Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

unbutthurtable posted:

I'm thinking that instead of returning my Pixel 2 XL and just keeping my Pixel (1) XL, I'll still do the return but replace it with a Pixel 2 (reg). There's so much drama and news about the Pixel 2 XL that it's tough to find info about the smaller one. Is there anything I should be aware of (outside of the obvious size issue) before making the decision?

The Pixel 2 is fantastic. It does everything that it's big brother does except the screen isn't 4k but also doesn't look like poo poo.

I'm returning my 2XL and getting a Pixel 2 to match my wife's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I somewhat agree, the Moto X Pure pulled it off, but it was only on when it has an active notification or when your waved your hand over it.

So, you can do the same concept, just need to do a bit more work to pull it off.

That's not an always-on display then, you p much need an OLED to do one.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Yeah, I've used tapet before and it's great at what it does but I want to just be able to set my own folder of photo wallpapers for rotation, not their patterns.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

The DK2 used a note 5? oled overclocked to 75hz and that was years ago now. Samsung is probably just saving that poo poo for the next big thing.

Note 3. And it was 1080p

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MikusR posted:

Note 3. And it was 1080p

Yea but that screen debuted 4 years ago. certainly they could improve it by now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Eezee posted:

You can't do always-on displays without OLED, so I very much doubt you are going to find many top end phones without them in the future.

What would you say if I told you that the G6 has the option of an always on display?

Besides, "LG is loving nuts and desperate to copy anything Samsung's phones can do," I mean.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pixel 2 is like a mm bigger than Pixel 1, completely triggered.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It just may not be a focus for R&D right now. I think it's clear that OLED panels can be driven that fast (LG's own TVs are 120hz native), but there may be tradeoffs that aren't apparent with the current VR applications like power consumption or brightness. You don't need a 1000 nit display or have to worry about battery consumption in a set of wired ambient light controlled VR goggles.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

unbutthurtable posted:

I'm thinking that instead of returning my Pixel 2 XL and just keeping my Pixel (1) XL, I'll still do the return but replace it with a Pixel 2 (reg). There's so much drama and news about the Pixel 2 XL that it's tough to find info about the smaller one. Is there anything I should be aware of (outside of the obvious size issue) before making the decision?

There is something you should know about the Pixel 2...

...it's good.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

There is something you should know about the Pixel 2...

...it's good.

Can confirm

Only screen protectors I can find are like $40 CAD at the carrier stores, and all of the cheap ones at the hole in the wall shops are sold out. Guess I'll just wait for some more reviews to come out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this weird that I have to use a 3rd party app to transfer SMS to my new phone or did I miss something when I plugged the new one and old one together during initial setup?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
You missed it. The transfer tool should deal with SMS just fine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also, amazon sent me a OG Pixel XL case by mistake, and won't take it back, so if any goons want it. It's a nice Lumoin case, clear TPU with a kickstand. It's yours for free, shoot me a PM and I'll mail it to you.

Self quoting if anyone wants this.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Mister Facetious posted:

What would you say if I told you that the G6 has the option of an always on display?

Besides, "LG is loving nuts and desperate to copy anything Samsung's phones can do," I mean.

Sounds like it would completely ruin battery life.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FogHelmut posted:

Is this weird that I have to use a 3rd party app to transfer SMS to my new phone or did I miss something when I plugged the new one and old one together during initial setup?

Pretty sure you missed it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I think it's clear that OLED panels can be driven that fast (LG's own TVs are 120hz native)

Those use only white oleds.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Eezee posted:

Sounds like it would completely ruin battery life.

There's two brightness settings; "I can barely see it", and "where did my battery life go?".

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MikusR posted:

Those use only white oleds.

That's true, it might be a better example to say the PlayStation VR uses an OLED panel running at 120Hz.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
oh no

https://twitter.com/AndroidPolice/status/926168811643924480

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

That sucks, the software is the main reason to get a Pixel in the first place.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The software isn't bad, it's just missing.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I guess all those concerns about the phones sucking in extremely preventable ways thanks to LG nonexistent QA were true

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't forget, we had reports of someone getting a regular Pixel 2 that visibly failed QA as well.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I got this Incipio NGP Pure case in blue for my Pixel 2 today and it's pretty nice. It's flexible and super grippy, but is also actually kinda firm. I've only used TPU cases on my phones before, but this one seems slightly thicker, and the fit is extremely snug. So this might be a good choice for someone who doesn't want a chunky case, but thinks some of the other minimal cases are lacking.

My previous cases have been clear, and this blue looks pretty great with the all white phone peeking through. Another nice touch is, on the cutout for the camera the hole is lined with a matte black ring, perhaps designed to prevent any glare from the flash. So while this case is twice as much as some similar ones, I feel like the quality is there.

Best Buy also carries these for the same price, in case you've got membership points or coupons there.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

logikv9 posted:

I guess all those concerns about the phones sucking in extremely preventable ways thanks to LG nonexistent QA were true

It was a very predictable outcome, it was funny to see all the goons who said Google was in charge so obviously we wouldn't see any of the standard LG fuckups

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
You guys do realize that "THX certified DAC" is just marketing? THX cert is a thing but it is not what you think it is: it's about experience and not hard specs.

http://www.tested.com/tech/241-thx-certification-useful-standard-or-useless-gimmick/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The last thing I got partially due to the THX Certified bit, and partially due to the great reviews, was my still excellent Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 setup from 2000.

Anything since then seems to have lost its original meaning.

Though, Logitech has some fancy new 5.1 1000W setup that's THX certified... If I have a system killing issue with my 4.1's eventually, that might be worth looking into...

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The HTC U11+ was at some point the Pixel 2 XL by HTC that got cancelled:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/02/htc-u11-based-muskie-cancelled-htc-pixel-2-xl/

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I'm so glad I didn't keep trying to buy a G6.

3 out of 3 tries and all had defects, and now I've seen my buddy's Pixel XL 2 with the cheese grater screen circa Galaxy Nexus pentile and I'm just :smuggo: about it all.

Screw LG.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
people still buy more than 2.1 speaker systems for computers? I thought most gamers had moved to headphones

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat the razer phone sounds tempting but my experience with everything thats not their laptops has been pretty dismal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

drat the razer phone sounds tempting but my experience with everything thats not their laptops has been pretty dismal.

Their PC equipment isn't bad, it's just obnoxious.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Where is the Google Now feed in the Pixel 2? There is nothing to the left of the home screen.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread: It isn't bad, it's just obnoxious.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

Their PC equipment isn't bad, it's just obnoxious.

I had one of those hand keyboard things they made that were reskined belkin things and it broke like a month after use. My logitech g13 has been working now for like 6 years.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Got my Pixel 2 XL today and lost the screen lottery pretty hard. Obviously it's worse because we are all nerds who are looking for it immediately upon unboxing the phone, but the blue tint is noticeable within 5 or 10 degrees of shifting off center. I called support immediately and was basically given the "this is a feature, not a bug" speech. I might try calling again later to see if another rep has a different take but at this point it seems like they aren't willing to RMA anymore, so my only option may be returning it for a refund and then waiting a few months for this poo poo to get cleared up (or just switch to the Note 8/iphone X). drat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FogHelmut posted:

Where is the Google Now feed in the Pixel 2? There is nothing to the left of the home screen.

I swipe right and it's there :shrug:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

utonium posted:

I got this Incipio NGP Pure case in blue for my Pixel 2 today and it's pretty nice. It's flexible and super grippy, but is also actually kinda firm. I've only used TPU cases on my phones before, but this one seems slightly thicker, and the fit is extremely snug. So this might be a good choice for someone who doesn't want a chunky case, but thinks some of the other minimal cases are lacking.

My previous cases have been clear, and this blue looks pretty great with the all white phone peeking through. Another nice touch is, on the cutout for the camera the hole is lined with a matte black ring, perhaps designed to prevent any glare from the flash. So while this case is twice as much as some similar ones, I feel like the quality is there.

Best Buy also carries these for the same price, in case you've got membership points or coupons there.

I got $5 from Best Buy's membership thing. I might pick this case up tomorrow. Thanks!

If I don't though, does anyone know if the fabric cases are any good from Google or should I just go with the Incipio?

What about the Spigen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07476PMMF/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1P14OB7WEHJZV&colid=LO11YHPKO47V ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

this, but can I also water cool the phone

Any phone that's IP68 would probably be fine to use while you're holding under the running faucet, so there's some good water cooling for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I swipe right and it's there :shrug:

I rebooted and it's there now.

The black front makes these bezels seem larger than they are. The button bar at the bottom is black and blends with the bezel, making it this huge singular section. It was less noticable with the white front on the Pixel 1.