Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

twistedmentat posted:

Does that mean it could be a network show or just streaming services? Disney's streaming service doesn't start until like 2019?

It probably means they are looking for Hulu to make an offer, because I don't see them giving it to anyone else. My guess is they see what offers they can get for the show (probably Hulu, again, since they already have one show with them) and if they don't like what they see they take a shot at putting it on ABC proper to maximize viewership. Unless their streaming thing is actually in 2018 and not 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Does that mean it could be a network show or just streaming services? Disney's streaming service doesn't start until like 2019?

Apparently they can only sell it to a network/service that Disney owns. Probably not ABC since there are rumors they're selling it. Hulu makes the most sense, because otherwise it would end up being Disney or Disney XD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Apparently they can only sell it to a network/service that Disney owns. Probably not ABC since there are rumors they're selling it. Hulu makes the most sense, because otherwise it would end up being Disney or Disney XD.

Selling ABC?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Selling ABC?

There's some analysts saying they need to dump ABC. Probably the same ones telling them to drop ESPN. Both are lodestones around Disney's neck.

They've done some layoffs at ABC, but Disney has repeatedly said selling ABC (or ESPN) is not on the table for now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There is no reason for them to sell ABC until it fails at streaming. Declining ratings is kind of irrelevant when everyone has them. Now if ABC can't compete in the digital market, then it is in trouble. But they really haven't tried much there yet.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I'd figure that serving as an advertising platform for other Disney products, as well as one of the larger news sources, would be enough for ABC to be a worthwhile investment for Disney.

Even more so for ESPN, since they probably boast a larger market share.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm sure Inhumans will save the network ratings

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm sure Inhumans will save the network ratings

Our lord and savior Scott Buck

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

There's some analysts saying they need to dump ABC. Probably the same ones telling them to drop ESPN. Both are lodestones around Disney's neck.

They've done some layoffs at ABC, but Disney has repeatedly said selling ABC (or ESPN) is not on the table for now.

Why would ESPN be a lodestone? Its revenue is declining compared to previous years, but its still a huge money maker AFAIK

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shageletic posted:

Why would ESPN be a lodestone? Its revenue is declining compared to previous years, but its still a huge money maker AFAIK

Because ESPN isn't constantly growing and bringing in more and more money every quarter.

They still make money, but it isn't constantly growing and making more and more gently caress off money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's millstone guys not lodestone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It's millstone guys not lodestone.

Yes, that is what I meant. I used the wrong one.

Back on topic, I think ESPN is set up to take a huge step into the red when their current licensing and broadcast deals are up for renewal. They've been signing mysteriously expensive contracts with NCAA, NFL, MLB and NBA for broadcast rights. This is the company that paid $100 Million for a single NFL playoff game that was for a wildcard just this last January.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Because ESPN isn't constantly growing and bringing in more and more money every quarter.

They still make money, but it isn't constantly growing and making more and more gently caress off money.

Gotta love the way business works. It isn't enough to consistently make money and be profitable, you have to be more profitable every quarter and if not, just set it all on fire because making nothing is better than making less than you wanted!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ToastyPotato posted:

Gotta love the way business works. It isn't enough to consistently make money and be profitable, you have to be more profitable every quarter and if not, just set it all on fire because making nothing is better than making less than you wanted!

:capitalism:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

ToastyPotato posted:

Well a cluster of balloons isn't going to cause noticable drag hanging off the back of your Toyota Corolla but Disney is an experimental rocket car setting records in the salt flats...or whatever.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Looks like X-Men and Fantastic Four are coming back into the fold?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...flow-twitter-tv

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Talks being currently dead also don't mean off the table. Actually, wasn't the Spider-Man Sony deal "dead" at one point and "even if it were alive it was definitely too late for Spider-Man to be in Civil War", except both of the statements turned out to be completely false?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They could just be lying so they can announce it on their own terms as a "surprise"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The fact that shares for both companies went UP on the mere rumor of the talks basically tells you all you need to know about the likelihood of talks continuing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

They could just be lying so they can announce it on their own terms as a "surprise"

That's more of a Marvel move than a Disney acquiring a new company move.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, acquisitions take time, lots of regulatory work, and so on. It's not something you reveal as a "surprise."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, acquisitions take time, lots of regulatory work, and so on. It's not something you reveal as a "surprise."

Regulatory work no longer exists in Trump’s America.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wentworth Miller has announced that he's officially dropping out of the Arrowverse and is currently filming his final episodes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
poo poo! He is the best part. I hope he gets to interact with Matt Ryan's Constantine before it's too late.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

poo poo! He is the best part. I hope he gets to interact with Matt Ryan's Constantine before it's too late.

When's the last time Matt Ryan did something Arrowverse that wasn't a cartoon?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC he's going to be on Legends this season.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC he's going to be on Legends this season.

Stop trying to trick me into watching Legends of Tomorrow.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Stop trying to trick me into watching Legends of Tomorrow.

He is def going to be in this season in a two parter

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Wentworth Miller has announced that he's officially dropping out of the Arrowverse and is currently filming his final episodes.

That sucks. I wonder if he had a bad experience.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

He said he couldn't work one more day with that talentless hack Wentworth Miller.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He might just want to be in good things, delivering good dialogue.

Don't get me wrong, I love him in all his lovely genre shows, but between 4 loving seasons of Prison Break, then Flash and (ugh) Legends of Tomorrow, he might want to try legitimate acting for a change.

He once played a young Anthony Hopkins in a movie based off a Philip Roth novel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

As much fun as Miller is hamming it up, I do think the Berlanti crew has mismanaged the character. The hero turn and then sacrifice was a mistake.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

It could be that there is simply no where else to go with the character since they finished his arc and they could only bring him back for time travel stuff and alternate realities.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

He might just want to be in good things, delivering good dialogue.

Don't get me wrong, I love him in all his lovely genre shows, but between 4 loving seasons of Prison Break, then Flash and (ugh) Legends of Tomorrow, he might want to try legitimate acting for a change.

He once played a young Anthony Hopkins in a movie based off a Philip Roth novel.

LoL, watch the Loft.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

LoL, watch the Loft.

This doesn't sound like a sincere recommendation, so I'm going to pass.

Fake Edit: Oh poo poo, it has Karl Urban and James Marsden in it too, it's the most comic book version game of "oh, it's that guy" possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's quite dreadful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's quite dreadful.

I should mention the movie with where he was playing a young Anthony Hopkins, they were both playing a black person pretending to be white. Also Anthony Hopkins fucks a janitor, who's played by Nicole Kidman.

Directed by the writer of the Christopher Reeves Superman movie. (That bit I looked up, but it makes it a nice wrap around for the comic book subforum)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Watch Stoker. It's an excellent, beautiful, haunting, creepy film from the director of Oldboy and The Handmaiden (which are both amazing as well). Miller isn't in it, but he wrote the drat screenplay.

Skwirl posted:

I should mention the movie with where he was playing a young Anthony Hopkins, they were both playing a black person pretending to be white. Also Anthony Hopkins fucks a janitor, who's played by Nicole Kidman.

Directed by the writer of the Christopher Reeves Superman movie. (That bit I looked up, but it makes it a nice wrap around for the comic book subforum)

As weird as that sounds, Miller is multi-ethnic, and his father is black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Watch Stoker. It's an excellent, beautiful, haunting, creepy film from the director of Oldboy and The Handmaiden (which are both amazing as well). Miller isn't in it, but he wrote the drat screenplay.

As weird as that sounds, Miller is multi-ethnic, and his father is black.

I think I knew that, the weirder part is Anthony Hopkins playing a Black man