there might be buildable player Titans based on the stream.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Planets in the outlier have "status" icons: upgradable buildings, empty tiles, blockers.

Like this ^

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

By "hosed up" you mean they made them loving amazing, sure

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Now that hyperlanes are the way to get around I hope that the game can get nice looking filler stars on the galactic map to make space look larger.

E: What I mean by this is having the galaxy map be filled with hundreds of stars, but only having a handful of them be real and hook up to the hyperlane network, with the rest just being sprites that exist to make the galaxy look more galaxyish.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 2, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Really glad to hear that more galaxy shapes like clusters will be (eventually, someday) coming.

Also, the Dev Diary I A+ #1 most want to read is:
"STELLARIS DEV DIARY #94: HOW WE FIXED THE CRIPPLING LATE GAME SLOWDOWN."

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Bholder posted:

By "hosed up" you mean they made them loving amazing, sure

Long rear end cooldown that cripples your fleet after using it is not exactly my idea of "amazing".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Really glad to hear that more galaxy shapes like clusters will be (eventually, someday) coming.

Also, the Dev Diary I A+ #1 most want to read is:
"STELLARIS DEV DIARY #94: HOW WE FIXED THE CRIPPLING LATE GAME SLOWDOWN."

It’ll just be “USE SMALL GALAXIES”

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

I bought this game because it had warp drives. I only play space games with warp drive functionality, not because it's innately better, but because I know after over 20 years of playing these sorts of games that warp drive functionality is my preference.

This change is effectively telling me that the game will no longer be what I bought (or at least that I'll have to play and maintain an outdated version of the game if I want to play what I bought).

So for me personally, the change is terrible, and just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth about all the money I've spent on this game, that I would not have spent had I known this change would be implemented. I can assure you no more of my money will be spent on this game or PDX. There are plenty of other decent games to buy instead.

Would you say they tore away your ability to feel human?

Also I expect there will be a day 1 mod for restoring warp/wormhole

Shadowlyger posted:

Long rear end cooldown that cripples your fleet after using it is not exactly my idea of "amazing".

He already teased this:

Stations are a joke now late game but if you can have them with 10s of thousands of fleet power I'm suspecting being able to skip them will indeed be a big deal.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 2, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Would you say they tore away your ability to feel human?

Also I expect there will be a day 1 mod for restoring warp/wormhole

I have to admit, I'm a bit angry and sad right now...

I absolutely HATE the removal of warp. I only ever roleplay STAR TREK games in Stellaris (using base game graphics and a couple name list mods) and now the game won't have warp drive... I have logged over 1350 hours in this game and this is such a fundamental change TO THE WAY I PLAY, I'm actually angry right now... Adding geography is nice and all, but this is a SPACE simulator... with space, you're supposed to be able to go anywhere and not be limited. Uggh... will seriously make me reconsider playing Stellaris as I WILL NO LONGER GET MY STAR TREK ROLEPLAY FIX (and I can't stand STO) and that makes me sad.

I've also played some hyperlane and hyperlane-only games, and I'm not a fan. I don't like the restrictions on where you can go. Chokepoints don't make sense in a SPACE game. And I could go on with why I don't like them, but I've already tried them in an environment where everyone was forced to use them, and still didn't like using them from a ROLEPLAY or GAMEPLAY perspective.

Why not simply force combat engagements when two enemy fleets are within 2 systems of each other; no sublight chase to an engagement area, just put them into combat and let us see the result. That would have solved more problems with warfare than this FTL re-work will, and it wouldn't have angered this former Stellaris fan (and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way).

TLDR; won't play without warp as I can't roleplay Star Trek. Thanks for fundamentally altering a great game into something I no longer have any desire to play. Find a better solution to problematic warfare.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Shadowlyger posted:

They let you cheat the geography of the galaxy - that's incredible. The only way they could be even better is if they also let you cheat the in-system geography and jump from anywhere in-system to anywhere in the target system.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So if "destroying" a starbase occupies a system does that mean ground combat is gone? I like the idea of troops but I hate the current troop/invasion system.
Something like an abstracted manpower pool of ground troops that you need to spend to occupy territory in a war would be a great way to prevent total steam-roller victories. The enemy fleet is shattered but as a little 4 planet "tall" empire that hasn't really built up a huge army you just can't justify the costs to occupy the entire 10 system enemy empire.

My only concern with jump drives is that they sound awesome as a player and allow for some creative strategies, but will the AI be able to figure them out? To think up sneaky strategies that take good advantage of the jump drive's abilities plus downside?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Truga posted:

I have to admit, I'm a bit angry and sad right now...

I absolutely HATE the removal of warp. I only ever roleplay STAR TREK games in Stellaris (using base game graphics and a couple name list mods) and now the game won't have warp drive... I have logged over 1350 hours in this game and this is such a fundamental change TO THE WAY I PLAY, I'm actually angry right now... Adding geography is nice and all, but this is a SPACE simulator... with space, you're supposed to be able to go anywhere and not be limited. Uggh... will seriously make me reconsider playing Stellaris as I WILL NO LONGER GET MY STAR TREK ROLEPLAY FIX (and I can't stand STO) and that makes me sad.

I've also played some hyperlane and hyperlane-only games, and I'm not a fan. I don't like the restrictions on where you can go. Chokepoints don't make sense in a SPACE game. And I could go on with why I don't like them, but I've already tried them in an environment where everyone was forced to use them, and still didn't like using them from a ROLEPLAY or GAMEPLAY perspective.

Why not simply force combat engagements when two enemy fleets are within 2 systems of each other; no sublight chase to an engagement area, just put them into combat and let us see the result. That would have solved more problems with warfare than this FTL re-work will, and it wouldn't have angered this former Stellaris fan (and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way).

TLDR; won't play without warp as I can't roleplay Star Trek. Thanks for fundamentally altering a great game into something I no longer have any desire to play. Find a better solution to problematic warfare.

lmao. It will be a day 1 mod and I expect the trek mod will be updated in short order.

Nice Meltdown.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

lmao. It will be a day 1 mod and I expect the trek mod will be updated in short order.

Nice Meltdown.

we’re quoting the dev diary thread

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

we’re quoting the dev diary thread

Don't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You know, the more i think about this, the more enraged i get. I bought this game for the mutliple FTL, to be able to create different races using different tropes and different gameplay styles. People complain about this game being generic but this EXACERBATES that problem. Those of us who hate Hyperlanes are being told "The game you bought is no longer being supported."

Honestly, if the game i bought has been abandoned in the current state, i'd like the option for a refund. I already have Sword of the Stars.

• Locked thread