Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha a couple of weeks ago Movie Bob put out a trailer for a "BvS Sucks" project he was working on and the first half came out yesterday and it's an hour and a half long. So comparatively we all like that movie very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wait, that was just part one :stare: Even by the bloated standards of Chipman's "Really That" series that's nutsy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I love that no one puts this much energy into explaining why the latest beige cube from Marvel is the best ever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone said it best: I'm not going to watch a 90 minute review unless it's made by a pizza roll loving serial killer

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought it was going to be a long rant of quibbles, but I like that he separates both quibbles and things he personally doesn't like from the actual flaws in the film. A lot of people think "I didn't like it, therefore it was bad."

Halloween Jack posted:

I love that no one puts this much energy into explaining why the latest beige cube from Marvel is the best ever.

Most marvel films hit the very low bar of "Worth watching" so nobody has to do an hour long dissertation on why someone else should see them. The films that rise above "good enough" like Winter Soldier do actually have a bunch of in-depth reviews explaining why they're so good. Sorry the DCEU is 1 for 4. Justice League looks like it might be good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This isn't a movie forum so we don't have to pretend those kinds of videos have value here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I thought it was going to be a long rant of quibbles, but I like that he separates both quibbles and things he personally doesn't like from the actual flaws in the film. A lot of people think "I didn't like it, therefore it was bad."

Most marvel films hit the very low bar of "Worth watching" so nobody has to do an hour long dissertation on why someone else should see them. The films that rise above "good enough" like Winter Soldier do actually have a bunch of in-depth reviews explaining why they're so good. Sorry the DCEU is 1 for 4. Justice League looks like it might be good.

He tends to be generally fair and consistent with his reviews, which sets him apart from a lot of other internet film critics. An hour and a half though!!!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other news, I don't think this has been posted, Danny Elfman has confirmed he is going to use his Batman score for Batman's scenes in Justice League. And the John Williams Score for Superman will also be used.

So that's at least two* confirmed good scores that will be in this film.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/danny-elfman-confirms-that-he-will-bring-back-his-classic-batman-theme-for-justice-league/

* = Hot take, I think it will be there since I really like the Wonder Woman score.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Controversial opinion: Zimmer's Superman score is better than Williams

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Question IRL posted:

In other news, I don't think this has been posted, Danny Elfman has confirmed he is going to use his Batman score for Batman's scenes in Justice League. And the John Williams Score for Superman will also be used.

So that's at least two* confirmed good scores that will be in this film.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/danny-elfman-confirms-that-he-will-bring-back-his-classic-batman-theme-for-justice-league/

* = Hot take, I think it will be there since I really like the Wonder Woman score.

gently caress Elfman basically. Have you listened to the tracks that were released? They sound awful.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I agree with this. Williams Superman theme just doesn't hold up all that well imo. Works in the Donner films sure, but keep it there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If I could remember any of the music Zimmer did for Superman maybe I could argue with you about this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reeves and Cavill's Supermen are also completely different characters, as are Keaton and Affleck's Batmen.

Using the theme for these characters you might as well be using the Superman theme for Iron Man or the Batman them for Green Lantern. It just doesn't make any sense.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah. Zimmer did do an excellent job considering he was on a hiding to nothing though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like the original Superman theme would be very, very out of place with this Superman

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The only problem with the Williams score is that at any given moment it could transition into the Star Wars theme and you wouldn't notice.

But really, 1975-1983 was one hell of a run for Williams.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yeah, they shouldn't need to bank on nostalgia for this one. I bet Elfman had the idea of bringing the old themes in and thought he was the most amazing genius ever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Halloween Jack posted:

Nobody really puts that much effort into explaining why anything is the best ever. The only thing that gets that much effort is explaining why things sucked and are flawed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

The only problem with the Williams score is that at any given moment it could transition into the Star Wars theme and you wouldn't notice.

But really, 1975-1983 was one hell of a run for Williams.

It was quite distracting when I realised that Hedwig's theme is essentially a rearrangement of the Force theme.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

purple death ray posted:

If I could remember any of the music Zimmer did for Superman maybe I could argue with you about this

The piano/drum tune has become pretty iconic for the DCEU Superman imo. It's an easily hummable track, and a lot of people I know who aren't super into comic book movies are very much able to quickly identify this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ojmJjbOgE

as Superman's theme song. Most of them have never seen the Donner films though.

[edit] Out of context, to me Zimmer's theme conveys inspiration, strength and determination, boldness and courage, warmth and kindness while Williams' Superman theme, also out of context, just comes off kitschy/cheesy/dated in comparison. Still heroic sure, but it doesn't match the DCEU Superman.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 2, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Halloween Jack posted:

Lindsey Ellis had a pretty good video on GotG2. Not 'the best ever', but she liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VulkN5OLEM

Mulva posted:

Nobody really puts that much effort into explaining why anything is the best ever. The only thing that gets that much effort is explaining why things sucked and are flawed.

Movies with Mikey are pretty good, positive reviews.

EDIT: You can't really compare Williams and Zimmer, they are products of different eras and different roles in film music. Personally I like Zimmer but all his stuff sounds pretty similar to each other so I really doubt I can place any particular song.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 2, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

And they average about 20, 25 minutes. This is part one and is clocking in at an hour and a half.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

teagone posted:

The piano/drum tune has become pretty iconic for the DCEU Superman imo. It's an easily hummable track, and a lot of people I know who aren't super into comic book movies are very much able to quickly identify this:

as Superman's theme song. Most of them have never seen the Donner films though.

[edit] Out of context, to me Zimmer's theme conveys inspiration, strength and determination, boldness and courage, warmth and kindness while Williams' Superman theme, also out of context, just comes off kitschy/cheesy/dated in comparison. Still heroic sure, but it doesn't match the DCEU Superman.

Sorry absolutely nothing about the dceu movies qualifies as "iconic" yet. Wonder Woman and her theme/the no man's land scene are going to be, sure, and maybe other things will too eventually, but you don't get to be iconic after two movies which could be described as "okay" if you were feeling generous

Not saying the music is bad, I'm a fan of Zimmer and overall the soundtrack of BvS is pretty good, but it's not close to "iconic"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Sorry absolutely nothing about the dceu movies qualifies as "iconic" yet. Wonder Woman and her theme/the no man's land scene are going to be, sure, and maybe other things will too eventually, but you don't get to be iconic after two movies which could be described as "okay" if you were feeling generous

Not saying the music is bad, I'm a fan of Zimmer and overall the soundtrack of BvS is pretty good, but it's not close to "iconic"

That's now how I meant to use iconic. I was more so using it in context of the DCEU, not in general or transcending the genre or whatever. Zimmer's Superman theme is one of the best things to come out of the DCEU (imo), which makes it one of its more memorable components of the franchise, much like Wonder Woman's theme. That's what I meant, so I guess replace iconic with memorable if my use of iconic is bothersome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

teagone posted:

I really like the DCEU Superman theme, to me it sounds properly "Superman," but there's one bit I hate, and it's that crescendo that's about 4:23. I love everything about it except for that bit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

catlord posted:

I really like the DCEU Superman theme, to me it sounds properly "Superman," but there's one bit I hate, and it's that crescendo that's about 4:23. I love everything about it except for that bit.

Don't think that's in the official one, just in that extended version. That YT I embedded was just the first result I got linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EngKxF3Cqh4

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Halloween Jack posted:

I rather have a beige sugar cube that I know I will like over and over instead of a pretty looking thing that has a bad after taste, but makes me think about the condition of mankind.

Fangz posted:

Lindsey Ellis had a pretty good video on GotG2. Not 'the best ever', but she liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VulkN5OLEM

EDIT: You can't really compare Williams and Zimmer, they are products of different eras and different roles in film music. Personally I like Zimmer but all his stuff sounds pretty similar to each other so I really doubt I can place any particular song.
I think James Gunn even saw that video and posted it on his facebook/twitter for people to watch it even though he didn't agree with it on a lot of parts

Movies with Mikey are fun, glad someone has the gumption to say that the Lost World Jurassic Park is a good fun movie except for one lovely scene that everyone brings up

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 2, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I really liked the MoS score, especially the learning to fly segment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

I rather have a beige sugar cube that I know I will like over and over instead of a pretty looking thing that has a bad after taste, but makes me think about the condition of mankind.

Where's the excitement and fun if you don't take a risk on an adventure? The outcome might not be what you like or expect, but at least you tried something different.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

teagone posted:

Where's the excitement and fun if you don't take a risk on an adventure? The outcome might not be what you like or expect, but at least you tried something different.
Eh I like the safe choice because I want to be sure that I'm entertained and plus the fact that I just don't like the DC brand much anymore.

E: Plus I don't want to get burned out on superhero movies so I only see Marvel studios ones except for anything with Deadpool in it since that is what got me into Marvel comics.

If I want to see an interesting movie I'll go watch something like John Wick 2 or Baby Driver or Logan Lucky or Bladerunner 2049... man this might be the year I've gone to the movies the most.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 2, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Nothing about the Man of Steel movie lived up to just how loving cool the trailer and that music was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

That was the Superman movie I wanted

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
it was a really good movie, not seeing the issue

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked the trailer with Zod's speech on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've only been to the cinema once this year. I saw Spider-Man in the summer. Normally, I only go twice at most and I'm definitely going to see Star Wars, so that'll probably be it for me. (I went to the theatre an unusually high number of times last year (three).)

However, I've watched loads and loads of movies this year on dvd. Probably more than in each of the last three or four years.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

zoux posted:

Haha a couple of weeks ago Movie Bob put out a trailer for a "BvS Sucks" project he was working on and the first half came out yesterday and it's an hour and a half long. So comparatively we all like that movie very much.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm this review says that Zack Snyder is a good director within the first five minutes so clearly it's just bunk yo~

(ok, I ain't got time to watch this whole thing right now but this guy talks big words way too fast for me. :v:)

(I did really like this point he made: "Most of the time a bad movie is not bad because there isn't any good in it, but because what good is there can't help it.")

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

teagone posted:

I dunno if I can think of any real-life experience where I didn't get what I wanted or at least something that I liked and still walked away with a pleasant disposition.

enigmahfc posted:

Nothing about the Man of Steel movie lived up to just how loving cool the trailer and that music was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

That was the Superman movie I wanted

This just reminded me of all the things I didn't like about that movie. It also reminded me of the part where Clark briefly becomes Wolverine and saves a boat or whatever.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody ever wanted anything but the Batman 89 score and the Superman 78 score. At least they have finally clued into that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Some of you should actually read what Elfman said about his use of Superman's theme before you bitch about it. Because he said it's for a small moment and it's not used at all how you're thinking.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is there any reason to see Thor in Imax or would I just be wasting money?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Zimmer's Superman theme is loving fantastic. The real letdown in the DCEU's music is that Batman's got nothing worth talking about.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was quite distracting when I realised that Hedwig's theme is essentially a rearrangement of the Force theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAA9Llwx-rU

Not to mention how much Williams borrows from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Dvorak's New World Symphony and Holst's The Planets. And liberally from himself (like reworking stuff from Hook for Attack of the Clones, or Superman / Star Wars). To be clear this is all fine and normal, and composers have been doing this kind of thing for centuries.

X-O posted:

Some of you should actually read what Elfman said about his use of Superman's theme before you bitch about it. Because he said it's for a small moment and it's not used at all how you're thinking.

Tyler and Elfman's Age of Ultron score (which I've come around to) is one of the only times in the MCU that they've brought together themes from other movies well, like having a little bit from Iron Man Three during the Hulkbuster scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

How are we thinking it's being used? I've heard the track where Williams' Superman theme is used as like a flourish. It sounds terrible and shoehorned in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLKtI4yYqw

2:26 is when it gets obnoxious.

[edit] Unless that's fake? Because I hope it's fake.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 3, 2017

• Locked thread