Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Turd Herder posted:

Ok I'll bite. What Kingdom game?

Its supposedly some procedurally generated medieval world that you show up in, and colonists arrive by ship every so often and you build up a village and take other villages

Dunno if its any good yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently Life is Feudal the MMO comes out in 2 weeks

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Subterrain qs: ive finally installed t2 oxygen/thermal in the 8 closest districts and i need to finally start heading out to the harder ones. the reactors got plenty of juice, research is mostly caught up to date - am i looking at packing like 6 canisters of each type and just living in the hard districts for a few days? or should i be headed back and forth? apparently they're 10 floors and at 30%+ they're probably going to be loving assholes.

by the time ive cleared one or at least got the chip, am i going to be dealing with the later districts at like 80% or something

Phi230 posted:

Its supposedly some procedurally generated medieval world that you show up in, and colonists arrive by ship every so often and you build up a village and take other villages

Dunno if its any good yet

whats the name of this game

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Verviticus posted:

whats the name of this game

I would guess it might be this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/409590/KINGDOMS/

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's that. It's really interesting but there isn't much to it unless you found your own village

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
from the steam reviews there's not a lot to it even after that

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Picked up Osiris New dawn. It is a EA game but at $15 its pretty polished.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turd Herder posted:

Picked up Osiris New dawn. It is a EA game but at $15 its pretty polished.

I last played that way back when it first came out on EA, so around a year ago. My experience of the game was pretty much spending 20 minutes running everywhere on foot to grab resources. It wasn't really my style, but checking it out now, it seems they've made so much progress on the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I played Osiris a few months ago and it's pretty terribly padding out the gameplay by making you walk everywhere. Also as far as I can tell it's literally impossible to survive the early game without dying. You will succumb to thirst a few times before you get any kind of base going.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just want a space survival game where annoying fluff isn't added in the form of exhaustive grinding to make the game feel bigger than it is. I want to be able to have fun gathering resources and building. I don't want every resource run to consist of 30 minutes of boredom and tedium. Best game I've played that balances resource gathering with fun gameplay (but not too easy) is Empyrion Galactic Survival: early game has you mining it by hand, which can take a while but the first time you do it isn't too bad. You then research Hover Vehicles that lets you put big old manual drills on it and then you can use that to mine much faster and zip around the planet quicker.

But for a game to be fun for me, building needs to be nicely implemented. Emyprion doesn't do this well, sadly. Trying to make an all-glass cockpit is a lesson in futility cause the blocks don't mesh properly together and it's such a royal pain in the rear end. Coupled with the fact that getting into fights will almost always end up with some blocks being destroyed, yet you have no system to automate rebuilding of blocks, which means after every battle, you need to inspect your ship and then repair the damage by hand, which is fine on smallish, basic designed ships, but can become very tedious and frustrating when you've got a very intricately designed ship that has a lot of different shaped blocks to give it a nice look.

Edit: Don't get me started on Space Engineers. It's the jankiest game ever. Spend hours designing a ship, only for it to get destroyed because physics bugs the gently caress out and slams it into the ground for no apparent reason. Plus the welding is such a ball ache, even if you build a ship with a welder on it, you'll either end up smashing it into something, or building the ship in such a way that blocks you from welding the interior blocks.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 1, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shores of Hazeron but it's dead

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Phi230 posted:

God, is that still around? I tried it something like ten years ago when I was still on Penny Arcade. There were server issues that weekend and every single NPC and monster were stuck in place.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

God, is that still around? I tried it something like ten years ago when I was still on Penny Arcade. There were server issues that weekend and every single NPC and monster were stuck in place.

It's like a subscription service to play now, the guy still develops the game, but only less than 12 people play it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
last I played Life is Feudal was 2 years ago, it has come a LOOOONG way since then and I would actually recommend it. It's like Wurm but better by virtue of mountain blade combat and being made in TYOOL 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Q8ee posted:

I just want a space survival game where annoying fluff isn't added in the form of exhaustive grinding to make the game feel bigger than it is. I want to be able to have fun gathering resources and building. I don't want every resource run to consist of 30 minutes of boredom and tedium. Best game I've played that balances resource gathering with fun gameplay (but not too easy) is Empyrion Galactic Survival: early game has you mining it by hand, which can take a while but the first time you do it isn't too bad. You then research Hover Vehicles that lets you put big old manual drills on it and then you can use that to mine much faster and zip around the planet quicker.

But for a game to be fun for me, building needs to be nicely implemented. Emyprion doesn't do this well, sadly. Trying to make an all-glass cockpit is a lesson in futility cause the blocks don't mesh properly together and it's such a royal pain in the rear end. Coupled with the fact that getting into fights will almost always end up with some blocks being destroyed, yet you have no system to automate rebuilding of blocks, which means after every battle, you need to inspect your ship and then repair the damage by hand, which is fine on smallish, basic designed ships, but can become very tedious and frustrating when you've got a very intricately designed ship that has a lot of different shaped blocks to give it a nice look.

Edit: Don't get me started on Space Engineers. It's the jankiest game ever. Spend hours designing a ship, only for it to get destroyed because physics bugs the gently caress out and slams it into the ground for no apparent reason. Plus the welding is such a ball ache, even if you build a ship with a welder on it, you'll either end up smashing it into something, or building the ship in such a way that blocks you from welding the interior blocks.

it's not strictly in space but you might get a kick out of Factorio, which is entirely about rigging up an insanely convoluted base to do all the grindy bullshit for you while you gently caress around with conveyor belts and hand grenades

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Q8ee posted:

getting into fights will almost always end up with some blocks being destroyed, yet you have no system to automate rebuilding of blocks, which means after every battle, you need to inspect your ship and then repair the damage by hand, which is fine on smallish, basic designed ships, but can become very tedious and frustrating when you've got a very intricately designed ship that has a lot of different shaped blocks to give it a nice look.

let me tell you about the Guy Fieri

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's not strictly in space but you might get a kick out of Factorio, which is entirely about rigging up an insanely convoluted base to do all the grindy bullshit for you while you gently caress around with conveyor belts and hand grenades

Factorio is fab

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Phi230 posted:

Hazeron isn't dead, it came back a couple years ago. It's a fun, really janky game, but when goons played it, it was particularly amusing. Too bad we got rolled by the much bigger alliance and lost everything.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Phi230 posted:

last I played Life is Feudal was 2 years ago, it has come a LOOOONG way since then and I would actually recommend it. It's like Wurm but better by virtue of mountain blade combat and being made in TYOOL 2017

Is it still grindy as HELL with defaults?

I have literally never seen a more solo-hostile game in that regard. Which is too bad because it seemed like something I'd enjoy if I had like 15 friends populating a server.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fayk posted:

Is it still grindy as HELL with defaults?

I have literally never seen a more solo-hostile game in that regard. Which is too bad because it seemed like something I'd enjoy if I had like 15 friends populating a server.

It took me like less than an hour to get a couple houses for my friends and a farm started all by myself.

It took about an hour to get a skill to lvl 60 which is about as high as you'll really need unless you find a niche (like becoming the village farmer or blacksmith exclusively)

It's not really a game you can solo. You need a community just because of skill caps requiring specialization.

But they have 3 separate skill caps now (one for combat skills, one for general, one for stats) and the game doesn't feel like a grind at least not yet. I hear getting to lvl 80+ is a grind.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

A little late, BUT: I loaded up The Forest recently after not having played it for... gosh, a long time, not sure how long it was, but the game is completely different from what I remember now. I really enjoy it, although I could do with a little more interactive wildlife (note that I'm not very far in the game, though, so maybe I just haven't seen it yet). Crocodiles are the only real threat I've encountered from animals, but you can really easily just outrun them if you're on land.

It feels a lot like the first few days of ARK, where you're running around scrambling to get everything, building your first few shelters etc., but with that part extended. The death mechanic with the mutants is nice and forgiving as well, but doesn't !ruin immersion!.

They still freak me out, though. I blame The Descent for that. :colbert:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I've had a very different experience. I feel like The Forest launched with a 50% complete game and after more than three years of early access development, they've managed to get it to a whopping 70% complete.

I was very impressed with how they launched and very disappointed with the glacial place of development ever since. It's still a fun game for a few hours, but it was almost as fun at Month 6 as it is at Month 40.

I was worried Early Access profits would cause developers to get lazy and not develop their games to their full potential. The Forest is the poster child for that. I guess Subnautica would be the opposite.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

the black husserl posted:

I've had a very different experience. I feel like The Forest launched with a 50% complete game and after more than three years of early access development, they've managed to get it to a whopping 70% complete.

I was very impressed with how they launched and very disappointed with the glacial place of development ever since. It's still a fun game for a few hours, but it was almost as fun at Month 6 as it is at Month 40.

I was worried Early Access profits would cause developers to get lazy and not develop their games to their full potential. The Forest is the poster child for that. I guess Subnautica would be the opposite.

Wow, I didn't know it had been that long. I think I just picked up the game a year ago and forgot about it until playing it last month... yikes!

While I still like it, I definitely agree that it's not finished - I feel like there's a lot more that could be added to it, but it's a lot of fun packed into the time before you get bored. It's a bummer that it's been in early access for that long, though, and my expectations for future content have now been adjusted. You're right about early access profits, they seem to suck the motivation right out of the majority of development teams.

I haven't touched Subnautica in a long time. My husband's a big fan, but he said the story stuff they're introducing is kinda ehhhh. I think he preferred just swimming around making bases and trying to capture that giant leviathan thing in them. I'll have to give it another shot soon and see for myself.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hey I played subterrain. Don't play or buy this game. I'm spoiling this because gently caress this game I'm mad as hell.

I spent 20 hours fighting against the infestation clock and the last quarter of it was a slog but I figured the game was almost over so I'd deal with it. FINALLY researched that nav chip, YAY. That was a mostly fun game, right? A bit grindy but oh well.

So you get off planet in a shuttle but the space station shoots you down because you don't identify yourself (???) and you crash land back on the planet but this time in a secret mansion where there's some plot poo poo about the head guy and your coworker made this apology letter and an infection cure. There's this door that will open once infection is at 0% globally. So you have to do this long research and go back and install purifiers in every single place all while the infection is going at 5x pace, then leave them there for an entire day while they charge up.

So that took me another 5-6 hours of game play to do, with a bunch of farming because the filters were expensive (biomass, specifically). And 6 tram trips around trying to speed time forward So with THAT complete I can finally go to the door and it opens and there's... a final boss? He's huge and basically unstoppable and even with max weapons and gear I couldn't dent him after trying for over an hour. He just gets faster and faster. I look online and you're supposed to come equipped with max researched healthkits and +speed, but uh well I never researched those because biomass was so precious the entire game.

And now because infection is at 0% I can't get any more materials to do it. I look on the wiki and find there's a second, stronger boss after the first, say gently caress this game and uninstall. What a loving waste of 30 hours.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 2, 2017

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Subnautica and The Forest have a similar problem in my experience: they can't decide if they want to be story-driven games or freeform building games. Subnautica is a bit worse since so much is gated behind story progression*, and with The Forest the story is only really there if you go looking for it, but both games suffer from the lack of focus.

I don't know if there's a good way to solve this, since as many have pointed out the survival aspects of both games quickly become pretty trivial and after that there has to be something to keep the player interested. The Forest is fun for a while as a wage-war-on-cannibals simulator, at least, and the multiplayer can be very entertaining.

I just wish The Forest had better options for building mobile bases. I was real stoked when the houseboat was added but it's so janky and impossible to control in singleplayer that it's useless as a floating base :(

*it's more gated behind exploration, which is really great the first time you're playing through, but gets really, really old after you've had to go to x place to get x blueprint the 5th time...

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

That's not a problem with survival games, that's a problem with overindulging in Early Access! I'm holding off on actually playing Subnautica until it goes gold for exactly that reason. Going in blind, I expect it to be one of the best games I've ever played. Returns would be way diminished if I'd already run through it at 65% complete, 75% complete, etc.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
The market really could use a really good multiplayer PvE focused game. (Forest is sort of along these lines, but has its issues).

But I mean when you look at things like Ark/Conan, etc, they're spreading their focus by trying to cater to PvP and PvE and the PvE ends up being pretty thin.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bhodi posted:

Hey I played subterrain. Don't play or buy this game. I'm spoiling this because gently caress this game I'm mad as hell.

I spent 20 hours fighting against the infestation clock and the last quarter of it was a slog but I figured the game was almost over so I'd deal with it. FINALLY researched that nav chip, YAY. That was a mostly fun game, right? A bit grindy but oh well.

So you get off planet in a shuttle but the space station shoots you down because you don't identify yourself (???) and you crash land back on the planet but this time in a secret mansion where there's some plot poo poo about the head guy and your coworker made this apology letter and an infection cure. There's this door that will open once infection is at 0% globally. So you have to do this long research and go back and install purifiers in every single place all while the infection is going at 5x pace, then leave them there for an entire day while they charge up.

So that took me another 5-6 hours of game play to do, with a bunch of farming because the filters were expensive (biomass, specifically). And 6 tram trips around trying to speed time forward So with THAT complete I can finally go to the door and it opens and there's... a final boss? He's huge and basically unstoppable and even with max weapons and gear I couldn't dent him after trying for over an hour. He just gets faster and faster. I look online and you're supposed to come equipped with max researched healthkits and +speed, but uh well I never researched those because biomass was so precious the entire game.

And now because infection is at 0% I can't get any more materials to do it. I look on the wiki and find there's a second, stronger boss after the first, say gently caress this game and uninstall. What a loving waste of 30 hours.

man i never knew the end game got that ridiculous

appreciate you taking the bullet

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the black husserl posted:

That's not a problem with survival games, that's a problem with overindulging in Early Access! I'm holding off on actually playing Subnautica until it goes gold for exactly that reason. Going in blind, I expect it to be one of the best games I've ever played. Returns would be way diminished if I'd already run through it at 65% complete, 75% complete, etc.

This is definitely true, and you're making the right decision re: Subnautica - it is a super neat game and I'm not touching it again until it's truly "done."

I guess I've been spoiled by the approach The Long Dark took - playing a lot of survival mode in EA didn't really impact enjoyment of the (unfortunately disappointing) story mode, when it was finally released, since they are totally separate experiences. Even the "let's explain this mechanic you already know via boring fetch quest" problems with story mode would have been there if you had *only* played story mode.

Perhaps that's the way to go: release the sandbox mode in EA, and save any story stuff for a full release. Keeps everyone happy?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Bhodi posted:

-true stuff about poo poo endings-

For the record you can consider yourself to have beaten the game. It launched with no ending beyond the shuttle getting exploded. And uh, yeah. The game takes a nose dive after that point. It would be a pretty decent experience at around 3 hours per game. The way evolution is tracked on an individual basis for each monster is a neat take, and how they have a limited ecosystem going on when you're gone is also pretty cool. Reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies before they turned off the critter AI. 30 hours for your winning run, which requires you to be spoiled on every step of the process and know what resources you're actually going to run short on and need to farm, spreads the little novelty there is over too many random floors.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, i was considering buying it. Now i wont!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i had a feeling the game was going to gently caress me on blood samples or whatever and it's nice to know they obviously hosed those numbers up

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Well poo poo. I've been playing Subterrain (on easy) and enjoying it. Shame they added what sounds like two bullshit bosses in.

What's the answer? Plasma guns? I'm having a heck of a time researching them given how much metal everything takes.

How are we meant to build up enough blood samples to make these advanced med kits anyway? They seem like an extremely limited resource.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Randomly decided to search the games forum for Osiris New Dawn, ended up reading the past 2-3 pages and saw the posts on Subterrain. Man, I am really glad I decided to get a refund for it after 1.5 hours of play... sounds like a nightmare walking. I do not want super tedious time limited bullshit.

On a different note, Empyrion is still as good as ever and 7.0 added a bunch of new features. I'm not really sure why there are so many new negative reviews for it on Steam. I've put .. 70 more hours into it over the past two weeks.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 4, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vasler posted:

Well poo poo. I've been playing Subterrain (on easy) and enjoying it. Shame they added what sounds like two bullshit bosses in.

What's the answer? Plasma guns? I'm having a heck of a time researching them given how much metal everything takes.

How are we meant to build up enough blood samples to make these advanced med kits anyway? They seem like an extremely limited resource.

yeah, i just used the low tier of medkit. they're basically free and theres no penalty for chugging them

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Archonex posted:

You guys know that Don't Starve Together has a mode literally just like that now, right?

If you turn on Endless mode in world generation then there's no permadeath or punishingly unfair death mechanics. Instead of hovering around as a ghost for eternity waiting for someone to resurrect you (or for you to find one of the secret resurrection methods) you just go back to the Florid Gate as a ghost and click on it to respawn. No losing all your progress or anything like that. As I recall, the worst you have to do is go grab your items where they dropped and hike back to where ever your base is. Which can set you back. But only if you mess up and make a mistake, instead of the game punishing you for the act of failing itself.

It's literally the only way I can tolerate the game too. The early game is filled with horrifying (and hilarious) deaths if you don't know what you're doing. And even the end game can be pretty brutal at times. With Endless mode on you can actually enjoy Don't Starve as one of the few survival sims out there that actually keeps a challenge all the way through without the tedious bullshit it throws at you. DST also has a solo play mode too, for those who don't have/want the single player mode.

Granted, I don't know how it is in the single player game now. But the multiplayer version is great. In fact, if there's interest I can throw up a server on the private games forum with a random grab bag of mods to show off the game. Pretty sure it's on sale right now, so now would probably be a good time to start something like that anyways if there's interest. Wouldn't even need that much interest too, since I think the cap on players per server is like 6. It's a game meant to be played with a small number of people you know or can get along with.

I'd be interested in playing Don't Starve Together with other goons. I've played Don't Starve regular edition for a while much earlier in its lifecycle, but only recently became aware of the multiplayer version Don't Starve Together. I'm not the most experienced player, especially since I've mostly played the vanilla single player, and I'd be more than happy to play with people entirely new to the series.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Just found a fun 2d survival game.

"The Legend of Zelda meets Stardew Valley and Terraria in this gorgeous and compelling singleplayer experience."

It has a demo on itch.io
Forager

It's been pretty fun game so far. It is a little janky but its only an alpha demo. I do like the concept of crafting gold coins to buy new areas around your island.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Conan Exiles still doesn't let you put a head on a spike :whitewater:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This thread must survive! Are there any decent Android survival games? Preferably something turn based or that you can leave at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I'm seeing Ylands on top of the steam charts and was wonder if any goons have played and have any input on the game.