Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zaphod42 posted:

Gw are so bad at writing clear rules.

"If a zoanthrope unit from your army consisting of at least 3 models is within 6" of another 2 such units"

So does that mean your enemy has to be fielding zoanthropes too? Rules as Written thats how it works. I think they meant 2 enemy units of at least 3 models but god drat guys, be clear when writing rules!

What? No. You need to have 3 units of at least 3 Zoes within 6 inches of each other. They all give up their psychic phase and shoot the barrage. It's Linebreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Harkano posted:

Thanks. Guess I'm not getting started on those kits tonight. Luckily I've got enough other stuff to put together.

You should still build them with the Lascannons, they're a good option as well. Glue down the top hatch with the hole in it, but don't glue the turret in. Leave it loose so you can swap out.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

3 Units of 3 Zoanthropes can create a psychic barrage, but 2 units of 5 cannot :)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Zuul the Cat posted:

You should still build them with the Lascannons, they're a good option as well. Glue down the top hatch with the hole in it, but don't glue the turret in. Leave it loose so you can swap out.

Don't glue the hatch with the hole either, that way you can just replace it with a closed hatch like a regular rhino if you want.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

Gw are so bad at writing clear rules.

"If a zoanthrope unit from your army consisting of at least 3 models is within 6" of another 2 such units"

So does that mean your enemy has to be fielding zoanthropes too? Rules as Written thats how it works. I think they meant 2 enemy units of at least 3 models but god drat guys, be clear when writing rules!

It's really funny to me when people get all "GW IS SO BAD AT WRITING RULES" and it turns out that actually they have terrible reading comprehension.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I'm trying out a full marine list with a proxied Kantor. Lately I've been using mixed marines and guard, and the marines are tank heavy, so I don't get a lot out of chapter tactics. This one is built where almost every model can use the tactics, and I'll see how much I can keep in Kantors reroll bubble

2k spearhead + batt

Librarian with sword
Jump lt with MC bolter and fist of vengeance
Kantor

5 intercessors with gl + sword
5 tac marines with flamer, combi flamer, fist, meltabomb, in an asscan razorback

Apothecary with teeth of terra
Dreadnought with TLLC and storm bolter
Relic contemptor with KAC, chainfist, heavy flamer

7 devastators with cherub and 4 lascannons
2x 5 model hellblaster squads with assault
incinerator

4 assault bolter inceptors

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

chutche2 posted:

2k spearhead + batt

Librarian with sword
Jump lt with MC bolter and fist of vengeance
Kantor

5 tac marines with flamer, combi flamer, fist, meltabomb, in an asscan razorback

Apothecary with teeth of terra
Dreadnought with TLLC and storm bolter
Relic contemptor with KAC, chainfist, heavy flamer

7 devastators with cherub and 4 lascannons
2x 5 model hellblaster squads with assault
incinerator

4 assault bolter inceptors

Id put the Jump pack on the librarian since the Lt is likely going to be paling around with Pedro anyway.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Uroboros posted:

Id put the Jump pack on the librarian since the Lt is likely going to be paling around with Pedro anyway.

That's fair.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zark the Damned posted:

3 Units of 3 Zoanthropes can create a psychic barrage, but 2 units of 5 cannot :)

Well yes, it makes a significant difference whether you're committing 2 or 3 force org slots to the same unit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Tyranid Relics:

Chameleonic Mutations
(kraken only)
-1 for range targeting this model

Hyperactive Biology
-covered by GW-

Slayer Sabres
(Leviathan w Monstrous Boneswords)
S User, AP2 3 Damage
+1 attack
if against infantry or biker model suffers dmg from this weapon but not slain at end of fight phase, roll d3. if result is greater than wounds remaining on the model, the model is slain.

Slimer Maggot Infestation
-Covered by GW-

Balethorn Cannon
-Covered by GW-

The Maw-Claws of Thyrax
(models with rc, or mrc)
when this model slays an enemy model in the fight phase. u can reroll hits in the subsequent fight phase for this model.

The Norn Crown
Friendly <hive fleet> do not suffer the penalties in their hit/charge rolls from IB ability when within 30 inch of this model.

The Miasma Cannon
-Covered by GW-

Infrasonic Roar
Jorgmungandr Monster only.

Enemy unit within 6 inch of this model must subtract 1 from LD.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Alright, I'll take a "hard to hit" mod on a Flyrant. Good enough.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So Chameleonic Mutations on a spore cyst Carnifex is the definition of a dick move, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Bee posted:

So Chameleonic Mutations on a spore cyst Carnifex is the definition of a dick move, right?

Not game-breaking but it's certainly a nice idea. A giant screaming cloud of spores with a predator-style camo Carnifex inside.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

PierreTheMime posted:

Not game-breaking but it's certainly a nice idea. A giant screaming cloud of spores with a predator-style camo Carnifex inside.

And thanks to being Kraken, it can keep charging again and again and again for mortal wounds and free +1s to hit.

First Old One Eye gets you, and then comes his Stand.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

Relics can only go on characters, and presumably OOE has the "named characters can't take relics" restriction, so this doesn't work.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Nids just got an LD Bomb:

Screamer-Killer + Infrasonic Roar + Feast Stratagem + the Horror = -4 LD

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Relics can only go on characters, and presumably OOE has the "named characters can't take relics" restriction, so this doesn't work.

poo poo, you're right. Forgot despite their icon value and lone unit status, Carnifexes were just regular monstrous creatures.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Bee posted:

Other codexes have relics limited to characters only (and not named characters) so I expect it will be the same for nids. Most of these limited to or only effective on a Hive Tyrant

PierreTheMime posted:

I don't know if it's a typo of not, but they mention a 40-model unit of Termagants. :stonk: Time for 240 Devourer shots!

Welp, they corrected it :/

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

poo poo, you're right. Forgot despite their icon value and lone unit status, Carnifexes were just regular monstrous creatures.

It would be nice and pretty fluffy to let Monsters who aren't characters take them in this codex though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, reading the HQ post again they stress "characters," especially focusing on the Hive Tyrant. Unless the Tyranid relic stratagem lets them pass adaptations around to normal units, it seems like the Tyrant and the Prime will be the main artifact carriers.

With the Prime capable of sneaking within units, though, something tells me he'll make for a real surprise when given a proper relic.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

Yeah, reading the HQ post again they stress "characters," especially focusing on the Hive Tyrant. Unless the Tyranid relic stratagem lets them pass adaptations around to normal units, it seems like the Tyrant and the Prime will be the main artifact carriers.

With the Prime capable of sneaking within units, though, something tells me he'll make for a real surprise when given a proper relic.

Yeah, what non-named characters even are there? Tyrant, Prime, probably Neurothrope now, Broodlord? Is that all?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Floppychop posted:

Anyone have some tips for this list before I assemble them all?

I'm not an armylist commenter really, but it's Templars so I thought I'd chime in. One of the big advantages of Crusader Squads is that they can get both heavy/special/power weapons at min size. I'm not saying you have to minmax or anything, but taking advantage of those weapon choices is a must. I don't know what's riding in what but at the moment if I was playing against you I'd just focus down the plasma company vets and your handful of vehicles and defang the army pretty hard. Regular Marines on foot without any rides or special weapons are just going to get merked in any given game - even in 900 point games I've played, my footslogging-heavy Templars just got wrecked. You might have the numbers there to survive some shooting, but you're not putting out much hurt outside of the Leviathan and Stormraven.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Corrode posted:

It's really funny to me when people get all "GW IS SO BAD AT WRITING RULES" and it turns out that actually they have terrible reading comprehension.

It'd be much clearer to then say "if you have 3 units of at least 2 zoans within 6", one can..."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bee posted:

Primes are my favorite tyranid model :) this should be fun indeed

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zark the Damned posted:

Fun thing which no doubt GW will errata/faq sometime:

RAW Broodlords can't eat brains because the stratagem says Genestealer and not GENESTEALER.

I wonder if that means there will be named Lictors or Lictor variants since that's the only keyword in that list.

I imagine the genestealer being named and not keyworded is to prevent shenanigans with a GSC army trying to claim the stratagem with purestrains.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if that means there will be named Lictors or Lictor variants since that's the only keyword in that list.

I imagine the genestealer being named and not keyworded is to prevent shenanigans with a GSC army trying to claim the stratagem with purestrains.

There's already a named Lictor - Deathleaper.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm actually legit considering fielding a Maleceptor for once. They got a few tweaks; a minor points reduction, can now cast 2 powers per turn and the invuln is now 4++.

However the big change is that you can now reliably move into the best position to dole out mortal wounds. After jumping out of the pod, they can use the Metabolic Movement strat to get up close where you can 'snipe' the ideal target with both Smite and Psychic Scream, or if there's quite a few units nearby just activate psychic overload which can now do more mortal wounds with a good roll.
Once the Maleceptor has blown it's load you still have a monster with a solid invuln covering most of an opponent's army with shadow in the warp, and able to toss out more mortal wounds to anything nearby. Plus if it's Kronos, you can then spring the anti-psyker stratagem too.

It might be the new distraction fex.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, what non-named characters even are there? Tyrant, Prime, probably Neurothrope now, Broodlord? Is that all?

Are Trygon Primes characters?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JoshTheStampede posted:

Lictors, Tervigons and Malanthropes too.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Are Trygon Primes characters?

Trygon Primes aren't characters in the index. Really hoping that changed, as they could do with S8 attacks

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

And there's no real chance the Broodlord or Venomthrope can use most of these stratagems, either. The rending claws and chameleon artifacts could be good for a Broodlord, though.

Speaking of a Broodlord, in their attempt at cutting down on GSC shenanigans they prevented the Broodlord from licking brains free of their command points. Oops.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Someone run the math for me. Vs a variety of multiwound targets is a gryphonne with autocannon or twin HB better? I have a friend with a ton of steel legion that's building lists with 5+ chimeras and not much more than HKs, sentinels, and melta vets for anti vehicle.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

And there's no real chance the Broodlord or Venomthrope can use most of these stratagems, either. The rending claws and chameleon artifacts could be good for a Broodlord, though.

Speaking of a Broodlord, in their attempt at cutting down on GSC shenanigans they prevented the Broodlord from licking brains free of their command points. Oops.

Can broodlords even take feeder tendrils now?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SRM posted:

I'm not an armylist commenter really, but it's Templars so I thought I'd chime in. One of the big advantages of Crusader Squads is that they can get both heavy/special/power weapons at min size. I'm not saying you have to minmax or anything, but taking advantage of those weapon choices is a must. I don't know what's riding in what but at the moment if I was playing against you I'd just focus down the plasma company vets and your handful of vehicles and defang the army pretty hard. Regular Marines on foot without any rides or special weapons are just going to get merked in any given game - even in 900 point games I've played, my footslogging-heavy Templars just got wrecked. You might have the numbers there to survive some shooting, but you're not putting out much hurt outside of the Leviathan and Stormraven.

I'm planning on having Helbrecht, Emperor's Champion, the plasma Company Vets, a 5-man Crusader squad, and the Leviathan riding in the Stormraven. The crusader squad is there mainly if the Stormraven bites it and I need sacrificial models. General plan was to have it fly over to the enemy deployment on T1, dump everyone, and then they all shoot/charge whatever is most important that they can get to.

I have to say I think I like the idea of dual chainsword Vanguard Vets more than I think they'll actually perform well.

Think I should slim down the Crusader squads to take advantage of them being able to take special, heavy, and sarge weapons?

I have a small amount of SoB that I've thought about allying in, but the Leviathan and Stormraven chew up too many points. Those two pretty much there to stay, mainly because I like the models.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Artum posted:

Can broodlords even take feeder tendrils now?

Feeder Tendrils aren't a thing - that strat replaces them as wargear.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JoshTheStampede posted:

Feeder Tendrils aren't a thing - that strat replaces them as wargear.

Thats what I mean though, if broodlords never had feeder tendrils as an option before why would they get the stratagem thats about using feeder tendrils.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
They just put color schemes up for the 4 fleets that didn't have an official one on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page for those that are interested.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Looks like admech are on the backburner since it turns out 2 blocks of custodes in land raiders runs me up ~1160pts, talons will be a very quick army to paint.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
For the people who were asking for official colour schemes:

Hydra looks gorgeous with the black carapace but gently caress me if I'm painting another black army in a row.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Oh nice, turns out I've been painting Kronos for the last 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Warriors look so drat rad, will this be the edition where they’re actually not bad?